• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you Microsoft to invest into buying more studios or do you want them to use their resources and make new studios?

Do you want Microsoft to make new studios or buy studios to grow their portfolio of games?

• Yeah I don't mind them buying Studios

Votes: 59 24.2%
  • No I want them to make new studios

Votes: 97 39.8%
  • I'm 50/50 I want them to do both

Votes: 88 36.1%

• Total voters
They’re big enough as it is with Bethesda. They need to focus on delivering with the studios they now own.

Endless rapid expansion will only lead to eventual collapse.

Every major world empire in history should have taught us this important lesson by now.

Derktron

Banned
I wonder when we're likely to hear about their upcoming projects next

Enough CGI trailer, etc

Give me something tangible

PS5 is kicking their ass already
Lol that statement can be argued by what Nintendo is doing by going strong on sales of the Switch.

Derktron

Banned
They’re big enough as it is with Bethesda. They need to focus on delivering with the studios they now own.

Endless rapid expansion will only lead to eventual collapse.

Every major world empire in history should have taught us this important lesson by now.
I agree I think they need to focus on what they have now and make sure their current studios make great games for them.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The problem with this scenario is that talent doesn’t tend to stick around if they don’t like the management structure.

MS would then be left with an empty shell of what was an incredible development team. BioWare a great example of this along with many many others.

The sentiment is right, an established team should hit the ground running with a new project.
I haven't seen this happen with any of their recent acquisitions. I think their hands off philosophy is smart in that regard.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I say touchy because sometimes a thread that has Microsoft mentioned can be filled with hate or fanboy comments.
No doubt just look at the 2nd reply.

Anyway I voted 50/50. Do it all, I'm mainly Xbox only with Switch on the side. I much prefer Xbox games to the typical Sony 1st party games so I want them to give lots of great 1st party games.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Buying studios is a sign of weakness. They should be cultivating new IP and securing exclusives for the XsX. I mean Nintendo and Sony have been doing this repeatedly.

It's like what's happening in the streaming world, if you want to watch X you need Netflix, if you want to watch Y you need Disney plus etc. Without innovation you're giving me no reason to choose an XsX over a PC. The PC has already obsoleted the XsX.

Look at it this way, if Bloodborne 2 came out tommorow would it make you want a Ps5? Or would you be prepared to wait years and years for a PC release? Likewise if halo infinite became an XsX exclusive...

Not to mention the fact that exclusives means devs can focus on one hardware config and optimise ...oh wait...
Didn’t Sony buy studios to get to that point? Same thing

Aion002

Buy. They need more games and they need it quickly.

I bought an SS on launch week and I didn't play on it a single next gen game...The Medium releasing on january 28th will be the first Xbox next gen game and this is ridiculous.

MS needs more games and they don't have the luxury of building up new studios, in my opinion they need to be quicker.

Last edited:

oldergamer

MS has been expanding and growing the teams they have prior and after purchasing Zenimax. Many have moved into new office spaces or opened satellite studios. As panjev said, they grow them based on being comfortable with how they are managed and the overall quality of output.

There really is no reason to not also purchase new studios. They can do both.

Codes 208

The last time they made their own AAA studio we got 343i so....

actually I take that back. The last one to my memory was the dev that was created to work on the cloud engine for crackdown 3. Which was significantly worse than the atrocity that is halo 5

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't think they need to buy so many studios. In my opinion, it would be best to make partnerships with independent developers who are talented. And if it works, then maybe make an investment.

If you buy the companies outright, you're stuck with them. And not only that, these kind of acquisitions tend to cause erosions of talent.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

actually I take that back. The last one to my memory was the dev that was created to work on the cloud engine for crackdown 3. Which was significantly worse than the atrocity that is halo 5
Both the statements are false. Initiative and World Edge have not shipped any games, so Coalition is the last studio they made. 343i is older than all them, but still newer than Turn 10.
None of the Crackdown games were made by any first party studio(Realtime Worlds, Ruffian Games and Sumo Digital).

MistBreeze

they have now like what?? 23 studios???

they have maybe too much now

they better stop expanding otherwise it will lead to management issues and it is the last thing they want

Last edited:
343i is the poster child for the notion "money can't make games". It takes a visionary leader(s). Ubisoft does this a lot. All the Ubi franchises have become unmoored from their creators and they now exist in a state where they're being made, but no one loves the projects.

I suspect GTA6 will suffer dearly from the loss of Houser.

Maybe you can buy some visionaries? Worked for EA bringing West and Zampella back in the fold with Respawn. But these people are few and far between.

I hope Outer Worlds 2 gets big funding. The first was kinda bare bones, but it's the first time in recent memory Obsidian dropped a big game with no glaring technical bugs. A great "proof of concept" that should encourage a big budget sequel.

yurinka

I think that with the 'recent' purchases, MS already has enough studios for the future specially if they grow them to give them extra budget and maybe create more dev teams working at the same time inside them.

But they will need time to release their first games created since the start under the MS banner, because it takes time to make big games. If MS needs something, would be some big AAA exclusives for the next couple of years, because I think beyond that they will have it covered.

And they don't have time to cover these couple of year with new studios, because to grow a new studio needs more time than to buy an existing one who has their game ready to be published. Another, more realistic option would be to pay some 3rd party to make (probably timed) console exclusive some game that was planned to be multi. But this an be unpopular when done with well known AAA multi brand that may be more associated with other console (as happened with Tomb Raider). Obviously they can also try it with indies, for the prize of a huge AAA they can make (timed?) console exclusive several great indies.

supernova8

Banned
I want them to finally do something with the studios they already have.

I mean just look at this, it's ridiculous.

j6QpjT9MTHj_kJDWECYNoKFOuyPqsQpPHwDGDujk1KU.jpg

I mean they've been around since the original Xbox (ie they're only technically one generation later than Playstation to the console party) and the memorable Xbox exclusive franchises I can think of (without actually making an effort to remember) are:

Halo
Forza
Gears of War
Dead Rising (until it went multiplat for DR2)
Project Gotham (they canned it)
Fable
Crackdown
Alan Wake
Chronicles of Riddick (for me but maybe not for everyone, I loved it)
Ninety Nine Nights
Lost Odyssey
Sunset Overdrive
Blue Dragon
Ninja Gaiden
Chromehounds
Steel Battalion
Dead or Alive (3 and 4 were exclusive for Xbox and X360 respectively)
Saints Row (was originally exclusive for Xbox 360)
Amped 3

Look at how many of those games are either a mess now or just don't really exist anymore.

Part of it is probably the Xbox One not selling as well as people hoped and 3rd party support/willingness to release exclusives on Xbox suffering, and I guess Microsoft/Xbox either failed to or didn't want to money-hat those exclusives.

Xbox 360 was the best Xbox generation by far but think now what does Xbox have to be excited about? A bunch of studios, a few pre-recorded CGI "cinematic teaser world premiere cinematic teaser" trailers...?

Buying more studios isn't going to help. Just get the damn games out the door and please establish some genuinely long-standing franchises beyond Halo, Forza and Gears of War.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I mean they've been around since the original Xbox (ie they're only technically one generation later than Playstation to the console party) and the memorable Xbox exclusive franchises I can think of (without actually making an effort to remember) are:

Halo
Forza
Gears of War
Dead Rising (until it went multiplat for DR2)
Project Gotham (they canned it)
Fable
Crackdown
Alan Wake
Chronicles of Riddick (for me but maybe not for everyone, I loved it)
Ninety Nine Nights
Lost Odyssey
Sunset Overdrive
Blue Dragon
Ninja Gaiden
Chromehounds
Steel Battalion
Dead or Alive (3 and 4 were exclusive for Xbox and X360 respectively)
Saints Row (was originally exclusive for Xbox 360)
Amped 3

Look at how many of those games are either a mess now or just don't really exist anymore.

Part of it is probably the Xbox One not selling as well as people hoped and 3rd party support/willingness to release exclusives on Xbox suffering, and I guess Microsoft/Xbox either failed to or didn't want to money-hat those exclusives.

Xbox 360 was the best Xbox generation by far but think now what does Xbox have to be excited about? A bunch of studios, a few pre-recorded CGI "cinematic teaser world premiere cinematic teaser" trailers...?

Buying more studios isn't going to help. Just get the damn games out the door and please establish some genuinely long-standing franchises beyond Halo, Forza and Gears of War.
Actually the more studios they buy the better chance to establish new tentpole games. It is about not only buying big publishers like zenimax but small studios with strong leadership like inexile and pump resources into them so they can grow and flourish. The mistake of the 360 era was all the timed exclusives not owning anything or building up studios put them in this spot where they are rebuilding the first party from the ashes. Rebuilding takes time and no one likes that but the pay off is much greater than a couple of timed exclusives. A constant stream of content once things get rolling versus one or 2 games.

Codes 208

Both the statements are false. Initiative and World Edge have not shipped any games, so Coalition is the last studio they made. 343i is older than all them, but still newer than Turn 10.
None of the Crackdown games were made by any first party studio(Realtime Worlds, Ruffian Games and Sumo Digital).
Did they not buy coalition back they were black tusk?

Edit: yes and no, they started off independent making Facebook games as zipline studios before being approached by ms and later becoming black tusk studios and then coalition when they became the gears equivalent to 343i

Last edited:
MS has been expanding and growing the teams they have prior and after purchasing Zenimax. Many have moved into new office spaces or opened satellite studios. As panjev said, they grow them based on being comfortable with how they are managed and the overall quality of output.

There really is no reason to not also purchase new studios. They can do both.

And yet they launched not one but two next-gen consoles without any first party exclusive games.

There’s clearly still a lot of work they need to do to get their existing dev houses in order. Buying up more studios when your studio management doesn’t even have the bandwidth to properly manage the existing ones isn’t really a sure recipe for success.

Shouldn't really want any company to buy up IP and developers. It just leads to commoditisation of franchises. Just a constant haze of unoriginal high-budget noise.

See: The Walt Disney Company and what they did with Star Wars and seem to be doing with their own fucking properties too now. Even the much loved Marvel was mostly vanilla shite outside of a handful.

I guess how they buy studios and what they do with them historically has something to do with it too?

Look at most acquisitions Sony has done: normally there is quite a long courtship where the companies work closer snd closer and then one or two bigger bets given to the second party dev which result in an acquisition of the company is willing and has passed these “fitness” tests.
Sony has historically given a lot of freedom to their Studios and buys studios they feel they can entrust and grow and their software output over the last 25+ years speaks for itself.

Also, they have been adding new teams and grown organically their existing studios which is kind of like buying or founding a new one, but sounds less fancy I guess.

I think this is why people would welcome MS acquiring Sega the same way people were ok with Sony acquiring Insomniac or the rumors that Sony will buy Bluepoint. MS and Sega have worked together for years dating back to the Dreamcast. Also MS has made deals to bring games from both Sega's japanese and western studios, Sega even made a Halo game. Regarding Japan, when MS made their first Xbox they were like the new kid sitting alone all by himself at the lunch table, Sega was like the only major japanese publisher that would sit at the same table.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Did they not buy coalition back they were black tusk?

Edit: yes and no, they started off independent making Facebook games as zipline studios before being approached by ms and later becoming black tusk studios and then coalition when they became the gears equivalent to 343i
They were never 3rd party in the first place. Zipline was always a first party studio.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Should have a choice - "either, but need more games more often"

I really don't care which studios the games come from just need more of them and more often.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I in all honesty I want them to fuck off and leave the video game console industry alone. Contributions have been shite and continue to be. Just put Game Pass on all consoles and quit trying to sell hardware.
Yes that Sony monopoly would be awesome for customers. I.am sure most here would love the guys at Sony bringing back that old Nintendo seal of approval for content and new levels of censorship. Jacking up prices of royalties which would raise the prices of non Sony games. The prices of hardware not dropping with Sony being the only game in town. No thanks you can hate all you want but Microsoft is the last competitor Sony has left.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

WTF are you babbling about? The last time they made AAA studios was Playground 2 and The initiative. WAY after 343 and the studio that made Crackdown which is also not 1st party studio.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think this is why people would welcome MS acquiring Sega the same way people were ok with Sony acquiring Insomniac or the rumors that Sony will buy Bluepoint. MS and Sega have worked together for years dating back to the Dreamcast. Also MS has made deals to bring games from both Sega's japanese and western studios, Sega even made a Halo game. Regarding Japan, when MS made their first Xbox they were like the new kid sitting alone all by himself at the lunch table, Sega was like the only major japanese publisher that would sit at the same table.
Sony Japan worked quite close with SEGA too, it’s mostly SEGA fans that fled to Xbox when SEGA quit the HW market.

Most people are only aware of Microsoft buying something, which is ironic, since we've seen in the past that their games tend to come out everywhere anyway, while sonys becomes locked.

But people often act like this depending on who's buying.

"Microsoft acts like a rich kid and buys everything cus they lack talent."

"I'm so glad Sony bought this dev its so nice they support them financially I love these devs so much now"

This is the difference. Sony good. Microsoft bad.

Streaming to phone is literally AAA titles from console you can play with a controller.
Diablo immortal is a shitty mobile game at its core. How can you even compare this shit?
Because microsoft studio management was shit last generation. Maybe you and the others, are not aware.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Because microsoft studio management was shit last generation. Maybe you and the others, are not aware.
Can you please explain me how Microsoft managed the studios during xbox 360 era? I haven't heard anything about it so I'm curious.

Codes 208

WTF are you babbling about? The last time they made AAA studios was Playground 2 and The initiative. WAY after 343 and the studio that made Crackdown which is also not 1st party studio.
I wrote that while I was half asleep, Bernkastel already has you covered on that argument.

Imagine Liquid Phil coming out on stage at the Microsoft conference @ E3 2022 in a Kingdom Hearts Tee and a Sepiroth wig to announce that Dragon Quest XII will be an Xbox console exclusive.

Weeb suicides would be up 950% for that Month alone.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Build your own great studios instead of paying to take devs (or entire publishers) and their games away from competing platforms. The first benefits Xbox gamers, the second only hurts PlayStation gamers and benefits nobody (except MS).

Last edited:
Imagine Liquid Phil coming out on stage at the Microsoft conference @ E3 2022 in a Kingdom Hearts Tee and a Sepiroth wig to announce that Dragon Quest XII will be an Xbox console exclusive.

Imagine if they sell only dudebro games for fat american player oh wait...

Top Bottom