• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you get physical or digital mainly?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Still physical for 99% of my purchases.

Haven't got the new GoW: R but its £62 on disc for example and would have got it two days early versus £70 digital and like am I fuck going to be up at midnight when it unlocks.

I know £8 isn't life changing, but its still £8 saved.

EDIT: All of MS first party stuff though, Game Pass innit.

Last edited:

Impotaku

If there’s a physical copy I get that every time, if it’s only digital and I really wanna play I’ll get that but I’ll keep an eye out with the usual places in case it gets a limited run type physical release then pick it up physically.

AJUMP23

I buy mostly Digital. I wanted to get the steal case Atari 50 version, but it is only on switch. I will get the digital Xbox version.

I like the convenience of Digital, I hate the feeling of not really owning anything.

SyberWolf

PC digital and try to buy as much discounted as possible.
Console digital and physical games here and there if i see a discount.
i already have enough clutter so i try to keep phyisical stuff to a minimum.
having everything in an online library is convenient, and the games i dont want to keep i buy physical on console to potentially sell again.

GreatnessRD

If I ever owned a console again, I would only buy physical. Currently use digital because of PC obviously, but yeah, for console would never ever buy digital again. lol

Drizzlehell

Banned
I do have some physical games for PS3 because most of them are not available digitally but on PC and next-gen I don't own a single physical copy. Digital is just so much more convenient for me that I see no reason whatsoever to buy boxed games.

Rubik8

Wherever I find the best price. On new releases I want day one, usually digital. Switch first party is 100% physical.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

gamer82

mostly physical just incase i want to get some cash back but i have been getting some digital stuff on sale and just bought the entropy center yesterday not played yet. i will need to get res 4 digital as i have the others on digital i started that way i may as well finish lol nothing to do with ocd :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
I mainly got physical games up until 2021 because I liked collecting the cases but i've given in to how convenient just getting everything digitally is. I hate having to change discs all the time, especially now that my PS5 is set up to face the wall which would mean I would have to turn it around every time I want to change discs. I like having everything on the fly.
I hate digital so physical

Housh

I get single player games physical and major multiplayer games like COD digital so I'm not always swapping discs.

Caffeine

switch: mostly digital occasionally on amazon if the physical goes on a good sale ill buy it. but i throw away my physical boxes all my physical switch games are in a game card case I only have 13.
steam: been digital for like 15 years
xbox series s its digital only.

Been buying digital for years, as I can let my son (and now stepson as well) download it to his system, so I only have to buy it once.

That's the main reason for buying a PS5 Digital myself. No need for discs whatsoever.

Sojiro

Majority is physical, I usually only go digital with indie games. I mostly play on Switch though, where the vast majority of the games are actually on the card.

Rambone

Physical on Switch. Digital everything else because I'm too damn lazy to be bothered with swapping discs all the time and they take up way too much space.

MiguelItUp

Console - I always go for physical, unless digital is significantly cheaper. But in most cases where physical and digital are the same price, then I'll go physical as I feel like I'm getting "more" with it.
PC - Digital because no choice, really, lmao.

Supple

Banned
Mostly digital, but I do buy physical collector's editions for game series I really really like.

Marvel14

Banned
I read this as "Do you get physical or digital manly?"...

Physical manly I get. Most men get physical manly. Digital manly I am not so sure of. Is that nerding out over manly digital things like cell phone skins of beer, guns or fast cars?

KiteGr

I don't know... You tell me.
OKW29Ys.jpg

EQmTDhw.jpg

In all seriousness, they make it harder and harder to stay physical. I don't feel like owning a product if I just have a license on some account.

If I where to give up and go digital, I'll go full pc. There the games are cheaper, moddable, and your older ones are not in danger of disappearing when the platform changes a generation.

Quezacolt

Majority is physical, I usually only go digital with indie games. I mostly play on Switch though, where the vast majority of the games are actually on the card.
Vast majority of games are also on disc in the other platforms, at least the sony ones. Dont be fooled by the misinformation about how discs are only keys and dont have the full game.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Digital only these days. I want to prune my physical collection to games i care about

Steam digital obviously...
Everything else physical.

I enjoy self trading in Pokemon across my multiple switches. Something that's a huge pita if I went digital.

DragonNCM

Digital only from 2013, I don't have fucking space anymore to stack up games & movies.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I only ready have a Switch and Series S, but I have gone almost full digital. I used to get more physical when I played more, so that I can later trade my games with other GAFers. I always thought that was a good thing, since it would allow us all to get the experience of playing different games.

NeonDelta

mainly digital, ill buy physical if its something i know ill play once and then wont touch again or if its in a sale and i know i'll get decent trade in or if its something that will come to PS Plus at some point (like ratchet and clank)

Sojiro

Vast majority of games are also on disc in the other platforms, at least the sony ones. Dont be fooled by the misinformation about how discs are only keys and dont have the full game.
Honestly I did pretty much assume that is how it is based on what I have heard (since the last Sony console I have is the PS2) so good on you for educating me on that lol. Even on switch you do see that practice happen a little bit, but thought it was way worse with the other two consoles.

Puscifer

It's a mixture, whichever gives me the best deal is what I'm looking for. Day 1? Largely physical, 6 months to a year from now? Up in the air.

I game on my PS5 and it's always physical.

There's so much more flexibility with a disc, lend it to my brother or friends, resell it and such.

Playstation store prices are also extortionate. I payed £60 for GOWR disc from Amazon compared to the extra £10 on the Playstation store.

Quezacolt

Honestly I did pretty much assume that is how it is based on what I have heard (since the last Sony console I have is the PS2) so good on you for educating me on that lol. Even on switch you do see that practice happen a little bit, but thought it was way worse with the other two consoles.
Only game nowadays that you can count not coming on the disc, at least for ps4/ps5 is call of duty. I think the last one that brought the campaign on disc was modern warfare remastered.
Aside from that, most every other game on the market can be played from start to finish after you install from disc, no day 1 update required either.

Ofc, online only games dont really matter if they come on disc or not, since you can't play those games after the servers go down.

Quezacolt

I game on my PS5 and it's always physical.

There's so much more flexibility with a disc, lend it to my brother or friends, resell it and such.

Playstation store prices are also extortionate. I payed £60 for GOWR disc from Amazon compared to the extra £10 on the Playstation store.
To not mention, some games can be played best with the 1.0 version from the disc, like the last guardian. With that you can play at 4k/60 on the ps5, wich you cant do with the digital version.

Top Bottom