• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Upgrade the double barrel shotgun. Upgrade the double shotgun and the machine gun that fires the rockets (forget what its called) IMO, those are the two most useful guns in the whole game short of the BFG.

I'm with you on both of these. The rocket launcher triple fire lock-on upgrade is also great.

Just a quick question. Does this have some sort of Co-op feature on PS4? I know the main campaign doesn't but I'm sure I read somewhere that they added user generated content or something and you could do it through that.

Was just about to pick this up on sale and that would seal it for me.

Just a quick question. Does this have some sort of Co-op feature on PS4? I know the main campaign doesn't but I'm sure I read somewhere that they added user generated content or something and you could do it through that.

Was just about to pick this up on sale and that would seal it for me.

Through user created maps only, and I don't think you can do it split screen. No coop in the campaign.

SlickVic

Credits rolled and Doom is officially off the old backlog. Boss battles definitely felt like they got easier with each successive one. Part of that may be getting more accustomed to them, but did feel like the final boss ate more damage from Gauss siege. But personally didn't mind that at all and felt good to finally beat the game.

Overall, I think it took me to the halfway point of the game before the combat fully clicked for me. Incredibly fun game and definitely will have more to say about it in the GOTY thread. My only mild regret is not playing on PC as I'm sure most of my frustrations with post-death load times would have been greatly mitigated by playing on an SSD. I don't think my current PC could've run this at a locked 60 (which feels very important for this game) which is why I went PS4, and waiting on an upgrade would mean missing out playing this in 2016 for all the GOTY talks.

Ultimately I am happy to have had the chance to play this and witness first hand why this game gets so much praise (deservedly so).

malfcn

Pretty straight forward shooter. I don't know why, but the Spider Mastermind came out of nowhere.

Once the combat clicks it can be quite fun. With each unlock you feel slightly more god like, but not totally over powered.

Overall doesn't feel like goty for me, but quite good.

Carm

Has anyone run into a exploration bug on Advanced Research Complex? I found all secret and did challenges but, ran it twice now and it won't 100%, showing one ? Not filled in.

Googling I found one topic on the Steam forums with the problem but no real solution. They ran it two or three times, doing nothing different and it popped for them.

Edit: For whatever reason mega hp pickup didn't register the first two times.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly think this was one of the few western games to do boss battles correctly - I just wish there were more of them, or spaced out a little better. When I met the first boss around 9-10 hours in, and finished the game a few hours later...there's a pacing issue with the bosses.

But each boss required a bit of learning, experimenting to see what works, what doesn't work, while requiring at least a basic competency of the mechanics of the game. In my mind, that makes a great boss fight, and they all were. The reason that I really love boss battles like this is because once you learn it, once you learn how to approach the fight in the most optimal way, it becomes easier and easier and then you overcome it. A bad boss fight doesn't have that - it usually is way too easy and doesn't test skill at all (looking at you Mass Effect) or it's luck based, and you're just hoping that this is the time where everything goes perfect - there's no counter-play or counter-strategy. Not the case in DOOM, and it really stands out in terms of western games with good bosses.

Llyranor

I tried the demo earlier on Ultra-Violence, which sold me on the game. I bought it during the Black Friday steam sale, played a few levels on UV, then restarted on the hardest diff Nightmare.

I'm not even a big FPS fan nowadays, I've played my share over the years, and none have managed to captivate me in the longest time. Until Doom.

This game is great. Great music, great level design and exploration, great combat encounters with fast-paced satisfying combat. I love the onslaught of waves during the harder fights. The pace almost reminds me of Ninja Gaiden 2 with its relentless hordes of enemies.

So yes, Doom is amazing.

Would love some sort of coop horde mode DLC at some point.

sappyday

My copy just arrived and I'm eager to play but I don't really want to download the huge 28gb patch. Will I be missing out on anything in the single player campaign if I play it with none of the patches?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
This is 20€ on PSN and that and the Giant Bomb praise probably says I should buy it, right?

I loved original Doom so much, played it again not even 2 months ago and still love it, and I don't want to ruin my good feelings lol

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
This is 20€ on PSN and that and the Giant Bomb praise probably says I should buy it, right?

I loved original Doom so much, played it again not even 2 months ago and still love it, and I don't want to ruin my good feelings lol

Buy
it
now.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
jeez fine

It's amazing how the game manages to feel oldschool and modern at the same time. It's a perfect balance.
You can even place the weapons at the center of the screen like the classic Doom.

duckroll

The best thing about Doom so far aside from the excellent level design and awesome feel of mobility in the movement, is how LOL the lore is. Every time I pick up something about the DOOM MARINE, or get one of those hilarious narrations in Hell, I just crack up. It's like playing Diablo 2.

Oh and when I unlocked the second dossier for DOOM MARINE and it came with this classical art piece of the Doom Marine fighting demons like a church painting ROFLMAO. I love this game.

Is there any replayability of the game? New game mode? Gears of war horde mode? I really like horde mode stuff, hoping for something similar. If so, is it playable offline SP as well ad MP? How many modes are playable vs bots offline?

Probably buy this game soon due to gaf :) guess a goty edition is expected for 2017?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have any voice audio on ps4… is this a known thing?
Edit didn't download everything yet, nevermind

duckroll

Is there any replayability of the game? New game mode? Gears of war horde mode? I really like horde mode stuff, hoping for something similar. If so, is it playable offline SP as well ad MP? How many modes are playable vs bots offline?

Probably buy this game soon due to gaf :) guess a goty edition is expected for 2017?

The game is super replayable. You can pick any stage to replay after beating it. Tons of secrets, challenges, unlockables, collectibles, etc. There's an arcade mode as well where you go through stages for score attack instead. Multiplayer seems pretty fun too but it's pretty DLC heavy and I haven't really looked into it much yet.

Not sure about offline features.

My copy just arrived and I'm eager to play but I don't really want to download the huge 28gb patch. Will I be missing out on anything in the single player campaign if I play it with none of the patches?

Late reply, but if you"re not installing the patches, you have to deal with severe screen tearing, as the day one patch enabled v-sync on PS4 throughout the game. Also, some trophies might be bugged.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How big of a download is this game? Steam says I need 55gb available space, but is it actually a 55gb download?

duckroll

How big of a download is this game? Steam says I need 55gb available space, but is it actually a 55gb download?

You should have 80gig just to be safe. It's huge.

sfbb0Lo.jpg

Bisnic

I didn't buy any DLC, the game doesn't care, it downloads everything anyway. It's a pain.

Yeesh... looks like I'll have to delete the game when I'm done with it, considering my SSD only have 124gb left. Or I guess I could just install it on my 600gb HDD which still has lots of space left. I just don't like installing modern game on a HDD, I fear the loading times will be horrible.

amnesiac

Just picked this up on PS4. Getting a lot of framerate slowdowns. Apparently the update removes the screen tearing but I haven't heard anyone mention the framerate so I'm a bit worried. I'll come back to it tomorrow once the 30GB update downloads...

Weird since I had no issues with the demo.

SRTtoZ

Just picked this up on PS4. Getting a lot of framerate slowdowns. Apparently the update removes the screen tearing but I haven't heard anyone mention the framerate so I'm a bit worried. I'll come back to it tomorrow once the 30GB update downloads...

Weird, I don't have it on PS4 I have it on PC but ive been watching DSP playthrough the game on PS4 and I was surprised how good it looked and ran. I wonder if I just don't notice because of Youtube compression. Or maybe a patch fucked shit up?

ubiblu

Just played through it in two days on my PS4 Pro. Zero framerate issues, and pretty sure it isn't a Pro-supported title. Maybe rebuild DB on your PS4?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright holy shit this game is amazing. I wasn't a believer but fuuuck. Just found a bunch of secrets on map 2 and finished it and oh my god this game is so Doom.

You were all right!

Ixion

The PS4 version shouldn't have any framerate issues. So yeah, I would just wait until the update is done.

Bisnic

Surprised that my 970 can run this with Ultra on 1440p and keep a steady 60 FPS.

4K is another story though. :p

How many levels is there? Just finished the Foundry.

I also assume you can't upgrade everything with a full playthrough right?

Mr.Pig

So playing on Xbox one - what are the consensus best settings for controls? The default settings make me feel like I'm drunk.

Ixion

How many levels is there? Just finished the Foundry.

13 levels. So you have 10 more to go.

I also assume you can't upgrade everything with a full playthrough right?

You're able to replay all the levels you've beaten with your current setup, and you keep everything you acquire. So you can just replay levels to get anything else you missed. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain you can upgrade everything in one file. There's probably a trophy for it.

So playing on Xbox one - what are the consensus best settings for controls? The default settings make me feel like I'm drunk.

I use the Strafe preset since it allows for jumping while moving, which is big for a game like DOOM. As for the rest of the settings, a lot of people feel that completely disabling the aim smoothing (and any other auto-aim features) allows for more precision with a controller.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
You're able to replay all the levels you've beaten with your current setup, and you keep everything you acquire. So you can just replay levels to get anything else you missed. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain you can upgrade everything in one file. There's probably a trophy for it.

You can upgrade everything in one playthrough, including the Praetor suit, the weapons, and the runes.

Izuna

Banned

No acceleration or autoaim

100% and 86% for sensitivity, default if you can claw, otherwise whichever lets jump and aim simultaneously.

Jumping and shooting trivialises this game even on the hardest difficulties.

Siegmeyer

Just lost my save file (I think), posting in the hope someone has had the same and there's a workaround (on PS4 btw).

Cleared Titan's Realm on Ultra-Violence, hit Save&Exit when I finished. When I tried to reload it the screen read 'MAIN CHAPTER NAME' instead of the name of the next chapter, and the level it loads me into is just a black void with a bit of swirling mist.

Really annoying as I had all secrets, rune trials and most weapon masteries up to that point. I've tried shutting down and reloading - no joy, and I don't have a cloud save to fall back on.

Yeesh... looks like I'll have to delete the game when I'm done with it, considering my SSD only have 124gb left. Or I guess I could just install it on my 600gb HDD which still has lots of space left. I just don't like installing modern game on a HDD, I fear the loading times will be horrible.

Loading on a HDD is actually fine, not that much slower than a SSD.

SRTtoZ

Finished tonight, got it for Xmas, was taking my time with it. Absolute masterpiece. All I want to do is go back and find all the secrets, play on a harder difficulty, try out the arcade mode and whatnot. I'm actually a bit ashamed that I didn't shell out $60 for this when it was released but I was all in on Uncharted 4 then. Great game, want a sequel ASAP.

Top Bottom