• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PS5 vs PC in Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Elios83

Choosing a particular stress point on PlayStation 5 - which drops beneath 60fps and hits the minimum 1440p resolution - I could run the PC version fixed at 1440p with as close to equivalent settings as possible. And here's where we see the Nvidia vs AMD divide in action. First of all, RTX 2060 Super is 20 per cent slower than PlayStation 5, dropping to 10 per cent with an RTX 2070 Super. Based on tests with a 2080 Ti, it looks like a 2080 Super or RTX 3060 Ti would be required to match or exceed PlayStation 5's output.

Seems like this game generally favours AMD over nVidia.
Still incredible results for a 399/499$ box.

Evilms

Banned
optimised_settings.jpg

"The second conclusion is that the relatively low resolution on PlayStation 5 makes sense since it is operating with most of the PC settings maxed out. "

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
I'm sorry to break the bubble but on a distant mountain in a muddy screenshot of a compressed YouTube video the PS5 looks like it is using similar settings to Xbox Series S. /s
This one scene from Norway, i believe. Looks to be winter time. You can see clearly the Series S and PS5 have a similar rock image. Series X does not. Maybe if it's shown to them, can identify the cause?
Ug1SNBZ.png

Last edited:
I think Jason Schreier was the first person, to my memory, who said that according to devs PS5 will be around a 2080. And that was thought to be crazy at the time, but it's pretty much spot on.
A lot of folks don’t take into account the customization that goes into the SoC’s that power the PS5 and Series X. People want to cling on to their PC Master Race mentality and not realize they can buy an Xbox or a PlayStation for less than a GPU and enjoy performance that is at the same level or better.

2080 level base performance this early and these consoles aren’t even close to being maxed out yet. Incredible.
That is what excites me most. Wait until developers totally understand how to get the most of of Xbox and PlayStation. I just hope this gen we see a return to more interactive worlds. We have the IO throughout and CPU grunt to do it this gen as opposed to last.

Elios83

2080 level base performance this early and these consoles aren’t even close to being maxed out yet. Incredible.

Yes the best thing is that this is just the starting point.
It's good to see consoles competing with high end stuff on PC. Last gen those Jaguar CPUs were so weak....and yet developers could eventually make amazing games. This time it will be even better.

Tqaulity

Just another piece of validation. I've been saying PS5 GPU is ~RTX 2080 Super (RTX2080 minimum) for nearly a year now! You'd be surprised that some of us on here actually know what we are talking about :messenger_beaming: (as someone who has worked on gaming hardware for well over a decade)

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Vegetation LOD higher than pc on ultra. Jeez. Thanks to God such bandwidth should give bottlenecks lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom