• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does your day 1 PS5 have hardware issues?

Is your launch day PS5 faulty?

• I have a launch unit that has no hardware issues

Votes: 389 56.7%
  • I have a launch unit that has hardware issues

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • No PS5, no cry.

Votes: 224 32.7%

• Total voters

Hostile_18

Banned
Interesting. I wouldn’t say I was moist in the thumb area or my skin giving off any unnecessary PH balances but there you go I suppose.

I mean I'm presuming it's not just physical strength used etc. Its something Sony should of tested for regardless with a wide range of people. 😊

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Which front port are you using? I've been told only the USB-A port provides power during rest mode, which is why it shipped with the A to C cable.
Well i was using the provided sony cable on the front, i'm not aware of using only a specific front port for charging, but i'll check when i'll go home if that's the issue, thanks.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
7% has issues with the machine? wtf that's a lot more than I expected.

As Soon as I saw this polI, I knew people would get this wrong.

The pole has 3 answers and we should only be looking at two of them

that means the "reported" fault as I make this post is 26 out of 166, which is 15.66%. This is of course assuming all of these are accurate and not perfectionists with there ear on the console saying they have "coil whine", or Xbox fans doing xbox fan things.

However the stat right now is 15.66% drastically more than the average we used back in the day which was 4%, I would say its still lower than the 360 launch percent on our repair business back in the day however and people seem to praise the 360 all the time so...

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I've only tried rest mode one time and it had a problem within 3 hours. I've had a half dozen game crashes or so. I've played the thing a ton, though.

Overall, as long as a day comes when rest mode isn't broken, I'll feel I got lucky. Its quiet as hell and I can't name anything else that's gone wrong.

Hostile_18

Banned
As Soon as I saw this polI, I knew people would get this wrong.

The pole has 3 answers and we should only be looking at two of them

that means the "reported" fault as I make this post is 26 out of 166, which is 15.66%. This is of course assuming all of these are accurate and not perfectionists with there ear on the console saying they have "coil whine", or Xbox fans doing xbox fan things.

However the stat right now is 15.66% drastically more than the average we used back in the day which was 4%, I would say its still lower than the 360 launch percent on our repair business back in the day however and people seem to praise the 360 all the time so...

Seen a few people concerned about xbox users voting but I dont think that a significant issue tbh. Maybe one or two users which likewise will be cancelled out by the PS fanboys voting without a console. Any poll is going to have a small amount of incorrect data, but the over all result will give an accurate approximate figure (which does at the moment appear to be quite high).

Platinumed astrobot and bugsnax and been playing a lil demons souls, spiderman and detroit. So many hours have been pumped into it and nothing so far. No crashes or errors. The only thing i noticed, though quiet, the fan is louder than my series x fan.

Trunim

Well, when the disc drive spins, during startup and then every hour or so, it's very high, and it's like a loud vibration sound through the whole room, like a chainsaw. But as soon as I apply pressure to the top of the console it goes away, and it has a smoother disc drive sound.

Not sure if my ps5-panels are loose, the tv bench is too thin or what, but it's annoying.

Hostile_18

Banned
So the patch today seems to have really reduced my coil whine.. if that is even possible? (Like altered the profile of the power draw or something!?)

On the down side.. Demons Souls no longer starts up 🙈

Last edited:

Vol5

Mine is running like a champ. The only problem I have is demons souls being stuck at the splash screen occasionally (before the patch released today). A reset of the console fixes it.

Tefl0n

It’s crashed once while playing Miles Morales. Also I had the disk version of the game so there was noise but that is expected.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Ok so there's a new patch today which fix some issue including :
  • An issue that prevented the PS5 wireless controller from being charged while in rest mode when connected to the PS5's front side USB Type-A port using the USB cable included with some PS5 consoles was resolved.

So problem solved for me as well :)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
My PS5 disc drive moans like a common whore every time i turn on the ps5 or start a disc based game. i hate it. i might have to return it because its starting to have this buzzing noise now.

whats funny is that my brothers ps5 that i also ordered which came on the same fedex truck does not have this issue. i literally chose the wrong box and now im stuck with this noisy pos.

controller not charging is not a hardware issue. its a bug with the front port that was fixed in a system update this morning.

Trunim

I reported earlier about my disc drive sounding like a chainsaw. I unplugged my console, took apart the panels and reapplied them, adjusted the stand a little bit and it actually seems that the vibrating sound has vanished. It's now sounding closer to my base ps4 disc drive.

Will lie down beside my ps5 all night and keep listening to it (ocd).

I finally got my unit(s) and it works but coil whine is kind of annoying on some scenarios, like on demons souls character creation screen and beginning of bugsnax it were annoyingly loud. (not literally loud, but too noisy)

I believed that people with "silent" ps5 are lying, living in really noisy apartment or are deaf, and I were right again.

Fan is not loud, but it is definitely easily audible from +5m away, even when it downloaded stuff on rest mode and it is/were spinning.

More quiet than I hoped for, but not "silent" as fans always make some noise and in non-noisy apartment any console, even switch, is audible while gaming from far away. But definitely much quieter than any PS4 I have heard.

The coil whine is the annoying part, as it is like R R R R R r r r r kind of continuing but non constant noise.

And fan have tiny bit of noise like it touches something while spinning, gotta try it on horizontal tomorrow

Is it hardware fault, probably not as it is typical that every modern console make audible noise, is it perfect? no

Last edited:

Trunim

Does the ps5 do a short 0.5 sec low growl just when you start it for anyone else? This is stressful, the machine keeps introducing new sounds from day to day.

McCheese

I finally got my unit(s) and it works but coil whine is kind of annoying on some scenarios, like on demons souls character creation screen and beginning of bugsnax it were annoyingly loud. (not literally loud, but too noisy)

I believed that people with "silent" ps5 are lying, living in really noisy apartment or are deaf, and I were right again.

Fan is not loud, but it is definitely easily audible from +5m away, even when it downloaded stuff on rest mode and it is/were spinning.

More quiet than I hoped for, but not "silent" as fans always make some noise and in non-noisy apartment any console, even switch, is audible while gaming from far away. But definitely much quieter than any PS4 I have heard.

The coil whine is the annoying part, as it is like R R R R R r r r r kind of continuing but non constant noise.

And fan have tiny bit of noise like it touches something while spinning, gotta try it on horizontal tomorrow

Is it hardware fault, probably not as it is typical that every modern console make audible noise, is it perfect? no

One of the four types of fan has that cycling/ticking sound to it, sounds like a defragging hard disk. The other types are much quieter, it really is just a lottery unfortunately.

When I heard how quiet a friend's system was I decided to send mine back.

Last edited:

PSYGN

Rest mode and usb charging issues aren't really so much hardware as they are software, right? I guess the poll title should've had "hardware" in the title.

Hostile_18

Banned
Rest mode and usb charging issues aren't really so much hardware as they are software, right? I guess the poll title should've had "hardware" in the title.

It appears so. To be honest I had no idea usb charging was a software issue. I thought in that case it would work for everyone or no one at all. Very strange.

PSYGN

It appears so. To be honest I had no idea usb charging was a software issue. I thought in that case it would work for everyone or no one at all. Very strange.

We wouldn't have known until Sony released the patch for it. But since it's a new hardware there's an equal chance that the software is preventing proper hardware functionality.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
We wouldn't have known until Sony released the patch for it. But since it's a new hardware there's an equal chance that the software is preventing proper hardware functionality.

But if the parts are the same in each machine why did it effect just a few units? I mean it obviously did just super curious.

One of my controllers has just randomly stopped working 🤷🏻‍♂️ Won’t switch on, won’t charge won’t connect ! Just dead (it worked previously)lol
Tried resetting it and still nothing ..help !?

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
According to the poll, 15% of people who purchased a PS5 have hardware issues

That’s insane. I’d be furious

Kamina

Golden Boy

Thats because the thousands of scalpers and owners who are happy dont report back.
Also hardware issues is a broad term.
A lot of people who complain have had only a crash here or there or coil whining. The ones with consoles that actually stop working are few.

Last edited:

Kagero

A couple crashes. The fan sometimes blows loud for a few seconds and then stops. Otherwise I think I got a good one. Very happy.

Codes 208

Bloodborne was working just fine yesterday but now for some reason after today’s update while I was playing it the screen would frequently turns black and flashes during gameplay (lasts for about ten seconds, then I can play again before it starts happening again a few minutes later)

Last edited:

JeloSWE

I have coil whine, I can hear it when the game is in quieter parts and easily heard when from across the room. It has to be the PSU as it gets worse the more power the game draws, jumping back and forth from the dashboard will have it change drastically. I've put it in the room next to mine so I can live with it for now but plan to try and get it replaced once more are available in stock.

cormack12

Gold Member
Hmmm, again got an auto shutdown today. Had been playing for about 90 minutes, got an auto checkpoint and the PS5 just died :/ Wouldn;t switch back on by controller or front button. Detached the power lead and uplugged the external HDD. Plugged it back in and powered on again first time *phew*. I had updated yesterday to the latest firmware as well.

HRYH6IC.png

The External is just a standard Seagate 1TB, I did notice the heat round the USB at the rear was significant and the USB connector itself once ejected was hot to the touch as well. What was weird was that I had to rebuild the console storage after it bombed as well. Then reattach the extended and do a repair. Think I'm just going to copy the game over and play it from the SSD for now. I submitted an in depth report so see what happens.

DonJorginho

Banned

But we all know that polls on public gaming forums are bullshit, and a lot of people are not knowledgeable on what is a hardware issue and what is a software issue.

Include trolls and people who are pissed they don't have a console and you'll eventually see a poll that is not even remotely legitimate, only legit feedback are the users who provide picture/video evidence of their issues.

Hostile_18

Banned
But we all know that polls on public gaming forums are bullshit, and a lot of people are not knowledgeable on what is a hardware issue and what is a software issue.

Include trolls and people who are pissed they don't have a console and you'll eventually see a poll that is not even remotely legitimate, only legit feedback are the users who provide picture/video evidence of their issues.

It's paints a picture of the scale of the problem. To disregard it as "lol polls" or "lol trolls" is a bit disingenuous. Not everyone has the inclination to gather evidence for trial via forum 😜.

If theres a few false votes either side, just allow for variance when analysing the data. It's a none issue IMO. Only people really questioning it are ones who are too invested in a particular side/console wars IMO.

DonJorginho

Banned
It's paints a picture of the scale of the problem. To disregard it as "lol polls" or "lol trolls" is a bit disingenuous. Not everyone has the inclination to gather evidence for trial via forum 😜.

If theres a few false votes either side, just allow for variance when analysing the data. It's a none issue IMO. Only people really questioning it are ones who are too invested in a particular side/console wars IMO.
I question online polls on anything, could be about consoles, could be about politics, nothing in particular.

Anyone who takes part in console wars non-ironically is a pratt.

Interesting. Please update when you get it back. I did consider going to Playstation support rather than through Amazon but my issue isn't massive enough to justify a few weeks without my beloved plastic box 😂.
Just received update my console has been shipped from the repair centre. The outbound serial number is different than the inbound, so I suspect they have replaced it! Will take upto 5 working day to arrive.

THEAP99

Banned
I had my first crash at all last night in my 3 weeks using the system.

I just loaded spiderman up right after and it was fine

Top Bottom