• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PS5 vs PC in Assassin's Creed Valhalla

In the PC space, we call this "cherry picking". Lately, Red and Green have gotten a little better at not choosing the best-case in order to avoid backlash. They'll still accompany the game benchies with weird "times X compared to lasted xx model!!!" and other hype.

Ubi non-RT, PS5/XSX = 5700XT
Ubi RT, XSX/PS5 = 2060S

This is exactly what was expected.

So 10.28TF RDNA2 (PS5) = 9.75TF RDNA1

Who are you fooling, guy?

Romulus

Imagine what exclusive games are going to look like on this thing when devs like Guerilla and ND get to push it.

So many of Sony's first-party games looked incredible on a shitty tablet CPU with a crap GPU that was bottlenecked to hell and back.

I remember a reddit thread where people were saying that Horizon ZD gameplay was running on high-end PCs lol and I was playing the exact same scene on my TV. Looked identical.

Last edited:
One thing they didn't mention that its not fair is that after recent patch the opening cutscene on ps5 dropped by 5 frames or so. So this is also another point thats not really fair for ps5 cause this is the scene they used. Still matching 2080 super is great results and it will only get better

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you are seeing that. I see nearly 96% GPU usage and I have a 3090. Of course, I'm maxing out all the pixel footprint running at native 4k.
CPU was 25-36%, not GPU. GPU was like 96% as well, but still had almost 2 gb of available VRAM. This was at 1440p with everything turn up to ultra-high.

Popup

I'm definitely going to drive back into PC at some point as, in the past I spent years investing in high-end rigs but mostly these days I like to think of myself as a retired gamer!

The reasons for this can largely be demonstrated by looking at the OT for a game that launches on multiple platforms. By page 20 for the console game, everyone is talking about unlocking the last achievements and how much they enjoyed the game. By page 20 on the PC page, most people are still trying to get the game running right, like a dog spinning round trying to get comfortable in it's bed.

I must admit, that's something I really used to enjoy and still miss it to a certain degree but I am mostly happy with the compromises made on a fixed platform, lettting the developers sweat to try and get it running right.

In that regard, it's also nice to see the optimisations and strides made during the life cycle of the console and how developers can squeeze a surprising amount of performance how to such a platform when they cannot lean and rely on their audiences upgrading their hardware.

I still own and enjoy a commodore 64 for these sorts of reasons. There are still gains being made on that platform, even today.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
bCX0xlR.jpg

Yup, doesn't make sense at all.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
  • Clothes animation on the PS5 is always below 60fps where on the PC they moves at the same frame rate as the screen.
  • In terms of grass density the PS5 is above the highest settings of the PC version as there is no "Ultra High" option on PC.
Good thing you can tweak the clothes up on ps5. oh wait...
Bad thing you can't tweak the grass up on pc. oh wait...

Consoles are all about value in the gaming space. A few months ago a 2080S was 700$.

For 399$, you get an entire system. And before you come up and start talking mad shit about 399$ being the DE, please get your ass out the room, because nobody believes you're buying boxed games for your PC.

Case in point:
You never get to choose how your games play though. Very few mods well. It's like 75% a gaming system.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Don't argue with him about pc . Everyone knows him already here well enough. He used to say ps5 is around 1080 earlier this year 😅

The PS5 does perform at a 1080Ti level. You can do the conversion from 1080Ti -> 2080 yourself. Here is another time that you guys like to piss me off with trying to discredit an accurate statement I made from a friend I have who worked in the industry (at ND for Christ's sake) that told me this when everyone else was telling you out-of-this-world specs that you guys had hardons for. Stop doing that shit.

Last edited:
The PS5 does perform at a 1080Ti level. You can do the conversion from 1080Ti -> 2080 yourself. Here is another time that you guys like to piss me off with trying to discredit an accurate statement I made from a friend I have who worked in the industry that told me this when everyone else was telling you out-of-this-world specs that you guys had hardons for. Stop doing that shit.
U know nothing and you have been banned from era because of pretending .ps5 performs like 2080s here . Nice try, trying to deflect. Don't reply. Bye

THEAP99

Banned
No. That's FUD and completely false.
U sure? I mean look at the jump Suckerpunch had from second son to tsushima. clearly a lot more going on in the game. same goes with uncharted 4 to tlou2 or killzone to horizon. So it's also FUD that the series x needs to wait for more maturity?

VFXVeteran

Banned
U know nothing and you have been banned from era because of pretending .ps5 performs like 2080s here . Nice try, trying to deflect. Don't reply. Bye

Don't I know way more than you. I don't give a shit about ERA.. who the fuck cares. And a 1080Ti is very close to a 2080 (or 2060S for that matter) performance. My friend's claim was more accurate than anything else ANYONE was saying. And you know why? Because he developed for them!

Don't I know way more than you. I don't give a shit about ERA.. who the fuck cares. And a 1080Ti is very close to a 2080 (or 2060S for that matter) performance. My friend's claim was more accurate than anything else ANYONE was saying. And you know why? Because he developed for them!
I didn't say u care about them . They banned u caused the caught u pretending to know. Repeat with me . You know nothing.

Still waiting for that PS5 pro lmao

VFXVeteran

Banned
U sure? I mean look at the jump Suckerpunch had from second son to tsushima.

You can't "look" at a game and then claim "that company must have mastered the PS5 because look at all of this foliage!!" What kind of shit is that? You either come up with concrete evidence to prove your claim or don't make the claim.

clearly a lot more going on in the game. same goes with uncharted 4 to tlou2 or killzone to horizon. So it's also FUD that the series x needs to wait for more maturity?

That's your mistake without knowing any of the programming specifics. You simply aren't qualified to make that claim. Looking at the rendering details, I'm telling you from experience that there is no technical "mastery" of the hardware from early gen to late gen that a developer suddenly had to learn. They may have been working on something better than before but that could be applied to all of their hardware. It's 99% of the time NOT because they figured out how to make their graphics engine use x number of registers faster than they knew how from day one.

THEAP99

Banned
You can't "look" at a game and then claim "that company must have mastered the PS5 because look at all of this foliage!!" What kind of shit is that? You either come up with concrete evidence to prove your claim or don't make the claim.

That's your mistake without knowing any of the programming specifics. You simply aren't qualified to make that claim. Looking at the rendering details, I'm telling you from experience that there is no technical "mastery" of the hardware from early gen to late gen that a developer suddenly had to learn. They may have been working on something better than before but that could be applied to all of their hardware. It's 99% of the time NOT because they figured out how to make their graphics engine use x number of registers faster than they knew how from day one.
ok then i hope that spiderman sequel doesn't have any technical advancements over miles morales then

Kholinar

Banned
Yes I do.

The geometry engine could be being used yes. Especially if it's an integral part of the graphics pipeline (i.e. you MUST go through it in order to process vertices.).

Yes, I do. It is not much different than the PS4 development environment and the SDK is absolutely very similar. The RT is the different tech that needs to be mastered as well as the I/O. Eveyrthing else will have to just "work" with the developers graphics engine. We make our graphics engine complete devoid of the hardware spec. We have to because hardware specs change.

Not as much as people like to think. Killzone, The Order 1866, Infamous, etc.. is not much inferior to the launch games of the PS5 today. There is no tech in the new games that supercedes those games from the PS4 days. PBR shaders are still the same. Shadows, Volumetric clouds, anisotropic filtering, foliage rendering, animations, water, etc.. are all THE SAME! The techniques to render them are all STILL THE SAME.

GoW isn't doing anything MORE technically than KZ:SF. like AT ALL! The sole reason why you think GoW "blows" KZ:SF out of the water is purely for aesthetic reasons. NOT because of technology reasons.

This topic doesn't have to be complicated if you guys were honest with yourselves.

PS3->PS4 hardware techniques were vastly different. That forced developers to get accustomed to the new paradigm and different architecture.

PS4->PS5 is NOT THE SAME AS BEFORE. Period. They are more alike than ever before.

ASSUMING THIS WILL CONTINUE FROM GENERATION TO GENERATION just to give yourself a big wishful hope of even better visuals is completely delusional. We don't follow the SAME PATTERN of development forever. It will not FOREVER always be EVERY GENERATION that developers "have to get familar" with the hardware. You guys need to embrace this change.

This man delusional. You probably think the ugly ass Beenox Spider-Man games were maxing out PS4 hardware too when the Insomniac game outclasses it both aesthetically and technically in every level. I'm sorry, but I'd rather appeal to reality because no developer is maxing out the hardware this early on. Hell, we can already see developers perform better at utilising the hardware than others, such as Miles Morales and Demon Souls looking far better compared to Ubisoft games.

I'll have to ask again, you really think both Insomniac - a first party developer with only 1 SKU to cater to- and Ubisoft - a developer who has to optimise their games for like 8 SKUs - are squeezing every bit of juice out of the hardware in equal capacity? I doubt you've ever worked with a console before.

Last edited:
As usual when comparing different GPU's you have to look at multiple games to get the whole picture.

So far we have 2060 S outperforming PS5 in WD: Legion and now PS5 outperforming Nvidia 2080 in highly AMD favourable game. Btw somehow 5700 XT keeps up with PS5 in Valhalla. Shouldn't PS5 be way much faster than 5700 XT ?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
On the PC you really can't buy physical copies so there's no need for a disk drive. Although games tend to be cheaper on PC.

It's really difficult to build a PC for 399$ that's on par with a PS5.
Difficult? I thought it was impossible as pc does not have deals for mass hardware aquisition like console makers and no subsidy. And also because no one should expect to buy a much more usefull machine for the same price.
when 5700xt = 2080ti. w.t.f :messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:
Ubiport. Nothing new for their games.

Last edited:

Darius87

You're right, let's give Sony fans at least one thread to indulge in eco chamber shenanigans.

At least one.
sony fans all over the place, everywhere, everytime sonygaf, seriously paranoia must be your friend:

a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically elaborated into an organized system. It may be an aspect of chronic personality disorder, of drug abuse, or of a serious condition such as schizophrenia in which the person loses touch with reality.

just let people enjoy what they like FFS.

This man delusional. You probably think the ugly ass Beenox Spider-Man games were maxing out PS4 hardware too when the Insomniac game outclasses it both aesthetically and technically in every level. I'm sorry, but I'd rather appeal to reality because no developer is maxing out the hardware this early on. Hell, we can already see developers perform better at utilising the hardware than others, such as Miles Morales and Demon Souls looking far better compared to Ubisoft games.

I'll have to ask again, you really think both Insomniac - a first party developer with only 1 SKU to cater to- and Ubisoft - a developer who has to optimise their games for like 8 SKUs - are squeezing every bit of juice out of the hardware in equal capacity? I doubt you've ever worked with a console before.
You just said it yourself. The hardware doesn't change. The engines do. In 5 years games will look better because more efficient engines and techniques. But in 5 years I can buy a new 5060ti for 400 that will make the same ps5 games look like dog shit. That hardware is fixed and maxed right now. Engines are what changes.

As usual when comparing different GPU's you have to look at multiple games to get the whole picture.

So far we have 2060 S outperforming PS5 in WD: Legion and now PS5 outperforming Nvidia 2080 in highly AMD favourable game. Btw somehow 5700 XT keeps up with PS5 in Valhalla. Shouldn't PS5 be way much faster than 5700 XT ?
Threads like this are entertaining for that exact reason. All the cheerleaders come out and celebrate, yet were in denial about the rtx 2060 thread.

Difficult? I thought it was impossible as pc does not have deals for mass hardware aquisition like console makers and no subsidy. And also because no one should expect to buy a much more usefull machine for the same price.
If you are patient and resourceful you can. I got a 3700x for 40$ last year and a 2060 nearly 2 years ago for 220, gold PSU for 35, noktua 12s for 10$, 16gb good RAM for 60... Canadian

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I agree with that since I built my PC and it smokes last gen systems.

The PS5 is still one heck of a value at 399$ though.

Its the versatility I crave the most. I despise dynamic resolution, depth of field, chromatic aberration, motion blur, and sometimes even antialiasing. I dont want none of that shit forced on me neither. I want to control the experience.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
First of all, it's worth pointing out that we may well see very different results for very different games. In assessing Watch Dogs Legion, I came to the conclusion that Xbox Series X could be matched by a PC running an Nvidia RTX 2060 Super - mostly owing to the onerous demands of ray tracing, an area where GeForce hardware has a clear advantage.

With Assassin's Creed Valhalla
, we see something very different. First of all, the game doesn't seem to run that well on Nvidia kit, and there's no RT in use, nullifying a key GeForce advantage. Meanwhile, AMD seems to fare significantly better. By our reckoning a Radeon RX 5700XT should get very close to the PS5 experience.
These are stock results for 2060S in Legion and 5700XT in Valhalla, with OC you can tack another ~5-7% boost. If the 6700-series(36/40CU) can really get up to 2.5GHz+ like rumors and aib 6800XT OC results show, then they'll be a great card for the masses.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
If you are patient and resourceful you can. I got a 3700x for 40$ last year and a 2060 nearly 2 years ago for 220, gold PSU for 35, noktua 12s for 10$, 16gb good RAM for 60... Canadian
2060 is not really on par with ps5 (maybe it is while using RT). But even if you can get that luck it is not an option here in my fucked country.

2060 is not really on par with ps5 (maybe it is while using RT). But even if you can get that luck it is not an option here in my fucked country.
Yeah I was building 3 computers at once so my budget was limited. Now my kids can buy their own upgrades if they want so in 6 months I'll get a 3060ti for 300$ and sell the 2060 for the 200 I paid

VFXVeteran

Banned

I'm not engaging in you anymore. I've given you valid objective reasoning and you are now just bashing me just because you disagree. Believe that every developer is a dummy and needs to "master" the same API they used in a previous generation all you want to make you feel like the PS5 has more "power" to be had above what is already being done. I look forward to the native 4k/60FPS games with RT enabled.

killatopak

You just said it yourself. The hardware doesn't change. The engines do. In 5 years games will look better because more efficient engines and techniques. But in 5 years I can buy a new 5060ti for 400 that will make the same ps5 games look like dog shit. That hardware is fixed and maxed right now. Engines are what changes.
There’d be a PS5 Pro by then and it’ll be the same.

Truespeed

Kind of curious as to why Alex didn't include the XSX in the video. It would be very interesting to see how it does against the PC. Hopefully, that's a WIP.

Top Bottom