• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does your day 1 PS5 have hardware issues?

Is your launch day PS5 faulty?

• I have a launch unit that has no hardware issues

Votes: 389 56.7%
  • I have a launch unit that has hardware issues

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • No PS5, no cry.

Votes: 224 32.7%

• Total voters

kiphalfton

No audio, and I have to turn off my TV a couple times and/or reset the ps5.

Also I have what looks like a dot that goes from the top of the screen to the bottom of a screen (kind of looks like a dripping effect, that is probably only a couple pixels wide). I assume the video issue is artifacting. Tried a couple different HDMI cables and/or ports on my tv (LG B9). The weird thing is my ps5 sometimes has this issue, and other times it doesn't.

Looks exactly like what's shown in the youtube video below:

Last edited:

small_law

I haven't had a single hardware issue, but Miles Morales definitely crashed my buddy's PS5 the other day. Granted I haven't been using rest mode at all because they're supposedly some terrible thing that happens to your external storage if you use it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Mainly software issues. Nothing has crashed besides Demon’s Souls. Godfall, Spider-Man, and DMCV:SE have ran great. Thinking back, my PS4 had very similar crashes- even mid/late gen. I am playing Cold War on my PS4 because it’s already installed/patched. Call me crazy, but I don’t mind it.

I hope everyone’s problems with their console gets fixed.

Last edited:
Had 2 freezes on miles morales fidelity mode,one caused it to go to the system menu,and I had a crash that turned off the system and it had to repair something didn’t have it on standby mode nor do I have an External ,that was during launch day I have yet to pick up miles since,I have played astros playroom demon souls and cod cold war and had no problems.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Since got it, it's dead silent but I don't use discs. Crashed once on Spider-Man MM before latest updates for the game and the system. Everything seems smooth and great!

Cyberwoo

Neo Member
Mine has a crazy rattling noise when reading discs and doesn't always read them.
Was on the phone in a que with Playstation Support UK for over an hour. They reckon they can do a repair/replace but it'll be a two week wait to get a replacement from them.

Hostile_18

Banned
Mine has a crazy rattling noise when reading discs and doesn't always read them.
Was on the phone in a que with Playstation Support UK for over an hour. They reckon they can do a repair/replace but it'll be a two week wait to get a replacement from them.

Man when Sony havent even got units to fix faulty ones you know it's bad. They didnt say it would be two weeks for me.. maybe that's just a disclaimer. Just running through there daft trouble shooter email now 🙈.

I asked about the USB repair loop while I was there and they had no information to give on that one way or another at this time lol.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It could as well be trolls. Showing the names would be good. Also issues could be minor.
Could be, but overall people seem pretty upfront about this sort of thing and it’s over 250 people in an older poll which is a decent sample size.

I don’t want to spend $500 and get “minor issues” either - in fact I’d rather get a bricked system then one with some weird issue that might not be covered under warranty.

Hostile_18

Banned
Could be, but overall people seem pretty upfront about this sort of thing and it’s over 250 people in an older poll which is a decent sample size.

I don’t want to spend $500 and get “minor issues” either - in fact I’d rather get a bricked system then one with some weird issue that might not be covered under warranty.

I'm not sure what country your in but if its EU we have 2 weeks to return anything for any reason when buying online due to distance selling regulations 😊.

Tiamat2san

Had the charging issue and 2 crashes when I had to unplug it (Spiderman remastered and dark souls, who are now on hold) .

of course several game crashes.

No audio, and I have to turn off my TV a couple times and/or reset the ps5.

If you hold the mute button on the controller, it mutes the entire console. Not sure if you knew that, but if you didn't and it happens again, you might want to try hitting the mute button. A lot of people mistakenly hit it when they're trying to hit the PS button.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had that error about going online to use this application. I swear the PS4 had a similar error too. I switched it over to LAN instead of wifi. PC’s typically have errors that start with NIC drivers, so idk. I wonder how many consoles get replaced over a that error? It seems like a firmware update or some other patch could fix that. My errors aren’t exactly worrisome, but an error is still an error.

Futurematic

No errors but I haven’t played any Ps5 games yet—my PS4 has been dead for a year lol so I’ve got a few to catch up on. Also haven’t used rest mode or external HDD at all.

I can hear when the fans are on within a couple feet, no coil whine—maybe I have one of the crummier fans? Made in August/China.

Last edited:
If you hold the mute button on the controller, it mutes the entire console. Not sure if you knew that, but if you didn't and it happens again, you might want to try hitting the mute button. A lot of people mistakenly hit it when they're trying to hit the PS button.

Hahahah no way I never knew that. It happened to me the other day. I couldn't figure out why everything was muted. Thought it was an issue with the 3d pulse headset. Turned that off and still nothing, so I restarted the console and it worked. Thanks for the tip.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Sony said my errors are software related. She said an update came out yesterday, so I did the whole Safe Mode>Update via Internet. She said to keep sending those error reports. They are working on a fix at the moment. Overall it was a very positive conversation. I read off all the errors from my log. She said they’ve gotten a lot for Demon’s Souls.

kiphalfton

Interesting. I was messing around with that button, as I wasn't sure what it did. I think the trick though was updating the sound settings. Fixed it in any case, whatever it is that I did.

Two week update:

Ive had two hard system crashes, both from playing Miles Morales

One game crash, was a BC title off my external SSD

Not too bad. Rest mode seems fine to me.

Amazon's reviews have 8 total "verified purchase" reviews claiming problematic PS5 hardware + one that says it was received with a broken controller. If it was really anywhere near 15% broken hardware, there would be hundreds of them.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Amazon's reviews have 8 total "verified purchase" reviews claiming problematic PS5 hardware + one that says it was received with a broken controller. If it was really anywhere near 15% broken hardware, there would be hundreds of them.
Theres no reason to believe that anyone who voted in this poll actually has a PS5.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
My coil whine went away

The console has only crashed once on the first weekend, 0 since the update. The BR drive can get a little loud when it installs a game but otherwise silent. Pretty happy with it.

Only been playing call of duty and I had one crash ,played miles on launch day and had 3 freezes and 2 hard crashes one turned off my system and had to repair itself so haven’t played it since don’t know if any of the patches fixed it or not.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm thinking there's a problem with UK replacement stock. They have had no additional units since launch as well so there probably all the same. 👊

Could you still return it? If so, do you have a PC or so? You can just wait for the next wave and pick a better version. Mine is pretty dead silent and I play for long sessions up to 12+ hours non-stop. You should expect the new batch to be better, I think.

Also there are parts lottery here, 3 kinds of fans, also 2 kinds of DDR4 DRAM's (one is Samsung, which I think it's the best, and another company I don't remember). And that's what we know, not sure about the power supply that is more than likely to be supplied from different vendors as well and heard that the coil whines comes from there?

And I saw people calling you a troll and so, but those problems are real and every person that pays full price deserves to get the best version of hardware. It's like with those iPhone 12 overheating issues and bricking. Warranties exist for a reason.

Hope you good luck in the next one!

Moogle11

Banned
None so far--ordered launch day and received from Costco.com late November. Maybe a little coil whine some times, but nothing audible with headphones on. Haven't used Rest Mode at all due to reports of issues with it, and waited a few weeks before plugging in my HDD of PS4 games. Haven't had any issues other than one system crash and couple game crashes from Miles Morales early on.

Akuji

my UHD Drive was loud, did the fix that sony has on their own blog. everythings fine now. fan is a bit loud maybe i check for the sticker too, but for now i dont hear it as soon as theres any other sound

Hostile_18

Banned
Could you still return it? If so, do you have a PC or so? You can just wait for the next wave and pick a better version. Mine is pretty dead silent and I play for long sessions up to 12+ hours non-stop. You should expect the new batch to be better, I think.

Also there are parts lottery here, 3 kinds of fans, also 2 kinds of DDR4 DRAM's (one is Samsung, which I think it's the best, and another company I don't remember). And that's what we know, not sure about the power supply that is more than likely to be supplied from different vendors as well and heard that the coil whines comes from there?

And I saw people calling you a troll and so, but those problems are real and every person that pays full price deserves to get the best version of hardware. It's like with those iPhone 12 overheating issues and bricking. Warranties exist for a reason.

Hope you good luck in the next one!

Thank you! Before the PS5 I was called a Sony fanboy and after I was called a Xbox fanboy lol. I think people resort to it when I criticise any one company (which I will do regardless in some respects as consoles cover so many different elements now, it would be disingenuous to say one company gets it right all of the time).

I'm "happy" to just keep returning it for now. I have a Series X to play in the mean time. I have thousands tied to my account tho so am eager to get back to PS gaming. Sony exclusives for me and the best gaming has to offer 😁

Tommi84

The poll results are quite bad honestly.
GAF is not the whole world :). People will complain more about something that say they are happy with the equipment/service. Now, yes, the coil whine is a bad situation and there're reports of users getting replacement consoles with WORSE coil whine, but still, there's millions of consoles out there already. Some, will be malfunctioning. Sadly.

And I'm writing to you as an owner of a PS5 with coil whine so yeah, I know the feeling ;)

FrankWza

Only been playing call of duty and I had one crash ,played miles on launch day and had 3 freezes and 2 hard crashes one turned off my system and had to repair itself so haven’t played it since don’t know if any of the patches fixed it or not.
I had two crashes in more than a hunnerd hours of playing. Apart from that, all good
FrankWza FrankWza this one.

PS on to unit number 4 now guys. Can I vote multiple times 😂
This is way I said it’s not an exact science. The two other posts I quoted just from today are probably not hardware related. It’s nowhere near 10% hardware issues. It can’t be that high. There would be overheating and bricked consoles like crazy.

Top Bottom