• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox plans to exit gaming business if "off-console" Game Pass subscribers don't increase enough by 2027

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bro....lol

Do you guys not understand that their about to be in second place in revenue, just behind Tencent and above Sony next quarter? Microsoft and ABK together is basically all the financing they'll ever need. Xbox - even the console isn't going anywhere. Not 5o mention you guys are taking Phil's words out of context......again. Good Lord't!

His words aren't out of context at all. He meant what he said.

Crayon

He's 100% full of it. But I've noticed that there are times when Phil is telling us the truth, but the Xbox faithful think it's 20th-degree chess. We all saw it on the Kind Funny interview.

I actually did find the interview believable. Or at least parts of it. To me, he looked so exhausted/lacking sleep and I think that was a major cause of his off-script comments. Usually though, I don't think his words should be given the slightest weight.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
His words aren't out of context at all. He meant what he said.
No. You heard what you wanted to hear. Read the quote again. He's speaking in general/hypothetical. They aren't basing the entire Xbox platform on JUST console sales. Especially when Xbox isn't just consoles.

It's funny how y'all pick and choose what to believe Phil says. Phil says, "gamepass is sustainable."

GaF: "You can't believe a thing Phil says!"

"If Xbox can't sell enough consoles by 2027 their going out of business!"

GaF: "I believe Phil. Why would he lie?"

Like, wut? Make it make sense broski.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Bro....lol

Do you guys not understand that their about to be in second place in revenue, just behind Tencent and above Sony next quarter? Microsoft and ABK together is basically all the financing they'll ever need. Xbox - even the console isn't going anywhere. Not 5o mention you guys are taking Phil's words out of context......again. Good Lord't!
Doesn’t that just mean they’ll be paying a lot more?

Gavon West

Doesn’t that just mean they’ll be paying a lot more?

It means they'll be the second biggest publisher out of the big three (4). Even above Nintendo and Sony. Second behind Tencent.

It means the Gaming pillar of Microsoft is completely self sufficient - without the need to sell as many consoles as Sony or Nintendo. Like, you already know it's MORE than possible. Tencent is #1 and they don't even offer a console.

bitbydeath

It means they'll be the second biggest publisher out of the big three (4). Even above Nintendo and Sony. Second behind Tencent.

It means the Gaming pillar of Microsoft is completely self sufficient - without the need to sell as many consoles as Sony or Nintendo. Like, you already know it's MORE than possible. Tencent is #1 and they don't even offer a console.
Yeah, second biggest because they have to pay a lot more.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

First corden did corden and ran the wrong numbers for both sony(ran with lower numbers) andMS+acti (the opposite)
Second sony is overtaking Tencent, so it is becoming n.1
Third the methodology that corden reported was just adding Acti and MS revenue which is never how things works.
So not overtaking sony and sony gaining 1st position and most likely to either overtake Tencent or keep the status quo.
All of this can be followed on the responses in Cordn's tweets when users pointed his wrong numbers and he admitted that he just publish the report without ever checking if it were true.
The report was probably made by someone that doesn't' really have a solid grasp on reality.
here is a link explaining part of the problems but there's a ton more.
And rebutted by an official analyst here.

Last edited:

Gavon West

First corden did corden and ran the wrong numbers for both sony(ran with lower numbers) andMS+acti (the opposite)
Second sony is overtaking Tencent, so it is becoming n.1
Third the methodology that corden reported was just adding Acti and MS revenue which is never how things works.
So not overtaking sony and sony gaining 1st position and most likely to either overtake Tencent or keep the status quo.
All of this can be followed on the responses in Cordn's tweets when users pointed his wrong numbers and he admitted that he just publish the report without ever checking if it were true.
The report was probably made by someone that doesn't' really have a solid grasp on reality.
here is a link explaining part of the problems but there's a ton more.
And rebutted by an official analyst here.
Sony over taking Tencent as #1??

DryvBy

No. You heard what you wanted to hear. Read the quote again. He's speaking in general/hypothetical. They aren't basing the entire Xbox platform on JUST console sales. Especially when Xbox isn't just consoles.

It's funny how y'all pick and choose what to believe Phil says. Phil says, "gamepass is sustainable."

Well sometimes you have to believe what he says when it makes sense. They're 50%+ under the crappy Xbox One. Why would the continue the console hardware business if this continues? Phil weasled ABK which is all he wanted. There's no way they continue this way.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member

It’s not “why would he tell a lie,” it’s “why would he tell that lie?”

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Sony over taking Tencent as #1??
According to latest numbers apparently they are.Looking at their latest fiscal record for H1:
Sony: $13.75B (only SIE)
Tencent $13.16B
MS + ABK: $11.69B (at best since theres no way to know the overlap in revenue yet, real number is lower)
image.png

So unless somehow ABK made over 5 times their prvious average quarters there's no way to overtake either tencent nor sony...Something that a real journalist should've checked.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
According to latest numbers apparently they are.Looking at their latest fiscal record for H1:
Tencent $13.16B
MS + ABK: $11.69B (at best since theres no way to know the overlap in revenue yet, real number is lower)
image.png

So unless somehow ABK made over 5 times their prvious average quarters there's no way to overtake either tencent nor sony...Something that a real journalist should've checked.

Thanks for the real numbers.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

It's simple.

Most of the time Phil Spencer is going to put Xbox in a positive light when he's speaking publically.

That's not the case when he's speaking to his employees behind closed doors. So it's easy to read between the lines when he's bullshitting compared to when he's telling the truth.

Xbox guys know Phil Spencer has been bullshitting his fans and people through the media but he's rarely called out. They just accept it and move on.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Tencent $13.16B
image.png

Fran Healy He Left GIF by Travis

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Xbox fans are saying console sales don't matter or they're just not that important to Microsoft and it's all about Game Pass.

So, if Game Pass is barely growing, console sales are performing worse than Xbox One, and Software sales are declining then how are we going to determine if Xbox is successful or not?

sinnergy

Xbox fans are saying console sales don't matter or they're just not that important to Microsoft and it's all about Game Pass.

So, if Game Pass is barely growing, console sales are performing worse than Xbox One, and Software sales are declining then how are we going to determine if Xbox is successful or not?
By how many , publishers and studios they buy 🤣 easy.

Vroadstar

Tencent $13.16B
image.png

Amazon Studios GIF by Amazon Prime Video

I just don't see Microsoft exit the console hardware market anytime soon. With no Xbox hardware available I just can't see Xbox third party and gamepass succeeding as much as they want it to.
Personally I'd love my next console be a PS6 with all of Microsoft Xbox third party games being delivered but I just don't see it happening.

If they went third party and dropped gamepass then they'd still be hugely successful. They've got a ton of studios, three publishing arms and a lot of valuable IP.

They'd also make a lot of money on PlayStation and Nintendo.

The thing that'll stop them is pride.

Forth

Personally I honestly believe they're going to go third party within the next two years definitely now.
They will make far more money doing so.

kaizenkko

I mean already they're more of an ecosystem holder than anything nowadays. Hardware is just a part of their offering, not a central requirement like with Nintendo or Sony.

I don't really care what they do with their hardware moving forward. Just keep the Game pass coming and I'm happy.
You're right in parts, but what you forgot is how important is Xbox in MS's strategy. The console is the principal door for their ecossistem, they need Xbox to do well in order to increase gamepass subscribers.

MS's bets are an up in subscribers post Activision integration, but Honestly, with PS having an installed base of 50~60 millions and with COD still releasing on Playstation, what they will do?

elmos-acc

This is their playbook now.

I saw this when it was posted and I was like "Fair enough, CoD is still going strong".

But now I realized that all of the accolades have something to do with "per player". Meaning that only the hardcore fans bought the game, since the wider casual audience plays less hours and is not in a hurry to play in launch. I don't know how to else explain it.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Tencent $13.16B
image.png

There hopes n wishes, then there's reality like this.

Top Bottom