• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does your day 1 PS5 have hardware issues?

Is your launch day PS5 faulty?

• I have a launch unit that has no hardware issues

Votes: 389 56.7%
  • I have a launch unit that has hardware issues

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • No PS5, no cry.

Votes: 224 32.7%

• Total voters

Hostile_18

Banned
Thought this would be a good topic as the fact we are hardcore gamers has nothing to do with whether we have received faulty units or not so we should get a fairly accurate idea of the chances of getting a within spec PS5 anytime soon. Also we will get an idea if the failure rate is higher than other similar complex electronic devices.

By faulty include repeated ssd repair loop or format, coil whine/excessive fan noise at playing distance, failure to power on, unsolicited shut down, cosmetic damage, controller not charging, burnt/discoloured outer casing, disc grinding/rejection etc.

Software crashes I'd ignore unless you believe there specific to your faulty unit rather than universal, as that to some extent is just the nature of any early software launch.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Does anyone know what the standard tolerance for this type of manufacturing is? Or perhaps what it has been generally speaking for past console launches? (The 360 been the higher exception of course).

Maybe it would be worth it to get a 1 year store warranty. Then if it is noisy or any other minor issue, just use it until there is stock at the store and then trade it in for a new one.

Hostile_18

Banned
I have coil whine that you can hear when you get close to the machine, nothing I haven't had before on PC GPUs though so not a big deal for me. I guess this is the issue with the fan being so quiet!

Yeah it's a higher pitched noise as well so it hits different than a fan noise to me. Plus the new consoles are great entertainment centres as well so it's not what you want to hear during movie. I dont want a PS5 that continuously has to throw music at me to drown it out either. Obviously coil whine is only a problem if its excessive though i.e you can hear it at distance.

Hostile_18

Banned
Maybe it would be worth it to get a 1 year store warranty. Then if it is noisy or any other minor issue, just use it until there is stock at the store and then trade it in for a new one.

You'll get into the weeds then of arguing with retailers/Sony over what is or isnt within spec. They might say its within tolerance but it's the end users tolerance that should count. If 2 thirds of people have a near enough silent PS5 (sure to grow with manufacturing maturity) and I didnt I'd be unhappy.

Amazon are good at returns and have a long window now (31st Jan) should stock been freely available I'd go with them. 😊

Valt7786

All good so far, couple of crashes and shutdowns but it hasnt seemed to negatively affect it. Silent 99% of the time, except when the disc drive spins up for about 20 seconds randomly, even if im playing a different game to whats on the disc.

Gormond

Neo Member
Yeah it's a higher pitched noise as well so it hits different than a fan noise to me. Plus the new consoles are great entertainment centres as well so it's not what you want to hear during movie. I dont want a PS5 that continuously has to throw music at me to drown it out either. Obviously coil whine is only a problem if its excessive though i.e you can hear it at distance.
For my unit it's only noticeable when I'm within a few feet of the console, when I'm sitting on the sofa around 7 feet away you can't hear it.

It also only seems to do it at certain parts of certain games, for example when I'm looking at the map in Genshin Impact there is no coil whine but as soon as I leave the map it's there.

You'll get into the weeds then of arguing with retailers/Sony over what is or isnt within spec. They might say its within tolerance but it's the end users tolerance that should count. If 2 thirds of people have a near enough silent PS5 (sure to grow with manufacturing maturity) and I didnt I'd be unhappy.

Amazon are good at returns and have a long window now (31st Jan) should stock been freely available I'd go with them. 😊
At this point, I'll have to go with whoever I can get through checkout with first. Trying Walmart tomorrow, and maybe Gamestop Friday morning, those are the only sure lotteries I know about currently. Amazon would be great though, I check them randomly.

Robins

Had one black screen flash on dayz gone.

No problems on Astro Bot.

No problems on rest mode, ethernet or using discs.

Sadly can't try a PS5 game yet.

Received Error codes
CE 108-255-1
and
CE 108-267-9.
Once resetting and reinstalling the system software, still continued to crash
Also experienced significant coil whine.
Luckily I was able to send my console back for repair or replacement.
I made note of the serial number to see if its completely replaced.

Hostile_18

Banned
Received Error codes
CE 108-255-1
and
CE 108-267-9.
Once resetting and reinstalling the system software, still continued to crash
Also experienced significant coil whine.
Luckily I was able to send my console back for repair or replacement.
I made note of the serial number to see if its completely replaced.

Interesting. Please update when you get it back. I did consider going to Playstation support rather than through Amazon but my issue isn't massive enough to justify a few weeks without my beloved plastic box 😂.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I have around 45 hours on mine so far and zero issues. I got one for my brother also and he said he beat DS and did not encounter any issues.

Ma-Yuan

Mine has an issue with my E9 oled but I figured out. Turning on the PS5 and then the TV fixed it. But I consider this a non issue and it might be on LGS end rather then Sonys.

It is very quiet so far and nothing I can point out as being an issue with the hardware. Not even controller disconnecting or anything. I am in the UK so got it a week later though.

Game wise completed Astrobot and a good way through MM and no crashes. Tried Days Gone, GoT, GoW, P5 Royal on BC and again no crashes.

Matt_Fox

OP, you should add software issues to your survey - of which I have had a lot.

In 40+ years of gaming the PS5 is the buggiest console I've owned. I've had numerous crashes, and one of which was a total freeze requiring a hard reboot.

My kids account looks like it transferred but results in an error message whenever you try to open it and so they havent been able to access any of their saved games.

Hopefully all of this is fixable with patches, but currently I feel like Bugsnax should be the new PS5 mascot!

Matt_Fox

I should also add that it might be unfair to put software issues solely on Sony.

Call Of Duty Cold War seems to be a big culprit. Zombies mode is my jam and it really is crashtacular (the Reddit will attest to that, loads of heartbroken gamers spending 3 eye melting hours to reach round 100 only to have it crash!).

No hardware issues. Mine has worked flawlessly. The fan is whisper quiet. The disc drive is loud, but that seems to be the case for everyone. It throttles down fairly quickly.

No hardware issues at all.

I had one crash in Demon's Souls after 9 hours of gameplay, but I've played a lot more than that now and had no other issues. No problems playing other games (Astro's Playroom, Bugsnax, Ghost of Tsushima).
I also had an issue installing game disks to SSD... but it disappeared after I installed the game without selecting "COPY", and now it's working properly. Probably software related.

Console is very quiet, I honestly can't hear anything and I'm 3 feet away from it during gameplay.

Last edited:
Just a reminder that the 3 red lights issues on 360 didnt happen in the first week. Gotta wait and see for both consoles. This shit doesnt necessarily occur on day one

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Does anyone know what the standard tolerance for this type of manufacturing is? Or perhaps what it has been generally speaking for past console launches? (The 360 been the higher exception of course).

I used to work repair back in the day during the 360 period primarily. We said 4% but that's because we rounded down, it was closer to 4.2% the reason we rounded down is because the launch 360's significantly where bumping all historical electronic average faults just by existing, which prior to this was closer to 3%.

I have been out the game a long time but I don't think its drastically changed so I might be low balling it if everything suddenly become shitty but 4% is what I still use.

PS5 is working fine for me so far, only issue is I bought Man Eater and its crashed once on that, but that seems to be an issue with the game in general PS4 and 5 alongside its huge frame drops, shame too because the games fun as hell.

Last edited:
My only strictly hardware thing is that the disc drive is kind of loud. But that only even spins for installs (who cares) and the first 30 seconds of starting a disc game (also who cares). The system otherwise is totally silent - at least, it isn't louder than the ambient noise here.

Only software issue I have had was Astro Bot crashed once, I filed the report thing via the console, and when I loaded the game back up..... I was in the exact same spot. Like literally, the same game instance was loaded. No idea how a game crashed but at the same time put the game into suspend mode and let me load it again. Very odd.

My launch day disc ps5 has been perfect.
not had any crashes/issues at all.

only slight issues was upgrading AC Valhalla not showing up but sorted now and was a Ubisoft issue

dano1

A Sheep
I should also add that it might be unfair to put software issues solely on Sony.

Call Of Duty Cold War seems to be a big culprit. Zombies mode is my jam and it really is crashtacular (the Reddit will attest to that, loads of heartbroken gamers spending 3 eye melting hours to reach round 100 only to have it crash!).
I had one crash on Miles. None since the game updated.
I think it’s more software.
Love the hardware!

Rolla

Banned
Zero hardware issue and zero noise.

Sackboy has crashed a few times but that happened on my launch PS4 until like the 5th/6th stability update.

Tiptop10

Neo Member
COD crashed a couple times though I hear that's just the game update. Also, disc drive is loud. or at least, loud relative to the console just being in its regular state when it's not booting up the game from disc or installing.

Other than that I think I've been fairly lucky *crosses fingers*.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

No hardware issue, no sound, etc. I just had 2 software issues, one crash while playing Demon's Souls and the PS4 version of Spider-Man becoming "impossible to read the disc", after uninstall/reinstall it worked fine.

reinking

Gold Member
I have two PS5s. Zero issues with either. I have tried to hear coil whine, fan, any noises from either and have nothing to report. Also, no lighter burns on my shells. I guess I got the lucks.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS5 is the console but you continue to hear some bad stories about it (hardware issues, launch stock etc.) once upon a time you picked up your console and played it now the gameplan is have a going insane looking at your credit card and checkout cards, questionable pick up process, and have hardware issues.

Top Bottom