• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't sleep on Gotham Knights, its a solid AA title

Apologies for the light necro-bump but I see this is now available for 14eu on the grey market and was wondering what you meant by "mostly single-player game"? I mean I'm fine with it but I was about to tell a buddy to also get it so we can do the entire thing in co-op. Is that not recommended then?
It's entirely a single player game, you can play in co-op but there's only one mission iirc that kinda acknowledges the presence of a second players (and it's pretty well done).
So if you were expecting the game to be tailored around a coop experience, then you might be disappointed, the second player is never actually there narratively.
But yes you can play the entire game in co-op (after the prologue) and there's a there's a 4 player wave based combat mode as well.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Yeah, I was very impressed by the graphics in several areas. It's a last gen game but its way better than some of the other last gen games that dont seem to be dinged for their graphics.

I recorded this video on PC because I was shocked at how good the volumetric lighting looks in the caves. It properly illuminates the caves and has a very thick atmospheric feeling completely missing from GOW's cave levels which have a very baked lighting feel to them. The lighting here is obviously baked since RT is only used for reflections but it just looks right.

The city looks ok'ish but its these linear story levels that look downright excellent at times.

I don't see anything impressive here. For real.
On the other hand, those animations are awful.

VN1X

Banned
It's entirely a single player game, you can play in co-op but there's only one mission iirc that kinda acknowledges the presence of a second players (and it's pretty well done).
So if you were expecting the game to be tailored around a coop experience, then you might be disappointed, the second player is never actually there narratively.
But yes you can play the entire game in co-op (after the prologue) and there's a there's a 4 player wave based combat mode as well.
Ah sort of like Far Cry New Dawn then. It's the most recent game we went through in co-op and yeah... that game is not made for co-op lol. What a travesty.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I think people are being unfair to the OP because of the language he used. I think he meant it’s worth a AA price point ($25-$30) rather than a AAA price point ($60).

I would buy it in the UK sale at £25 if it ran at 60fps but it doesn’t and I’m not playing that sort of fast paced game at 30fps when games much more visually impressive are running at 100+fps on PS5.

anthony2690

Gold Member
Has this game got a 60fps mode yet?

I have TGC points that need using up, if not what should I get out of the Quarry or Destroy all Humans 2?

Or neither and save my points, as I have another £15 worth of points coming at the end of the month and could probably order atlas fallen for free (assuming gameplay looks good)

Nydius

I got it in one of the seemingly monthly GameFly sales for $19.99 and its.... enh. I can play just about anything if it's entertaining; Indie games, high budget triple A games, broken af games... as long as there's some thing that keeps me mildly entertained I'll keep playing. Launch Cyberpunk for example. As broke as that game was, there were threads of it that kept me entertained long enough that I kept coming back despite the bugs and ridiculous nonsense.

But Gotham Knights? I don't feel ripped off given what I paid for it but my god is this a boring slog of a game.
The kind of boring where I'll play it for 30 minutes and long to play anything else.

IMO, Evil West is an example of a "solid AA title" whereas Gotham Knights stands as an example of everything that is wrong with modern AAA game development. Unfortunately, it may be dethroned in that role by the forthcoming Suicide Squad game.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This is currently $14 on the PSN Black Friday sale....and I think Im gonna bite purely out of curiosity 😬

The way I see it, Ive already found Forspoken and Immortals enjoyable and they both basically have the same MC score (Forspoken's is actually lower and thats in my top 5 for the year)

No accounting for taste right? Durrrrrrr 🤪

Theres a shitload of bashing sure, but there's also nuggets of positivity too and mixed responses get my dick hard. Fuck it.

SCB3

OP is not selling the game at all... game slow at 30fps... bad combat... why would I want to play that?
Cause its fun? You'd never guess what my personal GotY is for 2023, I'll give you a clue its on Switch and also runs somewhat at 30fps and the combat can also be poor

mrcroket

Cause its fun? You'd never guess what my personal GotY is for 2023, I'll give you a clue its on Switch and also runs somewhat at 30fps and the combat can also be poor
That you find gotham knight enjoyable is a clear example that people can have fun with anything. And comparing tears of kingdom with gotham knight should be reasons for a ban.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, this game is.... not good at all IMO. If anything it's barely adequate and very mediocre across all fronts. I tried giving it a shot and just really didn't care to go any further because all I could think of was how much I'd rather be playing anything else, and I adored the Arkham series. Also lol at "AA", can't leave out that it's a "AAA" title that really didn't do well and dropped in price incredibly fast and for good reason. It's pretty telling, honestly, lol.

poodaddy

I tried this on Gamepass. I gave it 45 minutes.

This game is absolute trash. Dreadful to play, utterly awful. I don't think the reviews were harsh enough, I mean I cannot imagine how someone could possibly enjoy this combat.

It took everything good about the Arkham games, threw it completely out of the window, and did their own new thing, and it is inferior in absolutely every regard to the Arkham games. Stealth, combat, visuals, gameplay loop, traversal, voice acting, writing, I mean this game runs the gamut of mediocrity in a way that almost impressed me.

So, I bought Gotham Knights yesterday on Steam because it was on sale.

My opinion is that it's terrible.

The visuals are ugly, the combat is boring, the controls are awful, and the U.I is a cluttered mess.
Ironically, the only thing that wasn't an issue was performance.
After enabling DLSS I had a 110fps max dropping to 75-80 in the most obvious areas.

Personally, I feel like it's one of the worst AAA games I've played in a long time.

Ultimately, the two core gameplay elements are combat and exploration - and neither are interesting or original.

I got a refund and won't be going back even it ends up free on Game Pass or something.
it's on GP already.

cormack12

Gold Member
It's very bland and very slow. Feels likes you're moving through treacle. Have to earn a 'glide' ability? Wtf is the stealth?

The combat is nonfreeflow, not really sure why they chose to use timed attacks or swap all the buttons round either. I feel like it was a different game and they just threw the Gotham IP over the top.

Bridges

It's a decent time in co-op but I would never recommend it as a single player game.

It's not as bad as everyone acts like it is but that still doesn't mean it's worth your time

KiteGr

There is ONE good thing about this game!
Gotham-Knights-Batgirl-Thicc-Community-Reactions.jpg

Last edited:
Even at $12 now during the sale, it's $7 too much.

Do not pay more than $5, for this garbage, especially on currentgen consoles. Xbox players don't even buy it since it's on XGP.

Obligatory, this was running on a PS4/XOne, that came out 10 years ago:

A Batman game without Batman, a Spiderman game without Spiderman, Uncharted without Drake, TLOU without Joel…. imagine Nintendo pulling this shit with Mario!

SJRB

Gold Member

If you can keep up with his somewhat erratic and unstructured narrative this is an excellent breakdown on why this game fucking sucks.

Last edited:
I think it's hyperbolic to say that it's a trash game. It's just quite meh. I finished the whole thing a few weeks ago. I thought the story was pretty interesting up until the last act or so. The combat isn't Arkham, but it's fun for what it is.

The problem with the game was really all the GaaS-like elements like random crimes appearing around the city and crafting nonsense. If they had leaned all in on a single-player or co-op story campaign, it would've been a much better game.

But I paid $10 and had fun with it. On PC, it runs great now and I was easily hitting 120+ fps regularly.

sncvsrtoip

At beginning wasnt that bad but the more I played the more sad I was that this what we got 7 years after briliant Arkham Knight. What a shame.

Tams

So, I've bought the game but I'm struggling to sleep on it.

Can someone please tell me how to sleep on a digital purchase.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really see no reason to play this garbage in 2023, with all the great games we have. One minute playing this is one minute not playing one of those.

StueyDuck

Banned
Seriously, I picked this up for 50% off and I've been impressed for the first 2 hours in, if you're a Batman fan at all, its definitely worth a look at,

My only real faults with it that that fact that on PS5 its locked to 30FPS and runs kinda slow in places (I noticed it more in the Batcycle driving, it doesn't feel fast enough) and the combat tries to be like Arkhams but kinda feels like a offshoot of it, its hard to describe

Oh and the vibration seemed to turn itself off, its one of those games where its fun to blast through but not at full price, AA is where I'd put it so far
It's fun enough in co-op.

It's not groundbreaking or earth shattering but if you and a friend wanna jump around Gotham beating on fools then it's honestly a good enough time if you can get it for "free" or cheap

Neon Xenon

If you can keep up with his somewhat erratic and unstructured narrative this is an excellent breakdown on why this game fucking sucks.

This is a good video. The creator does a great job summing up the issues with Gotham Knights and how it all adds up to what looks like a rather middling game as a result. Personally, I don't think there was any one showing of the game (trailers, previews, etc.) where it showed itself well.

salva

I started it a few days ago, I slept on it from the reviews and never played it but I'm actually enjoying it. Maybe coz we've had such a gap since Knight...
It definitely doesn't play as well, but being a fan of anything Batman, it's serviceable.

It's also weird in that sometimes it looks last gen, while at the same time having really good IQ...

I'm doing purely SP, I can see how it's going to make me need to grind for things... But ~3-4 hours in I wanna keep playing.

mhirano

This game is BAD!
Got it on PS5 and the 30fps feels clunky and slow.
Than I got iI cheap on PC. While it does play better at 60fps, the combat is much worse than Arkham series (where is the parry?), bike riding feels ridiculously slow, crime solving is just dumb (you can dumbly trial and error it), animations look cheap and bathook in predetermined places is awful

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I’m a few hours in farting around the city and of course it isn’t as “terrible” or “trash” to me as nearly everyone here says it is (as always). A higher framerate would be nice sure, but Barbara’s ass makes up for it.

And holy shit look, an actual attractive female looking female!

wNm38v7.jpg

Combat is closer to something like Bully and The Warriors and you can still ping pong between enemies but it definitely ain’t Arkham. And that’s ok to me. Maybe the repetition will eventually set in and I’ll be turned off by boredom, but as of right now I’m finding this to be a great podcast game.

For $14 I have no ragrets.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Dark Souls on 360 was my game of the decade and it was 11fps at times lol
yes .. things evolve and perceptions change... news at 11.... try playing dark souls 1 on xbox360 at 11 fps again after playing the remake at crispy 60 fps with better graphics...

Its 2023.. sorry... 30 fps (only) its not acceptable anymore ... the mode should exist for the graphics whores who likes pretty lights and counting pixels... but the default mode for every game should be 60 fps and go from there.

Love Bloodborne to death...best game of all time for me .... and wont touch that game never again if the remake doesn't come.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
10 hours in and still dont think its a hunk of shit. Finished the Mr Freeze sidequest/fight (which felt like a legit boss fight in a Batman game for once with a health bar and everything). Gotham gets frozen over for one hell of a cool setpiece-y level. I love that sorta shit.

I'm basically treating it like Batgirl: The Game and it's been a good time. Only one segment has kinda felt like it was meant for co-op and it was when I had to waste like 60 dudes (which actually was pretty fun) but obviously wouldve been over a lot quicker with a friend.

I know it doesnt take place in the Arkham-verse or whatever, but this game has the absolute coolest takedown animations out of the bunch. And there's a good variety of them too.

A nice boot to the jaw and a thick thigh squeezing yo' neck. Aint nothin like it.

w2CBcYQ.jpg

bdqpgA7.jpg
pvy60Ek.jpg
9tSNwqV.jpg
z6IEGW9.jpg
fFAEUVk.jpg
H8DuXDq.jpg
Uv8Cv4v.jpg

uQraJ88.jpg

Ill die on this hill I dont give a fuck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom