• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 4 Beta Stats Reveal Over 61.5 Million Hours Played, Over 29 Billion Monsters Slain and More

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
diablo-iv-1536x864.jpeg

The Diablo 4 beta stats revealed that the game had over 61.5 million hours played across the beta weekends, with a record #1 viewership rank on Twitch when it was live.

Diablo 4 Beta Stats:​

• Over 61.5 million hours played (equivalent of over 7,000 years) across both weekends. The most hours played in a Diablo Beta ever.
  • Diablo IV ranked #1 on Twitch during the Beta weekend as we saw a huge influx of players excited to dive into Sanctuary and were eager to share their adventure with viewers – who tuned in in droves.
  • Over 2.6 million Beta Wolf Pack Cosmetics were earned by players reaching level 20 which can take on average 2-4 hours to achieve.

• Over 29 billion monsters were slaughtered. There are many vile and hellish creatures in the world of Diablo IV from demons to vampires, and players in our Beta didn’t hold back.
  • Over 46 million players were slain. The minions of Hell sometimes get the upper hand in the dark world of Diablo IV!
  • Sorceress rose to the top as the most popular class chosen surpassing Rogue, Druid, Barbarian, and Necromancer which came in second place.
  • The World Boss Ashava was slain by teams of players over 100,000 times. World Bosses are some of the most difficult enemies to defeat in Diablo IV, so it takes a lot of effort and coordination to overcome them.

• In comparison, over 10 million players were slain by Ashava in her act of revenge.
  • While it was thought that no one player could dare stand up to this deadly World Boss alone, a single brave adventurer nearly conquered Ashava all on their own!
  • The bloodthirsty and iconic Diablo boss, The Butcher, was defeated over 570,000 times by players. We are impressed – The Butcher is extremely dangerous and cunning, and running into him is almost guaranteed death.
  • The Butcher got the last laugh though by slaying over 1.7 million players.

I'm pissed I didn't get a random Butcher spawn when I was in any dungeons.

There should be at least 1 dungeon where The Butcher is pre-placed and always spawns.

Laieon

I skipped weekend 2 because I don't like losing progress and usually skip betas entirely, but I wanted that dog.

Can't wait for release, I had a ton of fun with the little bit I saw and that was with the class I was least interested in (Rogue).

Why show this kind of statistics for a beta lol
Would be better when the game launched.
Because it's part of marketing and the hype machine. It's 2 months away from launch and any company will always brag about stats. Business and marketing 101. Very simple.

What's really impressive is how fast they fixed queue times. I can't wait for this game. GOTY for me so far based of what I played.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I ran into the Butcher twice and got my ass completely smoked twice. Props to the Youtube heroes that actually managed to kill that thing.

I was also a Barbarian though, maybe its easy work for a sorc.

Saber

Gold Member
Because it's part of marketing and the hype machine. It's 2 months away from launch and any company will always brag about stats. Business and marketing 101. Very simple.

What's really impressive is how fast they fixed queue times. I can't wait for this game. GOTY for me so far based of what I played.

From a marketing point yes, but from playerbase statistic is useless. Wouldn't make a difference since players would just start over again. Pretty silly imo since Beta intention isn't for market purposes and its for tests, bug fixes, etc.

I ran into the Butcher twice and got my ass completely smoked twice. Props to the Youtube heroes that actually managed to kill that thing.

Is Butcher very aggressive? Usually is the other way around, does this game favors ranged?

Last edited:
From a marketing point yes, but from playerbase statistic is useless. Wouldn't make a difference since players would just start over again. Pretty silly imo since Beta intention isn't for market purposes and its for tests, bug fixes, etc.
Beta intention is 100% for both marketing and testing purposes. 2 main points of the beta was to stress test servers for launch and I'd say they were quite successful with it. It was also smart to do a limited beta 1 week and open for all the 2nd time.

2nd main point was the marketing - because people have been waiting for over a decade for a new Diablo game. Diablo is a HUGE name/brand in the ARPG genre. People and press members got to play it, it was all the 5 classes and an entire whole Act 1.

They got massive free viewership to advertise the game for them for free before launch and people were able to form their opi ions about it based of what they saw and played. So it is 100% marketing.

How are you going to continue to disagree that this is not marketing? Majority of the fanbase were extremely skeptical, especially after the P2W Diablo Immortal.

Last edited:
Never heard of that lol
But whatever makes people happy.
Huh? Not sure what you mean by "whatever makes people happy" I don't care whether you agree or not. You asked a question and as an industry professional I explained it to you. Whether you want to continue to agree or disagree with the facts is all up to you. But this is how it is.

Yes, beta is for testing stuff out for bugs while at same time an opportunity to market a product by giving access to press and other individuals. It's really not a hard concept to grasp. You might be thinking of old style betas, where they were extremely limited and under NDA. This was a whole open marketing campaign.

Diablo did have a private beta, back in December that was under NDA. They did not share stats for that one.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Is Butcher very aggressive? Usually is the other way around, does this game favors ranged?

He was super aggressive against my buddy and me. I was Barb and my buddy was Rogue, but he was chasing us down and he was pretty damn fast lol.

He also was just putting out tons of DPS, Barb has to stand there and tank it to get hits in and it was just too much for me at mid level.

DavidGzz

So, this means they had at least 4 million different players and that is if each person played 15+ hours so it was probably way more. Pretty crazy. This puts into perspective why there were server issues on day 1. They did a great job clearing things up on day 2 of each weekend considering how many were trying to play at once.

Last edited:
I foresee no games for you in the future.
I have to agree with this statement. Majority of games these days require some sort of a log in. I wouldn't even be surprised if single player titles will start doing same thing to check for licensing. Don't some already do?

Last edited:

DavidGzz

So, the line saying 1.7 million players were killed by the butcher. Is that individual different accounts? I never saw him in 24+ hours, if that is accurate, my 4 mil estimate is probably really low. I'm guessing that is 1.7 million kills.

So, the line saying 1.7 million players were killed by the butcher. Is that individual different accounts? I never saw him in 24+ hours, if that is accurate, my 4 mil estimate is probably really low. I'm guessing that is 1.7 million kills.
I got him 2 times in a row on a hardcore toon. Died the first time, made a new character same class. Ran into the first dungeon after going into the city and found him again and barely managed to escape and lived and never went back to that dungeon again lol.

Last edited:

Tallahassee

he butchered me until the last day when I made a bleed/thorns build

Antwix

I wish I was using my sorc (or just on kb/m) when I ran into him. The only time I got a chance to face him was when I was on my under-geared Rogue at like level 18 or so. And just my luck, it was within the first 5 minutes of fumbling around with controller for the first time ever :(

Hot5pur

Stats are super impressive for the beta. Like millions played it to level 20.

Also butcher was an awesome surprise, I hope they have more stuff like that. The butcher design could have been darker/scarier like in D1, but they seem to be going for an in-between D2/D3 aesthetic. Kinda ok for wider appeal. I have friends who get turned off by overly gory/scary stuff.

Butcher got me easy with Rogue, but I was prepared with Necro. Still had to kite that mofo and have my skellies take care of him AND I heavily relied on an extra dash perk. At some instances he nearly had me

HoodWinked

Butcher was weird, he is extremely fast and does an unavoidable slow. So there isn't much skill involved into fighting him, it's more of a gear check.

First time I fought him, I didn't even know it was a special thing and got completely slaughtered, second time I ran around a pillar as I slowly chipped away at his health but he just turned into a pool of blood and despawned after a couple minutes. Third time I was maxed out level cap with full legendary gear and just killed him like any other elite/boss.

Last edited:

Boneless

Does anyone know, does Unstable Current only randomly cast the spells that you have (i.e. have put points in) or will it cast the shock skills regardless of them being 'active' in your skill tree.

These random fucking numbers are impossible to conceptualize into anything that makes sense.

10 people just pivoted in 394 degrees! 398573 cars drove over a line on the ground!

Useless information.

I'd have to respectfully disagree my friend. It's a lot more useful than this overly aggressive post of yours. By the way, you dropped your photo of yourself when you were yelling earlier. :p

fHcQege.jpg

Last edited:
crying over always online is so 2012.

Would you expect games like Destiny/The Division to be offline? Nah cause that doesn't make any damn sense. Diablo IV is a live service always online MMORPG-lite game and you gotta deal with it or go play something else.
That’s exactly what he said…

Saber

Gold Member
I'd have to respectfully disagree my friend. It's a lot more useful than this overly aggressive post of yours. By the way, you dropped your photo of yourself when you were yelling earlier.

fHcQege.jpg

Dude you sound very touchy about anything remotivelly negative about this game. Cool down abit or the mods might think you're taking it too personnal.

Antwix

Does anyone know, does Unstable Current only randomly cast the spells that you have (i.e. have put points in) or will it cast the shock skills regardless of them being 'active' in your skill tree.
I remember doing some testing with this and I could be wrong but I recall that it only uses skills that you have skill points into. So if you have, for example, chain lightning as your only (core/mastery/conjuration) skill, it will only cast that.

Dude you sound very touchy about anything remotivelly negative about this game. Cool down abit or the mods might think you're taking it too personnal.
Not really. I was being very respectful about it. Not sure what your problem is my dude. I wasn't even quoting you, so why are you even a part of this conversation?

If you don't like people having different opinions on a video game forum or you are going to be asking a question on a public forum and someone gives you an answer with a throughou explanation and you don't like the answer you got then don't bother posting.

But it seems you are wanting to bait people and looking for ways to start fights for god knows what reason. No one was insulting anyone or calling anyone names. Welcome to ignore.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Not really. I was being very respectful about it. Not sure what your problem is my dude. I wasn't even quoting you, so why are you even a part of this conversation?

If you don't like people having different opinions on a video game forum or you are going to be asking a question on a public forum and someone gives you an answer with a throughou explanation then don't bother posting.

But it seems you are wanting to bait people and looking for ways to start fights for god knows what reason. No one was insulting anyone or calling anyone names. Welcome to ignore.

You sound veeeeeery touchy about this game, to the point of seeing anyone who disagrees as a possible aggressive answer target.
You are welcome to put me in ignore if you like, but I'm not here to make people who look foward to this game make feel like they are wrong. I believe people can like the game or not, thats the part of forums. Nobody is here to share the same feeling, but to share different perspectives. You on the other side felt the necessity of telling that you disagree and counter with appropriate smartass snarky post.

Last edited:

Boneless

I remember doing some testing with this and I could be wrong but I recall that it only uses skills that you have skill points into. So if you have, for example, chain lightning as your only (core/mastery/conjuration) skill, it will only cast that.
Hmm, on the one hand it sucks I would have to put extra points in a skill, on the other hands its interesting that you can then force unstable currents to cast a specific spell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom