• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't sleep on Gotham Knights, its a solid AA title

slade

Even the recent firesale of this game couldn't entice me to buy it. Maybe when it's five dollars.

Last edited:

stn

To be honest, I purchased it only because of Red Hood. It is solid overall but also a step down from the previous Batman games.

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Yeah, solid combustible garbage.
Fire Trash GIF
Sesame Street Trash GIF

Don't forget to go to the pride, you can't miss it ! So much important when you got a city full of villains.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I haven’t played it so I’m not going to bash those who like it, but I’ve watched plenty of videos, etc., and literally the only compelling thing about it was Batgirl’s butt. Everything else - graphics, storyline/dialogue, combat, UI design, upgrade system - just looks horrible and encapsulates all the worst of modern gaming.

Last edited:

FBeeEye

Banned
Obviously the 'criticism' by the guy you quoted is pretty stupid but saying that there's plenty of smaller budget titles that do fantastic work with raw fidelity in visuals. Bright Memory comes to mind which is made by one guy. The visuals of Gotham Knights are solid either way. Perhaps not as detailed as the previous games (in some aspects) but to wave it away with a mere "it looks like an indie title" is just dumb.

ss_b017cf633a1e6b16f6d98aa93c23a349ff0de6de.1920x1080.jpg

ss_f5b489c8133d87f3a58602d07053e8059174730a.1920x1080.jpg

ss_154791b1a8a0f72aa72f882e382cbe17ba1d93c8.1920x1080.jpg
No need to qualify your post. GK looks like cross-gen trash. It's a lazy money grab. I'll play it when it hits $20. That's what it's worth.

jaysius

Banned
It's BUDGET AAA, it's a new game type that rips off fans by charging full price for something that should be at a budget price or lower, the company saves big $$$ the fans get ripped off.

Don't fall for this shitty trap, these games will grow in number if you do.

I believe you and when It cost 20$ I’ll give it a shot. At 70$ doesn’t seem worth it.
It's on sale - £25 at the moment on Steam - where I am, so I presume it's similar in your part of the world.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it.

However, you can always take advantage of the 2 hour-2 week refund policy on Steam and see for yourself.

The first hour gives you plenty of chance to engage in combat, to see performance, to ride the bike, use the grapple hook, and get a feel for the open world.

tmlDan

idk man, i watched people play it and it looks uninspired and jank - not even worth it at 50% off.

good for you for enjoying it tho

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's BUDGET AAA, it's a new game type that rips off fans by charging full price for something that should be at a budget price or lower, the company saves big $$$ the fans get ripped off.

Don't fall for this shitty trap, these games will grow in number if you do.

The sad thing is that in all respects this was an AAA game with an AAA budget, with a major license, it even got a ~year delay (as did Saints Row). This really was the best this team could do.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I want to check it out, but by all accounts it's got a hideous PC port AND worse consoles are limited to only 30 fps. I'd check it out easily if not for those issues.

anthony2690

Gold Member
I'm not personally interested in this game, but what's the deal with the replies? Everybody in here sounds like OP is hyping the game like crazy, instead of literally just saying "not AAA, not at full price, and it definitely has issues, but I'm enjoying it myself"
If they did a 60fps update, I'd happily give the game a chance & buy it, especially as it's super cheap now.

But I do agree, dude saying he is enjoying the game.

But sadly it is common for people to dogpile on a game they haven't played or have no intention to play. 🤷‍♂️

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I want to check it out, but by all accounts it's got a hideous PC port AND worse consoles are limited to only 30 fps. I'd check it out easily if not for those issues.
I preordered the game but got a refund after DF showed the game to be a stuttering mess and 50% GPU utilization.

Bought it last week, and got no stutters. GPU utilization is in the 90% range unless you are out driving at which point it drops to 70%. But that could be because im capped at 60 fps and there is just more room. It runs very smooth.

I have a 3080 and am running the game at a locked 60 fps at 4k with DLSS set to Quality.

That said, there have been several crashes. I think around 10. Though most of them were back to back and I had to go verify my game files on Epic Game Store. I had a similar issue with RDR2 so it might just be EGS. Ive never had to verify game files on steam games.

Also, with ray tracing enabled, performance is fine and GPU utilization is almost a 100% even when driving its around 80%, but all of a sudden out of nowhere the game just starts stuttering. Same issue reported in the XSX version by DF so must be a directx bug. I just turned off ray tracing and it went away. Standard SSR reflections are really good in this game.

Aside from that, this game feels very polished. Ive played buggy games before but this feels polished in its current state. No glitches, getting stuck in geometry, or shader stutter. They must have fixed it up in the last 2 months. Havent had a crash in the last 5 hours or so.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I preordered the game but got a refund after DF showed the game to be a stuttering mess and 50% GPU utilization.

Bought it last week, and got no stutters. GPU utilization is in the 90% range unless you are out driving at which point it drops to 70%. But that could be because im capped at 60 fps and there is just more room. It runs very smooth.

I have a 3080 and am running the game at a locked 60 fps at 4k with DLSS set to Quality.

That said, there have been several crashes. I think around 10. Though most of them were back to back and I had to go verify my game files on Epic Game Store. I had a similar issue with RDR2 so it might just be EGS. Ive never had to verify game files on steam games.

Also, with ray tracing enabled, performance is fine and GPU utilization is almost a 100% even when driving its around 80%, but all of a sudden out of nowhere the game just starts stuttering. Same issue reported in the XSX version by DF so must be a directx bug. I just turned off ray tracing and it went away. Standard SSR reflections are really good in this game.

Aside from that, this game feels very polished. Ive played buggy games before but this feels polished in its current state. No glitches, getting stuck in geometry, or shader stutter. They must have fixed it up in the last 2 months. Havent had a crash in the last 5 hours or so.
So 4K60 is possible now without all the microstutter?

SlimySnake

If they did a 60fps update, I'd happily give the game a chance & buy it, especially as it's super cheap now.

But I do agree, dude saying he is enjoying the game.

But sadly it is common for people to dogpile on a game they haven't played or have no intention to play. 🤷‍♂️
Given how well my 3080 runs this game at 60 fps, im surprised that they didnt add a 60 fps option or even an unlocked 30 fps option with VRR and ray tracing disabled. Game targets native 4k 30 fps with RT on consoles. I wonder why they cant go down to 1440p drop RT and see just how high up the framerate can go.

Must have to do with online coop. I noticed some framedrops when playing coop but figured it was lag. What sucks is that the coop is a lot of fun but they didnt add crossplay so now with how poorly the game sold, the player base is really small. Played for two hours late last night. No one joined my game!!! I get that these games arent big on PC but devs shouldve known that.

SlimySnake

There have been no sttuters but like I said Im using DLSS Quality so its not native 4k. The game defaulted everything to ultra save for the crowd which it set to Low and I didnt want to change it.

I think the whole shader stutter thing is just something devs have to patch in. Callisto Protocol, Sackboy and Gotham Knights all shipped with really bad shader stutter but within a week they were patched out in all three games. Callisto Protocol was fixed within a day and I didnt see any precompilation of shaders like i typically see in CoD and Forza.

SCB3

Man this is making me want to upgrade my PC right now, I have to wait for some home renovations so limited to Console games atm as my PSU seems to not be able to handle even Destiny right now

But I agree, I've not had any jank or performance issues, the combat feels a little soft, especially compared to Arkham, and it really makes me wanna replay those (and actually play Origins, which I barely played on Wii U) I'm a big Batman fan and playing as Nightwing is pretty cool so far

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
There have been no sttuters but like I said Im using DLSS Quality so its not native 4k. The game defaulted everything to ultra save for the crowd which it set to Low and I didnt want to change it.

I think the whole shader stutter thing is just something devs have to patch in. Callisto Protocol, Sackboy and Gotham Knights all shipped with really bad shader stutter but within a week they were patched out in all three games. Callisto Protocol was fixed within a day and I didnt see any precompilation of shaders like i typically see in CoD and Forza.
OK im buying it right now than thanks.

SlimySnake

Man this is making me want to upgrade my PC right now, I have to wait for some home renovations so limited to Console games atm as my PSU seems to not be able to handle even Destiny right now

But I agree, I've not had any jank or performance issues, the combat feels a little soft, especially compared to Arkham, and it really makes me wanna replay those (and actually play Origins, which I barely played on Wii U) I'm a big Batman fan and playing as Nightwing is pretty cool so far
I really want to try out Nightwing and Batgirl. Some guy joined my game as batgirl and was gracefully gliding like Batman and pulling off some sick bat takedowns. Meanwhile, Im jumping around like an idiot and shooting people from afar.

How far along are you? Combat got way better for me as I started maxing out my skill trees. I mostly play it as a shooter but its great to have your abilities and gear make you OP for a change. I have made a critical build to compliment my critical focused ability trees so now I get criticals popping all the time and then sometimes I would proc a 5x multiplier on top of a critical doing 5k damage on mini bosses with just one bullet.

As for melee combat, you will start getting shock and flame gear that gives you melee attacks a real... well, kick. There are explosions going off everywhere as shock charges build up and cause some pretty cool AoE damage. Initially the melee combat did feel a little soft yes.

Am level 30 now so getting legendary gear and its awesome to be able to mow down even the hardest enemies and patrol missions in the game.

gamer82

picked it up for xmas along side some other games on ps5 , i have started off with batgirl but my gripe so far is that there isn't really a jump button so to speak and you cant just glide off buildings off the bat. totally bizzare & i think you have to get the abilty to do that, but i havent played it for long yet otherwise its ok .

im not as excitied about it at the minute as i was when i say the trailers but maybe as i go through it it will warm on me.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I had a blast with it start to finish and even did new game plus. This was the pc version.

I didn’t have stutter as bad as others. Just kept RT off and enjoyed the ride.

Red hood was a blast. Batgirls dumper is ass of the year.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I was fun but not worth full price. Theres a good game there but the overall game is so scattered and fragmented without any focus. Its like they just didnt know how to bring it all together into a solid experience.

SlimySnake

picked it up for xmas along side some other games, ps5 here and i have started oiff with batgirl, my gripe so far is that there isa really not jum button so to speak and you cant just glide off buildings whihc is totally bizzare, i think you have to get the abilty to do that but i havent played it for long yet but otherwise its ok im not as excitied about it at the minuet but maye as i go through it it will warm on me.
You get the glide ability in the 3rd or 4th story mission. Each of the four heroes get their own unique glide/fast traversal ability. TBH, dont bother exploring until you get premeditated crimes, the glide ability and finally the ability to fast travel. Fast travel comes a bit late around like 5 hours in, maybe more but just wait for the glide ability and do story missions until you get it.

T4keD0wN

I also liked it at first because the early parts are pretty good, but the whole game declines in quality about as fast as an alfa romeo car the further you advance.

Flutta

Banned
Now why would anyone with a brain on their shoulders reward developers who clearly don’t respect the franchise or the fans of said franchise by releasing this Abomination of a game without a second thought?

And you guys wonder why pubs/devs keep releasing garbage when alot of you still reward them for it….. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
the latest patch, about 2 weeks ago was pretty much a super performance patch, and even though I didn't have many problems before, it's as smooth as it gets now; RT was unplayable for me before, now it's just an fps hit, it's still completely smooth.
I really want to try out Nightwing and Batgirl. Some guy joined my game as batgirl and was gracefully gliding like Batman and pulling off some sick bat takedowns. Meanwhile, Im jumping around like an idiot and shooting people from afar.
Batgirl is the way to go for the "batman" experience, the other characters are far more doing their own thing.

Last edited:
I haven’t played it so I’m not going to bash those who like it, but I’ve watched plenty of videos, etc., and literally the only compelling thing about it was Batgirl’s butt. Everything else - graphics, storyline/dialogue, combat, UI design, upgrade system - just looks horrible and encapsulates all the worst of modern gaming.
And that post encapsulates all the worst of modern gaming too. I watch it on Youtube, rather than buy it and try it for myself.

I had a decent time with it playing solo at launch. Then my friend bought it earlier this month and I had a blast going through it again in co-op. It also helped that I've been reading the New 52/Rebirth run of Batman so I appreciated the story and references a lot more the second time around.

The 4-player Starro thing they added kinda sucks, however. Super grindy and we got bored of it on the 15th floor (out of 30).
now that's what i call a target demographic...

for the uninitiated, from a quora post - https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-The-52-The-New-52-and-DC-Rebirth

The 52 happens after the events of Infinite Crisis (not to be confused with Crisis on Infinite Earths) and it depicts the 52 weeks that the world had to do by without Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

Superman because he subconsciously blocked his powers after he had to dive into Krypton red sun.

Wonder Woman had some problems with the gods.

And Batman… Well. Can't really remember right now.

Still the world was without the trinity without an entire year.

New 52 was DC poor attempt at a reboot. Instead of starting from zero and actually make something entirely new they instead altered certain details and certain stories. And created a mess to understand especially for those that were new to DC Comics. But the reboot was made for a good reason. DC was losing for Marvel for several years and the numbers were continuing to go down. So they rebooted the whole thing...

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
And that post encapsulates all the worst of modern gaming too. I watch it on Youtube, rather than buy it and try it for myself.
Yes, let me go ahead and spend money and time on a game that looks utterly awful every time I look at it. That’s a good use of my resources.

the problem is ur only 2 hours in. I thought the campaign would be the games saving grace, but the campaign missions are kinda god awful.

I think the skins are great. The combat is serviceable. Traversal is okay. Motorcycle is slow. the characters and voice acting is decent. and the cutscenes are good. Map is a little too generic looking. The skills/abilities u get are good.

The game needed better missions. 60fps. And a block button

MiguelItUp

I'm glad some people have enjoyed the game, really. But don't lie to yourself and call this a "AA" title. The project was very much a "AAA" title. To see it drop to $20 in some places just a couple of months later isn't a great thing by any means, and is pretty telling...

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
the latest patch, about 2 weeks ago was pretty much a super performance patch, and even though I didn't have many problems before, it's as smooth as it gets now; RT was unplayable for me before, now it's just an fps hit, it's still completely smooth.

Sending the PS5 version back to GameFly and bought the PC version. Playing 4K with DLSS and RT On and yeah, the performance is pretty kick ass.

Top Bottom