• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you Microsoft to invest into buying more studios or do you want them to use their resources and make new studios?

Do you want Microsoft to make new studios or buy studios to grow their portfolio of games?

• Yeah I don't mind them buying Studios

Votes: 59 24.2%
  • No I want them to make new studios

Votes: 97 39.8%
  • I'm 50/50 I want them to do both

Votes: 88 36.1%

• Total voters

quest

Not Banned from OT
Build your own great studios instead of paying to take devs (or entire publishers) and their games away from competing platforms. The first benefits Xbox gamers, the second only hurts PlayStation gamers and benefits nobody (except MS).
You mean like buying insomniac lol. Everyone does it period there is no spin on it. Sony could buy more studios but are investing in timed exclusives and other exclusive content. I rather Microsoft buy inexile and obsidian than them founder in financial hell holding on by a thread making lesser games. Would you rather have guys like Brian fargo making games or begging for money and trying to pay staff?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You mean like buying insomniac lol. Everyone does it period there is no spin on it. Sony could buy more studios but are investing in timed exclusives and other exclusive content. I rather Microsoft buy inexile and obsidian than them founder in financial hell holding on by a thread making lesser games. Would you rather have guys like Brian fargo making games or begging for money and trying to pay staff?

Insomniac is pretty much the only example of Sony doing this. Almost all of their studios they have either built from the ground up or bought when they were still small and mostly unknown. Sony has then built them up into the AAA powerhouses they are today, they didn't buy them already "finished".

Also, it's not like Sony "randomly" bought Insomniac, they have pretty much been a Sony studio for most of their existence anyway. It was a very natural acquisition, unlike MS buying Bethesda.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I want them to make their own IP mainly. Exclusivizing existing franchises is way worse than making a formerly multiplat studio make them a new IP

bxrz

Insomniac is pretty much the only example of Sony doing this. Almost all of their studios they have either built from the ground up or bought long before they were anywhere close to AAA. Also, it's not like Sony "randomly" bought Insomniac, they have pretty much been a Sony studio for most of their existence anyway. It was a very natural acquisition, unlike MS buying Bethesda.
Microsoft brought Bethesda to consoles. Morrowind was a Xbox/PC exclusive. Oblivion was a timed exclusive

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Microsoft brought Bethesda to consoles. Morrowind was a Xbox/PC exclusive. Oblivion was a timed exclusive

That was a long time ago. Nothing has been Xbox exclusive since Morrowind. And Bethesda is much more now than they were back then, now they own id and a lot of other franchises that have never had anything specifically to do with Xbox.

That was a long time ago. Nothing has been Xbox exclusive since Morrowind. And Bethesda is much more now than they were back then, now they own id and a lot of other franchises that have never had anything specifically to do with Xbox.
Phil said MS had a relationship with the leadership at Bethesda for a while now and that was an important part of the acquisition. Just because you don't see the relationship doesn't mean it didn't exist. They will have an even stronger relationship from here on out.

HYDE

Banned
Yes that Sony monopoly would be awesome for customers. I.am sure most here would love the guys at Sony bringing back that old Nintendo seal of approval for content and new levels of censorship. Jacking up prices of royalties which would raise the prices of non Sony games. The prices of hardware not dropping with Sony being the only game in town. No thanks you can hate all you want but Microsoft is the last competitor Sony has left.
Wrong. And who said I wanted a Sony monopoly?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I read that title as someone getting married...

Do you Microsoft .. take this studio .. to have and to hold .. till low profits do you part..

Greggy

MS will keep doing what rich kids with no talent do to succeed. Throw a shit ton of money at your problems.
You should ask Ted Price who threw all that money at Insomniac in order to succeed because it wasn’t Microsoft.
I bet you’re too busy playing his games to do that though. That’s what I thought.

Leyasu

Banned
What MS did was going all in on content and studios. Now they need to finally make good games, not buying even more studios.

The problem with their strategy is it's a double edged sword. Bethesda cost a lot of money. And daily costs are high too.

If gamepass doesn't take off soon in subscribers number, the losses could accumulate quickly.

MS obviously could bear losses for a very long time, but I doubt their managers would wait for many years before pulling the plug if profits don't come. Look no further than what happened with Mixer.
What, don’t you think that they already knew how long games take to make before investing?

Krisprolls

Banned
What, don’t you think that they already knew how long games take to make before investing?

Of course they did. But releasing games doesn't guarantee success will come and Gamepass subscription numbers will rise significantly. That's the bet they made.

Buggy Loop

InXile, Ninja Theory, Obsidian & Double fine, are good purchases that makes me happy. These guys worked fucking hard to just survive the industry for years and years now, with Kickstarters and so on. Having a big daddy with a huge bank account just assures me these incredible devs will finally fully realize their worlds.

Bethesda is just a power move and i hope it does not happen again.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Still, not enough anyways I do agree with him. They are buying studios only because they don't want to commit themselves to what Sony and Nintendo do.
You want to go through each Sony studio one by one to see what was purchased? Sony does the same thing just they did it years before. They are doing exactly what Sony did with obsidian, ninja theory and inexile. Buying smaller studios with good leadership and giving them resources and freedom to grow. Sure they could of went the Ryan route and spent 7 billion on timed exclusives but that be really shitty for everyone.

This is why what Microsoft is doing for smaller studios is good for gamers. It let's creative minds like Brian fargo make games not beg for money.

"I realized today that it has been over 15 years since I've been able to spend 95% of my attention on the creative process. And before 2005 it was another 15 years before that. It's a great luxury."

"At least 50% of my time is in fundraising and we have so little room for error. It generally takes a mega hit to break you out of the cycle and that is always hard to come by. A mid-size hit is nice, but the after-tax monies from that generally support another five to six months of payroll and leave you back on the hamster wheel.

cdthree

Whatever they buy or build next should fit their vision. They need to own PC gaming, which means merging or buying Valve and Steam. They need to move to take over mobile gaming. Which means phone gaming and Gacha gaming. Xcloud with data caps and full games that don't work on phones. Buy T-Mobile? The last thing they need is a major branch selling new IP on on every competitors device, whether thru physical copies or other. You lose some by paying royalties to Sony, Nintendo, Apple and Google, but gain massive audiences bigger than they have ever had. Helps sign new blood up to gamepass.

So what.

You think you make the rules about who can be bought and who can't? It's a free market. Zenimax wanted to be sold. They would have found a buyer eventually, be it Amazon, Google, Sony or whoever.

They actually have history with MS so this was the best choice.

This move helps MS compete with Sony. I think the main problem here for Sony stans is that they want MS to stay competetive, but still be under Sony's boot. Previously, people had no interest because it's been Halo, Forza, Gears. But guess what, now it's Halo, Forza, Gears, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Starfield, Doom and Wolfenstein.

23 studios is a lot harder to ignore than 5-6, isn't it? That's why everytime this deal gets mentioned we get a new thread. The announcement of those games at next E3 is going to light this place on fire.

itshutton

Microsoft need to make sure their current studios are structured and supported in a way that they knock out a few GOTY contenders. Bloating the stable with more junk will only lose the focus they need.

Krisprolls

Banned
You want to go through each Sony studio one by one to see what was purchased? Sony does the same thing just they did it years before. They are doing exactly what Sony did with obsidian, ninja theory and inexile. Buying smaller studios with good leadership and giving them resources and freedom to grow. Sure they could of went the Ryan route and spent 7 billion on timed exclusives but that be really shitty for everyone.

This is why what Microsoft is doing for smaller studios is good for gamers. It let's creative minds like Brian fargo make games not beg for money.

"I realized today that it has been over 15 years since I've been able to spend 95% of my attention on the creative process. And before 2005 it was another 15 years before that. It's a great luxury."

"At least 50% of my time is in fundraising and we have so little room for error. It generally takes a mega hit to break you out of the cycle and that is always hard to come by. A mid-size hit is nice, but the after-tax monies from that generally support another five to six months of payroll and leave you back on the hamster wheel.

It works for those studios until MS realizes Game Pass subscriptions don't take off that much and they'll never make money from this business, then closes all those studios to pull the plug overnight, like they just did with Mixer.

The argument that MS acquiring a developer such as Bethesda is essentially taking games away from Playstation users is based on a false premise from the start.

MS acquiring Bethesda (or any dev for that matter) isn't taking games away from Sony.

Papacheeks

Banned
I think they need to concentrate on what they have already. They hopefully got a wake up call with gears 5 sales and Halo to understand it's not a talent issue. It's managing them is where they are all wrong. And that also was under phil before they bought studios and he was promoted to ceo. He was still overseeing projects/studios. And he did a piss poor job.

Bsttletoads, voodoo vince, phantom dust in how they were handled was all under him. Sorry but at managing studio/projects ms has no clue and all the blame is not all on one man.

Cherrypepsi

I couldn't care less how many studios they have.
They have to focus on the teams that they already have and provide them with the best support to actually create good games.

Come on Phil Spencer, you have the ecosystem, good game studios, a very powerful console
Everything is ready, now show me what it can do when it all comes together

Derktron

Banned
If I was Microsoft, I would have exited the console industry by now. It's such a waste of money, after 20 years it has been nothing but a money pit for no financial gain. My investors are right, the time to get out was 10 years ago.
Whoa dude are you the ones who still say Nintendo is doomed? Because it sure sounds like it.

Derktron

Banned
Buying up struggling studios or struggling publishers makes a lot more sense then starting from scratch.
You got a point there, that I can agree on. If a studio is struggling with themselves and need help then I don’t see the problem.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Let’s see what MS pulls out of the hat, it’s simple right? Sony doesn’t have a mascot and those are hot right now if they’re able to make Halo, Gears, FORZA, and than have one of these new franchises step up you get a win in my book.

Genx3

It works for those studios until MS realizes Game Pass subscriptions don't take off that much and they'll never make money from this business, then closes all those studios to pull the plug overnight, like they just did with Mixer.
People have been saying this since the first Xbox launched and yet here is a new Gen and XGS is bigger than it ever was.

By the way if Game Pass doesn't work XGS could simply kill the Subscription service and publish games the old fashioned way.

Top Bottom