• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you Microsoft to invest into buying more studios or do you want them to use their resources and make new studios?

Do you want Microsoft to make new studios or buy studios to grow their portfolio of games?

• Yeah I don't mind them buying Studios

Votes: 59 24.2%
  • No I want them to make new studios

Votes: 97 39.8%
  • I'm 50/50 I want them to do both

Votes: 88 36.1%

• Total voters

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Most people are only aware of Microsoft buying something, which is ironic, since we've seen in the past that their games tend to come out everywhere anyway, while sonys becomes locked.

But people often act like this depending on who's buying.

"Microsoft acts like a rich kid and buys everything cus they lack talent."

"I'm so glad Sony bought this dev its so nice they support them financially I love these devs so much now"

This is the difference. Sony good. Microsoft bad.
I guess how they buy studios and what they do with them historically has something to do with it too?

Look at most acquisitions Sony has done: normally there is quite a long courtship where the companies work closer snd closer and then one or two bigger bets given to the second party dev which result in an acquisition of the company is willing and has passed these “fitness” tests.
Sony has historically given a lot of freedom to their Studios and buys studios they feel they can entrust and grow and their software output over the last 25+ years speaks for itself.

Also, they have been adding new teams and grown organically their existing studios which is kind of like buying or founding a new one, but sounds less fancy I guess.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Streaming to phone is literally AAA titles from console you can play with a controller.
Diablo immortal is a shitty mobile game at its core. How can you even compare this shit?
Not comparable.

There are three avenues to play Microsoft games this generation,

You can buy an Xbox, you might soon not even need a next gen one when Cloud gaming comes to Xbox One.

Use PC , either with a specific PC version or with cloud streaming when it comes to PC

Use your mobile, I think iOS will have it this year and Android has.

Nobody needs to miss out, you're covered.

Very comparable, either buy or upgrade your Windows PC or stream it on your Android cellphone and pay for XCloud... yep, I guess that since you can buy a PS4, a PS4 Pro, use PSNow on PC and/or phones, or a PS5 (four ways to get Spider-man) Insomniac is still making multiplatform games then :LOL:.

The gymnastics some people will go to rather than simply saying “look, the exclusives are bad, all gamers we do not care about what device... all that was feel good PR, they are a business and business lie and twist reality too”... not even that... must be spun positively ;).

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
"Microsoft acts like a rich kid and buys everything cus they lack talent."

"I'm so glad Sony bought this dev its so nice they support them financially I love these devs so much now"

Yeah, people really love to romanticise how Sony bought Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Insomniac etc. At the end of the day, they were business transactions.

When Todd Howard says that they’ve always had a special relationship with Microsoft, and that Microsoft persuaded them to port their first ever console game, Morrowind, because MS wanted more people to experience it, that’s just blatantly ignored.

I hope they primarily buy more. Sony should as well. The only issue I have is when these companies pay for timed exclusivity without being involved in the development process, because that’s anti-consumer.

If you don’t own an Xbox you can always play on PC, Android or IOS. Or you can ask Sony to allow Game Pass on PlayStation, which is what Microsoft want. But Game Pass might not be good value.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I guess how they buy studios and what they do with them historically has something to do with it too?

Look at most acquisitions Sony has done: normally there is quite a long courtship where the companies work closer snd closer and then one or two bigger bets given to the second party dev which result in an acquisition of the company is willing and has passed these “fitness” tests.
Sony has historically given a lot of freedom to their Studios and buys studios they feel they can entrust and grow and their software output over the last 25+ years speaks for itself.

Also, they have been adding new teams and grown organically their existing studios which is kind of like buying or founding a new one, but sounds less fancy I guess.

I've read a interview from Molyneux once, on why bullfrog died after the acquisition from EA.

Long story short, they had a tiny building before the acquisition, where they had fun, played games and talked to each other about the games they wanted to make.
After ea acquired them they became huge with big buildings and got a very professional touch.
Problem was, they didn't act like best friends anymore. There were no time to play, and all the ideas seemed to have been drained out,which led to ea eventually shutting them down.

While this story is about bullfrog and ea, I doubt it's much different here with Microsoft, as I think it has something to do with the "American way" of doing this, where Sony, a Japanese company, might have a different opinion.

While weve seen coalition become a Gears studio, or playground games only become a racing studio, could be to prevent what happened to bullfrog. How worse it might sound, you can't kill the creativity if it isn't there to begin with, and then why not do what you're good at?

I don't know much about how Sony acquires other studios, but I think we're seeing the difference of how an American company handles stuff and then the Japanese, because Microsoft seems to be the common way where companies from there tends to do the same.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I've read a interview from Molyneux once, on why bullfrog died after the acquisition from EA.

Long story short, they had a tiny building before the acquisition, where they had fun, played games and talked to each other about the games they wanted to make.
After ea acquired them they became huge with big buildings and got a very professional touch.
Problem was, they didn't act like best friends anymore. There were no time to play, and all the ideas seemed to have been drained out,which led to ea eventually shutting them down.
I really really like the way you put this. I have seen creativity and the spark that made companies be acquired be drained by MBA’s running things scaled up/making things more corporate (more money, more structure)... and then killing the company. EA still
Made money and now has few more IP’s to use at some point, win win, next acquisition and rinse and repeat...

Fredrik

I want Microsoft to acquire Sega next

salt salting GIF
If they help revive Sega Rally and Shinobi, yes please. Otherwise, nope.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Very comparable, either buy or upgrade your Windows PC or stream it on your Android cellphone and pay for XCloud... yep, I guess that since you can buy a PS4, a PS4 Pro, use PSNow on PC and/or phones, or a PS5 (four ways to get Spider-man) Insomniac is still making multiplatform games then :LOL:.

The gymnastics some people will go to rather than simply saying “look, the exclusives are bad, all gamers we do not care about what device... all that was feel good PR, they are a business and business lie and twist reality too”... not even that... must be spun positively ;).

Okay... Sigh...

1. You are still comparing a f2p mobile game with triple a games. You are literally saying Microsofts games are mobile games.

2. You admit sonys games can be played on a mobile phone, but these aren't mobile games for some reason.

3. You say Microsofts games can be played on pc or xcloud via phones, and sonys can be played on pc with psnow and on phones, together with PlayStation, saying Sony has more ways to be played.

Why didn't you mention xbox though? That's also a place to play Xbox games. From what I can see they have equal many places to play at, with the exception that you can own the games on both pc and Xbox, whereas you need to rely on the games being on psnow as they tend to get removed.

Riky

$MSFT

Can I get PSnow on Android?

You missed something quite important though, are Spiderman MM and Demons Souls on PSNow on day one? No they aren't so as of this moment you can't play them on a PC with PSNow. If you want to play the new Gears Hivebusters you can right now without an Xbox.

sinisterpanda

Neo Member
MS should buy new studios before creating their own because creating a successful game studio is so hard and takes a lot of time and xbox needs good exclusive games asap.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Okay... Sigh...

1. You are still comparing a f2p mobile game with triple a games. You are literally saying Microsofts games are mobile games.
Nope, not sure why you are seeing that. I am not stating it.

2. You admit sonys games can be played on a mobile phone, but these aren't mobile games for some reason.

3. You say Microsofts games can be played on pc or xcloud via phones, and sonys can be played on pc with psnow and on phones, together with PlayStation, saying Sony has more ways to be played.

Why didn't you mention xbox though? That's also a place to play Xbox games. From what I can see they have equal many places to play at, with the exception that you can own the games on both pc and Xbox, whereas you need to rely on the games being on psnow as they tend to get removed.

My point was not to praise Sony or to show that their games can be played on multiple platforms as opposed to MS ones, it was a direct response to the argument that Good Guy Phil is not removing games from the competition and still believes in exclusivity being bad and not caring about what devices gamers use (which is untrue).

I did not mention Xbox because I was replying to a post where it was stated that Xbox games offered all those ways to access games as a reason to explain what I just said. So, by the same token (I was taking what was said about Xbox as factual and not disputing that, Xcloud is available, Windows PC do exist and have MS Game Studios games on them, etc...) one could say that Spider-man is multiplatform and Xbox fans have PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, etc... as multiple ways to get Insomniac games... it was to show that I see that argument as technically true, but still absurd.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
How is it? Were talking about first party games in this thread. You can play first party MS games day one on Gamepass, you can't on PSNow, that isn't hair splitting it's a fundamental difference you just want to pretend isn't happening.
No, it is not... games are still not on the other console anymore, you are still caring about which device people are using (must be a device where I control the service and/or OS or it must be my device).

Good guy Phil is trying to speak out of both sides of his mouth with “well, it is technically true from a certain point of view and with enough caveats right...”, not surprised by you just standing by whatever the party line is.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I say keep on buying. I see little benefit to creating new studios when you can grab up and bolster established ones.
fill up love GIF by Target
The problem with this scenario is that talent doesn’t tend to stick around if they don’t like the management structure.

MS would then be left with an empty shell of what was an incredible development team. BioWare a great example of this along with many many others.

The sentiment is right, an established team should hit the ground running with a new project.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
No, it is not... games are still not on the other console anymore, you are still caring about which device people are using (must be a device where I control the service and/or OS or it must be my device).

Good guy Phil is trying to speak out of both sides of his mouth with “well, it is technically true from a certain point of view and with enough caveats right...”, not surprised by you just standing by whatever the party line is.

Since when does Phil control Android?

kuncol02

Banned

Especially when they folded Psygnosis (big publisher with tons of great games) into Playstation, killed it's publishing branch and turned into Wipeout studio and when that games stoped selling killed what was remaining of it?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Especially when they folded Psygnosis (big publisher with tons of great games) into Playstation, killed it's publishing branch and turned into Wipeout studio and when that games stoped selling killed what was remaining of it?
It took a while for that to occur, I seem to remember WipeOut coming out for N64 and Saturn. Still, yes Psygnosis over time got restricted. Not in the PSOne generation though.

Riky

$MSFT
So, you’re complaining that you have to buy a PS5 and cannot get the game day and date on PC/PSNow?

I'm not complaining 😅

I'm showing you the difference, I'll break it down so it's even simpler for you when people are whining about being left out of a game.

Person A wants to play Demons Souls Remake and Gears 5 Hivebusters. They can do that for one of those games without buying a console or even owning one.

It's very simple.

Jokerevo

Banned
Buying studios is a sign of weakness. They should be cultivating new IP and securing exclusives for the XsX. I mean Nintendo and Sony have been doing this repeatedly.

It's like what's happening in the streaming world, if you want to watch X you need Netflix, if you want to watch Y you need Disney plus etc. Without innovation you're giving me no reason to choose an XsX over a PC. The PC has already obsoleted the XsX.

Look at it this way, if Bloodborne 2 came out tommorow would it make you want a Ps5? Or would you be prepared to wait years and years for a PC release? Likewise if halo infinite became an XsX exclusive...

Not to mention the fact that exclusives means devs can focus on one hardware config and optimise ...oh wait...

kyussman

I don't really care tbh.It's obviously quicker and easier to just buy out devs(and indeed whole publishers now with Bethesda)....and that's mostly what they have been doing.
At the end of the day I enjoy gaming and I'll go where the games I want are.....historically that's been PlayStation,going forward it will be PlayStation and Xbox.
It's up to Sony now to make sure there line up is not lacking......competition is good......let's face it,last gen was a bloodbath games wise with Sony dominating with so many great first party games.
For Microsoft it became a case of get serious of gtfo.....and they went with the serious option,lol.....I'm looking forward to all the great stuff coming from both companies in the coming years.....now I just need to get my hands on the actual consoles!

kuncol02

Banned
It took a while for that to occur, I seem to remember WipeOut coming out for N64 and Saturn. Still, yes Psygnosis over time got restricted. Not in the PSOne generation though.
They were still mostly independent then. They were fully integrated when they changed name into "Studio Liverpool". That process started in 1999 and ended in 2000. I once read that later they tried to pitch multiple games to Sony. Can you guess who was in control of European branch of Sony when they said "NO" to all of them?

AeneaGames

What did consumers gain with MS buying Bethesda?
Not more games for the platform for sure. Perhaps more games on GamePass but that's it basically.

Setting up several new studios means more games! It's what I would prefer they do! Or add extra teams to existing studios, that's fine too!
I hope Sony does the same, moar, moar games everywhere, gimme, gimme! 😀

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Xbox should make their own studios and believe in nurturing talent rather than buying it.
Buying studios is a sign of weakness.
Setting up several new studios means more games!
Xbox has made Turn 10, 343i, Coalition, Initiative and now Worlds Edge, the last one acts more like a producer for their RTS IPs then an actual studio. But actually making new studios takes forever.
Many of the new studios bought like Obsidian, InXile, Ninja Theory, Playground Games, Undead Labs and Compulsion Games became bigger under Microsoft, the last three almost doubled.

Krisprolls

Banned
I forgot Windows PC are where ALL non Xbox console gamers are, right... ;).

Can't talk for anyone else, but yes I still use my gaming PC on top of my PS5. PS5 / PC is the ultimate combo, you get most of the best games.

Not because pcmr bullshit but because there are great pc games like strategy games you can't play anywhere else.

So I could care less if MS makes some good game exclusive, I was a pc gamepass subscriber until recently.

Dazraell

They're already having a lot of studios and games that they will release during new generation, so I don't think they need to expand their lineup even further. But if they would aim to have even more studios, I would much prefer setting up brand new offices instead of snatching already estabilished studios.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
What MS did was going all in on content and studios. Now they need to finally make good games, not buying even more studios.

The problem with their strategy is it's a double edged sword. Bethesda cost a lot of money. And daily costs are high too.

If gamepass doesn't take off soon in subscribers number, the losses could accumulate quickly.

MS obviously could bear losses for a very long time, but I doubt their managers would wait for many years before pulling the plug if profits don't come. Look no further than what happened with Mixer.

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned
In an ideal world I'd want XBOX to build new studios from the ground up. But in an effort to bolster GP I can see why studios with content already being developed is the more strategic move.

NahaNago

It should be 50/50. Probably more artsy smaller studios to pad out the gamepass stuff. They have the most studios it seems like now they need to release some games.

FranXico

Nobody should buy studios, but better Microsoft than Sony, so at least millions of pc and smart device owners can play the games too.
The "at least Microsoft publishes on PC" argument no longer holds any water.

Just saying.

Last edited:
What did consumers gain with MS buying Bethesda?
Not more games for the platform for sure. Perhaps more games on GamePass but that's it basically.

Setting up several new studios means more games! It's what I would prefer they do! Or add extra teams to existing studios, that's fine too!
I hope Sony does the same, moar, moar games everywhere, gimme, gimme! 😀

More games for xbox game pass is awesome imo. I would rather have Microsoft buy Ubisoft because I want my damn splinter cell game already and I think Microsoft would be interested in making it.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I want them to make a new studio focussed on bringing back Rare franchises such as Banjo, Conker, Blast Corps and other non shooter, non rpg, non racer Microsoft ip such as Commander Keen.

Top Bottom