• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you get physical or digital mainly?

Used to be physical everything. Somewhere around 2017-2018 I realized I rarely used the games after playing once though. Also, a lot of times you can pick games up for less than $10 after a few years. I've converted around 300 physical games to digital since then, and I buy almost everything digital since.

EDIT: I don't trust Nintendo, if buying one of their games it must be physical

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For the current generation through 2022, it's 55% to 45% for me -

Disc (55%)
- Marvel's Spider Man: Miles Morales (PS5)
- Resident Evil VIII: Village (XSX)
- Necromunda: Hired Gun (XSX)
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)
- Lost Judgment (XSX)
- Far Cry 6 (XSX)
- Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (XSX)
- Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (XSX)
- Gotham Knights (XSX)
- God of War Ragnarok (PS5)
- Evil West (XSX)
- The Callisto Protocol (XSX)

Digital (45%)
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla (XSX)
- Cyberpunk 2077 (XSX)
- Immortals Fenyx Rising (XSX)
- Watch Dogs Legion (XSX)
- Outriders (XSX)
- The Ascent (XSX)
- Kena: Bridge of Spirits (PS5)
- Dying Light 2: Stay Human (XSX)
- Horizon II: Forbidden West (PS5)
- Steel Rising (XSX)

Game Pass (day one)
- Halo Infinite (XSX)
- A Plague Tale Requiem (XSX)

MrKainobi

Neo Member
100% digital. Switched to digital like most people on PC when Steam made physical games pointless, as they would be tied to your steam account, while still buying physical PS3 games. Bought my last 5 physical games when getting my PS4 Pro as I hadn’t caught up on PSN development. Realizing it‘s the same as on PC with sales all the time I completely switched and never looked back. To be fair, games lasted longer than music and movies - I don’t have single device (in use) with a disc drive these days.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Physical, because I'm a collector.

But it seems like next gen will go fully digital. Which I'm sort of OK with as being a collector comes space issues.

Also, the majority of the time digital is more expensive.

I had to get the PS5 Digital (you can't choose when they are this hard to find), so I'm 100% digital now.

I have regrets only on principle, in fact I really like it, but there is a bit of regret!

angrod14

This gen I embraced the dark side and went all digital. Discs don't make much sense to me anymore, as they're hardly a representation of the final product without patches and DLCs, which are inherently digital. I also don't like all the space they take when they start to add up. I wasn't bothered by that before but recently moving made realize how much unnecessary shit I have.

Only discs I have left are unfinished PS4 games. As soon as I'm done with them they'll go on sale.

I've been 90+% digital since the beginning of the Xbox One/PS3 gen. Physical games take up too much space, I have no interest in selling games, and the convenience of digital games to me outweigh the price difference. (Especially when you started having to install physical games anyway)

Gambit2483

Physical just has too many benefits, especially when you have a situation like Jump Force where a game is just no longer available to purchase digitally anymore. A digital only machine is entirely beholden to licenses and the will of the online store Gods. No thanks.

nush

All digital, I don't buy day one and wait for the sales anyway so I don't care about trading in. Discs are just a digital key anyway, and extra unnecessary step.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Physical just has too many benefits, especially when you have a situation like Jump Force where a game is just no longer available to purchase digitally anymore. A digital only machine is entirely beholden to licenses and the will of the online store Gods. No thanks.
who the fuck wants to purchase jump force

If I like something I will get a collector's edition. Otherwise digital. There is nothing to collect in a regular game case anymore.

How could I dare climb up the stairs to get a game, go behind the tv, and plop a disc in, and then be unable to switch between games instantly? Especially after 100s of squats?

*note** number of squats may be exaggerated.

Last edited:

NickFire

For myself it’s digital only unless it’s an older game I can get dirt cheap on physical. Only other exception would be gifts. Should probably be ashamed to say it, but changing discs is a pain in the ass. These new consoles load so fast too. Would be a waste of that ability.

Gambit2483

Physical on PS5 and Switch, digital on Series X/S.
MS, for better or worse, basically makes you feel like a tool for actually buying physical games on Series X/S.

This is a double edge sword though since basically they will always be dead last when it comes to physical software sales...something we see having even more of an impact on the Japanese market where they basically have to pay Publishers to put Japanese games on their system.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Digital, I’m too lazy to get up and switch discs when I want to play a different game. Fuck that shit

Physical. Much better prices and even though I rarely if ever do it, I can resell, trade or borrow the games. When digital is a good deal, I’ll buy digital as well. I’m one of the few people who truly think both can coexist though. Sure digital is more convenient, but imo physical is just more cost efficient and gives more options to the consumer.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Digital 100% for probably 6 years.

- Home sharing with a friend = 50% off games
- Convenient
- Have an external HDD to store games
- You got to install all games now anyway, whereas 360 had the benefit of playing right off the disc. You save no time now as disc or digital you got to install either way
- Digital e-store sales are good and unlimited qty. I dont have to wait for sales and hope the store has the disc in stock
- Modern systems seem committed to BC, which is good for system to system gaming. In the future lets say they release digital systems (or your a PS5 gamer who wants to buy the Digital to save $100), youre screwed if you are a disc buyer unless you want to hold on to your legacy system

Paulxo87

I had a rule that If I paid 70 dollars for a ps5 game that I would own the physical copy. However, I recently broke this rule with the last of us part 1 and i'm likely to do it again with GOW:R.. I'm undecided tho

zokie

Physical in the past for PS3/PSP/ Wii/WiiU / DS/3DS/ , but i do have little physical copies of PS4/Switch games

Digital nowadays for personal reasons , i only buy games on sale 90% of the time

- long story short it helps me save $$$ on shipping
- i do not like to deal with others and sell my games
- would like to keep games forever if possible
- bad discord experiences on digital/physical talk and other party insulted my family the stu*** word and i nearly lost my cool

maybe i will get physical for Legend of Zelda : Tears of Kingdom Collectors Edition if i got the luck to secure

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
discs were for PS2 and PS3

its 2022

9WnMYpA.jpg

On PC 100% digital, on Nintendo's consoles it's always been 100% physical since their games retain value and rarely don't work without a day one patch. In the Xbox 360 days my game purchases were 100% physical but I switched to digital on the Xbone since the games are just day one patch download keys now anyways.

Aenima

Physical for games i want to own and day 1 purchases, digital for games on promos that i liked to play but dont care that much about.

(mostly) Physical. I have steelbook cases for Like A Dragon, Sekiro, and SMTV, as well as the physical artbooks that came with Demon's Souls PS3 and Astral Chain; none of which I would have received had I gone the digital route.
For the art and collection value, I don't think I'll ever fully transition to digital only when it comes to games I feel strongly towards.

DaGwaphics

Cried and made a fuss about the always online X1 plans along with a lot of other green rats, then moved entirely to digital once the gen actually started. LOL

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t like physical as much as I use to. There’s no midnight launch to go to. There’s an earlier unlock digitally(sometimes). There’s no special slot for a memory card. There’s no manual. There’s nothing but an alternate cover and the main cover is always ESRB and copyright/technical spec stuff that just makes the game look ugly. It’s a cluttered box with a disc and some single paper insert inside.

I use to love physical copies and I’ve kept the meaningful ones on PS1 and so forth. I’ve got no place to put PS5 game cases and it’s just plastic for some of the new games.

I started getting games digitally on Direct2Drive, even though I could go to EB Games and buy physical PC games. Consoles I started small with XBL, VC, and PSN. It might have been before DmC, but I remember canceling my physical preorder. That might have been when it really started to take over. Buying and renting movies on PS3. Now a days I don’t really think about it. Now a days it’s 800-1000+ games across 3 platforms. That’s just PS too. I do buy some physical PS5 and Switch games. My main next gen library is digital. God of War, Callisto Protocol, and etc are all digital deluxe versions. When manuals went away, some of the charm of owning a physical copy of a AAA game went away for me. CE’s are fun, but they usually come a couple days or a week later.

Of course digital can suck too. People already playing some hot new release while you sit behind a timer. They distribute these games weeks ahead of time and for the most part you aren’t invited to the club of early adopters. So what, right? It always happens. It’s always a big AAA game getting leaked for whatever reason. It’s just annoying and none of these AAA games will be worth as much as retro in the years to come. Maybe a couple limited copies of CE’s or something.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I prefer physical but pjysical is being made to be a pain in the ass intentionally.

If you buy CODMW2 you only get 80mb (installer) on the disc. The rest is 100GB download.

Also you need the game disc in to play, which is BS, so if you own two PS5 3 floors apart and its in the other one forget it even though the whole game is installed.

Day 1 patches are also probably intentional to hamper ownership.

So digital is much more convienant

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Physical when I can. I like to resell my games when finished.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Personally I prefer to store my library in a

xGcfuwv9vVHy5w9oHjoihT.jpg

instead of a

db0f0bcfbe6dd6a171a9216453f955ce.jpg

I have over 1K digital games, not feasible to have so many on physicals especially the dust cleaning. This and many other reasons

Top Bottom