• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you get physical or digital mainly?

Rhazkul

None of my gaming platforms have a DVD drive. Laptop? Nada. PC? Nope. PS5? Nah.

Physical is dead. And in the rare case someone buys a DvD for a game...welp...there's only 40mb on the disk, containing the installer. Everything else needs to be downloaded anyway.

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I used to get physical for PS3 and Xbox 360 and had a huge collection. Sold most of them. Have gone digital for the past 10 years now.

ahtlas7

I like to get Physical with Switch & PS5 so I can share the games around. PC prefers digital but steam makes sharing easy.

Rayderism

I haven't bought a "new" physical game since PS3. I've bought lots of used physical games, but only for older consoles that didn't have digital as an option (PS1/2 and older), or didn't have its entire library available digitally, like PS3.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Digital. I mostly stopped buying physical games way back in the first year of the PS4 release. I now only buy physical when it's some kind of collector's edition, or for Switch games, so I can rip the ROM's using my old v1 Switch and play them at better framerates and IQ on my Deck.

F31 Leopard

Physical all the way unless its available digital only. Here's some of my Switch collection. All 3 drawers are full. I have more in an ottoman. My PS4 physical is pretty hefty as well.
WRzJA8C.gif

supernova8

Banned
Physical for console because I can (and will) re-sell games because I have no interest in "collecting" stuff. I just don't want to shell out all the money every single time. Pretty simple idea really.

For PC, there's of course not really a physical market anymore so we're kinda forced to go digital. Luckily Steam sales have games at some very attractive prices. Once you're down to like $20, you're already into "meh why not" territory. $50-$70, though, no fucking way unless I can get it physical.

Also there are certain Switch games that never go on sale (like BOTW) so you can buy it, play it until you complete it, and then sell it not too far off what you paid for it. In other words, not going physical for first party Nintendo titles may be convenient for space-saving reasons but is throwing money down the drain because you can effectively "rent" it.

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned
Usually physical, as they are superior vs digital.

+Physical games are almost always cheaper, on launch week deals most PS5 games are 50-60€ physical, 60-80€ digital.
+Physical games are often sold within 1-4 weeks from launch for 20-35€ so it is easy way to save money, to buy used
+Physical used games are easy to sell, if they are "play&forget" games. Like buy it for 40€, sell it for 35-40€ = almost free
-Have to change discs, but not a big deal

-Digital games have zero monetary value after you get them.
+they are easy to get, just buy&download
+no need to change discs

for PS5 most games I get physical and try to sell those that I dont play anymore, usually get them used or from sales. Digital I will get, if it is less than 15-20€ and I really want it, but havent bought anything in last 2 years digital.
for series x i dont buy games, got gamepass ultimate with the cheap gold trick for 94€ for 3 years, so I just play what is on GPU.
for switch there havent been any really interesting games in last 3-4 years, so no need to buy anything. But if I get something, it is physical as switch games keep their value better

ps+ extra and GPU basically made me buy 50-80% less games than before, there is literally hundreds of games on both in the library, maybe even +1000 in ps+ as I have had it since 2013. And time is limited, so impulse buying "cheap games" have ended.

Digital is more convenient, physical is more smart from financial stand point

Tams

Gold Member
For Switch physical if I can. Yeah, yeah, it is less convenient and diminishes quite a bit of the whole portability aspect, but I just like physical games.

On PC I go digital. Mostly because there's no choice anymore, but the insanely low prices help.

Quezacolt

Physical is dead. And in the rare case someone buys a DvD for a game...welp...there's only 40mb on the disk, containing the installer. Everything else needs to be downloaded anyway.
That's BS, and you would know that if you used physical media. Not every game is call of duty. 99% of games bring the whole thing on the disc.

Top Bottom