• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Foxxsoxx

Snapmap is now amazing. If you haven't used it since launch, like me, give it a shot. You can do incredible things with it.

Really looking forward to it when I buy the game. I redboxed it when it came out but once it goes on sale I'm ready to dive back in.

Did they ever make the MP better or did they quickly abandon it?

daedalius

Watch the Noclip doom special guys, it's pretty amazing so far.

Evidently I need to check out the snapmap campaigns.

I was kinda hoping the whole first games episodes would get recreated.

Effect

Finally finished installing the game this evening. Wow this thing is big and I hope it's worth it. Played a bit of the single player before trying out the multiplayer for a several matches. I really don't know what to think about the multiplayer in this game. It's not bad in terms of performance but something about it is just off. I can't really put my finger on what is wrong with it. Yet at the same time I don't want to play several hours to figure it out.

Clearly people are playing it or they wouldn't be coming out with so much content. What's the general consensus on the multiplayer from those here? Is there one?

Clearly people are playing it or they wouldn't be coming out with so much content. What's the general consensus on the multiplayer from those here? Is there one?

The season pass is all multiplayer content, and was planned before the game came out. Had they made their DLC plans after the game came out, it would probably be all snapmap and solo stuff.

A lot of people hate the multiplayer, and a lot feel kind of "meh" about it. There are some that genuinely enjoy it, but I think most people find it either boring or really awful. I personally like it, but it's hard to spend lots of time with it because of other multiplayer games.

Effect

The season pass is all multiplayer content, and was planned before the game came out. Had they made their DLC plans after the game came out, it would probably be all snapmap and solo stuff.

A lot of people hate the multiplayer, and a lot feel kind of "meh" about it. There are some that genuinely enjoy it, but I think most people find it either boring or really awful. I personally like it, but it's hard to spend lots of time with it because of other multiplayer games.

I see they are adding solo content now with the SnapMap feature. It should be interesting to see how things turn out with people being able to create their own campaigns. I wonder how featured it is.

Meh might be a good description of how I'm feeling about mulitplayer after playing it. I don't think it's awful or anywhere close to it but if I had to really put it into words thinking about it more I think it's to fast paced for the size of the areas you are in and the speed you move. So you're just reacting and there is a cycle so that just repeats no matter the mode or map. BIf I look at something like Call of Duty while the gameplay is fast I actually have time to actually think about what I'm going to do unless I get surprised by a person out of nowhere.

It also feels very claustrophobic because of the above. That I do not like at all. So perhaps the map design is a big part of the problem. It's a feeling that I do not get from the campaign at all and the areas are much bigger there so that's likely a factor.

Ixion

if I had to really put it into words thinking about it more I think it's to fast paced for the size of the areas you are in and the speed you move. So you're just reacting and there is a cycle so that just repeats no matter the mode or map. BIf I look at something like Call of Duty while the gameplay is fast I actually have time to actually think about what I'm going to do unless I get surprised by a person out of nowhere.

DOOM's multiplayer is all about constant movement and managing the pickups around the map. If the maps were wide open then the player would be much more encouraged to camp, instead of constantly weaving through tighter areas.

On the other hand, the campaign in DOOM can have more open areas because the vast majority of enemies don't have guns that instantly hit you when shot. Instead they either try to melee you or they shoot a projectile that can be dodged. Contrast that with multiplayer where we have guns that can instantly hit other players.

So DOOM's multiplayer does have strategy, mainly in the form of managing pickups. That results in playing much differently than you would play a Call of Duty game. So don't just think about seeking opposing players in DOOM's multiplayer. You have to make decisions like "Should I grab that Mega Health over there, or should I go after that enemy that just passed by even though I only have 60 health?"

Also, I recommend jamming some of your own music when playing the multiplayer. I use the Spotify app to play some Metal/Synthwave/Etc, and it improves the feel a lot.

avens

Neo Member
I want to play the campaign once again. Haven't launched the game since the first week.

After all the patching, including Vulkan support, should I change any setting, use Vulkan or something? I have a 980ti.

Thanks!

SlickVic

Just played the first 2 levels and while I know this is just a small appetizer of what's to come, it already feels so intense. The combat really feels like the essence of 'kill or be killed' and constantly being on the move to avoid the latter.

Think I might stick to just playing a level a day. If only to give my heart and nerves a little time to recover in between, which I feel will become more and more necessary as the intensity ratchets up.

Ordered a copy of this yesterday, and I'll be picking it up today. The Danny O'Dwyer documentary pretty much sold me on this alone, even though I wasn't overly keen on the demo. Gonna do me some ripping and tearing tonight!

juventino

Banned
Not enjoying this game at all, there's a reason that shooters moved on from this frantic pace. Beautiful graphics, but everything else is lackluster. Should've trusted my gut on this one

Manu

Not enjoying this game at all, there's a reason that shooters moved on from this frantic pace. Beautiful graphics, but everything else is lackluster. Should've trusted my gut on this one

lol, "lackluster." The reason shooters moved on from this style is because of people like you.

juventino

Banned
lol, "lackluster." The reason shooters moved on from this style is because of people like you.

Sorry i hurt your feelings. Doom is not a very good game, period. I liked Doom... 30 years ago. Good for nostalgia but not much else. If you liked it great, but i really didn't, and as they say, to each their own

lack·lus·ter (ˈlakˌləstər)
adjective
lacking in vitality, force, or conviction; uninspired or uninspiring.

You must have played a different game. Tastes are subjective of course, but c'mon now. Lackluster?

moonbeam

Regarding the latest Doom patch (1.09) on PS4, I paused it when it started downloading. I downloaded the prior patch (1.08) but I don't need anything in the latest patch.

Is it ok to not download it and just leave the download paused? Can I keep playing Doom as it currently is? I don't know how things work on PS4 but is it possible that at some stage it could fail to recognize that I already have the 1.08 patch installed and then start trying to download everything I've downloaded already again?

Manu

Sorry i hurt your feelings. Doom is not a very good game, period. I liked Doom... 30 years ago. Good for nostalgia but not much else. If you liked it great, but i really didn't, and as they say, to each their own

My feelings aren't hurt, thank you. It's just so funny when people come into threads and go "hey, you know thing that was critically acclaimed and pretty much everyone liked? I'm sorry but it's actually shit. This is fact. It's shit, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. My opinion is the only one that holds any weight. Sorry you had to find out this way."

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I just beated the first boss yesterday. I died around 20 times lol but man what a cool battle.

How many bosses the game have?

Ixion

I have played 15 hours and have not seen a single boss. This does not bode well as I slowly become bored of it. :(

DOOM takes about 12 hours to beat on average. You've played for 15 hours and you're not even 60% done. Da fuq u doin breh?

danthefan

I'm dying a lot when the bigger/meaner enemies show up. Is this game meant to be hard? Enjoyable anyway. On about the fourth chapter, how many are there in total?

danthefan

Alternating between rocket and gauss each shot is a good way to kill Revenants/ Hell Knights and up. Although the secret is that Imps can actually be the most threatening enemies.

Thanks. Don't think I have the Gauss yet but I definitely don't use the rocket launcher enough. Need to get better at switching between weapons. Have mostly just been using the shotgun so far really.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I killed the
second boss yesterday. That second stage was crazy.

SlickVic

Man, just as I thought I was getting the combat down and things felt like they were really clicking, that first boss really put me back in my place.
If I knew there were two parts, I wouldn't have wasted all my BFG shots in the first part when I probably didn't need to. But I guess I should be happy they gave a checkpoint in the middle.
. Thought I understood what I needed to do, but as is my issue with boss battles in general, executing on those strategies consistently to avoid taking too much damage is tough for me. Some of those boss attacks feel like you have just a split second to react to dodge, all the while trying to get your own shots in (reminds me why I'm terrible at fighting games). Wound up bumping the difficulty down to Easy and still barely squeaked by after a few more failed attempts.

Glad it's done, though to be honest I am dreading the next boss battle. Though they can still be quite tough, I feel I've at least gotten competent at dealing while the large groups of enemies the game typically throws at you. I run around the map so they lose track of me while I pick up health, ammo, powerups and pick off the weaker ones with glory kills. But that's obviously not how you can approach a boss battle.

nortonff

Man, just as I thought I was really getting the combat down and things felt like they were really clicking, that first boss really put me back in my place.
If I knew there were two parts, I wouldn't have wasted all my BFG shots in the first part when I probably didn't need to. But I guess I should be happy they gave a checkpoint in the middle.
. Thought I understood what I needed to do, but as is my issue with boss battles in general, executing on those strategies consistently to avoid taking too much damage is tough for me. Some of those boss attacks feel like you have just a split second to react to dodge, all the while trying to get your own shots in (reminds me why I'm terrible at fighting games). Wound up bumping the difficulty down to Easy and still barely squeaked by after a few more failed attempts.

Glad it's done, though to be honest I am dreading the next boss battle. Though they can still be quite tough, I feel I've at least gotten competent at dealing while the large groups of enemies the game typically throws at you. I run around the map so they lose track of me while I pick up health, ammo, powerups and pick off the weaker ones with glory kills. But that's obviously not how you can approach a boss battle.

Personally, I found the second boss easier than the first.

SlickVic

Personally, I found the second boss easier than the first.

Thanks, that's a bit reassuring and I hope that's how it is for me. Thought I had really figured out the combat the last couple levels I played, but now feels like I hit a brick wall after that boss battle. Hopefully things start to click again for me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For me the first boss was far and away the hardest. It took multiple attempts to take that mofo down.

And yes I was also screwed by the fact that it had two stages, but once I figured the fight out I came out feeling satisfied.

I just beat this now. I had been taking it extra slow and doing one chapter at a time, but I opted to just get through the final four or so tonight in one go.

The game wasn't doing it for me at first. Everything was all cool and bloody with top notch sound and animation, but I was kinda bored.

Then I kicked it to ultra violence some time before the first boss. Oooooh my god everything before was like driving with a emergency break. Didn't get stuck in any big spots, and difficulty was perfect. It might have cut a year or two from my lifespan, but that was so damn satisfying the whole way through.

My only major complaint is that the difficulty on ultra-violence kind of hits its peak pretty early. Every encounter felt more or less exactly as tough as the one before it. That should say a lot for the rate the game buffs you up vs the complexity of the encounters, but I didn't feel like there was a tension chart. It was either down when the game was quiet, or instantly at peak during encounters.

Only minor complaint is that the credits caught me off guard. I didn't know the game was ending. At least it wasn't Rage.

SlickVic

Yeah, you guys weren't kidding about the second boss being easier.
Was struggling with it initially, until I realized they seemed to design the encounter around using and abusing the rocket launcher. While getting the timing down was annoying, basically every time he sends out the shock orbs, if you time a rocket shot just right it instantly stuns him and you get some easy damage on him along with health and ammo. He seems to reduce sending as many shock orbs after his health is halved, so at that point I just got impatient and started using the BFG ammo to stun him faster. Fortunately, the "second part" of the fight was a lot more manageable than the first boss's. They didn't stand a chance.

Now to see what that final boss is like after I finish these next 2 levels.

I got to post there here, since nobody ever looks at the Linux threads...

Thanks to the removal of Donovo in DOOM, it became possible to play the game on Linux through Wine with direct Vulkan pass-through to the Linux graphic's driver. Wine-Staging was just updated to support DOOM 2016, and now the Linux community are starting to discover how amazing Vulkan can be on Linux for both AMD and NVidia graphics cards!

Take a look at this four way comparison between Windows 10 Pro and Steam OS Brewmaster. This is running on a i7-4790K with a Nvidia GTX 780: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hnI6KGTfjI

The SteamOS Vulkan drivers are almost equal in performance to their Windows 10 counterpart despite the game still having to run through a compatibility layer. Meanwhile the Linux OpenGL drivers are gimped in comparison to the Windows 10 version.

Here is another comparison of DOOM running on Windows 8.1 using the AMD Vulkan drivers vs running the game in OpenSUSE 42.2 with Wine-Staging and Vulkan pass through using the amdgpu-pro Linux drivers. Hardware is an i5 3330 with a Radeon HD 7970: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE . The Linux performance is close to Windows 8.1.

Extra video of DOOM running on Ubuntu with Wine on a GTX 1070: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk

This is gaining quite a bit of attention in the Linux community right now. It is really interesting to me.

PatzCU

Listening to the soundtrack on Spotify right now. Might just have to impulse purchase this from the Steam sale right now. This is the most energizing, intense and GOOD metal I've heard in a long time.

danthefan

I really should have seen this coming but just reached
Hell
. Game is massively entertaining. Keep dying a lot but meh, actually improved a bit. Switching between weapons and liberal use of rockets is fairly key.

I really should have seen this coming but just reached
Hell
. Game is massively entertaining. Keep dying a lot but meh, actually improved a bit. Switching between weapons and liberal use of rockets is fairly key.

Upgrade the double barrel shotgun. Upgrade the double shotgun and the machine gun that fires the rockets (forget what its called) IMO, those are the two most useful guns in the whole game short of the BFG.

Top Bottom