• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does your day 1 PS5 have hardware issues?

Is your launch day PS5 faulty?

• I have a launch unit that has no hardware issues

Votes: 389 56.7%
  • I have a launch unit that has hardware issues

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • No PS5, no cry.

Votes: 224 32.7%

• Total voters

Night.Ninja

Banned
And there are videos of PS5s without coil whine so it can happen.

Unless you're telling us not to believe someone like Hostile_18 Hostile_18 because he didn't post any videos of his issue?

It's up to you to pick and choose what you want to believe in. I personally believe that there are PS5s with coil whine and PS5s without it due to the videos that I've seen.
tenor.gif

Bryank75

Banned
Thats not what I asked? There are also videos on coil whine PS5s on youtube?🤷

So your PS5 isn't silent?

Are you able to do the same for your PS5?

geordiemp geordiemp come on mate upload a video?

You guys feel no way to call people out so show us how "silent" your PS5s are 🤷
My laptop is louder than my PS5's. My laptop is pretty quiet... so I think that says enough. I have one digital and one disc PS5, they really are very quiet, you'd have to put your ear right up to the back vents to hear it.

GHG

Gold Member
geordiemp geordiemp Bryank75 Bryank75 GHG GHG FrankWza FrankWza

Can we hear your silent PS5s?

geordiemp geordiemp dont you have two? Show us

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem is your PS5 as silent as your ps4 pro was?

So are you suggesting that any reviewer or user who says their PS5 is silent or inaudianle is lying?

Reviews that say the system is quiet or basically silent:

Sorry that mine works as expected, the onus is on those who claim to have one that makes noise to prove it.

Last edited:
Yes, cellphone picks it up more clearly than you would with your ears, but you need to get pretty close to hear anything.

I honestly couldn't hear that sound until you got right up to it. Big improvement over the Pro though and that level of noise wouldn't bother me.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Dang that's sweet. No caps?

Both with no caps, only 4-5G have caps though. ADSL, Fiber in all providers have no caps even ancient dial-up since like 1996. Internet here is pretty expensive though due to rocky mountains and so, also for having a population of only 4.2M. My 200Mbps is 40 OMR = $104, and comes with Jawwy TV and its receiver.

Both with no caps, only 4-5G have caps though. ADSL, Fiber in all providers have no caps even ancient dial-up since like 1996. Internet here is pretty expensive though due to rocky mountains and so, also for having a population of only 4.2M. My 200Mbps is 40 OMR = $104, and comes with Jawwy TV and its receiver.

Well at least there's no caps. That's kind of a thing here and I hate it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I honestly couldn't hear that sound until you got right up to it. Big improvement over the Pro though and that level of noise wouldn't bother me.

Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome! I always have my split unit AC on even for just air circulation, with that it goes from very hard to hear it to impossible because it's a 2 ton mofo that I regret buying it in the first place for being too cold. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well at least there's no caps. That's kind of a thing here and I hate it.

It's actually strange to have caps in the land of the internet. We have caps on 4-5G though, but I pay only 7 OMR ($18.2) for 500min and 7GB plan, never exceeded that even once because I keep youtube at 480p which is enough and you get free wifi at work or shops if needed. I just prefer to engage less with the internet outside as I engage too much at home, as you can already tell, lol.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.

Thanks for sharing.
This is what I find weird about people complaining about coil whine. You really have to look for it to hear it on the PS5. I assume the game audio or even the ambient sound is much louder than the whine and should not really be an issue.

Probably unfair for me to comment, though, as I haven't experienced it firsthand.

geordiemp

Night.Ninja Night.Ninja can you upload a video of your PS5?

As a side note, stop antagonizing one another. Some of you are way too heavily invested in this.

Ask users to send you their ps5 ID if they have a fail- its in confidence and then we can discuss actual fails properly - its impossibel to pick the genuine fail from the trolls and this has been out of hand now for weeks in about 3 or 4 threads which get bumped regularly.

I will leave GAF for now as I hate FUD and if it cannot be moderated there is no discussion.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
What do you want to believe?

Its electronic anything can happen
So are you suggesting that any reviewer or user who says their PS5 is silent or inaudianle is lying?

Reviews that say the system is quiet or basically silent:

Sorry that mine works as expected, the onus is on those who claim to have one that makes noise to prove it.

I only asked those specific users because there are going so hard at hostile
Night.Ninja Night.Ninja can you upload a video of your PS5?

As a side note, stop antagonizing one another. Some of you are way too heavily invested in this.
haven't manage to get one yet all sold out
Ask users to send you their ps5 ID if they have a fail- its in confidence and then we can discuss actual fails properly - its impossibel to pick the genuine fail from the trolls and this has been out of hand now for weeks in about 3 or 4 threads which get bumped regularly.

I will leave GAF for now as I hate FUD and if it cannot be moderated there is no discussion.

Just post a video, why is it so difficult?

Asking for PSN IDs, you are a big man come on.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Don't worry, brother. Most people with PS5's are enjoying their time. I'm here now more often because I just fully completed Spiderman MM, Astro's Playroom, AC Valhalla, Watch Dog's Legion, Immortals Fenyx Rising and might pick up Sackboy later. After that I'll be waiting for something that interests me, maybe the PS Plus game Destruction Allstars and later Returnal.

I just wanna har from Hostile_18 Hostile_18 if that's the coil whine he's referring to or is it even louder?

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned

So you can only criticize something if your heavily invested in it? If you truly believe coil whine is a myth based on EVERYTHING on the internet the best course is not to go into those threads and antagonize other users (who I might add are frustrated enough in the first place).
You've let console warring warp your whole perception of gaming.

I'll give you my game tag in the hopes you'll be a little more understanding with other users in the future and come back a little more relaxed. "Hostile_18".

GHG

Gold Member
Why though to justify the needs of fanboys? Will they ever get proof that will satisfy them? I'd rather just engage with level headed people. Like geordiemp geordiemp asking for my PSN to prove I'm a Sony fan. I could easily, but where does it end.

On the whole I agree with you but then we've seen instances of people using lighters on their PS5 shells to make marks and people vaping in to their series X's...

Its electronic anything ca happen

I only asked those specific users because there are going so

haven't manage to get one yet all sold out

Just post a video, why is it so difficult?

Asking for PSN IDs, you are a big man come on.
hard at hostile

Are you feeling ok? Are you having a spasm? I can't understand what you're trying to say to me.

Night.Ninja

Banned
On the whole I agree with you but then we've seen instances of people using lighters on their PS5 shells to make marks and people vaping in to their series X's...

Are you feeling ok? Are you having a spasm? I can't understand what you're trying to say to me.

How silent is your PS5?

This is what I find weird about people complaining about coil whine. You really have to look for it to hear it on the PS5. I assume the game audio or even the ambient sound is much louder than the whine and should not really be an issue.

Probably unfair for me to comment, though, as I haven't experienced it firsthand.

I think what I'm learning from this is that not all coil whine is the same. Some coil whine is just more noticeable than others. When I get my PS5 I might not get coil whine at all or I might get such a bad case that it bothers me.

I guess once I get my PS5 I'll let everyone know if I have it or if it bothers me or not.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Not sure if this is an actual problem but the disk drive is really loud when spun up all the way.
I think that comes with the territory though.

Aenima

No issues on my PS5 so far. Hope it stays that way the entire generation cuz im loving it. Its also the most silent console i had that uses a fan to cool down. Can only hear my PS5 if i get my head close to it.

I also think my PS5 might be a fridge. Playing PS4 games on it the console does not expel hot air, it actually expells cold air. Its weird, but its winter and my room is pretty cold. Only native PS5 games can make it expel warm air, but still not as hot as my PS4 hot air.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The buzzing you can hear close up is what I can hear from my seated position 7 feet away on all 3 consoles. I wouldn't say yours is silent though bud. If it was Valhalla on the Series X it would be perfectly silent at any distance. 😊

GHG GHG Is your PS5 better or the same than this?

I honestly have the AC ambient noise anyway, but even when closed it's pretty hard to hear anything from my 2 meters away. Also I only play with headsets all the time, never played without a headset since like 2007. It's generally considered silent, it's not a cellphone, it has so much stuff going on with a mechanical fan ;)

With my PS4 Pro most of the time you can't hear a thing, but with GOW or some demanding game and AC off you can hear the fan occasionally, but not noisy at all. With PS5 even when room is slightly warm it remains the same. If you hear it from a 7 feet away (~2 meters) and it's loud enough to bother you while gaming then you should return it.

If you may share a clip would help understand the situation, if you feel so though.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Banned
My dualsense broke. Spring in the right trigger snapped. The shop I bought it from wanted me to return the whole ps5 for replacement. Nope lol. So I bought a new controller. Ordered some replacement springs but there gonna be a month.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
My dualsense broke. Spring in the right trigger snapped. The shop I bought it from wanted me to return the whole ps5 for replacement. Nope lol. So I bought a new controller. Ordered some replacement springs but there gonna be a month.

Now that shop has some hidden agenda :lollipop_tears_of_joy: . Scalpers have a big reach as it seems.

So I had that crazy noise when the disc drive would fire up. I assumed it was the sticker issue.

I am happy to report the issue has fixed itself and gone from screaming every start up to nothing for a full week!

I read about the noisy drive issue on several reviews. Did you disk drive do that constantly or only when it would install something?

GHG

Gold Member
GHG GHG Is your PS5 better or the same than this?

Haven't watched the video but with mine you would have to bend down and put your ear right next to the unit to hear the fans working.

How silent is your PS5?

Here's how silent it is right now:

IMG-20210112-023400.jpg

Dead silent because it's not even plugged in and hasn't been for a couple of weeks because I have my sim racing gear all set up at the moment. And there's not a chance I'm wasting time faffing about to plug it in and take a video just for you.

Maybe one day you'll get one too.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is an actual problem but the disk drive is really loud when spun up all the way.
I think that comes with the territory though.
The drive isn't really dampened for vibration.
So you can only criticize something if your heavily invested in it? If you truly believe coil whine is a myth based on EVERYTHING on the internet the best course is not to go into those threads and antagonize other users (who I might add are frustrated enough in the first place).
You've let console warring warp your whole perception of gaming.

I'll give you my game tag in the hopes you'll be a little more understanding with other users in the future and come back a little more relaxed. "Hostile_18".
This is sad but not surprising in this climate. Some people really think Sony is perfect and attack anyone who says otherwise.

I did make the call with Sony and the lady reluctantly agreed to send me a box for replacement. I guess I'll see how my luck is. I hope we both get PS5s silent enough to rival the XSX.

This is sad but not surprising in this climate. Some people really think Sony is perfect and attack anyone who says otherwise.

I did make the call with Sony and the lady reluctantly agreed to send me a box for replacement. I guess I'll see how my luck is. I hope we both get PS5s silent enough to rival the XSX.

I've seen both sides do it but I wouldn't worry about it.

What made you change your mind did your issue get worse?

FrankWza

Gold Member
geordiemp geordiemp Bryank75 Bryank75 GHG GHG FrankWza FrankWza

Can we hear your silent PS5s?

geordiemp geordiemp dont you have two? Show us

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem is your PS5 as silent as your ps4 pro was?
My PS5, like I said in the coil whine thread from hostile(Theres like 4), makes noise when the disc spins. Coil whine, if thats what it is,(sounds like a slow spinning fan) can be heard when I go very close to the console with no other noises around. I can’t hear from my sitting position no matter what except the disc authentication. I have said in that thread I wouldn’t be surprised if 100% of the PS5 make some kind of noise. I’m questioning how it happens to be from predominately x owners that I have never seen in any thread about any game exclusively on PS5 or PS4 for that matter. Who never have one positive comment about anything PS related. But somehow own a console that is the most sought after product in the world and completely hate it and have nothing but issues. I was even trying to help hostile18 figure out if there’s a correlation between the fan and other lesser components. I asked a few of these posters to list their fan type and not one posted. I’ll make a video when all of those commenters show a pic of their fan and console. Too many of these comments are from people who supposedly own both systems, but can’t get enough of gamepass and leave their PS5 there to collect dust. They also all happen to have the sensitivity to coil whine similar to what a k9 has to a dog whistle. Too many coincidences.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I read about the noisy drive issue on several reviews. Did you disk drive do that constantly or only when it would install something?

Yeah one or two of my friends stated the same, although they say it happens once you install the game then it's silent. I think people are a bit suffering from PTSD coming from some of those jet engine PS4's.

classic film ptsd GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Hostile_18

Banned

Hope you get it sorted mate. The UK team seem to have an open mandate to allow any returns for could whine. Unit 5 is already promised if 4 isn't satisfactory for me.

Launch unit.No hardware issues for now.No hard crashes.Played some PS4 games from external HDD too.
CE 108-255-1 on Battlefield 4 in first couple days.Now is OK.Same error on NBA 2K21 during face generation process,was completly broken,but they patched it.
Console is dead quiet,love it.

Same, feels bad man. Though I stopped looking a while ago. Let’s lighten up a bit.

On the scale of crop dusting to Dutch ovens, how silent and possibly deadly are your PS5s?

Mine doesn't make any noise at all. I sit in front of my monitor and try to hear my PS5 and it doesn't make any noise. Then when I open my eyes I realize that I don't have one.

🤷‍♂️

This shortage is just frustrating.

Hostile_18

Banned
Mine doesn't make any noise at all. I sit in front of my monitor and try to hear my PS5 and it doesn't make any noise. Then when I open my eyes I realize that I don't have one.

🤷‍♂️

This shortage is just frustrating.

Might be a blessing in disguise all these returns mean that almost certainly there will be a small revision in the problem areas/parts for the second wave.

Hell at the moment Sony can't even seem to produce the controller cradle 😂 I've had one pre ordered since launch and still haven't got it lol.

Might be a blessing in disguise all these returns mean that almost certainly there will be a small revision in the problem areas/parts for the second wave.

Hell at the moment Sony can't even seem to produce the controller cradle 😂 I've had one pre ordered since launch and still haven't got it lol.

Well they are treating like a defect so they must be doing something to fix production.

The state of this thread :messenger_dizzy:

Let me get this straight..

A user calls out specific users demanding to see proof of a faulty console.

One of the accused users in return starts calling out everyone asking to see video proof of a silent console.

Man, the maturity of some people in here.

Then you got the user with the imaginary PS5. What people will do right?

It was me

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
If you don’t have issues with any other games I would think it’s the game. Any other game crash your system?
Sackboy froze up once and I had to unplug the system, but aside from that nothing. I haven't gotten a good chance to put in time on backwards compatability aside from DQ. I'm going to see how that goes this weekend and update.

Top Bottom