• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney+ Passes 100 Million Paid Subscribers

ManaByte

Gold Member

Disney+ has passed 100 million paid subscribers after 16 months, Disney CEO Bob Chapek announced during the company's annual shareholder meeting.

"The enormous success of Disney+ — which has now surpassed 100 million subscribers — has inspired us to be even more ambitious, and to significantly increase our investment in the development of high-quality content," Chapek said. "In fact, we set a target of 100+ new titles per year, and this includes Disney Animation, Disney Live Action, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic. Our direct-to-consumer business is the Company’s top priority, and our robust pipeline of content will continue to fuel its growth."

They originally hoped to hit 60M by 2024.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty impressive when they haven't been around that long. Shows like Mandalorian and WandaVision seem to have a huge pull.

I wish I was more in to that sort of stuff as it does seem like a good service.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Hey your back!
Nice to see you around again.
I’m probably in the minority of not being a subscriber
Thanks! :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Same here. I have heard people chatting about WandaVision for weeks now. I do feel left out, but I'm not sure if I would get it.

I have a very specific taste when it comes to shows, I suppose.

DESTROYA

I have no FOMO but I did try watching the first episode of WandaVision and could not get into it and gave up sfter a few minutes.
It is what it is.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
got it in january. planned to only use it for a month, then it became two and now three months so far lol I got caught up in all the Marvel content and now they're releasing the falcon and the winter soldier this month lol dam I'm almost done with mandalorian and just have the finale of wandavision left

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
I have no FOMO but I did try watching the first episode of WandaVision and could not get into it and gave up sfter a few minutes.
It is what it is.
It’s such a great idea and concept that turns into typical marvel dribble, you’re only missing everything till the season finale. Then you lose interest lol

Allforce

What do you suppose the actual viewership is? They hand out free subs to AT&T and Verizon users, and then all the people who share subs as well. Gotta be at least another 30% I'd reckon.

Kagey K

Banned
Star doing some work. It used to me my least used service, but has quickly shot up to my most used.

The streaming quality on it is just so much better than Prime or Netflix, and they offer a bunch of stuff not available anywhere else here, on top of having the best picture for stuff that is in other services.

Great service, fantastic catalog.
Now with Star with more average mature movies.... It also has "Bringing out the dead", one of the underrated Scorsese's masterpieces.

Alcibiades

I think they actually do deserve props for the focus on "quality over quantity", or at least keeping things focused at all. I've canceled all subscriptions at this point (other than I doing a month of free Paramount+ to see Star Trek Discovery Season 3).

I don't like Disney or their tactics - a truly evil company. BUT, I'm hoping they bring Netflix down a peg. Somebody needs to challenge their dominance.

Dacon

Banned
I think they actually do deserve props for the focus on "quality over quantity", or at least keeping things focused at all

Eh? They announced like a dozen Marvel and Star Wars shows last year. WandaVision and most of the Mandalorian were just kind of ok for the most part too.

mxbison

Had a 1-year sub that is running out and I'm not gonna renew.

Really not much good stuff if you don't care about Star Wars and Marvel that much....

I prefer Netflix.

Wizz-Art

Huge number but i still don't know anyone in real life who subscribes to it which is strange, almost everyone I know have Netflix and only I have Amazon Prime.

I mean the entire world has been forced to stay home for a solid year and not do anything but watch streaming. No shit they are going to sell a bunch of streaming during that. When the government is killing your competition for you, wow who could have seen that coming?

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
It's been worth it for The Simpsons alone. Haven't watched the early stuff in a very long time and having a great laugh at the classics.

I am glad I did the 3 year plan. I wouldn't pay full price now. Although I doubt I will ever unsubscribe as my daughter will be turning 2 soon and will want to watch all the Disney shows.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Will be interesting to see the post price-hike numbers.

These successful services print money w/ little risk. And Disney will still charge on top of that for their prestige content if you want it day-one (or not have it on there at all, and still rake in theater money assuming we don't all die.)

At $80 a year that's 8 billion dollars.. that's more revenue than Disney has ever made at the Box Office in a year. People forget that Box Office revenue goes less than 50% to the studios.

Insane... granted this also is potentially taking away money from TV viewership, so it shouldn't just be considered a replacement for the box office.. but.. the box office hasn't actually died yet.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

Good service for kids, but as an adult I don't see much content on there for me to justify paying for another streaming service.

Moving forward, I can see Disney+ becoming the de facto "TV" for kids in a household in the near future.

Batiman

Banned
It's been worth it for The Simpsons alone. Haven't watched the early stuff in a very long time and having a great laugh at the classics.
Ya recently watched them again. Can honestly say the first 7 seasons are some of the best TV of all time. Some scenes had me in tears. Sad they can’t continue with that quality. I feel like they started to chase the family guy type humour later on and it just wasn’t right

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I subscribe, but I am not surprised by the numbers, as Disney has the name, and has built or bought some of the most popular content in the past decade.

Darko

I was gonna cancel my sub but they just added hundreds of new shows and movies via the new update in canada, compatible to Netflix now in my opinion

sol_bad

I'm going through all of South Park on Australian Amazon Prime at the moment, I think I'll make my way through Simpsons afterwards. I've honestly never seen anything after season 8 and I'm curious to see how the show progresses from then on.

JayK47

I paid for a year and was not planning to renew. I was hoping for more old disney cartoons, but they have only a handful. And it is not easy to watch them back to back. They are 6 minutes a piece and you have to select each one. Not easy to binge watch them. I am not into any of the new Marvel movies. Maybe I check out Wanda Vision, but I doubt I will like it as much as Mandalorian. Not much more to look forward to in my opinion.

I’ve had a great time with the service. Watched all of Clone Wars. Currently getting through Rebels. Loved WandaVision. I’m looking forward to all the Marvel and Star Wars shows they have coming.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
good for them!

not really for me though. so far i've only signed up to watch the mandalorian episodes when it aired. watched some pixar movies but that's it. can't stand Marvel bullshit. not much else convinces me to keep paying. i'll be back whenever there's new Star Wars stuff or a new animated movie or I get an itch to watch old classics.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:
Top Bottom