• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Whoever said this is the Fury Road of shooters was so so right! The title screen made me grin just like I did with Fury Road's first V8 roars.

Awesome game so far!

antitrop

Just finished it, was a lot of fun. Certainly one of the best FPS I played in recent years. What's up with the ending though?
Doom 2 is pretty much confirmed then?
Never count a cliffhanger ending as confirmation of a sequel. Good luck waiting for The Order 1887.

Seems fairly likely, though.

Guys If I complete a chapter, I can go back and replay it right away just for a collectibles before I go to the next chapter right?
I just want to blind play in each chapter before I go back for a collectibles. :\

rdytoroll

Never count a cliffhanger ending as confirmation of a sequel. Good luck waiting for The Order 1887.

Seems fairly likely, though.

Well.. I was waiting for 1887, but it's never gonna happen :(

At least with Doom there are higher chances because of the overall very positive reception. Let's hope that it happens

Protein

Banned
Doom spoilers and lore via wiki

In the reboot, the main character is the Doom Slayer, a legendary warrior and sole surviving member of an order of knights known as the Night Sentinels who were tasked with battling Hell. In the past, the Doom Slayer and his brothers-in-arms were the protectors of a land known as Argent D'nur, until a member of the Sentinels betrayed them in return for the demons reviving his dead son, who was brought back as the Icon of Sin, the final boss of Doom 2. Filled with rage, the Doom Slayer nearly tore all of Hell down, wearing a suit of enchanted power armor gifted to him by a demon who betrayed his kind. Eventually, the Doom Slayer was sealed away in an enchanted sarcophagus by the terrified remainder of Hell's inhabitants until he was rescued by UAC Mars Director Samuel Hayden, who kept him sealed in his private labs while they reverse-engineered his equipment.

The Doom Slayer, despite being the most brutal of the Doom protagonists by far, is also shown to be the most traditionally heroic; he is distrustful of Hayden due to his "ends justifying the means" philosophy and goes out of his way to show compassion to the sentient AI VEGA, copying him to a personal drive before destroying his main body. He also seeks to protect humanity from Hell at all costs, even destroying the very energy source which has ended Earth's energy crisis due to it being only obtainable via a portal to Argent D'nur, which is a realm in Hell overrun with demons.

I never knew that the Icon of Sin
was mentioned in this game.

The Flash

Banned
Huh I thought the Doom Slayer
was the guy who betrayed the Night Sentinels and was trying to atone for what he did

Did Olivia
turn into the Spider Mastermind or get absorbed by it?

So, first time i discovered cheater in this game. He was killing everyone with single plasma rifle shoot through walls, and teleported in every direction. Is there any way to report this guy? I still think that MP is fun, but there is no way i'm paying for season pass, because there will be much more cheaters after few huge sales. Does this game have any anticheat? I'm playing on PC
9314161622E9EB657C305818936258D604C18F55

52D99DEA96AB692FA4835610DCF7E944C5F8DBCF

7E39CCA338FBE05B5EA231CCA371C8E01CA68EB6

8BE98A98B91379B602B57D872335EF0F4FD95F07

SMG

Just finished it, was a lot of fun. Certainly one of the best FPS I played in recent years. What's up with the ending though?
Doom 2 is pretty much confirmed then?
the threads left could support a full sequel (set on Earth) but also could be tied up with a 3 hour expansion. I'm hoping for the former.

Recall

Trying out Multiplayer. It is mediocre at best, I'm still gonna give it a couple of hours of my time but after that I think I'm fine with never touching it again.

lazygecko

So, first time i discovered cheater in this game. He was killing everyone with single plasma rifle shoot through walls, and teleported in every direction. Is there any way to report this guy? I still think that MP is fun, but there is no way i'm paying for season pass, because there will be much more cheaters after few huge sales. Does this game have any anticheat? I'm playing on PC

The most straightforward solution would be to give the players some freakin agency in how to handle the multiplayer. Set up their own servers with admins who can enforce rules. But hey, this is 2016 and we've apparently moved past such archaic notions.

jacobs34

Just got to the first major encounter
in hell
and boy does the difficulty take a huge jump up. Playing on hardest default difficulty. I'm gloriously getting my butt kicked.

Maybe this has been answered, but could not find anything through search: Is the original Doom included with the game? I've been wanting to play through it again recently.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One very annoying thing, if you play a Rune challenge you missed while replaying a level it'll boot you out of the stage and you'll lose any progress you made.

Just got to the first major encounter
in hell
and boy does the difficulty take a huge jump up. Playing on hardest default difficulty. I'm gloriously getting my butt kicked.

Hell is where this game really starts to throw a ton at you. You need to get the hang of constant movement and knowing what weapons to use in order to survive. That level is tough but once the combat in it clicks, it'll serve you well for the rest of the game and the gameplay gets far more intense and enjoyable.

jacobs34

One very annoying thing, if you play a Rune challenge you missed while replaying a level it'll boot you out of the stage and you'll lose any progress you made.

Hell is where this game really starts to throw a ton at you. You need to get the hang of constant movement and knowing what weapons to use in order to survive. That level is tough but once the combat in it clicks, it'll serve you well for the rest of the game and the gameplay gets far more intense and enjoyable.

Yeah it's great. You can tell the developer is saying, "Ok, you have the weapons, you know the fundamentals, now it's time for us to take the training wheels off." It's going to take me a little while to adjust, but it's such a thrilling gameplay experience. It's nice to play an FPS for once that has the same kind of challenge as a game like Dark Souls.

daakusedo

Doing the skip in the first hell stage block access to the yellow skull.
I spent hours searching for a praetor coin that I would never have got without playing it normally.
It's a big skip though, three arena battles avoided with it.

Best game I've played in ten years. Everything (in the single-player, at least) is so expertly crafted. Sound design, enemy design, level design, enemy AI, movement, everything. It's so frantic and varied and fun, the way it encourages you to keep diving into the action (for that is the only way to recover health in many cases) and to keep moving, to switch up strategies for all the different enemy types, the way that ammo is just limited enough to make you switch to different guns (but never get stuck using the pistol).

I agree with whoever said it: This is the Mad Max Fury Road of video games. Simple on the surface, but with layer after layer of loving attention to detail. Every weapon is satisfying to use, every enemy is satisfying to kill, everything is beautiful to look at. I can't recommend this enough if you have ever enjoyed a shooting game ever in your life. It corrects everything shooters have been doing wrong lately.

Woorloog

Banned
It corrects everything shooters have been doing wrong lately.

Doesn't allow for mods nor does it have good multiplayer. (Also too short, and the story could be improved while reducing its intrusion to gameplay.)

But it is overall so much better than anything else from the past few years...

bosseye

Awesome game, just pure fun. Actually starts off slower than I expected but by the time you reach the first
hell
level and you have all the weapons and the game is chucking all the monsters at you at once it's gets brilliantly frantic. Love it.

Also, did anyone else find this nice little easter egg (probably, but I haven't read the whole thread)
in hell when you first meet a Baron of hell, the small cave where you find the lever to open the entrance to the classic Doom section....there is a corpse with a skyrim helmet on and an arrow in its knee

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Gauss is so damn OP its crazy

It has a super generous hitbox too. I've definitely whiffed a shot that blew up a demon nearby anyway, lol.

That and the one gatling gun upgrade that lets you transform it along with the rune that gives infininte ammo over a certain armor threshold are amazing.

LDAF

I hope somebody does a Nightmare run using nothing but pistol

Oh God, I hope not. It'd take ages. I finished up the campaign the other day, and was at the last arena in the game. You exit a cave-like area and drop down, but I saw a few Hell Knights out in the distance. To save ammo, I started snipping one with the pistol...kept getting fully charged headshots over and over. I was shooting for so long that I eventually said "fuck it", and dropped into the arena and fought them normally.

I still don't think it's really great, but I'm starting to come around on the multiplayer. I don't care for the loadouts or progression system, and I wish it was more of a true arena multiplayer game, but the more I play the more fun I have.

The sort of djent metal/electro music chosen for this game is just perfect for it. If you can i would definitely play this with a good set of headphones.

Top Bottom