• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Immortals of Aveum PS5/Xbox Series X/S: Unreal Engine 5 is Pushed Hard - And Image Quality Suffers

Wth is this shadow quality on the S lol!?

image.png

So UE5 is utter shit in the end. No wonder we waited so long to see some real games running on it.
Has nothing to do with UE5 being shit or not. The studio has made bad decision, first a lack of skill when it comes to optimization. 2nd the decision to stick with 60fps no matter what and not offer multiple graphical modes.

Go look at Fortnite running on UE 5.2 that game blows everything out in the water, especially on PC running at max. Runs super smooth and almost looks like a Pixar quality film. But the difference is that it's made by Epic themselves, so of course it will look great and play well because it's made by people who created the engine in the first place.

Doczu

Anyone wanna take a crack at the summary? I am indisposed for a few hours and can't watch the video at the moment.
Here's my take:

UE 5 yet again shows that with cross gen games coming to an end console gamers should prepare to be fucked like never before. And no amount of crying about lazy devs will help them overcome the <1080p/30fps hell that awaits.

Oh and Series S should blow a fuse to spare it from having Switch resolutions.

SomeGit

MSAA completely breaks in scenes with high geometric details. It simply isn't viable with the current visual complexity of games anymore sadly. Might work in some instances (I believe Forza still does it pretty well), but otherwise, it really stopped being effective towards the end of the PS360 era.

MSAA doesn’t work well with deferred rendering, that why it stopped being used after the PS360 era. Forza Horizon 5 still uses a forward renderer which is why it works fine on it.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Anyone that said that the IQ looks ok in the review thread or OT is hereby disqualified from talking about DLSS from this date forward.

FSR looks like absolute shit from these resolutions.
TBF I don't think DLSS would look much better than FSR in the same scenario, the internal resolution is just too low and output resolution is 4K even on Series S, which is dumb...

squarealex

Anyone wanna take a crack at the summary? I am indisposed for a few hours and can't watch the video at the moment.

- No Quality or 30fps mode
- All machines target 60fps
- PS5 : 1280x720 --> 4k Reconstruction via FSR 2.1 Performance when you Output 4K
- PS5 : 1280x720 --> 1080p Reconstruction via FSR 2.1 Quality when you Output 1080p, IQ is the same on both resolution mode.
- Series X : 1280x720 --> 4k Reconstruction via FSR 2.1
- Series S : 768x438 --> 4k Reconstruction via FSR 2.1
- Series S cut many thing like foilage, textures, SSR, ambient oclusion, alpha volumetric
- PS5 / XSX have frame drops when there are too many action / explosion on screen, or too much "magik" effect, scripted moment have not perfect and sometimes on cinematique
- XSX have advantage of 5-8 fps than the PS5
- PS5 have better menu screen with better SSR and AO (wow)
- XSS runs better than the XSX and PS5. But it also the worst IQ of the 3
- No difference for PS5 / XSX

Last edited:

Leonidas

- PS5 : 1280x720 --> 4k Reconstruction via FSR 2.1 Performance when you Output 4K
- PS5 : 1280x720 --> 1080p Reconstruction via FSR 2.1 Quality when you Output 1080p, IQ is the same on both resolution mode.
- Series S cut many thing like foilage, textures, SSR, ambiant oclusion, alpha volumetric
- PS5 / XSX have frame drops when there are too many action / explosion on screen, or too much "magik" effect, scripted moment have not perfect and sometimes on cinematique
- XSS runs better than the XSX and PS5.
I'm lovin' it :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Glad to see developers pushing these consoles, hope more games end up like this, reconstruction is the future :messenger_sunglasses:

Darsxx82

Games with UE5 that look and work outstanding on consoles will be a matter of Epic itself, first parties (The Coalition, Ninja Theory...) and some big 3rd party Studios with big budgets (CDP, Eidos, CrystalDinamics...) .

That is, the same situation as the last generation with UE4.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So UE5 is not the golden bullet as it was marketed.
Interesting. I saw other comparison with ps5 looking sharper and running faster but it was just some dude so figures...

I am interested in playing this game but 70$ for this bad technical showcase and not even hdr? idk about that.
PC version might fare better with 3080 for sure but there are so many reports of stuttering and bad performance. It at least runs somewhat stutter free on ps5 according to impressions.

Not even DLSS could do 720p well.... maybe UE built in trs like in matrix demo....
DLSS would be super blurred at 720p. FSR2.0 is super pixelated at 720p. Pick your poison...

Last edited:

MikeM

UE5 seems to have been released way too early. Not every game needs to be a “can it run Crysis” moment. 720p baseline?

Bring me back cross gen.

Bojji

TBF I don't think DLSS would look much better than FSR in the same scenario, the internal resolution is just too low and output resolution is 4K even on Series S, which is dumb...

I tried ultra performance dlss to see how it works and it can actually look quite decent on 4k screen depending on the game.

winjer

Gold Member
- Series S cut many thing like foilage, textures, SSR, ambient oclusion, alpha volumetric
- PS5 have better menu screen with better SSR and AO (wow)
- XSS runs better than the XSX and PS5. But it also the worst IQ of the 3
- No difference for PS5 / XSX

Thanks for the summary.
Just found one thing strange, that DF says it's FSR 2.1
But AMD lists this game on PC as being FSR2.2
I doubt the studio would have different versions of FSR2 implemented on consoles and PC.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Pro consoles won't save us, when a 4090 runs this game like shit. Even a pro console, instead of base res of 720p, you will get 900p base or maybe 1080p base. But that is with this game, now, not a UE5 game from 2025 that will be able to push it harder.

Current graphics hardware is not good enough to do all the work these engines are capable of doing. It is almost like every UE5 game is the next Crysis. Granted we have all this gimmicky algorithm shit to mask that reality (and Nvidia sees the announcement of more gimmicky algorithm shit as exciting), but that's how it is. In the 1990s we got new GPU hardware that was ~doubling performance every year, but now we are going to have 2-3 years between generations while the hardware makers push algorithms.
of course pro consoles won't do shit. Just move the goalpost further

diffusionx

Gold Member
So UE5 is not the golden bullet as it was marketed.
Interesting. I saw other comparison with ps5 looking sharper and running faster but it was just some dude so figures...

I am interested in playing this game but 70$ for this bad technical showcase and not even hdr? idk about that.
PC version might fare better with 3080 for sure but there are so many reports of stuttering and bad performance. It at least runs somewhat stutter free on ps5 according to impressions.

Not even DLSS could do 720p well.... maybe UE built in trs like in matrix demo...
Matrix demo came out and looked amazing but ran like absolute shit, 20-30fps at best. I guess some people thought the issue was "muh optimization", but no, an engine pushing lots of fancy and advanced graphics features are going to take up a lot of resources. Then when you add 60fps on top of it, well, something has to give, as always.

You simply cannot push fancy graphical features AND high resolution AND high framerate all at the same time, on a fixed piece of hardware.

Montauk

A brand new Unreal Engine 5.1 title lands in immortals of Aveum - a debut project from Ascendant Studios who make the most of features like nanite and lumen. The turnout on a tech level is one of the most fascinating games we've seen on PS5, Series X and S to date. However there are technical shortcomings, with image quality in particular taking a hit in order to target 60 frames per second on each console.

Summary - We need Pro Consoles

I disagree. I can’t stand all those pro console talk.

Maybe the developers shouldn’t have aimed so high, by using all the UE5 features. They are clearly too demanding for both consoles spec.

It seems very clear for ages now that FS2 is just not up to the job and cannot be relied on. Certainly the devs should know that using it to upscale from 720p is madness.

They needed to: pick a different engine, or use fewer UE5 features, or massively optimise or….I don’t know…wait for FSR3 or something.

The answer to the problems here and with other games being more expensive Pro consoles, that ain’t it.

People want much better performance then they should buy a high end PC. Devs want a higher spec to target then they should make it PC exclusive with high minimum specs.

Either way devs out there need to know that this kind of image quality isn’t going to cut it. I’d rather get less technically advanced graphics and have better image quality.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Gordon Freeman Gordon Freeman is the only one who finished it and posted very nice shots in OT thread.
Maybe You can share some shots here and experiences with technical side of the game ?

edit: It is one of first UE5 games. Maybe it's not mastered?

Last edited:

Doczu

Games with UE5 that look and work outstanding on consoles will be a matter of Epic itself, first parties (The Coalition, Ninja Theory...) and some big 3rd party Studios with big budgets (CDP, Eidos, CrystalDinamics...) .

That is, the same situation as the last generation with UE4.
Care to name a UE4 game than ran at less than 480p last gen?

Hugare

People are really assuming a lot based on the first project of a new, unknown studio that targeted 60 FPS using UE 5

I'm not surprised at all, unfortunately

"We need Pro consoles" or "UE 5 sucks" being thrown around

This discourse is valid, but not based on Immortals of Aveum, ffs

Last edited:

Killer8

Yes, PS5 looks sharper @ 10:15. But I don´t know if this is due to higher resolution or just an artificial sharpening filter.

It might be down to this, the output resolution of the console seems to change the FSR profile used on PS5. Would be interesting to know if a two-step pass of 720p -> 1080p via FSR quality, and then the console upscaling it to 4K, produces better results than FSR upscaling directly from 720p to 4K in ultra performance mode.

Either way it seems something has fucked up in Digital Foundry's testing methods...

Zathalus

Gordon Freeman Gordon Freeman is the only one who finished it and posted very nice shots in OT thread.
Maybe You can share some shots here and experiences with technical side of the game ?
I've not finished it (AC6 took my attention lol) but on PC it has some stuttering (not nearly as bad as Jedi Survivor) and frame generation is utterly broken. Had a few crashes as well. I'm running DLSS quality at 4k with everything maxed out at 80-100fps (no frame generation) but I have a 4090.

Honestly, I'd wait a bit for some patches.

The video says that the Xbox Series X and PS5 both use the same base FSR resolution of 720p, but every single side-by-side shows the PS5 looking considerably sharper.
Yup it's strange they didn't point it out it's painfully obvious at the 9:55 mark

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
It runs terribly on PC too. It's just that you have hardware powerful enough to break through the glaring limitations of the consoles...and the developer.
Yeah if it's just if it's a sign of things to come.
Not for this game, but in general, yes. Games are cheaper and *usually run better on PC.

I built one a few months ago and I'm never going back
I was a PC Gamer up until about Half Life 2/ Doom 3. I started looking at PC's 2 months ago but didn't really think it was worth it today as back in the 90's/ early 2000's you could get games that where only on PC. But if this games visuals are anything to go by (And I'm not to fussy) it will give me that push that I need to get one.

Last edited:

Xyphie

Nothing unexpected really. We've known since the Matrix Demo that 60fps will basically be impossible at reasonable internal resolution on UE5 if you want to use the next-gen features of the engine.

Darsxx82

Care to name a UE4 game than ran at less than 480p last gen?
This is for XSS and yet this version is using FSR2 which has a computational cost. The native equivalent resolution would be ~720-800p. And it is also a game with target 60fps.... In the last generation there are many examples of games at 720p-800p UE4 even with 30fps target.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Thanks for the summary.
Just found one thing strange, that DF says it's FSR 2.1
But AMD lists this game on PC as being FSR2.2
I doubt the studio would have different versions of FSR2 implemented on consoles and PC.
Well, is going to implement FSR 3 anyway so it doesn't matter... they were probably counting on it but AMD didn't have it ready or announced for game release so they had to rely on FSR 2 meanwhile. IDK, that's a possibility, clearly FSR 3 is gonna have IQ improvements, attention is by how much.

winjer

Gold Member
Well, is going to implement FSR 3 anyway so it doesn't matter... they were probably counting on it but AMD didn't have it ready or announced for game release so they had to rely on FSR 2 meanwhile. IDK, that's a possibility, clearly FSR 3 is gonna have IQ improvements, attention is by how much.

But I'm not talking about FSR3. I'm talking about FSR2.2, which has been available since late 2022.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The video says that the Xbox Series X and PS5 both use the same base FSR resolution of 720p, but every single side-by-side shows the PS5 looking considerably sharper.
Sharpening filter perhaps? PS5 version also looks a bit grainier and the effects such as volumetrics appear just as blockier and the shadows noisier.

Audiophile

Base resolutions below 1440p are unacceptable for scaling to 4K with Spatial/Temporal Reconstruction. 1080-1440p is the realm of AI/ML. <1080p is the realm of I'm not buying your game.

We've already been given a nigh-on free doubling of image quality going from ~1/2 res to full res. That's a win. But pushing it down to these levels and trying to get 3-4 times the frame budget savings is just taking it too far. At that point you cut and you optimise. Nanite and Lumen are utterly pointless here because the IQ is so bad I don't give a crap about them and few can even notice they're being used.

Their development time probably would have been much better spent using UE's TSR, a base res of ~1440p, baked lighting or a more standard GI and using standard LOD assets.

Full-fat UE5 isn't quite ready, FSR looks like crap, sub-1440p base resolutions just don't cut it and the game is a subpar effort or a mismanaged one at best.

I see something like this and feel sorry for any passionate devs that spent 5yrs on it... bad choices were made.

Last edited:

Killer8

Nothing unexpected really. We've known since the Matrix Demo that 60fps will basically be impossible at reasonable internal resolution on UE5 if you want to use the next-gen features of the engine.

To that end, i'd go against the grain and say that i'm actually sort of impressed with how this looks on PS5. Wouldn't have expected a console to be able to run the full UE5.1 feature set (Nanite, Niagara, Lumen), at 60fps* with acceptable image quality. VRR likely takes care of most of the frame drops mentioned in the video, as most fall within the 48-60fps window where VRR technology is effective. It's a 720p base resolution but I don't think it's nearly as offensive looking as people say, at least on PS5 (and is absolutely NOT the PS3 level of image quality we had in that generation).

I suspect that a lot of people's issue with the look of the game is more to do with it artistically being quite ugly lol.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Why do you guys act as if games ALWAYS take full advantage of the hardware and we always need better hardware?

How about devs start actually making games to spec instead. Try to do things within a 60 fps refresh like in the old days instead of selling the publisher on a pipe dream that’s 10 fps up until the last month where they just start dumping things to get up to speed.

Last edited:
I wonder if the developers just don't bother to optimize games anymore at this point. With UE5 being closer to the metal, Vulkan and DX12 being closer to the metal, devs seems just abandoned everything aside upscale just not to bother.

But we are not getting that thus we need more power
Who needs optimizations if we can just throw more memory, bigger CPU etc. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I guess when drivers stopped helping developers, we now can see the real skills.

Last edited:
Top Bottom