• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct: Halo Infinite Delay Reaction - Xbox 'Series S' Confirmed? - Nvidia Ampere Countdown!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Quiet cancel the Xbox One version.
If anything only the MP should be on XB1 with textures and post effects set to craig.

The XSX version with full campaign and everything else should actually utilizes the power and architecture of the new generation.

TTOOLL

It's not only the Xbox One version, they will also have to make a Xbox Series S version. What a mess.

Edit: lol

C0tcBO2.png

Last edited:

Jose92

[Membe
Good analysis by DF.

Just one thing they talked about that peaked my interest is john saying that he heard rumours that the 2 consoles xbox series x and playstation 5 costing more than $500. That will be big a bummer if true.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

But I thought DF were Xbox shills? Why are they speaking critically here? Did Mark Cerny slip a bit more cash under the table this week? A PS5 hands on?
As a relatively neutral observer of DF (I never watched or read anything from them prior to a few weeks ago), I think perception might be based on past bias. I can't attest to any of that, as I've only seen their videos since the PS5 reveal. So I don't see any real bias in their videos. I subbed to their channel, because I find it informative.

So did DF display the appropriate amount of negatively towards Xbox? Did Alex say enough negative things about Halo Infinite's presentation?
Well quite frankly this seems like damage control for the video they released a week ago saying it was just the lighting that was fucked up. I mean they just now noticed all the other areas that need TLC after it was delayed? Common man.

GiJoint

Good analysis by DF.

Just one thing they talked about that peaked my interest is john saying that he heard rumours that the 2 consoles xbox series x and playstation 5 costing more than $500. That will be big a bummer if true.
Looking at the tech going into these things and the current Coronavirus stuff happening, I wouldn’t be surprised.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I kind of disagree with John. I don't think Infinite can be rearchitected and redone only for Series X, five years into development. I mean, I admit, it would be nice, but the game's entire design and underpinnings, going even beyond visuals, are likely based on Xbox One capabilities.

I kind of disagree with John. I don't think Infinite can be rearchitected and redone only for Series X, five years into development. I mean, I admit, it would be nice, but the game's entire design and underpinnings, going even beyond visuals, are likely based on Xbox One capabilities.
I thought the same thing when they were talking about how view angles were obstructing draw distance as a limiting factor for last gen HW. I mean that a complete restructure for a level design standpoint.

Fake

John really made a very good point about Halo. They really need to remove the Xbox One version in favor of series X/S

onQ123

They saying cancel the Xbox One version but to say that you have to be out of touch with what is going on with Xbox.

There is no Xbox One version it's only Xbox version , Microsoft don't plan to sell enough Xbox Series X units to support any big games for the next few years.

Xbox One is their crutch the only reason you will see some next gen games on Xbox Series X will be because of PC & PS5.

Fake

Time? Money? Unless you think a delay will solve the problem of a 5 years old dev team game.

Another good point he made was about just keep the multiplayer for Xbox One. People don't really care much about graphics on multiplayer version, so is good to go.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

When they make character models and textures it has to be able to fit on the old console's memory pool. That's why we have characters looking the way they do in Infinite.
maxresdefault.jpg

See how the 360 version of Far Cry couldn't accommodate the model for the Xbox One version So they had to make a completely different model. Halo would have had to do that which means double the work. They obviously didn't.

Last edited:

FireFly

Well quite frankly this seems like damage control for the video they released a week ago saying it was just the lighting that was fucked up. I mean they just now noticed all the other areas that need TLC after it was delayed? Common man.
In the original "Xbox Games Showcase Reaction" video they were also highly critical:

See Alex talking about the shadow resolution, flickering and pop-in, and indicating the same visuals could run on a base Xbox One title. (The point of Alex's video was to explain why the lighting was flat, not to claim that this was the only problem with the game). Rich complaining about it not running on XSX hardware, not showing off the power of the SSD, and the screenshots being awful. John complaining about the character models and saying Doom Eternal looks a lot more impressive and current open world games also look better.

I refuse to believe this.

GAF is telling me that they are relentless Microsoft shills and make a living by getting paid by them.

You're replacing one conspiracy with another - 'Gaf is out to destroy Xbox'. And you do realise that the game being delayed and them having to do another video on the fallout is actually vindication of those panning DF and saying Alex Battaglia was trying his best to downplay any criticism of the game's visuals. Anyone can see it looked shocking, running 4k 60 fps (on a PC it turns out) is no defence at all, especially coming from a so-called technical journalist. All I'd like to see is honesty, not pussy-footing around the debate just because they are on good terms with MS.

Time? Money? Unless you think a delay will solve the problem of a 5 years old dev team game.

Another good point he made was about just keep the multiplayer for Xbox One. People don't really care much about graphics on multiplayer version, so is good to go.
Ok but then why cancel one version. You’ve spent that much time and money into it. Just ship that version and make sxs crispier?

Fake

Ok but then why cancel one version. You’ve spent that much time and money into it. Just ship that version and make sxs crispier?

In favor of, maybe, next gen? We still don't know how things are going inside the company, but by the presentation is not so good. I don't know if the delay will save the game with all those versions in place (Xbox One, Xbox One X and Xbox series X).

Is not like 'wow, lets just ship Xbox One version and make the sxs crispier'... When you decide to make a crossgen game you make a hard decision of not being so ambitious. Lots of sacrifice are involved, not just 'low settings vs ultra settings'. Those things require time and money.

Last edited:
When they make character models and textures it has to be able to fit on the old console's memory pool. That's why we have characters looking the way they do in Infinite.
maxresdefault.jpg

See how the 360 version of Far Cry couldn't accommodate the model for the Xbox One version So they had to make a completely different model. Halo would have had to do that which means double the work. They obviously didn't.
Yea I see what your saying. But still why cancel one version it wouldn’t really fix anything unless you don’t wanna play halo for another year or two when really people are just sad about the graphics. Why is it always about the graphics??

Fake

Yea I see what your saying. But still why cancel one version it wouldn’t really fix anything unless you don’t wanna play halo for another year or two when really people are just sad about the graphics. Why is it always about the graphics??

Canceling a version could give the time they would use for that version to threat another version. Instead of ask 'why is it always about the graphics', just think about 'why you want me to buy a 12TF machine if I can play Halo here'. They need to give people a reason to move to next gen and Halo franchise already proved to be a hardware seller (John mention in the video. You should check). No hard science.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
How do people still not understand that they can’t cancel the Xbox one version without the entire game being cancelled because the game is an Xbox one game?

There is no Series X version and also a Xbox one version - there is an Xbox one version which by default also runs on the Series x. Cyberpunk is the same - there’s no actual series x version.

Last edited:

Fake

How do people still not understand that they can’t cancel the Xbox one version without the entire game being cancelled because the game is an Xbox one game?
They can because is a scalable game. Was mention on the video.

There is no Series X version and also a Xbox one version - there is an SOC one version which by default also runs on the Series x. Cyberpunk is the same - there’s no actual series x version.

How do you know that?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Why do people keep claiming this game has 5 years of dev time when we know a minimum of two was spent on the engine creation?

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

I'm fine with them not changing the models. Give me raytraced GI and raytraced emissive lighting. Ever think about how we have all these games like Halo and R&C with all these lights and lasers beams flying across the screen but none of it ever really lights or colors the environment. Imagine playing Halo at night with all the energy blasts giving off real light. Like this:

This is something that raytracing can do that cant faked that's why you never see it. Imagine how amazing that would be in a Halo game.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
They can because is a scalable game. Was mention on the video.

How do you know that?
Scalable game lol.

It was in development for Xbox one for years before the Series X was a thing. It is a Xbox one game that runs by default on the series X, like literally every other non Kinect XB1 game. It is literally the XB1 version with dynamic resolution. It’s the same as cyberpunk - it simply works on the series x, with higher resolution and frame rate if they are using dynamic resolution, and it will receive a series x patch post release. That ray tracing patch they accounted for infinite? That’s the series x patch.

answer me this - is there going to be a series x disc version of the game that you can go and buy that doesn’t play on the Xbox one?

Top Bottom