• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Immortals of Aveum PS5/Xbox Series X/S: Unreal Engine 5 is Pushed Hard - And Image Quality Suffers

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
just out of curiosity I tested FSR 2.1 in resident Evil 4.
I finished the game at 4k with fsr2 quality preset.
I turned it down to ultra performance like immortals and it doesn't looks too bad. Obviously blurry but fsr2 resolves surprisingly good. And not as much motion artificing as in release version of forespoken on ps5 which had very bad fsr2.1 on release in motion.

So I am not defending it. I think 1080p should be BARE minimum for fsr2 but honestly, resolution is not so important these days due to these new techniques.
Resident evil at 4k with ultra performance fsr 2.1 beats any 1080p game image qulity from ps4.

Pedro Motta

Hmm... you seems right... I pic each screen at 4K on this video and all are

Look the hand on the bottom right

DlN3SQN.png

mWw1HM6.png

gYeU0XC.png

qSuEfSK.png

jCiNTGy.png

At least, maybe is DRS or 1366x768 on PS5 native resolution (wich is not great anyway), but that's explain the framerate difference.
Once again DF completely missing such an important and clear detail, PS5 is in fact way sharper.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I thought Nanite meant the end of pop in, yet I'm seeing some in the video. Why is that ?
Dynamic geometry pop in while adjusting mesh polygons counts based on camera view, I'm seeing it since UE5 Demos and it's kinda distracting, and I'm not that delicate with those details

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Once again DF completely missing such an important and clear detail, PS5 is in fact way sharper.
This is exactly the same statement I saw in some other comparison (that ps5 is sharper)

edit: Either way ps5 is the only option for me. I ain't installing any EA launcher or epic launcher (for upcoming Alan Wake 2 by the way)

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
just out of curiosity I tested FSR 2.1 in resident Evil 4.
I finished the game at 4k with fsr2 quality preset.
I turned it down to ultra performance like immortals and it doesn't looks too bad. Obviously blurry but fsr2 resolves surprisingly good. And not as much motion artificing as in release version of forespoken on ps5 which had very bad fsr2.1 on release in motion.

So I am not defending it. I think 1080p should be BARE minimum for fsr2 but honestly, resolution is not so important these days due to these new techniques.
Resident evil at 4k with ultra performance fsr 2.1 beats any 1080p game image qulity from ps4.
They're probably using TSR before FSR, so double upscaling or whatever, I think the problem the studio lack of competence or time to optimize this game anyway

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's not raw 720p like on PS3, but utilizing advanced reconstruction technics that bring the image to about PS4 quality. It's not the best image in the world, but it's not that bad.
These techniques make 720p look better than early 1080p ps4 games.
For example, look at driveclub or bloodborne. 1080p aliased hell. But fsr helps with AA and resolve to higher res... to some degree.
I don't think it looks better than let's say uncharted 4 TAA image quality

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
What's telling is that one of the backdrops in IOA (The orange looking one) isn't too far off on visual cue from Bulletstorm, a 12 year old game:

ss_c4384ca87a9f09729e2290d6cf278645c0084659.jpg

Ofcourse geometric density and detail is vastly different in IOA, but it reminded me of it.

IOA can look stunning, but in their quest for 60 fps, the IQ takes a nosedive completely unworthy of each console. 720p on XSX/PS5 is terrible, and 436p on Series S brings me back to 2000, where i ran games at 800x600 and 1024x768, which is higher res than Series S does.

I love some of the art design, but the technical sample showcases there is a lot of work to do for UE5 to become a hit there.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Thank god I have invested in gaming PC, so can experience games in proper quality. Even mid gen refresh will not be a big enough boost to make these latest games run properly.
You can enjoy that "ea app" even today!
Fox Death GIF by Animation Domination High-Def

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I'm thinking Lumen is perhaps what tanks performance. They should have relied on baked lighting considering this doesn't seem to have dynamic TOD and it would have saved enormously on performance. I understand they're a tiny studio so perhaps they didn't have the resources for that or it would have looked worse but all those effects at once need to be pared back (especially the crazy particle explosions) or needed more time in the oven.

Hudo

A brand new Unreal Engine 5.1 title lands in immortals of Aveum - a debut project from Ascendant Studios who make the most of features like nanite and lumen. The turnout on a tech level is one of the most fascinating games we've seen on PS5, Series X and S to date. However there are technical shortcomings, with image quality in particular taking a hit in order to target 60 frames per second on each console.

Summary - We need Pro Consoles

More power cannot save you that much from bad choice of algortihms/bad optimizations.

I usually just avoid anything with Unreal engine; it seems (since the 360 era) like the only exceptions are the developers who take the time to tinker with the engine to make it suit their needs in order to get good results on consoles. Like the Batman Arkham games for example, we’re heavily modified UE3 and ran great on console. If it’s just a game made made straight on the engine with no modifications shit like this happens.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
I wouldn't mind seeing the base resolution take a dive if the game looked a generation ahead of the rest, but... this looks pretty middle-of-the-road.

All this power-hungry tech and no big difference - we got PBR land AO ast gen and it literally transformed the look of games.

Demon Souls and HFW both look far ahead of this and have far better IQ.

Last edited:
But we are not getting that thus we need more power
There are consequences for poor work in a free market.

Studios and developers shouldn't be rewarded with the opportunity to perpetually push out poor work.

The consequences are less people will buy this game and others, and then the studio and the developers will be left to face reality.

Maybe they go out of business, and that's okay.

Bojji

It's not raw 720p like on PS3, but utilizing advanced reconstruction technics that bring the image to about PS4 quality. It's not the best image in the world, but it's not that bad.

FSR2 is not advanced enough to make 720p resolution look ok on 4K screen (DLSS can somewhat do that), it looks bad in anything but quality mode (1440p).

Remnant at least use TSR so this 720p resolution doesn't look like that most of the time, why this devs didn't use it and went with bad FSR here?

Mr Moose

Different reflections (10:10). Did he say anything about it? I am not wearing headphones.
Edit:I guess so, there was red boxes a few seconds later lol.

Last edited:
So UE5 is not the golden bullet as it was marketed.
Interesting. I saw other comparison with ps5 looking sharper and running faster but it was just some dude so figures...

I am interested in playing this game but 70$ for this bad technical showcase and not even hdr? idk about that.
PC version might fare better with 3080 for sure but there are so many reports of stuttering and bad performance. It at least runs somewhat stutter free on ps5 according to impressions.

Not even DLSS could do 720p well.... maybe UE built in trs like in matrix demo....
DLSS would be super blurred at 720p. FSR2.0 is super pixelated at 720p. Pick your poison...
It absolutely is a golden bullet, assuming you give it to the right hands which in this game's case is the complete opposite. Also, we are still early in the generation, developers, especially indie and 3rd party are gonna need more time to truly take advantage of it.

Do you honestly thing that magic can just happen for the first time when someone gets their hands on new tech? The PS4 didn't even reach its full potential until TLOU 2 came out in 2020.

I don't understand why people just expect perfection 24/7. I don't believe majority of people here have a clue how game dev works. Lol.

Bojji

It absolutely is a golden bullet, assuming you give it to the right hands which in this game's case is the complete opposite. Also, we are still early in the generation, developers, especially indie and 3rd party are gonna need more time to truly take advantage of it.

Do you honestly thing that magic can just happen for the first time when someone gets their hands on new tech? The PS4 didn't even reach its full potential until TLOU 2 came out in 2020.

I don't understand why people just expect perfection 24/7. I don't believe majority of people here have a clue how game dev works. Lol.

TLoU2 is proprietary engine and you can see last gen and (so far) this gen devs using proprietary engines achieved better results then the ones using middle ware. TLoU1 looks better than most games released this gen and runs 1440p 70+ FPS on PS5, Ratchet and Horizon also look (and run) much better than UE4/5 games.

UE5 is a resource hog, so far it doesn't produce good results on this consoles. I completed Fort Solis on PC today, Nanite and Lumen etc. but this game doesn't look much better than UE4 games in reality, lumen also creates many artifacts with lighting AND game is heavy as fuck to run.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

if it was a golden bullet, the dev hands wouldn't matter too much. Only art.
But these are seemingly experienced devs too.
Anyway - yeah, it is early for the engine and it's use here

Romulus

I'm not even sure running on a future 5000 series GPU running this ultra max everything and 200fps could save it from the real problem. It's trying to be a graphical showcase and those just don't exist anymore.
The artstyle is great in terms of environments and allows the devs to show off some cool stuff, the problem is there's nothing to show off anymore. There are no real advancements that are any sort of jump. The fakery of these effects and methods have been bridging the gap for years by the time the real thing is here onscreen it means nothing now. Just looks fine.

Last edited:

Belthazar

720p for current-gen is bad enough... But under PS2-era resolution for Series S must be a new low for a AAA game, isn't it?

I've been advocating for not chasing 4k, as it's a waste. But I feel 1080p should be the minimum. The game is gorgeous, but it's kinda lost when you lose so much detail in the upscaling process.

Mr Moose

Cataferal 12 minutes ago

Hello! Sorry absolutely right, it is sharper on PS5. I've updated the article here to reflect the point - it's a fair criticism, and my fault for leaning on the numbers too much.
The data is correct (both are 720p native in every shot tested), but the figures only really explain so much. It could be any number of factors: different post processing, AMD's CAS, or even VRS. I'm now asking the team what the reason is for the difference.
Curiously it's also noted that PS5 resolves with a sharper image overall, despite sharing the same base resolution with Series X - a point that possibly suggests a different post-processing treatment between the two. Even more notable is the state of Xbox Series S. Again this version targets 60fps - and resorts to FSR 2 scaling to get there. The base resolution here though comes in at around 768x436, resulting in a much blurrier image, and even more pixel breakup than the other two machines.
A comparison gallery for your viewing pleasure. While Xbox Series X and PS5 are effectively identical in their native resolutions it appears PS5's final frame resolves to sharper image overall. Meanwhile the axe comes down hard on Series S in terms of both resolution, detail and settings.

Last edited:

KillaJamm

People bitch about 60fps so much.....well there you go.
Eat you dogs!

Metro Enhanced has RTGI other devs probably need to see how 4A managed to get RTGI at 60fps ~at 1080-1800p.
Granted Metro has much lower geometry detail and texture quality.

resize

hq720.jpg
This, still one of the best looking games released on current gen to this day and it runs pretty much flawlessly. What is going on with some of these new releases I don't know.

intbal

MSAA doesn’t work well with deferred rendering, that why it stopped being used after the PS360 era. Forza Horizon 5 still uses a forward renderer which is why it works fine on it.
Remedy doesn't have a problem with it at all.
Northlight is a deferred renderer. Quantum Break featured 4xMSAA.

Top Bottom