• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Manu

I like metal... I like shooting demons ( or anything that moves )... I like shooting demons or anything that moves while listening to metal... Am I gonna like this game ?

image.php

Yes.

Javin98

Banned
So DOOM is currently on sale on Steam right now and I will most likely pick it up. Do we have any idea how long the deal lasts? I won't be able to get home until several hours from now and I'm afraid I'll miss the deal.

jambo

I like metal... I like shooting demons ( or anything that moves )... I like shooting demons or anything that moves while listening to metal... Am I gonna like this game ?

Read so many positive comments about this game and having finally completed Witcher 3 I find myself in need of a new single player game as most of my games tend to be MMO's or other online games. Sweet Zombie Jesus at 54gb download though!

Do it!

1Ue7DKM.gif

Finally shoved everything else aside to move through the last part of the campaign. I probably would have finished by now, but I keep getting pulled into SnapMap sessions for co-op with friends.

Man, the last section of the game is kind of rough on Ultra Violence. Getting hung up on environmental quirks while trying to move and kill. Strangely, as much of an advocate for keyboard and mouse play I am, I still think the game has been well optimized for forced controller use on consoles.

lemmykoopa

I'm a little bit LTTP but man this game is sooo good. Playing on hard and the game is very challenging. Decided to share a little gameplay clip here to show people who are still on the fence of buying the game how the game plays when you're in the flow chainsawing, fist-annihilating, rocketblasting demons. What a game!
https://youtu.be/mETx36ccmKI (slight enemy spoilers)

Brigandier

LTTP here too, I didn't really fancy the game but glad I picked it up now playing pc version is a joy 100fps pretty much locked ultra it's smooth as silk... love it

Best £15 I've spent on a game.

ced

I just had an exciting thought that has probably been answered, has they announced if this is getting a PS4 Pro patch?

Finally bought this on PS4 (currently on sale on PSN)

I can't be the only one who finds the classic weapon pose better than the default, right? Feels much easier to aim

I can't be the only one who finds the classic weapon pose better than the default, right? Feels much easier to aim

I don't care for it. The guns seem too big. It's ok when it's down in the corner, but in the center it's just too big. Here's Doom 1's shotgun at 1080p vs the combat shotgun in Doom 2016:

Played the demo a few months ago, but the game didn't click me. Now I'm further along and switched to the classic weapon view, and it's so good. The combat is so frenetic, the melee kills are so satisfying. It's like first person bullet hell

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Played the demo a few months ago, but the game didn't click me. Now I'm further along and switched to the classic weapon view, and it's so good. The combat is so frenetic, the melee kills are so satisfying. It's like first person bullet hell

You're going to die a lot, and you're going to love every moment of it.

So I'm addicted to the multiplayer, specifically deathmatch because I don't have to rely on a team of randoms and I don't care for the Demon Runes at all. The gameplay is just something else, I wish the PC community wasn't so small at this point, although I get why it is and what mistakes were made.

The funny part is I use a controller and I've been first or second place for nearly all of the last 100 or so games I've played (I need to go back to the stats), I don't think people realize how effective it is. I can strafe and generally juke the shit out of people to where half the time I get behind them and they can't turn around to catch up with me before they're dead.

Yep, classic is great. It actually helps me line up unscoped sniper shots a lot better. Gives a good visual frame of reference.

tomedo

Got the game yesterday from PSN sale but did not have time to play yet.

From patch notes:
"SnapMap
New DOOM Classic Campaign
Added Feature Pack Campaign mission, including new classic DOOM levels"

Does this mean that original Doom levels are now playable somehow in Snapmap?

From patch notes:
"SnapMap

I really want to know this. My download is crawling at 1Mb/s and who knows when I'll actually be able to check.

Zeneric

I already liked DOOM but the more I play it the more I love it.
DOOM THE GREATEST FPS OF ALL TIME.
Fast paced adrenaline pumping battles.

Greddleok

Jeez, how big is the patch? My PS4 can't handle anything any more, I'm constantly deleting games to make room for patches.

I need a new HDD...

I tried playing though some SnapMaps last night. The interface is pretty good now with specific categories for co-op and single player. No more shuffling through maps to find one with high ratings only to find out I can't play it with friends. I have no interest in building any new maps, but I am eager to play through some classic themed creations.

I didn't find any kind of classic campaigned that was mentioned in the patch notes. I have a feeling that it was just an unfortunate labeling and that they were implying that the classic assets could be used with the campaign creation option (I assume this is also new).

Edit: The classic campaign is showing up now (only 3 levels for now). It didn't appear after I downloaded the patch last night.

From patch notes:
"SnapMap

I really want to know this. My download is crawling at 1Mb/s and who knows when I'll actually be able to check.

I didn't find any kind of classic campaigned that was mentioned in the patch notes. I have a feeling that it was just an unfortunate labeling and that they were implying that the classic assets could be used with the campaign creation option (I assume this is also new).

If you go to Snapmap, it starts you on the "featured" section and it looks like this:

"Classic Doom Campaign. Play the first 3 levels of the original DOOM." With tiles for upcoming maps on Oct 28, Nov 4, and Nov 11.

These 3 maps are available as unlockables in the Doom 2016 campaign, but these are not the same versions. The campaigns ones are closer to the originals, where the snapmap ones are modified a bit because they're created with snapmap modules. The first place this was obvious to me was that in the snapmap version of E1M1 you start in a room with a PC at a desk and a bunch of Bethesda games on the shelf. You open a door from there that leads into the actual level. Also in the snapmap version, if you hit the switch to go outside where the green pool and the armor pickup are, the tunnel off to the right is very obviously different.

I would guess that the tiles that unlock at later dates will contain 2-3 more classic maps, made with snapmap.

JRW

If you go to Snapmap, it starts you on the "featured" section and it looks like this:

"Classic Doom Campaign. Play the first 3 levels of the original DOOM." With tiles for upcoming maps on Oct 28, Nov 4, and Nov 11.

These 3 maps are available as unlockables in the Doom 2016 campaign, but these are not the same versions. The campaigns ones are closer to the originals, where the snapmap ones are modified a bit because they're created with snapmap modules. The first place this was obvious to me was that in the snapmap version of E1M1 you start in a room with a PC at a desk and a bunch of Bethesda games on the shelf. You open a door from there that leads into the actual level. Also in the snapmap version, if you hit the switch to go outside where the green pool and the armor pickup are, the tunnel off to the right is very obviously different.

I would guess that the tiles that unlock at later dates will contain 2-3 more classic maps, made with snapmap.

Maybe I played to much Doom & Doom 2 over the years but these remade classic levels in snapmap leave much desired, the lack of sector lighting effects, lack of camera bob and obvious level design limitations which prevent proper 1:1 layouts just make them feel like cheap knockoffs here lol..

Maybe I played to much Doom & Doom 2 over the years but these remade classic levels in snapmap leave much desired, the lack of sector lighting effects, lack of camera bob and obvious level design limitations which prevent proper 1:1 layouts just make them feel like cheap knockoffs here lol..

What bugs me most is that the gameplay in the new Doom is different enough that when I play the classic maps, it just doesn't flow like classic Doom and I end up just playing a bit of that instead.

Enemies deal more damage, have more health, and the shotgun has way less range. Also the shield guys are way more defensive than any of the zombie guys they're usually used for, which makes for more annoying and diffucult encounters. I play Doom 1 and 2 on ultra-violence, and it's a whole lot of mowing guys down with shotguns until you hit the bigger enemies. In Doom 2016, when I play E1M1 I'm peeking around corners to take shots with the charged up pistol because I get 2 shot by the charged plasma shots. I feel like if you're going to try to remake these levels in the new Doom, you need to either weaken the enemies, beef up the player, or adjust the enemy counts and placements so there's a better flow to the combat.

Also, if enemy and player health/damage aren't being modified, please give me health and ammo from glory kills. The weapons and enemies in Doom 2016 were balanced around the glory kill system, but for some reason the health and ammo drops are off by default in snapmap. Someone has to first stop and think about putting it into their map, and then figure out how to do it (not obvious for someone new to snapmap).

Ifrit

So I suddendly started getting some random crashes, for the first 3 levels I didn't have a single problem the game ran beautifully, had a blast playing and finding all the collectibles.

But somehow starting the next level, the game crashed (restarted windows unexpectedly)

After that crash, after I started a game I got the damaged save file error :(

And worse, even after deleting and starting a new game, I just get crashes left and right on the first level. Tried pretty much any fix I found online and nothing works.

I'm pretty disappointed for having such a bad expierience with such a great game

Anyone else experiencing the same problems?

My system.
Intel Core i5
8 GB RAM
Radeon RX 470

Izuna

Banned
Man I really hope that this game gets an Old Blood type of expansion.

Get rid of the multiplayer crap!!!

I would love a Hell on Earth

EDIT:

Okay, this level wasn't all that easy. I don't like 1.6m comes from the final room. I'll take the #1 though.

6OnshKj.png

This game is way too fucking easy.

Izuna

Banned
12fG5Df.png

I don't know who the fuck FRANKEY22 is, but he knows something I don't. Regardless, I have practically gotten Slayer Medals on all stages now. I finished the last level before this uploaded.

Eh, I give Arcade Mode a 8/10 as an addon. Overall, I'm still annoyed with the controller bugs. Weapon switching controls being janky is one thing, but there's a bug where you can't select a weapon on the wheel without returning the stick to its origin.

Arcade Mode on Ultra Nightmare was only slightly harder than the Campaign, but it was sufficient. Lazarus Labs is by far the hardest map.

AEREC

What's with the walking in this game? There's no smooth transition on the console analog sticks...i guess they literally ported the PC's movement scheme. You either walk or run with now in between. Feels awkward but then there's really no reason to be walking in this game.

LTTP but this game is a blast. Only finished the first 4 missions but I was hooked from the intro.

My favorite part of this game is how badass the game makes you feel. Its represented in the kickass soundtrack, the brutal ways you take down demons and how much havoc you cause. Even the flavor text in the game says things like "you dont need help. you need ammo". The game makes you feel invincible and its a real adrenaline rush.

Voror

Anyone have advice for the Hold Still challenge in the last stage to kill two Barons of Hell with one shot. I've done it twice now using the BFG and killed both of them at the same time. Is this glitched or am I not supposed to use the BFG?

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Do I need PlayStation Plus for that?

KKRT00

I have to say that i'm disappointed at this game, even though the game is clearly good and has some excellent qualities.

I'm disappointed, because they messed up gameplay of Nightmare from design standpoint, and they messed it up to the degree that its not fun to play ;/
I dont know if they even tested it, but when the most deadly enemy in Doom is Imp, they should know that something is not right.
The damage values of enemy attacks are just too high, to degree that one basic Imp's attack can take 40hp, which is basically an amount of life that you most of the time operate with (40-65hp).
It makes dying not fun, cause you dont die, due to screwing up, but because you got touched by enemy attack you could never avoid.
It makes engagements more RNG based than skill based and thats really for a game like that.

What is even more annoying that high damage values would not be that bad in the end if the Gory Kills heal system really worked, instead of being half hp regen mechanic.
What i mean by that is that it heals fast too 60hp, but after that, no matter how you execute enemy, you will only get 5hp heal.
Another thing, which is unfortunately less annoying as progresses with the game, is Gory Kill mechanic that basically kills you about 30% of the time, but you have to do it, because you need to conserve ammunition due to stupid low limits of ammo without upgrades.

I finished Argent Facility level, which is 4th one and i dont know if i want to continue.
I could lower difficulty level of course, but i bet that its easy as fuck in comparison.
I so looked forward to this game, especially when it got praised by whole gaming community, and got disappointed in the end. I'm slightly sad now ;/

derFeef

I have to say that i'm disappointed at this game, even though the game is clearly good and has some excellent qualities.

I'm disappointed, because they messed up gameplay of Nightmare from design standpoint, and they messed it up to the degree that its not fun to play ;/
I dont know if they even tested it, but when the most deadly enemy in Doom is Imp, they should know that something is not right.
The damage values of enemy attacks are just too high, to degree that one basic Imp's attack can take 40hp, which is basically an amount of life that you most of the time operate with (40-65hp).
It makes dying not fun, cause you dont die, due to screwing up, but because you got touched by enemy attack you could never avoid.
It makes engagements more RNG based than skill based and thats really for a game like that.

What is even more annoying that high damage values would not be that bad in the end if the Gory Kills heal system really worked, instead of being half hp regen mechanic.
What i mean by that is that it heals fast too 60hp, but after that, no matter how you execute enemy, you will only get 5hp heal.
Another thing, which is unfortunately less annoying as progresses with the game, is Gory Kill mechanic that basically kills you about 30% of the time, but you have to do it, because you need to conserve ammunition due to stupid low limits of ammo without upgrades.

I finished Argent Facility level, which is 4th one and i dont know if i want to continue.
I could lower difficulty level of course, but i bet that its easy as fuck in comparison.
I so looked forward to this game, especially when it got praised by whole gaming community, and got disappointed in the end. I'm slightly sad now ;/

I thought so as well, but damn it's fun when you manage an encounter well and murder all demons. There are some enemies I despise because they are cheap, but then you get to fight multiple Barons of Hell plus Adds and boy it's scary but so much fun. Also start using your chainsaw more, it really helped me with some encounters when I started to actually use it.

1) Lower the difficulty. Ultra-Violence is great.
2) I'm not usually 'that guy' but... 'get gud'. And by that I mean try Nightmare after you've given UV a playthrough and learned the flow. There's tons of people that dominate on Nightmare. It's not unbalanced, so maybe you just don't have what it takes yet.

KKRT00

1) Lower the difficulty. Ultra-Violence is great.
2) I'm not usually 'that guy' but... 'get gud'. And by that I mean try Nightmare after you've given UV a playthrough and learned the flow. There's tons of people that dominate on Nightmare. It's not unbalanced, so maybe you just don't have what it takes yet.

Its not about getting good here, but about knowing the right path, spawns and secrets i think, .
I watched some guy going through nightmare and learnt that plasma stun bomb is OP. I also learnt that he knew exactly the NPC spawns and killed them in 'correct order' as they were appearing, which reduced greatly possibility of being overwhelmed.
Also health bonus actually gives you higher threshold of the half hp healing, which i thought is not a case. This alone will probably make the way easier, but now i need to get back to previous levels and get upgrades and put them all into life.
Playing at 100hp seems like RNG at times, especially in earlier levels when you dont have ammo and do not know secrets.
I did lvl 5 yesterday and it was slightly easier due to double jump, more direct boosts and bigger levels. Will see how it progresses. For now, i definitely want to finish lvl 6, because i want to play on ultra nightmare and do an achievement for 1st level.
I generally dont care for achievements, but this one just seems like a cool challenge.

Top Bottom