• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Rage is a quite a bit older and was designed to run on the last consoles. So its performance has less of a bearing on something like Doom.
I think the bigger problem for that computer, beyond the GPU and RAM, would be the fact that is a very low clocked dual core processor. Does anyone know if this game even boots with two cores? A lot of modern games do not run / or even boot on two cores sadly. And even if it did, that is a very underclocked low IPC dual core in the first place. I do not think the lowest settings @ 30fps would be even doable.

That's a shame :( how about wolfenstein, I was looking to getting that aswell.

Hmmm been thinking about what to do for SnapMap, Classic Doom maps seem nigh on impossible to recreate, so I was thinking...Recreation of the Doom Comic. Quest to find the BFG, berserk powerups, text boxes with diatribes about the world we're leaving our children by leaving toxic waste around.

radioactive.jpg

PaulloDEC

All done! 14 hours on the clock with maybe two of those spent in MP. Overall I'd say the campaign length felt just right.

Game was great, obviously. I even got to end things on a high, not just by beating
the final boss on my first go
, but also by finishing the last battle before it getting two of the three level challenges on the very last shot I fired (with the BFG no less).

Between this and what's become of the Wolfenstein IP, it's a bloody good time to be a classic FPS fan.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You won't regret it IMO! Come visit this thread posting perhaps one time about what you want, where you are, and how much you want to spend. People are very helpful.

I will look into it, I made a thread like a year ago on wanting a affordable rig but fell on hard times slightly so had put it on the backburner but forgot to take it off it so nows better than ever, especially with my recent raise.

I beat the game!!! Only played on easy though; wanted to make sure I finished before Overwatch came out.

Game was so excellent, I can't wait to go back and clean up the levels.

I've wanted the game because I've played and liked Doom 3. Got the Doom 3:BFG Edition back on PS3 and loved playing the game at 60fps. This new Doom game Nvidia video and the response from people here for the game sealed the deal. Ordered it for PS4, it should get here later today.

I can't wait to dig into the game. I'm so happy the game seems to be doing well.

That's awesome. Hope you enjoy it as much as everyone else seems to be!

This makes the third time I've heard someone compare the game to Metroid Prime. Is it because the fighting is maybe more about dodging and strafing (something that MP has but obviously at a slower pace) than pure precision? Is it the apparently large levels? The upgrades? The double jump (without wallrunning to go on the Titanfall bandwagon)? I'm genuinely curious, because I can't obviously see the similarities. I'd be very glad to be reminded of MP when I get around to it, but I can't imagine how they are similar very well at all so far. Any further details would be appreciated.

I want a good new Metroid... Nintendo.. <:|

I think a part of it is definitely the map system, and the ability to see areas of the map that you haven't accessed. Scouring these areas and finding passages is really satisfying, without the roadblocks of needing new abilities and coming back later that metroid has of course. And now that you mention it, dodging physical projectiles and keeping on the move during combat is a factor. No bunkering down behind cover here. And i think the visual design is top notch too, which was a strength of the Prime games, and glorious colour! I love colour in games. And my favourite thing, is definitely having access to your whole arsenal of weapons and having a choice of how to take on encounters, no limiting loadouts.

This game seems to be crashing more and more frequently for me (PC). I got through the first 5 levels without any issue and now I'm at
Lazarus Labs and I've had 5 crashes in 30 minutes.
Straight to desktop, no error messages.

Bumming me out :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone have a link to that first reveal way back, when everyone had problems with the color palette and the melee? That should be interesting to look at all the bitching now.

T.O.P

Banned
This game seems to be crashing more and more frequently for me (PC). I got through the first 5 levels without any issue and now I'm at
Lazarus Labs and I've had 5 crashes in 30 minutes.
Straight to desktop, no error messages.

Bumming me out :(

There's a problem with that specific area it seems, but after a couple of crashes I got through it and then no problem whatsoever

Enjoy what's coming right after that :)

There's a problem with that specific area it seems, but after a couple of crashes I got through it and then no problem whatsoever

Enjoy what's coming right after that :)

Guess I'll just have to muscle through it then. I'm guessing it's some physics/collision related problem because on at least of the crashes I was manipulating items (kicking in vents x2 and jumping onto a cone).

Haines

Banned
Silly question.

Am I playing the game wrong for anyone that has so already

I'm doing it on ultra violence and I'm just playing straight through the levels with pretty much never checking the map or scouring for secrets

The reason is I've heard people say it gets to easy when powered up so I'm hoping this keeps the difficulty and allows for a run on the next difficulty unlocked for me to search for all the secrets etc

dlauv

Silly question.

I'm doing it on ultra violence and I'm just playing straight through the levels with pretty much never checking the map or scouring for secrets

The reason is I've heard people say it gets to easy when powered up so I'm hoping this keeps the difficulty and allows for a run on the next difficulty unlocked for me to search for all the secrets etc

It gets very easy once you've upgraded a bunch. I almost wish I didn't comb through the levels so much.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It gets very easy once you've upgraded a bunch. I almost wish I didn't comb through the levels so much.

I don't. Finding the secrets is so fun. You are right that it makes the game noticeably easier though. Looking forward to replaying on (Ultra) Nightmare.

Silly question.

If youre gonna playthrough the game again with secrets that sounds great. As long as you do! I loved looking for secrets.

I can't get over how terrible the multiplayer is.
The campaign is so great, but the multiplayer is just the worst.

Everyone who thinks the multiplayer is "terrible", what were you expecting? It is quite faithful to the original in terms on overall gameplay an feel. Obviously the loadouts are dumb, but aside from that i think it's a modern take on the classic doom multiplayer (where the hell is ffa though!?)

Were you expecting Quake gameplay with rocketjumps and in air railgun shooting after a sick wall jumping spree?

I'm getting the impression most people who hate this were expecting Quake/UT arena-type multiplayer. But i'm not sure that's fair to the game, Doom was never like that. Granted, Bethesda did an awful job at marketing this, maybe that's part of the issue?

Moff

didn't they say they'd have a classic mode for multi without the loadouts? did I imagine that or did I just not find it?

Haines

Banned

If youre gonna playthrough the game again with secrets that sounds great. As long as you do! I loved looking for secrets.

OK awesome. I was just going off of what people said here. I will try to get every secret on the unlocked difficulty and I will probably need them there

It's not like I'm ignoring the secrets, I actually put some suit points into the discovery. But I am just kind of b lining the levels. I like dieing a lot. Makes the game feel more rewarding.

OK awesome. I was just going off of what people said here. I will try to get every secret on the unlocked difficulty and I will probably need them there

It's not like I'm ignoring the secrets, I actually put some suit points into the discovery. But I am just kind of b lining the levels. I like dieing a lot. Makes the game feel more rewarding.

By unlocked difficulty do you mean Nightmare? Because only Ultra Nightmare is locked and the only difference with that one is that dying restarts the whole game.

Loving the SP so far. Its really amazing.
So whats wrong with the multiplayer? Played it for a few hours. Its like quake. Seems fun to me. Kinda wish there was same music tough. I was a Unreal Tournament/Quake3 nuts back at the time. The MP plays like something in between. The CoD comparison on some reviews probally means game jornos are too young to remenber.

Moff

Yeah. Isn't nightmare locked? I could have swore it only let me pick UV?

I think so too. UV was the highest I could select.

that's a common mistake
nightmare is available from start, but it looks locked because it's red
I restarted the game halfway thorugh after I realized that and it was a great decision because the game becomes very easy

I died about 30 times in a room in the second level though

Haines

Banned
Oh wow

Maybe they should have made nightmare orange or something BC that did not come through on my eyes

I think I will just stick with my play through method and do the all secrets run on nightmare

Im still in disbelief how much this game gets right and brings back from the old school gen at the same time. I can see myself playing this for years to come

Haines

Banned
Am I the only one who gets some metroid prime feels from this game

I swear there's some dev team members that must really like prime.

Feels good

Kadin

Please tell me some of you are getting rekt like I am on Hurt Me Plenty. I'm not typically bad at these games but I swear I can only take a few hits before I'm dead. I'm on mission 7 atm and fear it's only gonna get worse. Fun as shit though. Oh and on X1 if it matters.

Feels good

There's been already quite some people feeling this, myself included.

Just did my first rune challenges, they're great!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Feels good

You are like the third or fourth person in the thread to say that. I think its because of the map, secrets, and jumping around.

Please tell me some of you are getting rekt like I am on Hurt Me Plenty. I'm not typically bad at these games but I swear I can only take a few hits before I'm dead. I'm on mission 7 atm and fear it's only gonna get worse. Fun as shit though. Oh and on X1 if it matters.

I was having trouble on Ultra Violence but I eventually adjusted. Not to mention the upgrades make it easier over time. Always be moving.

abracadaver

Don't stop moving and you will be fine

I hope this game sells a ton of copies so id can go and make a sequel or bring Quake back in the same way

jambo

Still loving this, but playing it in small bursts. Wish I had more time to smash through it.

Also, does anyone have a spare DOOM 2 key for XBone?

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Nightmare appears in red but its not locked. Ultra nightmare appears in red too but it has a lock on the side, so you cant pick that one

Edit:

Only the locked difficulty has a lock on the side

Assuming no one has actually beat Ultra Nightmare yet right?

Top Bottom