• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Resident Evil Village: The Digital Foundry Tech Review + PS5, Xbox Series X|S Analysis!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
dj khaled popcorn GIF by Diddy

skit_data

Seems the CB implementation in this title is actually really really good. It will be interesting to see if this becomes a trend in the future and if so provides devs with more flexibility when pushing other parts of graphics than resolution.

Just like the demo XSX has a performance advantage in those heavy scenes.

But my biggest takeaway is the load times on PS5. Damn, thats fast. Unlike most other games, Capcom seemed to have utilized PS5s storage speed in the proper way.

Edit: I’m also reading the PS5 version (27.3 GB) almost half the size of the XSX version (50 GB). Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:

elliot5

Seems the CB implementation in this title is actually really really good. It will be interesting to see if this becomes a trend in the future and if so provides devs with more flexibility when pushing other parts of graphics than resolution.

But my biggest takeaway is the load times on PS5. Damn, thats fast. Unlike most other games, Capcom seemed to have utilized PS5s storage speed in the proper way.

Edit: I’m also reading the PS5 version (27.3 GB) almost half the size of the XSX version (50 GB). Can anyone confirm this?
It's 30.22 GB on Xbox. I just checked by installing via the app.

Riky

$MSFT
Looks pretty good across the full game like the demo, they need to cap that Series S RT mode at 30fps though as that's too unstable, will stick to rasterized option when playing on Series S.

Kuranghi

As a PC guy who will play there if the performance/IQ is better this couldn't have come at a better time because I can't upgrade my GTX 1080 for a while yet and the framerate + IQ of the CB 4K is way above what you get on PC. I could do native 4K + better texture resolution but only at 30fps on PC but I did back and forth comparisons and its nowhere near enough of difference in IQ to justify losing half my frames.

In motion the texture resolution and internal resolution increase does make a good difference on my setup but since I am at 30fps that kind of cancels out the clarity increase anyway and when you stop and look at things without moving the camera CB 4K looked really similar to native 4K on my PC just with slightly less aliasing on hard contrast straight edges, but nowhere near enough to justify the lost frames.

To get locked 60 99.9% of the time on PC I had to do 1440p and that looks like ass compared to the CB 4K even though they say its a similar number of pixels as 1527p per frame. PS5 all the way for me, I'll get PC version later for IQ run.

Caio

So it looks very good, identical on both without RT, but XSX performs better with RT, mostly in the more demanding scenes, up to 10-15% when the engine has to deal with more reflections. PS5 much faster loading times. Also VRR(Ricky will love me now), is helping XSX to be even better when the occasional dips occur, making them almost imperceptible.

XSS, err, don't know what to say...

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The most important thing in this new comparison is the loading times. PS5 is smashing a blistering couple of seconds but Xbox series X is underperforming really. Intereting to see if they can patch it, but 2 seconds vs 8 is a considerable gap no matter which way you play it.

SSD in effect!

Last edited:

elliot5

The most important thing in this new comparison is the loading times. PS5 is smashing a blistering couple of seconds but Xbox series X is underperforming really. Intereting to see if they can patch it, but 2 seconds vs 8 is a considerable gap no matter which way you play it.

SSD in effect!
Super impressive what Capcom did with the PS5 ssd.

At least it doesn't seem like there's any loading once you're in game(?)

My guess is bc it's sponsored/faster ssd/storage API is there they were able to do that transition only effect. Xbox def shouldn't be 5+ times slower, but they probably aren't using the optimal APIs/whatever for Series. Either way 8 seconds is still pretty good.

SSD in effect!
I wonder why this is the "most important thing" :pie_thinking: ...

The load times aren't the end of the world tbh; I'm thinking Capcom aren't leveraging DirectStorage API (let alone SFS) on the Series platforms here, but they might be tapping into Sony's SSD I/O stack more directly. Considering the marketing partnership, I would be surprised if Sony did not provide them the assistance there as needed.

Good thing I play games on a 4K screen , I want perfect pixels, pixels that only Series X provides, in between controlling I want to grap a cold beer, 8 seconds is perfect for that, how can I grab a beer in only 1.5 second?

Well considering that both versions are the same the amount of data is probably similar. It's pretty impressive that the PS5 manages to load it that quickly. But I'm also wondering if they could have done a better job with the I/O on the XSX.

Mr Moose

The load times aren't the end of the world tbh; I'm thinking Capcom aren't leveraging DirectStorage API (let alone SFS) on the Series platforms here, but they might be tapping into Sony's SSD I/O stack more directly. Considering the marketing partnership, I would be surprised if Sony did not provide them the assistance there as needed.
Most important thing in this new comparison, the last one didn't show it, this one did, we already knew how it runs.

skit_data

Idk wether its ”the most important thing” to most people but it is quite a remarkable difference in terms of percentage compared to each other. So far many games have exhibited quite small or sometimes pretty much equal loading times in multiplats.

It might be one of the most important new things this comparison brings to the table, since we haven’t seen a difference this big between the two in a next gen title afaik, just like the Hitman 3 comparison brought quite a big difference between the two in terms of res and shadow settings.

Top Bottom