• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Zelda Game Boy Games coming to Nintendo Switch Online

Draugoth

Gold Member

Explore even more lands overflowing with mystery, magic, and The Legend of Zelda series charm on the Nintendo Switch system. Two classic Game Boy Color adventures – The Legend of Zelda™: Oracle of Ages™ and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons™ – are now playable for everyone with a Nintendo Switch Online membership as part of the Game Boy™ – Nintendo Switch Online library.

SCB3

Oh a nice surprise, I only played Seasons so to be able to play both through fully will be fun

Paltheos

never played, are both different? If there's a connection how does it work?

Yes. Each game has a different central gimmick. Oracle of Ages gives you a harp that lets you travel back and forth between time, at various locations and ways depending on your progress, and Oracle of Seasons gives you a rod that lets you change seasons... on tree stumps?

You get access to more seasons to switch to as the game moves on. The time travel gimmick is pretty straightforward but just as a successor to Link's Awakening the game is well-designed. The season gimmick lets you do all sorts of things like climb vines that grow only in the summer or walk across lakes that have frozen over in the winter.

There are linked game bonuses for completing one game and then playing the other. I'll avoid spoiling exactly what.

Neat thing about these games is that they were developed by Capcom and not Nintendo.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh hot damn! These are both great games that I’ve been meaning to play again. Awesome.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yes. Each game has a different central gimmick. Oracle of Ages gives you a harp that lets you travel back and forth between time, at various locations and ways depending on your progress, and Oracle of Seasons gives you a rod that lets you change seasons... on tree stumps?

You get access to more seasons to switch to as the game moves on. The time travel gimmick is pretty straightforward but just as a successor to Link's Awakening the game is well-designed. The season gimmick lets you do all sorts of things like climb vines that grow only in the summer or walk across lakes that have frozen over in the winter.

There are linked game bonuses for completing one game and then playing the other. I'll avoid spoiling exactly what.

Neat thing about these games is that they were developed by Capcom and not Nintendo.
In addition to this one of the games is heavily puzzle focussed, and the other is heavily combat focussed.

StueyDuck

Considering these are basically the only Zelda games I haven't completed this is great news to me (no the cdi games don't count 🤣)

After this it'll just be spirit tracks or whatever the ds game was with the train

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I played one of these when it came out and I felt like I was stuck somehwere. I know its virtually impossible to get stuck in a Zelda game but I think somehow I did it. It pissed me off so I never came back. Would love to give them another try.

Didn't really enjoy these ones. Too much RNG in some parts (good luck getting that piece of heart from the witch flying around, or the one from planting seeds).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I will once again get on my soapbox that these are two of the best, and most underrated, games in the franchise. If you like Link's Awakening at all you absolutely should try both because they feel like the spiritual successors given the tileset. Just really great all-round, unique qualities and system to both, excellent dungeons, music, side activities, And Nintendo didn't even make them.

Didn't really enjoy these ones. Too much RNG in some parts (good luck getting that piece of heart from the witch flying around, or the one from planting seeds).

Ehh, it's two pieces of heart in the whole game and you can do things to farm them if you really must have that final heart. The ring system isn't designed to be "completed" either unless you're a maniac. Not games for completionists but that's kinda signposted by the fact that you choose one unique companion from three each game anyway, same with the baby that follows a different life path with different outcomes depending on your actions.

Disco Dave

These were some of the first games I purchased when I got my GBA. Absolutely loved them.

Will they be available on e-shop or locked behind NSO?

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
oh fuck yes. I had Seasons and my brother had Ages growing up. We were kids, so I never realized there was a 'true' ending for beating both. Can't wait to do it.

Disco Dave

New to Switch?

All the virtual machines are only available with NSO.
I'll be honest, Switch isn't my "go to" machine for gaming. I know little about how Nintendo operate its Online services.

Good to know its locked behind a subscription. On that basis, I'll pass on this collection and likely run it through an emulator at some point.

Dr. Suchong

Playing the shit out of these as soon as I can!
I wanted physical copies of them but they're hard to find and extortionately priced when you do.

Woopah

I wish Nintendo would let Capcom do another one, all of their Zelda games were fantastic
A lot of the Flagship team at Capcom ended up at Nintendo.

For example, the Oracle games were the first Zelda titles worked on by Hidemaro Fujibayashi, who went on to be the Director of BOTW and TOTK.

Top Bottom