• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does your day 1 PS5 have hardware issues?

Is your launch day PS5 faulty?

• I have a launch unit that has no hardware issues

Votes: 389 56.7%
  • I have a launch unit that has hardware issues

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • No PS5, no cry.

Votes: 224 32.7%

• Total voters
Well my BD drive is defective ffs, 0 problems watching blurays but playing Spiderman and it vibrates with a very audible noise and sometimes doesn't even read the disc. I could return it but fuck... How long would that take to have it repaired. I don't want to spend holidays without my console.
Sony has an allocation of consoles for repair replacements. Contact them and start the process. The sooner the better.

Yamisan

Had 1 rest mode crash the day after launch. I quit using rest mode and no more issues. My console is silent except when the disc drive needs to spin.

MacReady13

Only issue I have had was about 1 minute into playing Sackboy my console just randomly turned off. Controller went off as well. Started it back up and went through the cycle off checking the hard drive. All went well after that and so far no issues since then. Hopefully Sony can fix these issues with stability downloads!!!

Hostile_18

Banned
Sony has an allocation of consoles for repair replacements. Contact them and start the process. The sooner the better.

What about with more subjective things like Coil Whine would they argue it? As opposed to a retailer where you can return for any reason (uk distance selling regulations).

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Noisy disc drive. Zero coil whine. 2 crashes in Spider-Man Remastered in a dozen hours. USB drive connected with no issues.

So far so good.

lachesis

Well, so far so good. I only turned it on a couple times since launch though, nor played anything extensively.
But it was on for very long time during setup, and also played several PS4 games and Astro's Playroom a little bit here and there - and so far no issues I can tell.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I thought my drive was bad, but I just had the disc the wrong way (vertical). Hah.

I almost did this while literally discussing it with two people in voice change that did to this. It was pretty damn funny. I had to admit to them that I nearly did as they were saying they felt stupid for doing it.

Just had another crash in demon souls. Turned rest mode off last week, no external hdd since it happened last week. Had to rebuild the database and the console was really hot to touch smfh

McCheese

Loud unbalanced fan plus coil whine, also had some graphical corruption once in astrobot which helped me decide to return it asap.

I don't have coil whine unless it is so quiet I can't hear it from less than a foot away. I do hate how loud the disc drive is when it is in use (which will hopefully be a minimal amount of time).

Kerotan

How does days gone okay and look on ps5 ? Haven't tried it yet
Majestic. Played 2 hours on ps4 at 30fps then held off a few months for ps5 version.

It already look great but now it looks even better at double the frames. And the game itself is fantastic which helps too. 10 hours in myself so still early days.

Majestic. Played 2 hours on ps4 at 30fps then held off a few months for ps5 version.

It already look great but now it looks even better at double the frames. And the game itself is fantastic which helps too. 10 hours in myself so still early days.
Yea its an amazing game but its long like 40 50 hours min . I m gonna get into it soon again

Hostile_18

Banned
Too open ended of a question to have any real meaning. How many people called it a "hardware problem" that a game crashed? How many people are defining design-as-problem? Without these answers the poll does not say much of anything.

Not really I put in the op not to include software crashes unless the voter believed it was directly tied to their faulty hardware.

Kerotan

Yea its an amazing game but its long like 40 50 hours min . I m gonna get into it soon again
I might try and platinum it which I believe is 80 hours. Double what it took to platinum Vice City but 30 hours less then Death Stranding. 10 down 70 to go!

John Wick

How can this be? You must all be lying? Social Media(including Xbot fangirls) are saying there is more faulty PS5's than working ones. There is an unprecedented amount of PS5 faults. It seems more than X360 according to some gaf armchair experts

Kokoloko85

Luckily mines been smooth, super quiet and fast.
Was worried about connecting the external harddrive with my PS4 games but no issues when I did.

dcx4610

I can confirm they don’t all have it.

tenor.gif

No offense or anything. I've seen now probably 10 PS5s in the wild and every single one of them have coil whine/buzz. All purchased from a variety of different retailers. I just think some people aren't as sensitive to the noise and some people can't even hear it. It's how they built the PSU from what I can tell. Perhaps there's a PSU lottery or A/B stock but I haven't seen any evidence yet.

Last edited:

FastOrc

I have had 2-3 crashes from the game, 2 times where the console was turned off. and 2-3 times when playing my controller as stopped responding.

DinoD

My PS5 is 100 % . No noise, no issues of any kind.

If there were going to be any systemic issues its better that they manifest themselves right now. Like with X360.
The original (phat) PS3 was the worst kind. I bet ya 80 % of them YLOD-ed within the 5 years. Which in many (if not all) countries meant that they were way outside the warranty period.

TheKratos

I had two freezes in Spiderman but could exit the game. Cold War crashed twice in one play session but won't be playing that trash anytime soon.

According to the figures so far 1 in every 7 PS5's has hardware issues 🤯
That's not how % work lol .
8 out if 100 have issues . Means 0.8 console in 10 have issues. BTW by hiding who can vote u gave a pass to few of our xbox friends to vote about having issues .u should make it visible so they don't vote

Hostile_18

Banned
That's not how % work lol .
8 out if 100 have issues . Means 0.8 console in 10 have issues. BTW by hiding who can vote u gave a pass to few of our xbox friends to vote about having issues .u should make it visible so they don't vote

I never said percent in that "1 in 7 have issues" figure.

I didn't even know the public voting thing was an option, I'll look now.

kuncol02

Banned
Multiple issues here Craig:
Rubber on sticks worn away similar to launch ps4.
Coil whine thats really loud.
Discolouration spot on outer shell.
Multiple crashes while warping in demons souls.
External hard drives needing rebuilt twice now.
X button got stuck in the controller when i press it down in a certain angle.
Other than that all good
No one can be this unlucky o_O

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I am a little bit suspect of the rubber on the thumb sticks. Mine seems okay but I must admit it does look / feel very cheaply applied.

Hostile_18

Banned
I am a little bit suspect of the rubber on the thumb sticks. Mine seems okay but I must admit it does look / feel very cheaply applied.

They had that issue with the initial batch of PS4 consoles. They never addressed it officially but 100% changed the consistency/materials.

Nitty_Grimes

Yeah split and peeled off my first PS4 controllers. Lessons learnt you would assume but it does look crap on this new controller.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
My Dualsense don't recharge at all when the PS5 is in rest mode. I've disabled the "stop recharging after 3 hours" option to be sure but it didn't change anything, so i charge my DS on my phone charger.
Beside that the PS5 is very quiet and stable.

Hostile_18

Banned
Yeah split and peeled off my first PS4 controllers. Lessons learnt you would assume but it does look crap on this new controller.

I've never noticed it on my two controllers. Mind back in the day on the PS4 I think it was party down to peoples ph balance of their skin lol. Sounds crazy, but I never had any issues for months, my mate tried it for 20 minutes and that's when the stick started peeling.

Hostile_18

Banned
My Dualsense don't recharge at all when the PS5 is in rest mode. I've disabled the "stop recharging after 3 hours" option to be sure but it didn't change anything, so i charge my DS on my phone charger.

Still a pretty big fault I would need exchanging IMO.

Nitty_Grimes

I've never noticed it on my two controllers. Mind back in the day on the PS4 I think it was party down to peoples ph balance of their skin lol. Sounds crazy, but I never had any issues for months, my mate tried it for 20 minutes and that's when the stick started peeling.

Interesting. I wouldn’t say I was moist in the thumb area or my skin giving off any unnecessary PH balances but there you go I suppose.

McCheese

Which front port are you using? I've been told only the USB-A port provides power during rest mode, which is why it shipped with the A to C cable.

Top Bottom