• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does your day 1 PS5 have hardware issues?

Is your launch day PS5 faulty?

• I have a launch unit that has no hardware issues

Votes: 389 56.7%
  • I have a launch unit that has hardware issues

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • No PS5, no cry.

Votes: 224 32.7%

• Total voters
There’s a lot of people just like you. Bought a PS5 not to use. At least scalpers sell to people that want a PS5. I can’t understand buying one to shit on...oops, I meant sit on. You should have bought a different console if you’re not going to play it.
I guess my post was fake news, right? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Just posting a fact, not ‘shitting’ on anything. Complain to the mods and ask for the post with the poll to be removed if you don’t want your utopian of PS5 view spoiled in any way...

FrankWza

Gold Member
I guess my post was fake news, right? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Just posting a fact, not ‘shitting’ on anything. Complain to the mods and ask for the post with the poll to be removed if you don’t want your utopian of PS5 view spoiled in any way...
No way. I want to see the names of who voted. And your post is definitely not news. Let’s talk about PS5 games. How did you like DeS remake? How did you like MM?

No way. I want to see the names of who voted. And your post is definitely not news. Let’s talk about PS5 games. How did you like DeS remake? How did you like MM?
Hate Souls games, not played it. Almost platinumed PS4 Spider-Man (fuck those screwball challenges) but not paying the asking price for MM. Will get it on sale.

Played some Bugsnax and finished Astro, apart from that I’ve played Last of Us Remastered and Ghost of Tsushima on PS5.

Pretty pathetic to try and discredit the ownership of anyone not fully invested in the cult, but you do you :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

So basically 83% of people don't have issues while 17% do have issues with their PS5.

It would be nice if someone made a poll on the issues so we can find out what the most common ones are.

So basically 83% of people don't have issues while 17% do have issues with their PS5.

It would be nice if someone made a poll on the issues so we can find out what the most common ones are.
I posted what mine were (some kind of database corruption/PS5 encountered a problem message) but unfortunately triggered a ‘true believer’. It goes away after it does whatever it does to repair itself btw.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
I posted what mine were (some kind of database corruption/PS5 encountered a problem message) but unfortunately triggered a ‘true believer’. It goes away after it does whatever it does to repair itself btw.
Do you switch it off at the socket whilst in use?

FrankWza

Gold Member
Hate Souls games, not played it. Almost platinumed PS4 Spider-Man but not paying the asking price for MM. Will get it on sale.

Played some Bugsnax and finished Astro, apart from that I’ve played Last of Us Remastered and Ghost of Tsushima on PS5.

Pretty pathetic to try and discredit the ownership of anyone not fully invested in the cult, but you do you :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You bought a PS5. Played 2 free games and 2 PS4 titles. It has crashing issues and you barely use it. Does that sum it up? Do you not play games much? PC gamer?

Everyone can appear to be a fanatic if you trigger them the right way.

🤷‍♂️

You always seems to be an Xbox guy to me which is why I'm a little surprised you have a PS5.

You bought a PS5. Played 2 free games and 2 PS4 titles. It has crashing issues and you barely use it. Does that sum it up? Do you not play games much? PC gamer?
Uptight much?

Yes, all of the above is true, except I play games a lot and I never mentioned crashing. I own Series X, PS5, Switch and a PC with a 2080 Super.

I’ve been playing a ton on Series X - put 130 hours into completing AC Odyssey, played quite a bit of Cyberpunk before waiting for patches and am now playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Finished Gardens Between yesterday, which was totally charming. Having a great time.

Difference between me and you? I’m a gamer, not a Sony fanboy. I can accept that there is good and bad on all sides, and my PS5 has had some minor issues lately. Not sure what’s so unbelievable about that...

Last edited:
Everyone can appear to be a fanatic if you trigger them the right way.

🤷‍♂️

You always seems to be an Xbox guy to me which is why I'm a little surprised you have a PS5.
I’ve owned every Sony console over the years. I actually worked for a PlayStation magazine at one point (true story). I don’t consider myself an ‘anything guy’ and play everything. I do find Sony fanboys the most irritating of the gamers though.

bender

What time is it?
Fan noise has increased since launch. It's not anything near PS4 Pro levels, but it's audible from 8 feet away during quiet moments in games. More of hum when compared to the hairdryer that was a PS4 Pro.

Fan noise has increased since launch. It's not anything near PS4 Pro levels, but it's audible from 8 feet away during quiet moments in games. More of hum when compared to the hairdryer that was a PS4 Pro.
I actually cannot hear any sound from mine at all (yet) (unlike the PS4 Pro which was truly ridiculous sounding).

I did have a moment where I was convinced it had really loud coil whine, until my wife confirmed that was the dishwasher. PTSD from the Pro :messenger_tears_of_joy:

bender

What time is it?
I actually cannot hear any sound from mine at all (yet) (unlike the PS4 Pro which was truly ridiculous sounding).

I did have a moment where I was convinced it had really loud coil whine, until my wife confirmed that was the dishwasher. PTSD from the Pro :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mine was dead quiet at launch too. I'm pretty sure it's the fan as the noise steps up from Dashboard -> PS4 Game -> PS5 game. I wouldn't classify it as annoying but noticeable. Series X is dead quiet though.

I’ve owned every Sony console over the years. I actually worked for a PlayStation magazine at one point (true story). I don’t consider myself an ‘anything guy’ and play everything. I do find Sony fanboys the most irritating of the gamers though.

Yeah I noticed you really don't like Sony fans. But I've seen plenty of issues with both.

Hostile_18

Banned
Mine was dead quiet at launch too. I'm pretty sure it's the fan as the noise steps up from Dashboard -> PS4 Game -> PS5 game. I wouldn't classify it as annoying but noticeable. Series X is dead quiet though.

Wouldn't that indicate the PSU based on workload? Fan wouldn't suddenly cut down like that based on app would it?

In any case I can 100% confirm 60fps modes make a units coil whine much worse. 😊

Yeah I noticed you really don't like Sony fans. But I've seen plenty of issues with both.
I have no issue with Sony fans, just Sony fanboys lol.

Xbox fanboys don’t annoy as much as they are the underdogs right now, and I hate the ‘schoolyard bully’ mentality, anywhere it’s found. It seems particularly sad online and over video games of all things.

bender

What time is it?
Wouldn't that indicate the PSU based on workload? Fan wouldn't suddenly cut down like that based on app would it?

In any case I can 100% confirm 60fps modes make a units coil whine much worse. 😊

I'm assuming the greater the workload the higher RPMs the fan spins at. I could be wrong.

Xbox fanboys don’t annoy as much as they are the underdogs right now, and I hate the ‘schoolyard bully’ mentality, anywhere it’s found. It seems particularly sad online and over video games of all things.

Meh what bothers me the most are people playing the victim. Shit gets thrown from both sides and I honestly can't say which one is better.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm assuming the greater the workload the higher RPMs the fan spins at. I could be wrong.

I'm just guessing but if your in a PS5 game (and say the fan is spinning fast) the second you hit the home screen the noise wouldn't instantly lower. I could be wrong too however. It seemed to me like the buzzing element was strongest at the bottom near the PSU than the top.

Last edited:

I think it was said the PS5 has three temperature sensors so it adjusts the fan speed based on the highest value that it gets.

But yes workload does influence the temperatures.

Edit: My mistake it's 4 sensors not 3.

To maintain a consistent and comfortable operating temperature, the PS5 will come with four temperature sensors. One sensor will be mounted inside the APU, while the others will be strategically placed around the PS5's board.

Read More: https://www.svg.com/263858/sony-isnt-done-optimizing-the-ps5/?utm_campaign=clip

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'm just guessing but if your in a PS5 game (and say the fan is spinning fast) the second you hit the home screen the noise wouldn't instantly slow down. I could be wrong too however. It seemed to me like the buzzing element was strongest at the bottom near the PSU than the top.

That's an interesting point as I'd too assume thermals would take time to dissipate even after a game is closed. Maybe it is coil wine but I didn't think that was a problem that could develop after-the-fact.

I’m questioning how it happens to be from predominately x owners that I have never seen in any thread about any game exclusively on PS5 or PS4 for that matter. Who never have one positive comment about anything PS related. But somehow own a console that is the most sought after product in the world and completely hate it and have nothing but issues. I was even trying to help hostile18 figure out if there’s a correlation between the fan and other lesser components. I asked a few of these posters to list their fan type and not one posted. I’ll make a video when all of those commenters show a pic of their fan and console. Too many of these comments are from people who supposedly own both systems, but can’t get enough of gamepass and leave their PS5 there to collect dust. They also all happen to have the sensitivity to coil whine similar to what a k9 has to a dog whistle. Too many coincidences.
You don't think what you are saying is massively overblown man? "But somehow own a console that is the most sought after product in the world and completely hate it and have nothing but issues." Hate a product? It's a games console and for many of us the PS5 has annoying coil whine. I still bet I've had more positive things to say about the PS5 then you have about the Xbox. I spent my money on both so I comment on both.

We aren't attacking your family it is just a hobby. As GHG GHG pointed out that my XSX too had issues. It's just the issues were quickly resolved and I moved on with life. Sony is saying that that coil whine is 'normal' and it seems way too annoying to be normal. MS did not say my broken XSX was normal. If they had best believe I would be complaining. Both the XSX and PS5 are good consoles and I can say so from first hand experience. Since you happened to snag "the most sought after product in the world" I'd imagine you'd be pretty darn happy. Many aren't in your spot.

FrankWza

Gold Member
Uptight much?

Yes, all of the above is true, except I play games a lot and I never mentioned crashing. I own Series X, PS5, Switch and a PC with a 2080 Super.

I’ve been playing a ton on Series X - put 130 hours into completing AC Odyssey, played quite a bit of Cyberpunk before waiting for patches and am now playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Finished Gardens Between yesterday, which was totally charming. Having a great time.

Difference between me and you? I’m a gamer, not a Sony fanboy. I can accept that there is good and bad on all sides, and my PS5 has had some minor issues lately. Not sure what’s so unbelievable about that...

You’re a “gamer”. ok.
And you allow “underdog” status(trillion dollar company) to dictate your preferences and you prefer to play multiplat on versions that are performing lower than another console you supposedly own but as a “gamer” the underdog status pushes you to play your series x which has absolutely happens to have no issues and when you turn your PS5 on to play bugsnax it crashes. I gotcha.

You don't think what you are saying is massively overblown man? "But somehow own a console that is the most sought after product in the world and completely hate it and have nothing but issues." Hate a product? It's a games console and for many of us the PS5 has annoying coil whine. I still bet I've had more positive things to say about the PS5 then you have about the Xbox. I spent my money on both so I comment on both.

We aren't attacking your family it is just a hobby. As GHG GHG pointed out that my XSX too had issues. It's just the issues were quickly resolved and I moved on with life. Sony is saying that that coil whine is 'normal' and it seems way too annoying to be normal. MS did not say my broken XSX was normal. If they had best believe I would be complaining. Both the XSX and PS5 are good consoles and I can say so from first hand experience. Since you happened to snag "the most sought after product in the world" I'd imagine you'd be pretty darn happy. Many aren't in your spot.
His point is ridiculous and could just as easily spin the other way - isn’t it odd that the most diehard Sony fans all have perfect flawless consoles while everyone else is having issues?

Some people are just too invested for some reason.

You’re a “gamer”. ok.
And you allow “underdog” status(trillion dollar company) to dictate your preferences and you prefer to play multiplat on versions that are performing lower than another console you supposedly own but as a “gamer” the underdog status pushes you to play your series x which has absolutely happens to have no issues and when you turn your PS5 on to play bugsnax it crashes. I gotcha.
You’ve lost me. I’m contacting Target for a refund on the PS5 I’m pretending to have bought from them.

Like I said, you do you - all Sony, all the time :messenger_ok:

(and again, never once said it crashes. Take a deep breath :messenger_tears_of_joy: )

Last edited:
His point is ridiculous and could just as easily spin the other way - isn’t it odd that the most diehard Sony fans all have perfect flawless consoles while everyone else is having issues?

I've seen regular people have consoles that don't have any issues. It's not like the issues are exclusive to one group or another. A PS5 isn't going to care whether you are a die-hard playstation fanboy to not die on you.

It's not like Tim Dog puts a disk into his PS5 and the console blows up because he's an extreme Xbox fanboy.

Either you get a console with issues or you don't. Both are possible.

fire fail GIF

Last edited:
I've seen regular people have consoles that don't have any issues. It's not like the issues are exclusive to one group or another. A PS5 isn't going to care whether you are a die-hard playstation fanboy to not die on you.

It's not like Tim Dog puts a disk into his PS5 and the console blows up because he's an extreme Xbox fanboy.

Either you get a console with issues or you don't. Both are possible.
Yep, was only specifically pointing out the lunacy of suggesting anyone with issues is making them up. All launch products have an expected failure rate - there’s no need to be so defensive.

Yep, was only specifically pointing out the lunacy of suggesting anyone with issues is making them up. All launch products have an expected failure rate - there’s no need to be so defensive.

Everything is possible here. There are people with defective PS5s and there are people with perfectly functioning systems. There are also those that claim to own one that really don't just like the opposite is true. It's really just a matter of reading through their comments and deciding for yourself if they are truthful or not.

All I know is the PS5 seems like a great console but there's a chance (like with any product) that I might get a defective console.

FrankWza

Gold Member

It’s not odd. What’s odd is that the people here who are having issues supposedly have both consoles and yet never happen to have 1 positive thing to say about Sony. Not one. Everyone can see your posts. Same as darkmage. He tried to put his psn id up as collateral. It’s all private. GHG found a post of his on another forum about his series x that crapped out. He never once posted that here. But the coil whine causes him not to play his PS5. It’s as piercing as being popular apparently because neither of you choose to play your PS5. But you do complain about them at every turn, every thread and thumb up all critical comments and lol anything positive. That’s what’s doubted. Not that the PS5 has issues. Of course it does.
Not at all overblown. I’m explaining what the issue is. You have no credibility. Every one of you comments is anti Sony. Either you don’t own a PS5 or you spent $500 on one to have license to comment negatively. Because you certainly don’t play it.

It’s not odd. What’s odd is that the people here who are having issues supposedly have both consoles and yet never happen to have 1 positive thing to say about Sony. Not one. Everyone can see your posts. Same as darkmage. He tried to put his psn id up as collateral. It’s all private. GHG found a post of his on another forum about his series x that crapped out. He never once posted that here. But the coil whine causes him not to play his PS5. It’s as piercing as being popular apparently because neither of you choose to play your PS5. But you do complain about them at every turn, every thread and thumb up all critical comments and lol anything positive. That’s what’s doubted. Not that the PS5 has issues. Of course it does.
You are too overwrought here. All I said was I’ve had a database corruption error - which has resolved itself - the last couple of times I turned on my imaginary PS5, in a thread asking if people with launch PS5s have had issues /shrug

It really shouldn’t have drawn the level of sarcasm it did in your initial response to me, and the first thought should not be ‘he’s pretending to have that plastic box because he only loves the other plastic box’.

I’m going to step away from this thread though, because you never know what people have going on in their real lives that make them behave in the strangest ways... Keep fighting the good fight if it helps!

Certinty

Not sure what kind of noise it is, but it’s stupidly loud even on PS4 games. XSX is far quieter on literally any game. Pisses me off.

FrankWza

Gold Member
You are too overwrought here. All I said was I’ve had a database corruption error - which has resolved itself - the last couple of times I turned on my imaginary PS5, in a thread asking if people with launch PS5s have had issues /shrug

It really shouldn’t have drawn the level of sarcasm it did in your initial response to me, and the first thought should not be ‘he’s pretending to have that plastic box because he only loves the other plastic box’.

I’m going to step away from this thread though, because you never know what people have going on in their real lives that make them behave in the strangest ways... Keep fighting the good fight if it helps!
Congratulations...you’re taking the high road. You’re an underdog now!

Not at all overblown. I’m explaining what the issue is. You have no credibility. Every one of you comments is anti Sony. Either you don’t own a PS5 or you spent $500 on one to have license to comment negatively. Because you certainly don’t play it.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: Well I guess you'd be most likely to know what I own than I would. Silly me :messenger_ok: Still surprised you aren't happier with the 'most sought after product in the world' but whatever.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: Well I guess you'd be most likely to know what I own than I would. Silly me :messenger_ok: Still surprised you aren't happier with the 'most sought after product in the world' but whatever.

I'm unhappy that I don't have one. It really would be a great console for me since it has so many games that I'm looking forward to.

I'm going to flip if I don't get one before Ratchet and Clank launches.

Nester99

I read about the noisy drive issue on several reviews. Did you disk drive do that constantly or only when it would install something?

It was only when the Disc Drive needed to be used.

It was bad for about 20 Seconds on Start up.
It was bad for installs.
It was bad for starting games that needed a physical disk License check.

If i had no Disc in the drive and did not play a game that needed it, i would not hear it.

I was seriously thinking about opening it up to check the sticker problem.

I would load DS or CP2077 with disk and cringe in pain knowing the sound was gonna be bad.

NOW ITS GONE ! i am so happy.

FrankWza

Gold Member
I’ll see you when the MGS remake launches exclusively for PS5. You can call it a remaster and a 25 year old game with a paint job ;)

in the beginning i had coil whine and the multiple crashes but nothing in the last week and i have been playing a fair bit of GTA online

Good news I had my first Australia 40 degree day yesterday with my ps5 and it didn't sound like a hair salon in an aircraft engine testing bay
but the thing pumped out enough heat at the rear it sort of heat shrunk parts of the curtains that are near my unit so i swapped its place with my series x

in the beginning i had coil whine and the multiple crashes but nothing in the last week and i have been playing a fair bit of GTA online

Good news I had my first Australia 40 degree day yesterday with my ps5 and it didn't sound like a hair salon in an aircraft engine testing bay
but the thing pumped out enough heat at the rear it sort of heat shrunk parts of the curtains that are near my unit so i swapped its place with my series x

It's supposed to release a lot of heat through the back. It means the liquid metal is doing it's job correctly.

I watched a video where someone replaced it with thermal paste and while the heat output decreased the fan speed increased a ton.

Very interesting video if you want to watch it.

Last edited:
I’ll see you when the MGS remake launches exclusively for PS5. You can call it a remaster and a 25 year old game with a paint job ;)
Well you certainly couldn't call it a new game. If a game has the same content with a new coat of paint it should treated as such.

It's supposed to release a lot of heat through the back. It means the liquid metal is doing it's job correctly.

I watched a video where someone replaced it with thermal paste and while the heat output decreased the fan speed increased a ton.

Very interesting video if you want to watch it.

yeah i saw that....its great that its pumping the heat out but its literally red hot air like a hair dryer and you sort of get worried that it could set fire to something
i dont know how these people are keeping this think in close cabinets

yeah i saw that....its great that its pumping the heat out but its literally red hot air like a hair dryer and you sort of get worried that it could set fire to something
i dont know how these people are keeping this think in close cabinets

True you have to be careful with it but I don't think it's a real fire hazard. Yes you're right that you definitely have to give it plenty of ventilation so it can do it's job properly.

Well you certainly couldn't call it a new game. If a game has the same content with a new coat of paint it should treated as such.

Metal Gear Solid?

I would really love MGS2 updated with next gen visuals. Not to mention the addition of some DualSense features would be pretty great as well. I'm sure there's a market for something like that.

Definitely would not call something like that a simple emulation.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Have 2, both solid. Common firmware issues with phantom installs cropped up, but seems it no longer happens with updates.

Top Bottom