• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does your day 1 PS5 have hardware issues?

Is your launch day PS5 faulty?

• I have a launch unit that has no hardware issues

Votes: 389 56.7%
  • I have a launch unit that has hardware issues

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • No PS5, no cry.

Votes: 224 32.7%

• Total voters

Justin9mm

This is what I find weird about people complaining about coil whine. You really have to look for it to hear it on the PS5. I assume the game audio or even the ambient sound is much louder than the whine and should not really be an issue.

Probably unfair for me to comment, though, as I haven't experienced it firsthand.
I'm still struggling to work out what coil whine is meant to sound like lol.. I've tried to watch videos but still unsure!

My PS5 is audible when I turn it on from rest mode and it spins up the disc in the drive and occasionally even when not playing a game some actions may cause the PS5 to briefly spin up any disc still in there.. Apart from having to literally put my ear almost touching the PS5 to hear the quiet fan, it's pretty silent.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
You guys are making me want to check the coil whine on mine now lol, when it was never on my mind. I've never heard any noise before, apart from the disc revving up when it checks.

I'm still struggling to work out what coil whine is meant to sound like lol.. I've tried to watch videos but still unsure!

My PS5 is audible when I turn it on from rest mode and it spins up the disc in the drive and occasionally even when not playing a game some actions may cause the PS5 to briefly spin up any disc still in there.. Apart from having to literally put my ear almost touching the PS5 to hear the quiet fan, it's pretty silent.
Coil whine is a buzzing sound. If you've ever been near power lines you'll know what it sounds like. It seems to be a pretty common issue but depending on where you placed your system and how good your hearing is it might be a problem.

Mista

Banned
So far so good thank god. But again, I barely turn it on. Gotta look into that later on when I actually start abusing the console

Reactions: TLZ
All good here. Console is about a month old and apart from 1 crash during some 60 hours of days gone (most likely game related) no issues to report.

Rest mode, apps and switcher all running with no problems. (Only turned fully off, or rebooted for software updates manually 2 or 3 times)

can hear the disk drive, or the fan from about 7-8 feet, but quiet and only every so often

also ran game streaming to my pro in another room and this works great 👍. If a little hdr wash out on the image and suddenly finding out how ‘loose’ a DualShock 4 stick now feels !!! 😬😂. (Shareplay also works well 😎)

I do have a ‘clicky X button’ though on the dualsense. Thinking a chat with Sony customer service is in order (still works, but been down this road before and it isn’t coming close to spoiling my new console experience)

yurqqa

I had a PS3 with some graphical glitches - false coordinates for some polygons. Maybe RAM issues.
I have a PS4 with Eject sensor issues. Had to just add the sticky tape to disable the sensor.

Fortunately my PS5 is working perfect for now as is my old PS2 Fat.
Hopefully it'll stay like this.

Kupfer

I don't know if it has hardware issues or if it's just the early software, which has to be patched, but sometimes my PS5 behaves weird.
Yesterday it didn't turn on, not with the controller nor with a tap on the on switch. I had to hold down the power switch until the LEDs startet to blink. Then the PS5 rebooted like 2 times but worked without an issue after that.
Also I had a problem with the controllers, after I didn't turn on the PS5 for like two weeks, both controllers where completely discharged. The one lying around and the one connected to the PS5 as well.
In cyberpunk I had some glitches with dead enemies lying around with weird graphical artifacts were glitching around the scene and I thought the gpu is dying, but it only occurs in CP2077, so I guess it's a games' problem.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Are the following issues now fixed?
  1. Rest mode
  2. Connecting external HDD
  3. Database rebuilding
If not, what is everyone doing to avoid/overcome these issue(s)?

DonJorginho

Banned
My coil whine is pretty bareable now adays, can't hear it with game noise on via TV or headphones on.

No hardware issues aside from that, happy customer!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
1. Not an Issue for me
2. I don't connect an external HDD /SSD until it's fixed
3. What about that?

2. "until it's fixed" means it is still a known issue?
3. Some people kept getting 'rebuilding database' errors, and these errors even bricked some PS5s. YongYea got the error. ACG got the error, and his console was bricked later.

Troglodyte

Banned
No issues on my launch physical edition.

I have a digital edition I plan on using for ps4/pst digital games that I didnt open yet.

Hostile_18

Banned
My system is headed back to Sony. I'm hopeful Sony's market leadership is justified in the realm of customer service too.

Hope you get luckier than me mate, my 3rd replacement should be with me next week. What country are you in? If its UK abandon all hope now 😂.

FrankWza

That's up to one of the mods I believe. I can't edit it. I don't think your going to find a lot of xbox die hard voting like you hope 😛
Don’t they have to be requested by op? I’m not hoping. It’s a conversation and an idea or theory that both sides appear to have right now and it’s the easiest way to cut out the bs. Just to keep things honest

Hostile_18

Banned
Don’t they have to be requested by op? I’m not hoping. It’s a conversation and an idea or theory that both sides appear to have right now and it’s the easiest way to cut out the bs. Just to keep things honest
I tagged Mod of War Mod of War . I'm not familiar with any other mods unless EviLore EviLore could lay the "secret xbox army" theory to rest by making the votes public? 😂

Hostile_18

Banned
Not going to change a private vote to public retroactively.

Yeah while i don't think anyone would object to this as per the question (not like it's a sensitive topic) i can understand why it wouldn't be a good precedent to set.

The PS fan boys will just have to suck it up. Just like any other poll there might be some bad data but no where near enough you couldn't extrapolate ballpark figures/trends from it.

Honestly if anyone is upset by this figure I think you have to question have invested you are in a company.. its not a sports team your supporting that requires unwavering faith. A high failure rate isn't a personal attack on an individual nor is it a fatal condemnation on a company.

It is what it is, the PS5 (as much as I love Sony) could and should have been manufactured better.

Last edited:
Yeah while i don't think anyone would object to this as per the question (not like it's a sensitive topic) i can understand why it wouldn't be a good precedent to set.

The PS fan boys will just have to suck it up. Just like any other poll there might be some bad data but no where near enough you couldn't extrapolate ballpark figures/trends from it.

Honestly if anyone is upset by this figure I think you have to question have invested you are in a company.. its not a sports team your supporting that requires unwavering faith. A high failure rate isn't a personal attack on an individual nor is it a fatal condemnation on a company.

It is what it is, the PS5 (as much as I love Sony) could and should have been manufactured better.

Does the PS5 have a high failure rate? I the 360 did and there was a ton of press about it and even a lawsuit if I'm not wrong. I'm not seeing the same type of thing happen with the PS5 though.

I'm certainly looking forward to getting one but a RROD situation would certainly turn me off. It's why I waited before I got my first 360.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Evillore is a xbot

Does the PS5 have a high failure rate? I the 360 did and there was a ton of press about it and even a lawsuit if I'm not wrong. I'm not seeing the same type of thing happen with the PS5 though.

I'm certainly looking forward to getting one but a RROD situation would certainly turn me off. It's why I waited before I got my first 360.

Its think its a high coil whine rate even Sony die hards like Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem has coil whine.

PS5 coil whine doesn't discriminate.

Last edited:
Hope you get luckier than me mate, my 3rd replacement should be with me next week. What country are you in? If its UK abandon all hope now 😂.
I'm in the US. I must say it was nice to get a box and packing material for shipping. I just hope that the coil whine is just manageable. It was just so irritating!

Its think its a high coil whine rate even Sony die hards like Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem has coil whine.

PS5 coil whine doesn't discriminate.
I thought Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem originally said his PS5 was silent. The coil whine issue is clearly a real thing. The Techtronic video showed the difference between the two power supplies of the XSX and PS5. I would have never guessed that some grey goop would make such a difference.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
A high failure rate isn't a personal attack on an individual nor is it a fatal condemnation on a company.

This isn't even a failure rate poll, quite a few people have documented why they would have voted for the second option and very few of them constitute as "failure". Even coil whine wouldn't be considered a "failure" in manufacturing terms for any company, that gets filed as a defect.

The poll should have been set to public from the start by the way to remove any ambiguity.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm in the US. I must say it was nice to get a box and packing material for shipping. I just hope that the coil whine is just manageable. It was just so irritating!

I thought Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem originally said his PS5 was silent. The coil whine issue is clearly a real thing. The Techtronic video showed the difference between the two power supplies of the XSX and PS5. I would have never guessed that some grey goop would make such a difference.

It does make you think how many other "silent" PS5s actually have coil whine after all. Would love a video of a silent one just because I'm curious as I've never heard one.

FrankWza

What is the point then unless your doubting the validity of the data en masse?
Because you know that is the narrative being pushed about here and it’s being referenced in other threads. By me in the next gen thread in response to the Xbox ot and by you yourself in the Xbox ot. One side feels that the votes are coming from posters who would never own a ps5 and the other side is calling it a conspiracy theory. It’s a forum to discuss so why would this type of thread be private? What is and what was ever the point in making it private? Mod already said it wasn’t going to retroactively be changed. So this will go on and on. Is that what everyone wants? Or are we better off with a new poll Thats public? If the numbers are similar that will go a long way towards breaking a news story of 10-15% hardware issues for the hottest piece of consumer electronic on the planet that apparently hasn’t been picked up anywhere.

Case in point. Suck it up? Having an issue free console? IMO it should not have been made private to begin with. You and I both know, especially based on your last 2 assumptions about why it should be public, that it’s an issue and it’s better represented by it being public. That’s why it’s 9 pages from 20 posters and yet there’s over 550 votes. Even you keep saying it’s 15% failure rate when it’s been at 10% in this poll for a while. That’s a significant round up.
This isn't even a failure rate poll, quite a few people have documented why they would have voted for the second option and very few of them constitute as "failure". Even coil whine wouldn't be considered a "failure" in manufacturing terms for any company, that gets filed as a defect.

The poll should have been set to public from the start by the way to remove any ambiguity.
yes

Hostile_18

Banned

It's super annoying noise but yes technically not a failure. I suppose it is a failure relative to all Sony/Mark Cernys selling point of the PS5 been super quiet.

Imtjnotu

Are the following issues now fixed?
  1. Rest mode
  2. Connecting external HDD
  3. Database rebuilding
If not, what is everyone doing to avoid/overcome these issue(s)?
this has been fixed long ago it feels like. through out december and this month i havent had any of these issues

Hostile_18

Banned
Because you know that is the narrative being pushed about here and it’s being referenced in other threads. By me in the next gen thread in response to the Xbox ot and by you yourself in the Xbox ot. One side feels that the votes are coming from posters who would never own a ps5 and the other side is calling it a conspiracy theory. It’s a forum to discuss so why would this type of thread be private? What is and what was ever the point in making it private? Mod already said it wasn’t going to retroactively be changed. So this will go on and on. Is that what everyone wants? Or are we better off with a new poll Thats public? If the numbers are similar that will go a long way towards breaking a news story of 10-15% hardware issues for the hottest piece of consumer electronic on the planet that apparently hasn’t been picked up anywhere.

Case in point. Suck it up? Having an issue free console? IMO it should not have been made private to begin with. You and I both know, especially based on your last 2 assumptions about why it should be public, that it’s an issue and it’s better represented by it being public. That’s why it’s 9 pages from 20 posters and yet there’s over 550 votes. Even you keep saying it’s 15% failure rate when it’s been at 10% in this poll for a while. That’s a significant round up.

yes

In hindsight yes it would of been better been public but when creating it I never knew a) it was an option b) believed only a few die hard would lie... which I still believe c) never knew it would trigger Playstation "Super" fans.

Out of the hundreds that voted less than 5 Playstation true believers are doubting the results. Even if we half the *defect* units that's still higher than the industry standard.

yes

Well I have an idea on how to do this. Basically when the systems out for around 6 months it might be a good idea to redo the pole. It might be interesting to see if any later units have the same issues or if they fixed them. We can make the pole public so people can't hide behind anonymous votes.

Just an idea.

GHG

Gold Member
It's super annoying noise but yes technically not a failure. I suppose it is a failure relative to all Sony/Mark Cernys selling point of the PS5 been super quiet.

If you try to turn the console on and it no longer operates as expected (eg. it constantly crashes or turns itself off or even fails to turn on at all) then it's a failure.

If it has a cosmetic or noise issue but otherwise still operates as expected then it is defective.

Even if we half the *defect* units that's still higher than the industry standard.

Now I'm curious... What's the industry standard for defects? As far as I know manufacturing defect standards vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and don't tend to be disclosed publicly.

Hostile_18

Banned
Well I have an idea on how to do this. Basically when the systems out for around 6 months it might be a good idea to redo the pole. It might be interesting to see if any later units have the same issues or if they fixed them. We can make the pole public so people can't hide behind anonymous votes.

Just an idea.

While it would be interesting to see that data, I'm not sure what it would prove as there is almost certainly going to be a stealth revision. This thread was about the quality of the launch units and how many Playstation fans (like myself) have been disadvantaged by been an early adopter. 2 months and I've had a Playstation 5 a week total 😂

Call me crazy but most people here arnt liars, so few are sad enough to lie about owning a console they don't just to say it's got a defect. My Series X works perfectly but If another thread popped up that also showed the defects were above normal I can hand on heart say I wouldn't take it personally or emotionally. I'd just take it at face value (with a little tolerance for erroneous results). I just don't get the emotional reaction from a few users (not referring to you).

FrankWza

Just an idea.
First off it’s a day 1 poll so the best time to do it is now. Second at that point the “defects” will be “corrected” and it will be “Sony launched with defect blah blah”
you know that

Hostile_18

Banned
If you try to turn the console on and it no longer operates as expected (eg. it constantly crashes or turns itself off or even fails to turn on at all) then it's a failure.

If it has a cosmetic or noise issue but otherwise still operates as expected then it is defective.

Now I'm curious... What's the industry standard for defects? As far as I know manufacturing defect standards vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and don't tend to be disclosed publicly.

I'm sure theres people better positioned to give a better answer than me. What led me to create this thread aside from my own experience of 3 unacceptable PS5s in a row was the amount of articles, videos and posts about these issues. Like myself you've seen alot of console launches but have you seen anything with quite this much traction? The 360 red ring was of course was a disaster but that really only took hold about 5/6 months into its life cycle.

Even if we take two most recent launches the PS5 and the Series X the amount of issues the PS5 has had its alot bigger and more numerous than the Series X has had. If the Series X had this same thread I'm very confident the results of unacceptable units would be significantly lower percentage wise than here. Also remember both sets of exteme fanboys on either side act the same so the marginal "incorrect" data would be similar in each poll.

None. Always very quiet. Occasionally I will hear the disk drive boot up even if it’s not in use if there’s a risk there but it’s briefly loud and goes back to quiet.

Loope

I don't think coil whine is a defect and much less a failure and i'm talking as someone with an axe to grind with Sony when it comes to hardware (but not consoles, so i won't bring it up)

It's annoying and that's it. First time i saw someone talk about it my first thought was: "welcome to pc gaming", that is, from my experience, i think now is the only time i have a system without coil whine.

Hostile_18

Banned
I don't think coil whine is a defect and much less a failure and i'm talking as someone with an axe to grind with Sony when it comes to hardware (but not consoles, so i won't bring it up)

It's annoying and that's it. First time i saw someone talk about it my first thought was: "welcome to pc gaming", that is, from my experience, i think now is the only time i have a system without coil whine.

I always remember someone on here saying coil whine shouldn't be an issue on a console when all the parts are a known quantity. Is there any truth to that? 😊

If it was equally hard to eliminate youd think Microsoft would be having the same problem.

Last edited:

FrankWza

In hindsight yes it would of been better been public but when creating it I never knew a) it was an option b) believed only a few die hard would lie... which I still believe c) never knew it would trigger Playstation "Super" fans.

Out of the hundreds that voted less than 5 Playstation true believers are doubting the results. Even if we half the *defect* units that's still higher than the industry standard.

there’s some more of this. Hahaha...ok
If it was equally hard to eliminate youd think Microsoft would be having the same problem.
maybe we should make a private poll about this and see?

GHG

Gold Member
I'm sure theres people better positioned to give a better answer than me.

I'll tell you exactly how it works. There is no industry standard for defect rates like there is with failure rates but companies can get a reputation for having a high defect rate. Recent example in the console space being the PS4/Pro and the fan noise.

Higher than usual defect rates tend to point towards a quality control or packaging issue (the latter is particularly prevalent if there are repeated cosmetic issues), whereas higher than usual failure rates point towards a product design or manufacturing issue. Acceptable defect rates are agreed internally within a company and tend to vary from product to product dependant on what tolerances are set with QA and the factory that manufactures the product(s).

The coil whine issue is likely a QA issue unless it can be shown that the majority of PS5 consoles have audible coil whine in which case it would become a design/manufacturing issue.

Even if we take two most recent launches the PS5 and the Series X the amount of issues the PS5 has had its alot bigger and more numerous than the Series X has had.

Citation needed. The sample size for Series X owners, particularly on this forum, is much smaller than the amount of PS5 owners.

In any case there is a trend for Series X issues that all center around the disk drive:

As with any products that are new to market you need to wait 6 months to a year to ascertain how prevalent (and severe) certain issues are or aren't.

Hostile_18

Banned
there’s some more of this. Hahaha...ok

maybe we should make a private poll about this and see?

I do it like that because theres so many rational playstation fans that I don't want to put them in the same boat as the handful of fanboys.

I've spent thousands on Sony products, played exclusively PS4/Pro last gen and LOVE Sony exclusives. But I just don't have the same gut/defensive stance if someone says something bad about them. For any game company even my favourite one I could list of loads of points about what they do well at and what they don't (and I do regularly).

Sure go for it make the poll options as similar to this as you can (just change PS5 to Serkes X) keep it private to allow for the same variance and don't mention the drama in this one (to keep results unbiased). It will be interesting to see. 😊

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I'll tell you exactly how it works. There is no industry standard for defect rates like there is with failure rates but companies can get a reputation for having a high defect rate. Recent example in the console space being the PS4/Pro and the fan noise.

Higher than usual defect rates tend to point towards a quality control or packaging issue (the latter is particularly prevalent if there are repeated cosmetic issues), whereas higher than usual failure rates point towards a product design or manufacturing issue. Acceptable defect rates are agreed internally within a company and tend to vary from product to product dependant on what tolerances are set with QA and the factory that manufactures the product(s).

The coil whine issue is likely a QA issue unless it can be shown that the majority of PS5 consoles have audible coil whine in which case it would become a design/manufacturing issue.

Citation needed. The sample size for Series X owners, particularly on this forum, is much smaller than the amount of PS5 owners.

In any case there is a trend for Series X issues that all center around the disk drive:

As with any products that are new to market you need to wait 6 months to a year to ascertain how prevalent (and severe) certain issues are or aren't.

Great post. Only bit I'd challenge is the sample size for the Series X. Yes its smaller than the Playstation 5 here but as a % of overall defective units it should still hold value. The only reason it wouldn't is if the sample size was so small (say less than 50 votes) that no overall accurate trends could be extrapolated from it.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Yeh if you have a GPU that you deem to have unacceptable coil whine not all vendors will even accept the RMA request.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Day one ps5 here, silent as hell, no crash and no issues. Ive been playing a lot of it as well with demon's souls, spiderman remastered, miles, ghost of tsushima and now last of us remastered.

Hostile_18

Banned
Yeh if you have a GPU and that you deem to have unacceptable coil whine not all vendors will even accept the RMA request.

Sony with the PS5 seems to vary per region as well. I've heard them denying returns for coil whine... but that may have just been the early days. Haven't heard about any been denied recently. As you can imagine I've been keeping a keen eye in the subject since launch 😪

Last edited:

Loope

I always remember someone on here saying coil whine shouldn't be an issue on a console when all the parts are a known quantity. Is there any truth to that? 😊

Well, yes and no.
On pc usually you buy stuff from different brands and they don´t have the same manufacturing standards etc. while on the console although everything is set up by the same brand (Sony) the manufacturing of the elements that will go in there is done by different brands following the standards from Sony. In this case, it appears to be some bad batch of a particular component, it's up to Sony to exchange it or not.
With cars is the same thing, the clutch pedal from my car (Peugeot 308) is noisy, particularly in the summer, they already changed it 2 times and i won't hope for the 3rd, because it is clear by the huge ammount of posts in many forums, that when Peugeot set the standards for that component, they didn't care about the noise. It is after all, a plastic piece on a clutch pedal that is used a lot.

Top Bottom