• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Cerny lie about ps5 updates?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's probably just something they didn't ready for release. Eventually games targeting a certain version of the OS might be better. Or it's cross gen games.

ethomaz ethomaz : This happens with PS5 games, do you even own one? lol

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
How many of you realize cerny is only a consultant/contract worker? he is not a sony employee.

Last edited:

Outrunner

During Cerny ps5 talk early 2020 Cerny said those annoying updates where the game would make a copy for the update and then spend ages copying it after the download would be a thing of the past.

Seems every update I see for ps5 games has the same long ass copying after an update has been downloaded.
Cold War 300mb update took me less than 10 Seconds to download and nearly 10 minutes to ‘copy’

Pretty cool right?
Stop playing garbage. Haven't had any of that on any first party game.

During Cerny ps5 talk early 2020 Cerny said those annoying updates where the game would make a copy for the update and then spend ages copying it after the download would be a thing of the past.

Seems every update I see for ps5 games has the same long ass copying after an update has been downloaded.
Cold War 300mb update took me less than 10 Seconds to download and nearly 10 minutes to ‘copy’

Pretty cool right?
These kind of statements always end up being thrown out the window whenever some other company that is used to work in one way or another wants to keep their toolchain intact.

But yeah, I'd rather the updates only sent us the differences compared to what we already have.

Jubenhimer

When people like Cerny spit-ball ideas and hopes for a new console to the public, it's not necessarily a guarantee that the feature they hope for will be fully realized. Companies hype up products with patents and features they would like to see work, that ultimately never pan out. Remember when Nintendo told us they would like 3D movies to be available on the 3DS?

Banned
this shit still happens? IS THAT A JOKE? this is legitimately fucking insane... this is the main reason, aside from the horrendous framerate, I hate playing Apex Legends on PS4 (no cross progression, my main account is stuck there) a patch for that on PS4 takes me up to 40min to install! for comparison, booting my Series X, downloading the patch and starting the game takes maybe 2min at worst.

there was one time when I updated a game, can't remember what it was right now... it had to be a free 2 play game... fuck... what was it..., but yeah, I wanted to play it on PS4 since I had it turned on already... but there was an update... when the file copying shit was already at 50%, I had enough time to boot my Xbox One X (which in itself takes like 35-40sec) download the patch (which was like 10gb) and play the game, BEFORE the PS4 was finished copying the files.
that is how fucking awful that system is on PS4.

at least from what people say here the PS5 does it faster, but 10min is still a fuck ton of time IMO.

Last edited:

Concern

spin dab GIF

Im just surprised we're two pages in and haven't seen a demand to see a psn id or trophies.

Banned
You know the usual, when someone criticizes Sony here. Someone comes in saying they're Xbox fanboys and don't own a Ps5. So they demand pictures of trophies and/or the PSN ID.

yeah, but I mean... this is a discussion about a thing that is factually true... I don't have a PS5 yet and I can say that this is a dogshit way to handle updates even tho it isn't quite as dogshit as on PS4 since the PS5 does it a bit faster

Concern

yeah, but I mean... this is a discussion about a thing that is factually true... I don't have a PS5 yet and I can say that this is a dogshit way to handle updates even tho it isn't quite as dogshit as on PS4 since the PS5 does it a bit faster

Have you noticed there's still people in here denying it tho? It always plays out like this in these threads.

Cerny is "God" to some people. But really he's just another guy contracted to architect a console and obviously praise it. Even if it means lying to sell you it.

Stooky

this shit still happens? IS THAT A JOKE? this is legitimately fucking insane... this is the main reason, aside from the horrendous framerate, I hate playing Apex Legends on PS4 (no cross progression, my main account is stuck there) a patch for that on PS4 takes me up to 40min to install! for comparison, booting my Series X, downloading the patch and starting the game takes maybe 2min at worst.

there was one time when I updated a game, can't remember what it was right now... it had to be a free 2 play game... fuck... what was it..., but yeah, I wanted to play it on PS4 since I had it turned on already... but there was an update... when the file copying shit was already at 50%, I had enough time to boot my Xbox One X (which in itself takes like 35-40sec) download the patch (which was like 10gb) and play the game, BEFORE the PS4 was finished copying the files.
that is how fucking awful that system is on PS4.

at least from what people say here the PS5 does it faster, but 10min is still a fuck ton of time IMO.
It doesn’t take 40min to download and install anything on ps5, that’s why this thread is dumb. The only thing that would be slow is using an external HDD, it would be be capped by slow HDD write speed.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

It makes perfect sense. Youre just unaware of whats being done. Cerny made a whole youtube video for you to watch.
How BC games are crippled or what? I watched the whole video, does not say anything about slow patches.

Last edited:
It doesn’t take 40min to download and install anything on ps5, that’s why this thread is dumb. The only thing that would be slow is using an external HDD, it would be be capped by slow HDD write speed.

Who said 40 minutes? Ps5 games were promised to install as their downloading updates. From my experience with ps5 games with native versions - every update there is always this slow as copying.

No issue with downloading.

Stooky

Who said 40 minutes? Ps5 games were promised to install as their downloading updates. From my experience with ps5 games with native versions - every update there is always this slow as copying.

No issue with downloading.
A slow copy? for me it’s been 3-4 min for 50g game.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Would be interesting to see if it does this on PS5 only games like demon's souls for example.

It is.

You don't get devs to put a lot of effort in a feature that's only available on one platform.

Thomish

Pretty cool right?
I literally just updated CW to season two (the big 20gb patch) and it took less than 5 minutes to copy over? Why lie lmao.

Ar¢tos

Let's me think about it for a second. There is a side who has promised loading would haven't been more an issue, the other let to intend to have built a monster hardware, a substained 12 TF beast, spreads communications about "there will be always a difference" between the two, Sony caught off the guard and so on, but, in the end (as predictable), it offers more or less the same perfomance of the concurrency, not only, the first wave of multiplat underperforms even, in some way. What fanbase should be more pissed off? Mmmm.
Wait until next year™, when Xbox tools have matured© and devs are more experienced with the new GDK®!
Then the MASSIVE 2 TF difference will be unleashed and XSX games will run at double the resolution and framerate with much better raytracing!

It's from threads like this that the meme "american education" is born.

Better let the OP alone trying to understand why PS4 games aren't behaving like native PS5 games.

Interfectum

people never learn. they fall for the hype and throw money away.

don't trust anything anyone says if they have something to sell you. especially if they look like this:

njs5yz0sn8n41.jpg

you honestly think someone like that is gonna tell you the truth?
Looked at this reply again today and I can’t stop laughing at it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

chonga

Are you pretending Sony magically will fix to you the ass slower HDD data management of the crossgen titles?
qasim rashid what GIF

anyway on my pro it happens very rarely to me lately. I'm starting to think it's not hardware relative but more a shitty server traffic issue. I usually play when there is less traffic and I haven't such copy loading screen from awhile.
The PS5 hardware should mean it is just automatically faster.

Game patches do not have code in them that says 'copy this file and if you happen to do it very quickly then make the user wait until 5 minutes have elapsed until you copy the next file because I need to account for the potential that this code is being executed on a console that has a slow ass 5400rpm HDD.'

And likewise if part of the copying process is to unpack and verify the content of the unpacked file then the massive CPU improvements in the PS5 will again yield an automatic benefit.

Blaming it on cross-gen is not logical and dumb.

Looked at this reply again today and I can’t stop laughing at it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
same here, it's a simply wonderful post. concise and to the point, it's like Hemmingway wrote it. god help me if poster found a terrible pic of me (of which there are many) and punched up a critique like this.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah but it's Call of Duty, I'm sure Modern Warfare doesn't need all that data it uses and the awkward update process is unnecessary

Top Bottom