• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Xbox Series X Back-Compat Tests "Hugely Impressive"

pr0cs

Fantastic analysis, though many of those games they presented with clear improvements I'm not terribly interested in.
Only game I can think of that I'd consider replaying (and reviewing improvements from) is Bioshock from the 360 era, if I recall it had an 'unlocked' framerate option (that ran terrible on the 360).

Last edited:

martino

I'm not referring to Mesh shaders or VRS , just the IPC gains from the RDNA 2 architecture over GCN. Those games on PC are fully taking advantage of Turing IPC and on top of that are not running in any sort of BC layer.
what is this nonsense ?
XSX apu is not a transformer changing his architecture / content.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I had to get Stadia to play games with decent visuals.
DecentDampArcticfox-size_restricted.gif

I find the fact that most games were struggling to maintain a constant 60 fps in 4k hugely annoying. And very disappointing.

ON the bright side, we're back to cartridge based load-times as I remember some cartridge games (Zelda: OoT) taking upwards of 31 seconds to load up certain areas late in the game. With a 3 - 7 second standard loadtime on cartridges back in the day - load times that were all but lost when we switched to CD's - we're basically back to "no loadtimes" even though there were actually load times they were pretty small. And we're fairly close again in terms of load times now anyways.

This hardware should still maintain a solid 60 FPS in 4k without any frame dip's (yes I mean without a dip to 54-57 frames) on old titles and that's upsetting. Sure it will get ironed out with better software optimizations down the line.

Last edited:

Zathalus

what is this nonsense ?
XSX apu is not a transformer changing his architecture / content.
Its literally in the article.
However, it's important to stress one thing: while Series X runs old games with full clocks, every compute unit and the full 12 teraflop of compute, it does so in compatibility mode - you aren't getting the considerable architectural performance boosts offered by the RDNA 2 architecture.
this is the GPU running in compatibility mode, where it emulates the behaviour of the last generation Xbox - you aren't seeing the architectural improvements to performance from RDNA 2, which Microsoft says is 25 per cent to the better, teraflop to teraflop. And obviously, these games are not coded for RDNA 2 or Series X, meaning that access to the actual next-gen features like variable rate shading or mesh shaders simply does not exist.

Yoboman picking up the MS bashing as many of them got banned today.

Check Yobo’s post history. Yikes.
Yeah it's not surprising at all, they are about as immature and junevile as they come. I'm an Xbox guy no doubt about it, and i wont lie and say i don't get satisfaction out of it when i see Xbox slaying their way into the next gen and watching the meltdown occur, but i still appreciate the PS5 and wont just bash it for existing. Without the PS4, Xbox wouldn't have been forced to change their ways and its resulting in everything we see now.

I grew up Sega, Nintendo, Playstation, PC & Xbox, i have no solid allegiance to a brand as they've all contributed to what i love about gaming throughout my life, but in this era of gaming, i like what Xbox do and they potential they have to really advance console gaming.

I used to be that toxic Xbox kid 10-15 years ago, but everyone needs to grow up at some point, and most of these people can't grasp that concept.

As Richard pointed out that there's doubling of TFLOPs, but not everything in the GPU is getting a straight 2x multiplier. Mem bandwidth for e.g. which is only a 1.72x increase over One X which I suspect is why there are frame-rate dips beneath 60fps on Series X in titles like MHunter, Hitman 2 at 4K with unlocked frame-rate. They also say that it's because they aren't fully taking advantage of the RDNA 2's architectural benefits.

PS5 will have no such problems as its memory bandwidth and TFLOPs are getting a 2.05x and 2.45x boost over PS4 Pro, respectively. So PS4 Pro games with unlocked frame-rate will stick to 60fps more doggedly on PS5 than Series X does in back-compat.
PS4 pro : 1440p
X1X : 4k
Your analogy is invalid

martino

Its literally in the article.

full clocks, 12 flops of compute available (so all ipc / perf watt advantage are there)
of course the new render pipeline, rt, vrs , sfs all those architectural changes are not used. but hitman 2 on pc won't use them 2.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
[/QUOTE]
I find the fact that most games were struggling to maintain a constant 60 fps in 4k hugely annoying. And very disappointing.

ON the bright side, we're back to cartridge based load-times as I remember some cartridge games (Zelda: OoT) taking upwards of 31 seconds to load up certain areas late in the game. With a 3 - 7 second standard loadtime on cartridges back in the day - load times that were all but lost when we switched to CD's - we're basically back to "no loadtimes" even though there were actually load times they were pretty small. And we're fairly close again in terms of load times now anyways.

This hardware should still maintain a solid 60 FPS in 4k without any frame dip's (yes I mean without a dip to 54-57 frames) on old titles and that's upsetting. Sure it will get ironed out with better software optimizations down the line.
We shouldn't expect unrealistic things from next gen consoles. The reality is, even 2080ti cant maintain 60fps at 4K in current gen games like hitman 2, so there results arnt really that surprising, in fact they look good considering game was running in BC

Zathalus

full clocks, 12 flops of compute available (so all ipc / perf watt advantage are there)
of course the new render pipeline, rt, vrs , sfs all those architectural changes are not used. but hitman 2 on pc won't use them 2.
Of course Hitman 2 on PC uses the architecture of the 2080 Super. You think its running in emulation mode for Pascal or something? The simple fact is, if these games were taking full advantages of the IPC gains available on the XSX, they would be performing much better.

All this does is back up the data from the Gears 5 preview, the XSX GPU is around a 2080 Super level. Hardly surprising as it is a 12.15 TFLOP GPU.

martino

Of course Hitman 2 on PC uses the architecture of the 2080 Super. You think its running in emulation mode for Pascal or something? The simple fact is, if these games were taking full advantages of the IPC gains available on the XSX, they would be performing much better.

All this does is back up the data from the Gears 5 preview, the XSX GPU is around a 2080 Super level. Hardly surprising as it is a 12.15 TFLOP GPU.
believe what you want extrapolating from vulgarization video.

DJT123

In all honesty it's really impressive what MS have got right now. If I was a new console gamer I would be so interested especially in the crazy deals & future games pipeline.

Last edited:
Remember, it’s Xbox fans that need to calm down and stop bullying people on GAF.

sometimes i forget how serious videogames are and i say something out of line

i forget how harmful words can be...how would i feel if someone made fun of MY favorite videogame machine...what if someone made fun of MY favorite corporate institution

i just wish if that day ever arrives, some "bully" as you put it, would SET THEM STRAIGHT!

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Just watched. This is really impressive. Gigantic framerate boosts (in unlocked games) across the board, with no optimization.

It actually makes you wonder what could happen if one of these developers goes back and makes the game fully compliant with the Series X architecture. Would 120 FPS/4K be a possible standard for older games? Maybe to get all the way insane with it, for the two of you that own compatible screens, 30 FPS/8K or something under?

But this on its own is truly impressive work. From what I understand accurate BC utilizing the system like this, is not easy. If BC like this is going to continue, it also makes a great case for leaving an ‘unlock framerate’ option in the menu for all future games from now on (a feature that is awesome in OG Bioshock on One X). Maybe even going back, and at the least, updating older locked games with this option, so we can play stuff like Rise of the Tomb Raider at 60 FPS/4K.

semicool

Banned
From Sony's presser: Claim of 99 percent compatibility with ps4 games on ps5. Of those compatible games, Ps5 has "boost mode" on "select (ps4) games"...ie...not all compatible ps4 games....doesn't sound as promising as XSX BC imo

We'll see, but BC history sure doesn't favor Sony and with stating "select games" with a "boost".....not sounding as good from what it sounds like. I hope DF does a PS5 vs XSX for new AND BC games for comparison.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Any news on the original Xbox games?
Seems kind of odd that these were left out of the video, but it feels like most of them run at 4K and a solid FPS on the Xbox One X, and I doubt they've gotten worse with this hardware upgrade.

FireFly

We don't know if the XSX CUs are operating in a special "GCN" mode when backwards compatibility is enabled. That certainly seems to be how Sony are doing it, based on Cerny's comments.

Flintty

Superb analysis as always. I'm quite interested to hear more about what he said around 07:35, regarding MS wizards making improvements at system level.

Amazing. Literally runnning double the FPS in most titles automatically without any additional patches, even ones in 4k, and this is pre launch preview program. DOA6 in 4k mode locked at 60fps now, amazing.

semicool

Banned
We don't know if the XSX CUs are operating in a special "GCN" mode when backwards compatibility is enabled. That certainly seems to be how Sony are doing it, based on Cerny's comments.
That's pretty much what DF stated in the article if you would take a moment and read it

Last edited:

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
This sounds fantastic! I have a lot of 360 games that I haven't been able to play in a long time (Infinite Undiscovery comes to mind). I'm really thinking of buying a XSS for BC titles to go with my PC and PS5.

Last edited:

GloveSlap

Oh my god this is glorious. Having skipped the xbox one generation, and having a collection of 360 and OG xbox games ; the value and quality proposition vs. the ps5 is hilariously large.

I cannot fucking wait for the series X man!
Seeing og/360 games run in 4k is definitely a trip. Night and day difference. Hopefully they keep adding old game patches.

Rikkori

What I really care most about is autoHDR. I want to see some testing of that so badly, hopefully by someone that at least half-understands HDR like EvilBoris.

I'm drooling dreaming about being able to play some classics like KotOR, Mass Effect, etc with HDR on. I would actually buy one of these consoles for that, as I imagine they won't bring that to PC. 🤤

Marlenus

Based on the Hitman 2 test performance looks to be 2080 - 2080s tier in raw performance as estimated based on the Gears 5 preview a while ago.

semicool

Banned
I read the article, and was simply being cautious, since what "compatability mode" entails on the hardware level is never explained.
Oh okay, you had reading fail then. It says more than that and does elaborate on "compatibility mode".....which implications should be more obvious to you. It mentions like not using RDNA2 architecture and that it emulates last gen Xbox one. Let me assist you:

"this is the GPU running in compatibility mode, where it emulates the behaviour of the last generation Xbox - you aren't seeing the architectural improvements to performance from RDNA 2, which Microsoft says is 25 per cent to the better, teraflop to teraflop. And obviously, these games are not coded for RDNA 2 or Series X, meaning that access to the actual next-gen features like variable rate shading or mesh shaders simply does not exist."

And "where it emulates the behaviour of the last generation Xbox" ....so what was last gen GPU architecture called again that this is emulating?

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Thats hugely impressive to say no optimization has been done here, its literally standard BC.

The game cant hold a locked 60fps, or even get close, on a 2080ti and 8700K at 5.3ghz -

Yes the PC port blows a bit, but still.

Keep in mind that the graphics settings for Xbox and PC are most likely different.

jigglet

Banned
That's low/medium. It's still console settings, just uncapped. Remember there's a huge gulf in performance for different settings levels:

Exactly, let's not kid ourselves that the console version of MH was running at max settings.

Top Bottom