• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Xbox Series X Complete Specs + Ray Tracing/Gears 5/Back-Compat/Quick Resume Demo Showcase!

Sorry if this has been covered already, usually I read the whole thread first:

with "USB 3.2", how long would it take to transfer a 50GB game from an external HDD or SSD to the console SSD?
normal 3,5 Zoll HDD has 150-200Mbit/s
speedrate......do the math for you self

audio CD?

giphy.gif

Shin

Banned

That problem persists with this year's TV also, I took a quick look at LG's GX series but it doesn't have it either and Sony fucked up 2 years in a row so losing interest there.
I might hold off until next year, that should be the 2nd gen HDMI 2.1 TV's and 1st gen for some :/, AX should be in those by then.
After all if you're spending $500+ might as well do it right, that's how I see it at least and generally speaking.

Tripolygon

Banned
so guys tell me something.
12TF GPU compute + 15TF worth of Hardware accelerated RT right?
so imagine that a developer makes a game Tripple A game without RT, could the developer use the 15TF part with the GPU power? "doubling the graphics fidelity without raytracing, or maybe use 15TF to get 120FPS?! Oo
No, the RT cores are meant for just that. They cannot be used for anything other than to accelerate BHV.

Shin

Banned
Seems waaay too small.
That's why you can expand + hook up HDD's (2 different things).
It's all written or covered in the video, if you can't watch that then try these:

Dontero

Banned
I think 20GB and a 2tb SSD would have been nice but the choice they went with hints there will be a premium Series X One X 'pro' SKU coming.

Also second Xbox and vacation in Africa free. Maybe you should check first prices of those things.

2TB NVME SSD starts at $300 used
2080Ti starts at $1000 used and has only 11GB VRAM not 16.

so guys tell me something. 12TF GPU compute + 15TF worth of Hardware accelerated RT right?
so imagine that a developer makes a game Tripple A game without RT, could the developer use the 15TF part with the GPU power? "doubling the graphics fidelity without raytracing, or maybe use 15TF to get 120FPS?! Oo

Nope. 12TF only. Those 15TF of raytracing also is technically true but in reality if console will be able to really ray trace anything properly it would success.

I mean their Minecraft demo was below 30fps from what i could see...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
LMAO good luck with that. We all know MS is gonna have a premium markup on them. The customized slots force us to get them instead of our own options as well. I hope an adapter is created as a workaround for this.
If that SeX 1TB card ends up being $150-200 US, that'll be a hard pill to swallow.

Add 35% for Cdn currency conversion and it'll be $200+.

Banned
Seems waaay too small.

SSDs are expensive, and you can expand it.
we will have to wait and see how much their expansion cards cost.

but if you have the money you will be able to instantly upgrade that to 2TF.
I think that's the right call by MS, keep the price of the main unit as small as possible but also have the option to upgrade available for people that want it.

also keep in mind that you can install Xbox One, 360 and og Xbox games onto normal external USB hard drives, so all those games don't need to be on the main storage (but will run faster on it of course)
and you will be able to keep Series X games on USB drives and then move them over to the main storage to play them, which should be faster than a full re-download.

xool

I couldn't read the rest of the sheet.

• Dimensions 15.1cm x 15.1cm x 30.1cm
  • Weight 9.8lbs / 4.44 Kg
  • 12 Teraflops, 52 CUs @ 1.825 GHz
  • Custom RDNA 2 GPU
  • SoC Die Size 360.45 mm2
  • 16GB GDDR6
  • 10GB @ 560 GB/s, 6GB @ 336 GB/s
  • 1TB Custom NVMe SSD
  • 2.4 GB/s (raw), 4.8 GB/s (compressed)
  • 1TB Expansion Card
  • USB 3.2 External HDD
  • 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • 2160p (4K) @ 120Hz,
  • 4320p (8K) @ 60Hz
  • HDMI VRR & AMD Freesync
  • HDR10
  • Dolby Vision Low Latency
  • Auto Low Latency Mode
  • Variable Refresh Rate
  • Fixed Rate Link
  • HDCP 2.2
  • VP9, H.265, HEVC/MSP
  • H.264 AVC/MVC/SVC
  • MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Part 2, VC1, WMV9
  • Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1
  • PCM 2.0, 5.1 & 7.1, Dolby TrueHD w/ Atmos (from games)
  • Dolby TrueHD (opt. Atmos), DD+ (opt. Atmos), DTS-HR/MA (opt. DTS-X)
  • AAC, MP3, MPEG1, WMV
  • IEEE 802.11ac dual band
  • 5GHz & 2.4GHz 2x2
No bluetooth. Would have been nice.

Jadsey

Certainly an impressive bit of kit.

However, all consoles live or die by the quality of their games library. This has and always will be an irrefutable truth.

In that respect I hope Xbox can deliver the goods.

Time will tell.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've thought that SSD speed in XSX will be above 3 GB/s at least. Looks like earlier WC rumor was right, Around 2 GB/s
And if it was 3gb, you would have said 3.5 or 4.
IO Throughput2.4GB/s (Raw), 4.8GB/s (Compressed)
So, only 10 GB of RAM for GPU??
Developers will be using the overall 16GB of memory in two ways: there’s 10GB for fast GPU optimal memory, 3.5GB for standard memory, and 2.5GB reserved by the OS.

If you're going to round down your numbers to take a job at SeX, you can at least claim its 12tf is really 10tf. lol

Last edited:
And if it was 3gb, you would have said 3.5 or 4.
IO Throughput2.4GB/s (Raw), 4.8GB/s (Compressed)

Developers will be using the overall 16GB of memory in two ways: there’s 10GB for fast GPU optimal memory, 3.5GB for standard memory, and 2.5GB reserved by the OS.

If you're going to round down your numbers to take a job at SeX, you can at least claim its 12tf is really 10tf. lol

Naaaah. Not now

Arkam

I have to say, I'm a bit surprised at the split memory bandwidth 10GB @ 560 GB/s, 6GB @ 336 GB/s seems an odd strat to take.

Same. Seems like a bad move as the games get access to 13.5GB....so they (may) have to be aware WHICH pool of memory they are pulling from. Was a lot of fun dealing with this on the PS3. Here hopefully it will be a much smaller issue.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
How did I know you would be the one coming into an Xbox spec reveal thread bashing it?

Oh please, don't act like you're Nostradamus or something :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I doubt there is a single member of NeoGAF that didn't expect the Supreme Leader of the SDF to be working hard at damage control and trying to mitigate all the positive reactions to his beloved Sony's evil competitor.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Same. Seems like a bad move as the games get access to 13.5GB....so they (may) have to be aware WHICH pool of memory they are pulling from. Was a lot of fun dealing with this on the PS3. Here hopefully it will be a much smaller issue.
That is an odd thing.

I guess making it a blanket 560/gb/s for all 16gb cost too much? Seems weird.

All_Might

I feel like I can help levitate some of the confusion over the RAM used in the Xbox Series X.
Lets start with the RAM type used in the Xbox series X, GDDR6 memory is usually reserved for graphics cards, which typically benefit from the very high bandwidth found in this RAM. In case of the Xbox it’s 2 types of bandwidth, one with 560 GB/s and one with 336 GB/s. We have 10 Gigabytes of the faster type RAM and 6 Gigabytes of the slower type. The amount of RAM useable by game developers is 13.5 Gigabytes with 2.5 Gigabytes being reserved for the OS and background applications. It’s a unified memory pool, which developers can allocate the required amounts of RAM freely to either the CPU or the GPU.

Now onto the problems:
A lot of people seem to think there a two major problems with the RAM. The first one being “there is slower 336 GB/s RAM in there, is that really enough ? Why was that build in ?“, this is not really a issue in game development in fact in won’t even matter. The reason being, that the 3.5 Gigabytes of RAM that is being available of this slower RAM will be used for the CPU. Processors do not really need this insane amount of bandwidth and don’t really benefit from this, which is why pc‘s use DDR4 memory for the cpu, which if compared to GDDR6 even the slower type lakes a lot in bandwidth. The CPU benefits much more from lower latency and is a key factor in RAM for communication between the two. Also we need to take into account that the CPU usually in games needs more RAM then the GPU, but this of course heavily depends on the Game. So assuming we need 6 Gigabytes of RAM for the GPU at all times which is a really high number in the console area, we still would be left with 7.5 gigabytes of RAM for the CPU at all times, of which 3.5 gigabytes is of the slower bandwidth type. So the bandwidth is not really a issue for game development. And please remember that the amount of RAM needed to either cpu or gpu is allocated by the game developers depending on their needs.

Now for the second problem “Is 13.5 Gigabytes really enough for the next gen?“, now this is a much more complex issue, which I guess we will see over the next years, though from my standpoint at least for now it’s plenty. With the next generation consoles we will be benefitting a lot from new technologies, and one major factor will be the ssd. The new storage medium will allow us to cache much less things in the RAM and rely much more on simply pulling things off the ssd. Also keep in mind that memory allocation will be much more efficient this generation, more on that will be revealed down the line (or not as that is usually only really interesting for developers). So with taking this into account, do I think it’s going to be enough for the next generation ? Yes I do, people will see that this generation will allow for a much better memory efficiency and it will show with the true next gen games.

I really hope this helps some of you.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'

Well after looking into things it’s actually not that bad an issue at all, and from a development point of view makes a lot of sense when you get down to it. It’s not like it was on the ps3 at all.

edit: read the post All_Might All_Might just made, it sums it up.

Last edited:

I mean, in the DF video he says it was arranged this way “so the console works.”

I don’t know what that exactly refers to, maybe pricing?

Entroyp

If I understand correctly, any external HDD will work for XsX games but every game running needs to be in either the internal or proprietary external drives. So they must be copied to the internal drive to run and can be copied to the external when needed.

That’s a pretty cool solution if that’s how it works.

Last edited:
Has this AMD person really said that XSX is more technical advanced than the ps5?

"XSX is going to be a beacon of technical innovation LEADERSHIP FOR THIS CONSOLE GENERATION"

“Xbox Series X is the biggest generational leap of SOC [System on a Chip] and API design that we’ve done with Microsoft, and it’s really an honor for AMD to be a trusted Microsoft partner for this endeavor,” said Nussbaum. “The Xbox Series X is going to be a beacon of technical innovation leadership for this console generation and will propagate the innovation throughout the DirectX ecosystem this year and into next year.”

Stuart360

Has this AMD person really said that XSX is more technical advanced than the ps5?

"XSX is going to be a beacon of technical innovation LEADERSHIP FOR THIS CONSOLE GENERATION"

“Xbox Series X is the biggest generational leap of SOC [System on a Chip] and API design that we’ve done with Microsoft, and it’s really an honor for AMD to be a trusted Microsoft partner for this endeavor,” said Nussbaum. “The Xbox Series X is going to be a beacon of technical innovation leadership for this console generation and will propagate the innovation throughout the DirectX ecosystem this year and into next year.”
I wouldnt look too much into that to be honest. Even if it was true, i very much doubt AMD would say anything before Sony has released the PS5 specs.

Entroyp

Interesting. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case.

xool

Proprietary expansion cards (to act as fast internal storage). External HDDs will still be compatible.
Not for next-gen games though.
There is a reason for no optical out. Its old tech that cant handle the bandwidth of newer audio technologies that hdmi allows for.
It has toslink last time I looked
I hope the top will glow
Nope
892GB/s of memory bandwidth. Holy shit. ;)
No. Sorry - those numbers don't add.
I thought it would be 56CUs giving the die size.
Predicted 52 CU back in Aug 2019. Feeling smug. Got everything else wrong though ..

tryDEATH

Love all the trolls misdirecting this whole thread due to storage expansion, which they don't really grasp or are acting ignorant how integral it is to the systems ecosystem and even more so the actual current pricing for high end NVME SSD's.

Everyone argued for SSD's and how it would be a game changer as it is for PC's, only for them to now be completely uninformed how much high end gaming SSD's actually cost and that mixing and matching storage's dilutes performances something MS is trying to avoid for their system.

Even though the Series X has the same exact set up a large majority of PC gamers have right now where the NVME stores the games they play now and have separate drives be it SSD's or regular HDD's for the rest of their games just like you can do with the Series X.

Also due to Series X having USB 3.2 the transfer speed is 10Gb/s so transferring games from external HDD's that you can still use that are also USB 3.2 you can transfer a 100GB game in less than 2 minutes or from external HDD's that are USB 3.1 for a 100GB game around 12 minutes.

This is an extremely minor inconvenience at most for 98% of people even among the PC gaming crowd, yet all the fan boys have latched on to this one minuscule thing trying to bash the decision while sidetracking the other 99% of the system reveal, which is bring is some truly phenomenal features and power to console gamers.

EDIT. Mixed numbers for USB 3.0 with USB 3.1 corrected to real life numbers.

Last edited:
PC gamers should be happy with that ram amount tho, makes there old cards stay relevant for ages.

Also dat nvme expansion card.

false

Becsuse of new MS technology:
"Sampler Feedback Streaming" -
XSX need only 10GB RAM....
on PC Gpu you will need 20-30GB of Ram to accomplish the same.

Xbox Velocity Architecture – The Xbox Velocity Architecture is the new architecture we’ve created for the Xbox Series X to unlock new capabilities never-before seen in console development. It consists of four components: our custom NVMe SSD, a dedicated hardware decompression block, the all new DirectStorage API, and Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS). This combination of custom hardware and deep software integration allows developers to radically improve asset streaming and effectively multiply available memory. It will enable richer and more dynamic living worlds unlike anything ever seen before. It also effectively eliminates loading times, and makes fast travel systems just that: fast.

Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS) – A component of the Xbox Velocity Architecture, SFS is a feature of the Xbox Series X hardware that allows games to load into memory, with fine granularity, only the portions of textures that the GPU needs for a scene, as it needs it. This enables far better memory utilization for textures, which is important given that every 4K texture consumes 8MB of memory. Because it avoids the wastage of loading into memory the portions of textures that are never needed, it is an effective 2x or 3x (or higher) multiplier on both amount of physical memory and SSD performance.

Last edited:
WTF? No. I can get nvm.e SSD cheaper than that lol
But that's a cheap NVMe SSD that might not be able to deliver the stable performance next gen consoles need. Which makes sense when you look at what that SSD is supposed to do, like being used as virtual ram.

High performance 1TB SSDs which guarantee top speeds over long periods of time (for 4K video editing for example) are at least 200€ and according to the report that external storage upgrade functions the same as the internal (hence it's connected via PCIe instead of USB-C or other slower connectors), so it wouldn't surprise me if that upgrade costs at least 179€ for the 1TB drive.
I mean, in the DF video he says it was arranged this way “so the console works.”

My guess is that the slower ram works in conjunction with the virtual RAM from the SSD, like as a buffer of some sort. I would love to hear a more in depth explanation for that setup as well, since it is very weird.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Well let's not make this about Sony...….As it stands, I think there is too much of talk about Sony in this thread already as opposed to XBOX....

MS just announced their specs, lets discuss that instead, but in my opinion, I see no reason Sony has to react to this.....November 2020 is a long way away and no one can even preorder farless take an XBOX Series X home anytime soon...….By June or even September, people's reaction to these specs here now will be very different and it will be a distant memory…...I think the hype for a console is normally sustained closer to it's launch date.....

You wish.

Arkam

I am going to assume MS knows what they are doing (and the slower bit is still better than X1X). but never would have guessed it.

Top Bottom