• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Cerny lie about ps5 updates?

During Cerny ps5 talk early 2020 Cerny said those annoying updates where the game would make a copy for the update and then spend ages copying it after the download would be a thing of the past.

Seems every update I see for ps5 games has the same long ass copying after an update has been downloaded.
Cold War 300mb update took me less than 10 Seconds to download and nearly 10 minutes to ‘copy’

Pretty cool right?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
njs5yz0sn8n41.jpg

Last edited:
I won't sit here and say anyone lied about anything. Yeah, the copy process after a patch still exists on PS5. I don't know why, maybe one of the more knowledgeable users can fill me/us in as to why PlayStation 4/5 handles updates like this. It is faster than it was on PS4, but it still takes a little while.

Frankly, I am more focused on the long wait for internal expansion bay to be enabled, and lack of functionality added to the OS so far (or even just lack of announcements of when to expect new features).

Again, not saying anyone lied, or anyone is lying, just wish we had a clearer roadmap from Sony themselves.

Last edited:

FastOrc

I thought this tbh the other night downloaded cod cold war update. took ages to copy after it downloaded.

it does seem slow.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
people never learn. they fall for the hype and throw money away.

don't trust anything anyone says if they have something to sell you. especially if they look like this:

njs5yz0sn8n41.jpg

you honestly think someone like that is gonna tell you the truth?

And yet when the next generation starts everyone forgot about this and gets seduced by Cerny again because he is your friend which doesn't want your money.

He could never lie to us. Only Spencer.

Unless I am tripping balls and just hallucinating, I could have sworn I have seen the copying process happen with native PS5 games too. Maneater, Valhalla, and Godfall come to mind.

I don't think it is just a problem with BC games. The people saying "BC games only, sigh" might be misinformed in this case.

I'm almost certain it still happens with PS5 native games.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Where's the list of PC SSDs "that are coming out this fall" that are compat with PS5? Well, were almost in March.

Only thing people know is a rumoured summer date from a Bloomberg article.

Greggy

people never learn. they fall for the hype and throw money away.

don't trust anything anyone says if they have something to sell you. especially if they look like this:

njs5yz0sn8n41.jpg

you honestly think someone like that is gonna tell you the truth?
LMAO

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
No, it has to do with the packaging and how the diff is applied, not the speed of the drive.
Well but the HW should -theocratically- be able to crunch though all those data really fast. I hope there isn't in OS some if statement, that if it's BC game it's going to copy files max 50MB/s that would be shame.

assurdum

Banned
And yet when the next generation starts everyone forgot about this and gets seduced by Cerny again because he is your friend which doesn't want your money.

He could never lie to us. Only Spencer.
Let's me think about it for a second. There is a side who has promised loading would haven't been more an issue, the other let to intend to have built a monster hardware, a substained 12 TF beast, spreads communications about "there will be always a difference" between the two, Sony caught off the guard and so on, but, in the end (as predictable), it offers more or less the same perfomance of the concurrency, not only, the first wave of multiplat underperforms even, in some way. What fanbase should be more pissed off? Mmmm.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
During Cerny ps5 talk early 2020 Cerny said those annoying updates where the game would make a copy for the update and then spend ages copying it after the download would be a thing of the past.

Seems every update I see for ps5 games has the same long ass copying after an update has been downloaded.
Cold War 300mb update took me less than 10 Seconds to download and nearly 10 minutes to ‘copy’

Pretty cool right?

Are you pretending Sony magically will fix to you the ass slower HDD data management of the crossgen titles?
qasim rashid what GIF

anyway on my pro it happens very rarely to me lately. I'm starting to think it's not hardware relative but more a shitty server traffic issue. I usually play when there is less traffic and I haven't such copy loading screen from awhile.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Maybe it has something to do with Activision cod being ridiculous oversized horribly packed monsters. Still, Sony does like to lie lately......

Entroyp

Have you experienced how CoD CW updates? Yea, pretty cool right?

That’s what Cerny was talking about. Can’t do that on last gen engines though.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Dog, can you picture Cerny lying? The guy seems like a Saint. I'm just assuming that the PS5 hasn't hit it's goals in regard to all the things it can do. Not a Sony apologist, just giving Cerny the benefit of the doubt.

assurdum

Banned
Dog, can you picture Cerny lying? The guy seems like a Saint. I'm just assuming that the PS5 hasn't hit it's goals in regard to all the things it can do. Not a Sony apologist, just giving Cerny the benefit of the doubt.
It's not matter to be a Saint. It's just ridiculous blame him about something which has nothing to do to what he promised.

Last edited:
Top Bottom