• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Director of God of War wants to work on a Castlevania game next

hinch7

This I would like to see. Konami haven't done anything worthy with the IP in such a long time. Also really liked LoS (first game)

And this plus SSM being one of my favorite devs, this would an amazing combo.

CamHostage

I love how just straight up stupid things have become where people will be like "Nah" and let the series rot even longer than to have something made that could be great or could not be great but they can make that decision themselves whether to buy it or not.

This is an internet message forum. It's safe to assume none of us are making a Castlevania. None of us have the power to greenlight or shitcan such a project. Nothing that we say here will bring the game into existence or deny it from ever being made. (And if you are a Castlevania brand manager here trolling GAF, get back to work!) Don't care so much. This thread will have long been forgotten if/when a great Castlevania game gets made by the GoW:R guy or any other game designer.

...Also, the number of series which are left to rot in gaming is so numerous as to be almost impossible to count. I could name a thousand games that I would want to see brought back; I could name probably two dozen games with a whip-wielder that I would like to see brought back. A new Bayou Billy could be great. A new Rygar could be great. A new Snake Pit could be great. Anything could be great if it had a great idea and great execution to it.

If the only reason people want a new game in a franchise is because there isn't a new game with that franchise name for them to buy right this second, what's the difference between it being left to rot and it being dusted off for just its franchise name? I don't want Castlevania for its name value, I want it for its play value. IMO, there's not much reason to make Castlevania that's not Castlevania. If it happened the right way, the great, but if not, that's life. It's ok for the past to have happened and for time to march on without some of our favorite things continuing on forever. They're still back there, to be enjoyed for the good that they are.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

Oh no, another franchise destroyed by the woke.
Hardly.

I can't stand woke stuff but this is one of those rare Sony franchises that is devoid of that.

There is none of that feminist power fantasy and shitting on male characters that you'd expect in such cases.

The top 5 strongest characters in the story are all Male and Kratos get plenty of respect, awesome moments and reverence from the whole game.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Only if they make the Dracula Castle War of 1999 featuring Julius Belmont without fucking it all up.

Otherwise stay away.

CosmicComet

I will be absolutely fair, I completely forgot that those titles existed. However - even with now remembering their existence, they are still barely a drop in the bucket compared to the great titles made by Platinum.
You forgot the failure of Scalebound too. And they were fired from the development of that Granblue Fantasy rpg too.

Platinum is massively hit or miss whereas SSM hasn't made a single bomb since the PS2 days.

I'll take the devil may cry team over platinum anyday if you prefer a more apples to apples comparison too. DMC5 shits on any Platinum game.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Don't call me buddy, guy.
south-park-buddy.gif

Lunarorbit

This is an internet message forum. It's safe to assume none of us are making a Castlevania. None of us have the power to greenlight or shitcan such a project. Nothing that we say here will bring the game into existence or deny it from ever being made. (And if you are a Castlevania brand manager here trolling GAF, get back to work!) Don't care so much. This thread will have long been forgotten if/when a great Castlevania game gets made by the GoW:R guy or any other game designer.

...Also, the number of series which are left to rot in gaming is so numerous as to be almost impossible to count. I could name a thousand games that I would want to see brought back; I could name probably two dozen games with a whip-wielder that I would like to see brought back. A new Bayou Billy could be great. A new Rygar could be great. A new Snake Pit could be great. Anything could be great if it had a great idea and great execution to it.

If the only reason people want a new game in a franchise is because there isn't a new game with that franchise name for them to buy right this second, what's the difference between it being left to rot and it being dusted off for just its franchise name? I don't want Castlevania for its name value, I want it for its play value. IMO, there's not much reason to make Castlevania that's not Castlevania. It's ok for the past to have happened and for time to march on without some of our favorite things continuing on forever. They're still back there, to be enjoyed for the good that they are.
Fucking bayou Billy. God damn Billy. I think that was one of the first games I spent my own money on. It was so frustratingly hard as a kid. I felt a special connection when the video game nerd hated it was much as me.

But a revamp of it with a driving and fighting sections would be awesome.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Lot of hoes mad in this thread.

Better to give it to this studio and make a banger game , then let Konami let the license be used by team ninja or platinum on another B grade dumpster fire .

CamHostage

Platinum is massively hit or miss whereas SSM hasn't made a single bomb since the PS2 days.

To be fair though, SSM hasn't made a single game that isn't a God of War since the PS2 days. In fact, they have only ever made one game that isn't a God of War in its existence (although that game was Kinetica, and it too was a banger... but, it probably would chart as a sales bomb.)

PlatinumGames is a work-for-hire studio; Sony Santa Monica is a 1st Party Studio working for the platform manufacturer. When your company can survive on making seven games in 20 years, it's a lot easier to sum up your reputation, but when you're a contract development studio working for unvested publishers or producing independently, you've got to do what it takes to eat. So you make a Transformers game where there it barely makes any sense to for the robots to transform, and you ship a GAAS for a major publisher even though it is bound to fail because it's too far along to pull back without devastating financial repercussions. SSM canceled all of its games which could have been bombs, and they saved themselves from the fallout by making another God of War.

(That said, I don't personally see PlatinumGames being the right choice for reviving Castlevania either.)

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Hell yea. Give it that Sony quality.

To me this is a done deal, aint no way Konami passes this up if Sony comes with a good offer lol

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
...Because the character uses a whip?

I get how some people can close their eyes and hear the sound or squint to see the gothic architecture and catch a fuzzy idea of Castlevania in there sort of, kind of, but personally, this isn't my dream Castlevania any more than it is my dream Catwoman game.
What I mean is that there is a possibility of a delivery like this, with the collaboration of From software and Konami

That's a game that would get me to consider a PS5... assuming it isn't on PC
All PS5 games are coming to PC sooner or later. Forget about exclusivity like it was back in the old days, that's fading away. Too much $$$ in PC market and gaming is now a far bigger mainstream appeal.

Gojiira

No. Ragnarok was mediocre and I don't want to see another mediocre Castlevania game. Give it to Platinum instead. At least then it will be flawed, but fun.
Ffs flawed but fun? Try again, it will have a subpar combat system, be short, have no atmosphere or world building, music will just be ‘combat’ music. No just no, Platinum do not make good licensed games at all, and they certainly dont have the talent to present Castlevania properly.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'd rather PlatinumGames or Capcom handle it instead.
i dont want it to be a hack and slash at all, i want it to become more reminiscent of the 16 bit SNES/Genesis games. stage progression, powerups and everything. i was initially all about fromsoftware but they're good enough making their own thing. think Castlevania 64 but actually executed well

Last edited:
i dont want it to be a hack and slash at all, i want it to become more reminiscent of the 16 bit SNES/Genesis games. stage progression, powerups and everything. i was initially all about fromsoftware but they're good enough making their own thing. think Castlevania 64 but actually executed well
It isn't going to be anything like the 16 bit games if they make it like the GOW reboot.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It isn't going to be anything like the 16 bit games if they make it like the GOW reboot.
well maybe that won't be the case, but i'm just putting out what id personally want out there

i'd also want a full on 3d metroidvania since we haven't gotten much of those since Metroid Prime, but if the lack of them are evident they must take a shitton of resources to make

I would love to see WayForward take a stab at it. Or even YachtClub Games.

Ffs flawed but fun? Try again, it will have a subpar combat system, be short, have no atmosphere or world building, music will just be ‘combat’ music. No just no, Platinum do not make good licensed games at all, and they certainly dont have the talent to present Castlevania properly.

Yes, Flawed but fun. Platinum struggles tremendously at technical stuff, but their are great at the things that matter most: A fun, campy story (which is exactly what CastleVania always was originally), addictive and high skill cieling gameplay that is only matched by the Devil May Cry devs in the industry, nothing else can come close for character action games, fantastic and catchy music, and strong atmosphere and decent world building.

Sure, SSM could make a Castlevania with AAAA production quality, but it would be a bloated mess - at least the team for Rag anyway. If it was the devs that were around for God of War 1-Ascension, then maybe they could do something great with the property. Lords of Shadow was a God of War clone after all.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The worry here is that they're going to turn it into another sony movie-game like with GOW. I'd rather PlatinumGames or Capcom handle it instead.
Games that actually put work into their cutscenes are movie games?

I see you listed Capcom, what's the difference between Resident Evil 2 remake, DMC5, etc and God of War Ragnarok?

Salz01

To be fair though, SSM hasn't made a single game that isn't a God of War since the PS2 days. In fact, they have only ever made one game that isn't a God of War in its existence (although that game was Kinetica, and it too was a banger... but, it probably would chart as a sales bomb.)

PlatinumGames is a work-for-hire studio; Sony Santa Monica is a 1st Party Studio working for the platform manufacturer. When your company can survive on making seven games in 20 years, it's a lot easier to sum up your reputation, but when you're a contract development studio working for unvested publishers or producing independently, you've got to do what it takes to eat. So you make a Transformers game where there it barely makes any sense to for the robots to transform, and you ship a GAAS for a major publisher even though it is bound to fail because it's too far along to pull back without devastating financial repercussions. SSM canceled all of its games which could have been bombs, and they saved themselves from the fallout by making another God of War.

(That said, I don't personally see PlatinumGames being the right choice for reviving Castlevania either.)
Bound.

CamHostage

Made by Plastic. (That's the demoscener company which also made that trippy thing with the floating dog, Linger in Shadows.)

Sony Santa Monica opened itself up as a boutique studio incubator at the time when indies and downloadable games were exploding, so you saw the SSM logo on more games than usual at that time, but their own development studio teams were not necessarily involved in the day-to-day production of the games. I've never looked at the credits to see if there was involvement of actual members of SSM on Bound or Unfinished Swan, (in a quick glance, there's of course the SSM producers and then there is crossover of some art staff and then a few tech consultant listings, also playtesters,) but think of it like a roommate situation where sometimes the landlord helps the tenant move furniture around or feed the cat for a weekend or they share a communal TV.

Last edited:

manzo

So we would get a Dracula who would say ”What is a man? Even I don’t dare to assume a gender anymore! But enough talk! Have at xir!”

Anything american video game ”writers” touch these days is just pure garbage.

No thanks. I hope anything Santa Monica or Naughty Dog does is confined within Sony’s own press-a-to-jason interactive movies.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It's surprising that you even expected that. Anyone who using stupid terms ala "movie games" don't worth any attempts to discuss things with them. They belong straight to ignore list.
Yeah you're right, it's all nonsense

Top Bottom