• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake Will be a “Top-Grade Visual Experience” – Bloober Team

Remaking SH2 is already almost an insult. Every detail, atmosphere, expressions... That's what makes SH2. Change all that, is like to make another game.
You shouldn't change something perfect. It's like cloning you, making you prettier, and saying it's you. Isn't the same soul!

When u change this for another model, its not SH2 anymore (and other billions of reasons too);

aqi22BG.png

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
I think they're right, it's gonna be a looker of a game. Say what you will about Bloober, but they make nice looking games typically. Layers of Fear was actually quite nice looking for a Unity game, and The Observer still looks fantastic in my opinion. I don't know why there's so much negativity surrounding this remake, I think it'll go pretty well.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah

Like James looking at the mirror

It's a completely different feel and tone. The old one has more subtle animations, new one feels exagerated.

The new model may have a higher fidelity, but it looks less realistic, imo

They are completely different because they are different.
The new one is more anguish and confusion
The original is me waking up in the morning and looking in the mirror 😂
I don't think it's more exaggerated, it's just different, but the same in way.
Although in the context of it the new one is more fitting, but I understand people not liking it because it looks so different.
I am less concerned about that bit because I knew what the original director wanted to show and how much work went into getting what they did.
But a artist trying to display those emotions and thoughts by hand in a CG animation from 2002 Vs a actor being captured is aways going to be different.
I mean they could have copied it and left it at that which maybe in hindsight would have been better then to try and improve at what the scene was trying to show.
Afterall better is not always.... better.

Hugare

They are completely different because they are different.
The new one is more anguish and confusion
The original is me waking up in the morning and looking in the mirror 😂
I don't think it's more exaggerated, it's just different, but the same in way.
Although in the context of it the new one is more fitting, but I understand people not liking it because it looks so different.
I am less concerned about that bit because I knew what the original director wanted to show and how much work went into getting what they did.
But a artist trying to display those emotions and thoughts by hand in a CG animation from 2002 Vs a actor being captured is aways going to be different.
I mean they could have copied it and left it at that which maybe in hindsight would have been better then to try and improve at what the scene was trying to show.
Afterall better is not always.... better.
I'm pretty sure that they arent animating James by hand on the new one. It's motion captured. They just wanted the actor to show different emotions.

And thats what worries me. SH acting is very subtle usually (unless someone is presented as acting crazy).

Every scene available when compared to the original not only different, but just more. Gives the impression that the developer doesnt want subtetly because they dont trust players to get what they are trying to convey. "See how sad he is?? See how angry he is??"

I'll get the game anyway, of course. But the subtetly in SH cutscenes are part of the charm.

PS: If you turn up the brightness on the original scene, James is actually looking at the playert hrough the mirror. In the remake he isnt. Little things like these fans will be outraged when changed.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm pretty sure that they arent animating James by hand on the new one. It's motion captured. They just wanted the actor to show different emotions.

And thats what worries me. SH acting is very subtle usually (unless someone is presented as acting crazy).

Every scene available when compared to the original not only different, but just more. Gives the impression that the developer doesnt want subtetly because they dont trust players to get what they are trying to convey. "See how sad he is?? See how angry he is??"

I'll get the game anyway, of course. But the subtetly in SH cutscenes are part of the charm.
Oh no, I meant the original
I know the new one is mo-cap 😂
But as I was saying I less concerned with that scene, as there are more complex scenes we haven't seen yet.
But yeah the subtleties of the game and the indifference are it's charm's.
And sadly I think it would be lost on the newer generation of gamers. 😞

luca_29_bg

PS: If you turn up the brightness on the original scene, James is actually looking at the playert hrough the mirror. In the remake he isnt. Little things like these fans will be outraged when changed.

This is a myth, Ito confirmed on his twitter that James is not looking at the player.Many things about games are considered "true" just because these went virals and accepted as real, but at the end of the day are just wrong interpretations of someone :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Hugare

This is a myth, Ito confirmed on his twitter that James is not looking at the player.Many things about games are considered "true" just because these went virals and accepted as real, but at the end of the day are just wrong interpretations of someone :messenger_winking:

[/URL]
Hahahaha, fuck, I fell for some fake news then

Been a while since I played it, so I thought it was true. Mandela effect.

Idk wut the fk they talking bout.
But at best imo it looks medium..

The fact that they say their games look great already makes them look incredibly narcissistic, arrogant and ignorant.

And even if the graphics are top notch, Shit gameplay is a shit game.

3NUt2n4.jpg
CmRkg0n.jpg
qvHkJiM.jpg

I wonder who the other studios are that got a chance to audition to make this remake, and why bloober won the prize
Bloober probably work for cheap and Konami wanted to create this game as cheap as possible I’m guessing. I think Capcom as well as a few other companies were doing something similar when they were outsourcing their games to Western studios or studios outside of Japan.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
I wonder who the other studios are that got a chance to audition to make this remake, and why bloober won the prize
There isn't a single western studio I can think of that would be a good fit for a Silent Hill 2 remake. All of the solid teams are busy making their next game with an 8 year dev cycle.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
hey were outsourcing their games to Western studios or studios outside of Japan as well to save money supposedly.
Oh I remember....
header.jpg

I really want this to turn out good but frankly I dont trust western devs to do justice to Japanese IP. Even with Demons Souls I never liked some changes they with some of the creature designs.

Last edited:

emivita

I wished Takayoshi Sato (the guy who made SH1 and 2 CGIs) was back in the remake. Loved his signature art.

I didn't think their game The Medium looked all that bad. But having no combat in it just didn't make for the best of experiences. Although I'll be fair and say that should Bloober Team change things up, I think they could become way better...

There isn't a single western studio I can think of that would be a good fit for a Silent Hill 2 remake. All of the solid teams are busy making their next game with an 8 year dev cycle.
So, probably just some eurojank teams 😬
Konami probably thinks they are going to get a gigantic profit, and huge sales when they only have to make the game for cheap

Last edited:
Oh I remember....
header.jpg

I really want this to turn out good but frankly I dont trust western devs to do justice to Japanese IP. Even with Demons Souls I never liked some changes they with some of the creature designs.
I wholeheartedly agree with you and I get really concerned as well when non-Japanese developers work on Japanese IP’s as well. At least the game is technically already created for them so hopefully they can find ways to improve on certain features and leave other elements intact or faithful to the original.

Last edited:
I know that combat in horror games probably isn't supposed to be that great anyway, but the shooting in recent Resident Evil is just awful. Even using the better guns, it doesn't feel that good regardless. Silent Hill has always had terrible combat, so it's not like that's gonna receive any improvement.

Top Bottom