• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 won't leave me alone about downloading game updates, even when I'm not playing those games

Anyone else having this issue? I don't want to update The Witcher 3 until I know the developers actually made it better than the original PS5 release, and there's a few other games I don't want to update for various other reasons. It used to be after a firmware update, all the games on my external drive would start downloading an update, and I'd have to cancel each one. But this would only happen once to a few times at most.

After this latest firmware update (both the discord update and the stability update afterward), The Witcher 3 wants to update just from turning on my console, and several of my more recently played PS4 titles on my external drive demand updates every time I turn on my PS5.

Anyone else experiencing this? It's getting to be really annoying. I have auto updates turned off, so it's not that.

Hugare

Its common sense that if you have the game installed, you would want the newest version available

This is not a PS5 problem. Steam does it, Xbox does it, EGS does it and etc.

Whats the problem? It downloads in the background while you do other stuff.

I can see it being a problem when an update breaks the game, for example, so you would want an older version. Having the option to roll back updates would be nice, just like in Steam.

But besides that, I dont see what you are complaining about, OP

Mr Moose

automatic-updates.png

Do you have it turned off on this part?

FUBARx89

Lies. You just wanna keep the accidently added nudity mod for the crones don't ya, ya scamp ya.

But turn off auto update and auto install in rest mode. It'll still ask ya every time ya start the game like.

Your complaining about basic functions of the console. If you don't want to update your going to have to uninstall the game, play offline or deal with it.

No I'm not, because it didn't do this before the update. Games would update if I went to play them, and I expect that. Now they update just because I turned the console on, and it's only certain games that I've played recently, which is odd.

Do you have it turned off on this part?

Just disable the auto update.

But turn off auto update and auto install in rest mode. It'll still ask ya every time ya start the game like.

Already turned off before the update. I checked, and it's still off, so that isn't the issue. Thanks for trying to help, though.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't think you can turn off that nagging unless you keep your PS5 offline. I have auto-update turned off and always tells me when updates are available. I usually just update, though. I don't keep much installed aside from the couple of games I'm actually playing at any given time so I don't see it often.

Puscifer

Its common sense that if you have the game installed, you would want the newest version available

I can see it being a problem when an update breaks the game, for example, so you would want an older version. Having the option to roll back updates would be nice, just like in Steam.

But besides that, I dont see what you are complaining about, OP
Steam solved this issue for a while now BTW. If a title is downloaded and hasn't been launched in a while you have to manually update vs them wasting the bandwidth to do so (I can only imagine how much since this was implemented).

I guarantee if people were more realistic about the games they play vs digital hoarding you'd never need for a hard drive more than 512GB

Last edited:

Mahavastu

Example: In my vacation home the internet is unbelievable expensive (about 40-50 Euro cent per gigabyte) and the largest package I can buy is 80GB
If the PS5 just downloads a 50GB patch without asking, it is not funny...

wvnative

There's zero logical reason to not update your games, you should be incredibly thankful that the ps5 mostly does a good job of keeping your games updated and always ready to play.

Delete it from your PS5 until you're ready to play it. Simples.

People who feel the need to have all their games installed at any time are weird lol

Nothing will ever be as bad as Windows updating itself when you aren’t looking and breaking stuff in the process
I think in all my time using Windows (since 95) an update has only broken something once or twice. I guess I'm lucky!

Last edited:

graywolf323

Steam solved this issue for a while now BTW. If a title is downloaded and hasn't been launched in a while you have to manually update vs them wasting the bandwidth to do so (I can only imagine how much since this was implemented).

I guarantee if people were more realistic about the games they play vs digital hoarding you'd never need for a hard drive more than 512GB
does it? I think on Steam Deck it updates everything I have installed and honestly I prefer it that way, at the very least make it an option

I do know the PS5 actually does that too because I have games I installed a long time ago and then if I go to launch it it’ll pull an update that wasn’t auto-installed even though I have that option enabled, I wish they’d let you manually check for an update when viewing your installed library like you could on PS4 (and Switch lets you do this because Switch does the same thing about not automatically updating everything that’s installed)

if I’m going on a trip and bringing my PS5 and Switch I have to manually go through and make sure everything installed is updated in case I end up wanting to play those games

I'm not sure I get the problem here. We're talking about your external drive, which you can't even play PS5 titles off of. But the system will still dowload updates for said games. If it truly bothers you, allow the download to start, then go in and pause the download manually. It should remain paused indefinitely then.

JaksGhost

Example: In my vacation home the internet is unbelievable expensive (about 40-50 Euro cent per gigabyte) and the largest package I can buy is 80GB
If the PS5 just downloads a 50GB patch without asking, it is not funny...
Unplug it from the internet or disconnect it from the Wi-Fi. What's hard about that?

Saber

Gold Member
PS4 is just about the same.

The moment it touches the internet, it tries desperadly update all your games.

It should disable auto updates like the option says. Nothing wrong with manual check, or a reminder that one is available. Starting it when you dont want it to is annoying, and a waste of resources for those affected. OP is right, more options is always better, dont try assuming what the user wants, which is always a disaster.

Top Bottom