• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Switch Remake - Absolutely Unmissable

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Actually, as somebody who was gaming at 120fps back then quite easily, yeah, people complained. But standards on console back then were nowhere near what they are now. Things change, things evolve.

stickkidsam

Framerate is significantly more important than story as it directly interferes with input times for the player. I get more worked up at people who prioritise story, which is completely irrelevant to the actual 'game' part of being a game.
Frame rate being FUNCTIONAL is significantly more important in terms of the actual "game" part sure, but that isn't really an issue here. Yet no matter how mild the drops, you will always see people talking about a gorgeous game like it's unplayable because of some frame rate issues that can be easily overlooked to the untrained eye.

I mean everyone has their priorities; it makes sense. Standards help keep the improvement train movin'. What's weird is that games have blasted off at the speed of fucking light within a couple decades but our collective memory only goes back a couple years, so people don't appreciate it. With that perspective, a lot of complaints about technical issues seem ridiculous.

MacReady13

I played the game for a few hours yesterday. Whilst the frame drops are an annoyance, in no way did it hinder the gameplay for me at all. Game was perfectly playable and I am having an absolute blast with it! Haven't played it since the original version on Game Boy so it feels completely fresh for me! Stunning game that, hopefully with a patch, they can fix the annoying frame rate issues.

McCheese

Refunded the game, framerate is completely unacceptable, it's jumping around so much you can't even walk for a few seconds without the scrolling juddering and generally feeling like an alpha pre-release. I really regret listening to digital foundry on this one, it honestly isn't worth buying until they at least say if they are planning on fixing it.

I wonder if they should have implemented breaks in the world to limit the amount of streamed content as that seems to be the bottleneck from what people say. However, can a correlation be made for the frame rate drops when getting close to a different region?

Top Bottom