• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Elden Ring PC Performance Simply Isn't Good Enough

Mithos

Consoles are fixed hardware so it ships with precompiled shaders.

Or at least it used to be… some games on Xbox consoles are compiling in real time like PC… that is probably a by product of Smart Delivery.

The issue with shader compilation is that everybody have a different GPU so games needs to compile all shaders at least once and save in a cache… the game will only do a recompilation if you change your GPU for example.

That shader compilation used to be fine because you have longer load screens where devs used the time to compile the shaders of that level/part of the game.

Now with the drastic decrease in loading times with faster SSDs the devs had no choice to do the compilation in real time… so each first time a shader is compiled generate a freeze of few seconds (usually 1-3s).

You can’t pre compile shaders on Pc due the too many GPU options.
You can pre compile shaders on consoles because it is a fixed hardware (at least on non-Microsoft machines).

So shader compilation is more a issue in PC (and now Xbox due Smart Delivery).

Take in mind that due cache after a shader is compiled once it won’t need to compile again until you change you GPU… so the first time you play a game it will times to times have freezes due that compilation but if you rerun it you won’t have it anymore.

PS. Well if you uninstall all games files and install again the game will need to compile shaders all again… so it just not when you change GPU… if the shader is in the cache you won’t need a new compilation buy if you clear the cache (uninstall) the you new compilation.

Just updating your GPU drivers trigger a new shader recompile in games.
Happened every driver update while I was playing HDZ on PC.

Nydus

I don’t think Gsync is doing anything here since there’s no way to turn off Vsync.
That's not true. Gsync is compatible with vsync. It's even better for gsync if you enable vsync if you have no frameratelimiter.

The YouTube channel Battle(non)sense has some informative videos on it.

ethomaz

Banned
Well, this used to be a problem with Dolphin emulator until the "ubershaders" update fixed it.

So it is possible to precompile even on PC.
It is if you choose to use a generic shaders without optimization or use of newer and better machine code.

Like I said if you have a fixed platform you ship them precompiled… on PC you need to compile at install, losing screens or real-time.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It should not happen unless the driver changed for a new machine code.

That should happen in newer releases games where the nVidia and AMD are still working in driver optimizations level… not so much in old games that already have a fixed optimization.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Cat Balance GIF
Sailor Moon Love GIF

ethomaz

Banned
I don’t think Gsync is doing anything here since there’s no way to turn off Vsync.
That is a typical misconception from G-Sync users.

You should use both G-Sync and VSync… that is the recommendation and the best way to hide all the issues.

GHG

Yep and with every patch.

It actually tells you when it's doing it when you boot up forza horizon 5 for example.

Last edited:

Cryio

Someone should post impressions of the game running on Linux, to see if the shader compilation stutters are reduced there.

Sleepwalker

Someone should post impressions of the game running on Linux, to see if the shader compilation stutters are reduced there.
Steamdeck runs it at 45 fps~ with dips under 30 on default settings apparently. And thats a custom linux version I think? At least not windows.

Saw a video this morning dunno if it has stutters.

Mato

I've had 4 crashes today. The last one happened just 2 minutes ago, inside that mine with the workers and the ugly bugs that shoot projectiles. I don't know what to do. I'm wondering if it might be due to the game being installed on an HDD instead of an SSD.

Cryio

Steamdeck runs it at 45 fps~ with dips under 30 on default settings apparently. And thats a custom linux version I think? At least not windows.

Saw a video this morning dunno if it has stutters.
Nah, I mean a high end PC build running Elden Ring on Linux. To see if it's better than the same system under Windows.

Xdrive05

How likely are they to fix the stuttering issues if they are baked into how they coded the game to work in DX12? I mean, best case scenario they add a 2 minute "compiling shaders" step every time you boot up the game. I would absolutely take that as a compromise, but I doubt they would bother.

And somebody have the face to say it is the best version lol
You do realize that even when stuttering it stays above the PS5 version's frame rate at higher settings, don't you? Imagine having to play like those instances throughout the whole game while enduring lower settings! (that's the console experience)
It's a shitty version no doubt, but it still the best one. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Tried the game for 5 minutes. 1 stutter when the big dude drops down at you at the very beginning. Not another one yet. Ran around in the outside area a bit. Fought some big bats and died to a dude on a horse. Zero stutters outside the first big one. Locked 60 fps pretty much 1440p ultra with a nice 60% gpu usage haha.

Hinedorf

Banned
Fighting Leonine a few times my PC totally locked up and I'm way above spec in every category, was really jarring, the Leonine stuff was full application lockup for a few seconds but didn't last long.

PaintTinJr

If I had to guess - because there's no demo to test - the shader cache causing stutter on PC might be caused by the OS itself.

By default in Windows, the "folder options" has a setting "Launch each explorer window in its own process" set to off, which AFAIK essentially means all disk writes are synchronized and causes all file manager windows to be inaccessible to new actions until the active doing IO completes. Enabling the feature automatically improves performance but at the risk of having stale handles in the filesystem - which occasionally need logging out of a profile to clear - which isn't compatible with all OS use situations.

So I'm be interested to know if anyone with this feature enabled has less stuttering, because if the cause is waiting to write an EOF of a newly compiled shader file, then each function running in a separate process should remove the wait time for the game to get back to work.

It would be interesting to know if the game can be made to run on SteamOS - with it being SteamDeck certified - and if it runs smoother.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
So the game drops into the 40s on a RTX 3090 at 720p and low settings.

100% definitive version no doubt! 😂

I'm running my game at 3840x2160 resolution with max settings (but motion blur turned off). I get a stable 60 fps with my 3090. I do, however, bypass the EAC since I don't play online and I always wonder if there is a performance hit with EAC. However, even with a stable 60 fps I have screen tearing that drives me crazy.

PaintTinJr

I'm running my game at 3840x2160 resolution with max settings (but motion blur turned off). I get a stable 60 fps with my 3090. I do, however, bypass the EAC since I don't play online and I always wonder if there is a performance hit with EAC. However, even with a stable 60 fps I have screen tearing that drives me crazy.
Can you not take a hit in latency (40fps rather than 60fps) and tell the nvidia control panel to pre-calculate 1 frame(?) to give you a triple buffered tear free experience?

Hinedorf

Banned
The RT patch will be the real release of the game. You guys are all playing a beta they rushed out no different from Cyberpunk.
This is the best beta I've ever played in my entire life, aside from a few stutters the game is in far better shape than any AC, Cyberpunk or SquareEnix game upon release but can only speak for myself.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
with Shoddy PC ports like this and GPU prices skyrocketing, is it any wonder why the PS5 and XSX sold out so fast? PC is getting brutally fucked in the ass by every corporation out there....
Nvidia and AMD are taking advantage of the shortage to sell to miners and scalpers, and PC devs aren't bothering with making their games work on older hardware
At this rate, if devs like fromsoftware don't optimize their games to ACTUALLY RUN AND LOOK GOOD on a 1060, PC gaming is gonna die out:messenger_confounded:

Reallink

with Shoddy PC ports like this and GPU prices skyrocketing, is it any wonder why the PS5 and XSX sold out so fast? PC is getting brutally fucked in the ass by every corporation out there....
Nvidia and AMD are taking advantage of the shortage to sell to miners and scalpers, and PC devs aren't bothering with making their games work on older hardware
At this rate, if devs like fromsoftware don't optimize their games to ACTUALLY RUN AND LOOK GOOD on a 1060, PC gaming is gonna die out:messenger_confounded:

Every sector of the PC industry has been posting record revenues and profits the past several years. $2000 GPUs and shortages are having the opposite effect of what you claim, literally everyone is doing gangbusters. $20 minimum wages, organized scalping marketplaces, crypto/NFC, Patreons, and Onlyfans means nearly everyone's making bank and flashing that cash. The shit would have hit the fan and crashed over a year ago if this supposed critical mass of bus boy PC gamers was actually being priced out of the market. Instead they're empirically all too busy buying $2500 GPUs, $1500 Herman Miller Gamer chairs, $400 SSDs, $600 DRR5 sticks, $300 MICE/KBs, $200 RGB wall decorations, and cat ear headphones.

Last edited:

Arioco

I know I looks like I'm joking. Well, I'm not. The game does drop into the 40s on a beefy PC ( Core i9+ RTX 3090) at 720p and low settings.

But we already knew From Software are not masters of optimization, didn't we? 🤷‍♂️

And by the way, they still haven't patched the stuttering in Bloodborne. But it's only been 7 years, let's be patient. 🙄

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Porting another Falcom game to Steam probably. Guy is a boss.

He's doing god's work with his involvement in the Falcom ports. Those are amazing conversions.

Don't know if you're having a piss or serious.

First post was probably serious, second reads like "hey I'm also on the joke, get it guys ?" :p

Last edited:

scalman

its good then for old specas who doesnt want or expect to get 60 fps... so for those older specs its rly good. runs fine on gtx 1060 laptop. high or maxed on 1080p its fine.. its stutters sure,, but not lags too bad that it would be not playable.
must be sad for those higher specs people who expect it would run smooth and just better. but games visuals doesnt even look on pair to anything that those high specs pc can run these days . so for older specs game looks ok enough .

Brofist

I know I looks like I'm joking. Well, I'm not. The game does drop into the 40s on a beefy PC ( Core i9+ RTX 3090) at 720p and low settings.

But we already knew From Software are not masters of optimization, didn't we? 🤷‍♂️

And by the way, they still haven't patched the stuttering in Bloodborne. But it's only been 7 years, let's be patient. 🙄
Is this your first hand experience on your own PC?

I’m running it on a 3080 on high at 1440p with better performance than that.

Last edited:

Stuart360

7 hours in now, zero crashes, almost constant 60fps (had loading stutter literally 3 times when running around outside on the horse), and zero of these 1-3 second freezes that many people have had on PC (beat 5 bosses and it hasnt froze once).

My midrange PC strikes again lol, had zero problems with DS3 and Sekiro too, and a lot of PC users did with those games.

I still think the fact that i always override the ingame vsync with the Nvidia control panel vsyns helps with these stutter problems. Vsync can be botched in some games these days.

BaneIsPain

I guess I'm making the correct decision to refund it. Play the console version and wait for a proper fix for PC later on.

Top Bottom