• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Director Andy Muschietti ("It") hired to direct Macro-- I mean, Robotech

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Ah yes, that other anime movie they're still trying to make a thing.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/andy-muschietti-robotech-it-sony-1202497653/
While his highly anticipated movie version of Stephen King’s “It” doesn’t bow for another two months, Andy Muschietti looks to have already found his follow-up, attaching himself to Sony’s adaptation of “Robotech.” Muschietti’s creative partner Barbara Muschietti will join Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton in producing the project, which is based on the 1980s cartoon series from Harmony Gold USA and Japan’s Tatsunoko Productions.

The story is set in a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology of an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific island and is now using that technology to fight off an impending alien invasion. The property has attracted everyone from Leonardo DiCaprio to James Wan over the years. Sony now hopes Muschietti can finally push it into production.

Just do a Mobile Suit Gundam movie instead if old.

MMarston

So Tobey McGuire is no longer involved?

In b4 Emma Stone as Minmei

I'm always amused at the "throw any big talent but the kitchen sink" part of these stories whenever news of these sort of adaptations come up. And the only time that's ever even remotely paid off even if insignificantly was the new GitS movie.

So a bastardized and significantly lamer version of Macross without the singing starring generic white guy #32984 and made on a budget so the robits look garbage.

Can't wait.

(this is never getting made)

I hope it gets made and wrecks the company so someone can save the rights to macross and let the series get the official localization it deserves

Sony is trying way too hard to get anything at all to stick.

Honestly if things continue as they are, I can't see them sustaining given just how many failures they continue to eat.

Fury451

Banned
Just do a Mobile Suit Gundam movie instead if old.

But that would make sense and be relatively straightforward of a project (albeit expensive) which Hollywood can't do.

Like that time they adapted Max Payne and literally only needed to make a John Woo movie with 1940s detective narration and they fucked it all up making some bizarro movie with drug induced angels with Marky Mark and Mila Kunis, with no good action and a boring shallow plot.

Korigama

Plus Gundam would cost a crapload of money to do well and the uncanny valley would be bad. There's a reason most of Pacific Rim takes place at night.
Doing an adaptation of a Universal Century Gundam wouldn't be a particularly good idea for a big budget film, either (the actual UC shows never really caught on with anime viewers in the US as it is, so I rather doubt a "Hollywood tries and fails to interpret anime" take on the material for a mainstream audience would be any more successful).

Geist-

Plus Gundam would cost a crapload of money to do well and the uncanny valley would be bad. There's a reason most of Pacific Rim takes place at night.

I honestly wish they'd just do a big budget 3d animated movie for these types of IPs eg Pixar. The reason uncanny valley is so bad is because they have live-action actors and sets to compare the CG to. The quality of the robots doesn't matter if it's all a part of a unified CG aesthetic.

They'll never do a non-comedy/non-kid focused 3d animated movie though, so the point is moot.

I like Robotech better than Macross too, way better OST. That said only the Macross generation's good, don't know anyone who preferred Southern Cross or Mospaeda.
I thought Mospeada was great and it might be my favorite of the three. Good characters designed by Yoshitaka Amano. I really liked how underpowered the protagonists were and it had a gritty survival feel to it. The trip across the Americas and them seeing a new messed up city or situation to test them each episode was a likable premise to me. In some ways it reminds me of The Walking Dead.

I'd easily rank Southern Cross last though.

I'm always amused at the "throw any big talent but the kitchen sink" part of these stories whenever news of these sort of adaptations come up. And the only time that's ever even remotely paid off even if insignificantly was the new GitS movie.

To be fair, this has been in development hell long enough that throw talent at it was a viable and worthwhile option at some point during its development.

MMarston

Wait damn it I thought Lin was supposed to direct this.
Actually, it was James Wan. Dunno why they're approaching people who specialize in horror though, despite the fact he did Furious 7.

Also, given how people are getting tired of Transformers and are practically about to give up on nu-Trek if the current BO trend of those franchises continues, I'd say they missed their window.

Which is a shame, because I think there is some real good material for making a UC movie.

HORRORSHØW

I thought Mospeada was great and it might be my favorite of the three. Good characters designed by Yoshitaka Amano. I really liked how underpowered the protagonists were and it had a gritty survival feel to it. The trip across the Americas and them seeing a new messed up city or situation to test them each episode was a likable premise to me. In some ways it reminds me of The Walking Dead.

I liked mospeada because motorcycles

Obligatory "fuck Harmony Gold" post.

That aside, it's such a weird concept making an adaptation of what is already a bastardization of a foreign property.

Though that ship seems to have sailed with Transformers and Power Rangers.

We'll always have Japanese Spiderman as an opposite example I suppose.

japan-spiderman.jpg

That did influence Sentai as well, so this whole thing has been cross-pollinating for a while...

So a bastardized and significantly lamer version of Macross without the singing starring generic white guy #32984 and made on a budget so the robits look garbage.

Can't wait.

(this is never getting made)

Uh Robotech had plenty of singing dude did you ever watch it?
Edit: oh you mean the movie won't have singing? Yeah probably a good thing for a Hollywood production

Sojgat

Robotech OST is the GOAT and the first 5 episodes would make a perfect movie.

Watch them fuck it up completely.

Busty

Banned
When this originally set up at Sony from Warners Andy Muschietti was the producer's original choice to direct the film but the studio wanted a name director and so they attached James Wan.

Wan jumped ship for Aquaman and now that IT is poised to be a hit they suddenly invite ol' Andy to rejoin the project. A project that is once again looking for a new writer.

WB got shot of this project because the rights were a mess and I don't think Sony have had anymore luck with it. I don't think this ever sees the light of day.

Faiz

Whole bunch of side eye to people preferring Robotech. Robotech was born of necessity of the times, let's leave that trash in the past. And Fuck Harmony Gold.

Doing an adaptation of a Universal Century Gundam wouldn't be a particularly good idea for a big budget film, either (the actual UC shows never really caught on with anime viewers in the US as it is, so I rather doubt a "Hollywood tries and fails to interpret anime" take on the material for a mainstream audience would be any more successful).

But does it need to be a UC adaptation? I mean, as long as it has the usual Gundam themes and elements you could basically just do a separate AU for movies.

firelogic

But does it need to be a UC adaptation? I mean, as long as it has the usual Gundam themes and elements you could basically just do a separate AU for movies.

A gritty, no-cheese, adaptation of 08th MS Team would be rad.

What uncanny valley? Transformers movies all have giant robots fighting each other in broad daylight, in populated cities, with humans running around and fighting all over the place. Of course a Gundam/Robotech movie wouldn't get the budget that a Transformers does, but there is no uncanny valley when it comes to non-human things if you throw money at it.

As long as Harmony Gold is involved it will be complete dirty baby diapers

They likely can do little but give story tips and 'advice' to the movie studio that is not obligated to listen to them.

If anything they likely made bank for the license regardless.

And personally, I like Robotech better than Macross whose highest point was Plus. Seven is love/hate it relationship, Frontier I only made halfway through and I'm dreading eventually watching Delta. While the singing aspect was always interesting early on I feel they've long since gone past the point of going overboard with it.

Aegus

All they need to do is make Macross Plus in live action.

Action scenes can be shot 1 for 1. They're already perfect as it is.

HeatBoost

Come on Studio Nue, if Tsuburaya can go after the Chinese bootleg Ultraman production that Chaiyo authorized, yall can go after Harmony Gold and this shit

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH

I will co-sign this post in blood. Mospeada rocks, and Ran is GOAT.

Top Bottom