• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Director of God of War wants to work on a Castlevania game next

Eric Williams said at the end of the Kinda Funny God of War Ragnarok Spoilercast that he’s now free and trying to get the licensing to Castlevania. I surprisingly haven’t seen anyone pick up the story yet, but it’s pretty interesting considering the news we’ve had recently that Konami has been licensing out it’s IP to third party studios now, as we’ve seen with Bloober doing SIlent Hill 2.

He says it around the last 5 minutes of the show

Sony should just try to make an offer to own these Konami IPs, but i think the only one they would want to own is Metal Gear.

Kacho

A prestigious studio like SSM working on Castlevania should be a no brainer for Konami. If they’re willing to work with Bloober of all studios, the ink should be drying as we speak.

This reminds me that Caslevania tried to be a fighting game once. Which you would think on paper would have been a good idea, but no.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Why not after all Lords Of Shadow 1 was better than any GoW which came out that gen, time to restore it's glory.

LoS 2 wasn't all that good, tho.
I agree. I really liked the first LOS, never played the 2nd.

Patrick Stewart was a great narrator and it had great vibes. Didn't necessarily feel like a Castlevania game but it didn't bother me in the slightest. I thought it was solid all-around and easily the best 3D Castlevania game.

Yea, Babylon's Fall was so fun.

Would rather play Babylon's Fall again than play God of War Ragnarok.

But let's be real here. That is *one* failure in a sea of fantastic games the studio has created including the more recent Bayonetta 3 which is one of the best character-action games ever made. Astral Chain, Bayo 1-3, Automata, Sol Cresta, Wonderful 101, Devastation, Revengence, Vanquish, MadWorld - most of their work is fantastic.

Last edited:
\
Black Ink Crew Laughing GIF by VH1

And you said again….which is another L

Last edited:

tmlDan

But let's be real here. That is *one* failure in a sea of fantastic games the studio has created including the more recent Bayonetta 3 which is one of the best character-action games ever made. Astral Chain, Bayo 1-3, Automata, Sol Cresta, Wonderful 101, Devastation, Revengence, Vanquish, MadWorld - most of their work is fantastic.
I find most of those games mediocre or shit.

Bayo is okay and Astral is okay revengence is okay and vanquish is 4 hours.

That's it.

GOW Ragnarok is far superior than any game they've created.

I find most of those games mediocre or shit.

Bayo is okay and Astral is okay revengence is okay and vanquish is 4 hours.

That's it.

GOW Ragnarok is far superior than any game they've created.

No. The games mentioned at least had passion and were well paced. Bigger/longer does not mean better.

\
Black Ink Crew Laughing GIF by VH1

And you said again….which is another L

Run along, little warrior.

Nope, you're wrong.

The combat is superior, runs better, has a better story, it's pretty much better in every way compared to platinum games.

Bayonetta is the only one that can give it a run in one category, which is combat.

You are absolutely right that GoW Rag is by far the superior game in terms of technical achievements and graphical fidelity - I won't argue that fact at all. But that is like saying a PS2 game runs and looks better than a PS1 game. Of course it does, it was designed for stronger/more powerful hardware. If it *didn't*, then we would have massive issues.

Story wise? No. Bayonetta, Astral Chain, Wonderful 101 - they each carry a tone and style that outmatches anything Rag sets out to do. They stay consistent throughout with strong pacing and growth through gameplay - something Rag utterly fails to do. Combat is easily the most anemic of any God of War to date, lacks of the visceral feel of tearing enemies apart and the well paced growth that 2018 was able to provide. Its story peaks 30 min in and utterly fails to capture that same magic the earlier games did (including 2018), brings anti-climax after anti-climax, while having characters speak like they just came from the CW - not God of War.

Now if this was the director of 2018? Corey Balrog? I would be fine with seeing his idea for a new Castlevania game. Not the director of Ragnarok.

JTCx

I like how you straight up ignored Legend of Korra and Ninja Turtles.

I like how you straight up ignored Legend of Korra and Ninja Turtles.

I will be absolutely fair, I completely forgot that those titles existed. However - even with now remembering their existence, they are still barely a drop in the bucket compared to the great titles made by Platinum.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
You are absolutely right that GoW Rag is by far the superior game in terms of technical achievements and graphical fidelity - I won't argue that fact at all. But that is like saying a PS2 game runs and looks better than a PS1 game. Of course it does, it was designed for stronger/more powerful hardware. If it *didn't*, then we would have massive issues.

Story wise? No. Bayonetta, Astral Chain, Wonderful 101 - they each carry a tone and style that outmatches anything Rag sets out to do. They stay consistent throughout with strong pacing and growth through gameplay - something Rag utterly fails to do. Combat is easily the most anemic of any God of War to date, lacks of the visceral feel of tearing enemies apart and the well paced growth that 2018 was able to provide. Its story peaks 30 min in and utterly fails to capture that same magic the earlier games did (including 2018), brings anti-climax after anti-climax, while having characters speak like they just came from the CW - not God of War.

Now if this was the director of 2018? Corey Balrog? I would be fine with seeing his idea for a new Castlevania game. Not the director of Ragnarok.
Ragnarok improves on everything in GoW 2018 especially the combat

Top Bottom