• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: CONTROL PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S 60 Fps and RT mode

DJ12

So both games are in "wait for patch" mode, otherwise they're identical. Easy win for the VRR capable console once both versions are patched.
Not if you play with rt or they don't fix the massive drops that aren't to do with the 'io stuttering'

Our resident VRR 'expert' has already said vrr does work as low as series x is dropping.

Rt mode is below the threshold at all times so you are out of luck there too

DJ12

The Xbox version contains the files for two versions.
Tales from your ass

Should have read further there were more lol worthy posts.

Series s and x use the same files, please show a difference between the two versions other than the lower resolution on s.

You are the gift that keeps on giving.

Hit me up with a triggered emoji and move on with your clown shoes.

Comical riky.

Emhm49JW8AMCnFe.jpg

Last edited:
There is no compression on the Xbox version. It's the same as the PC version apparently.

That's very unlikely. Since 2013 (at least) all games are by default compressed with zlib (Kraken is now possible on PS5). And The PS4 game has about the same size as the Xbox one and this game (like all PS4 games) is definitely compressed using zlib.

BTW Zlib is already a pretty good (and rather demanding) compression algorithm.

Last edited:

Spokker

If nothing happens on screen (traversal) or it always pops in some text on the screen, it really looks like a strange bug. Seems to be a loading realated bug (for whatever reason).
After all, Control is really a "hardwarekiller" even on PC. It is not that the game looks that great (it has many artifacts etc) it is more that the engine is quite inefficient. Bug well, at least there is one more engine on the market, better than all using unreal & the other.
I played it on Xbox One X all the way through (good game, but overrated), and there were these weird ass hitches when you opened the map, and the map wouldn't even load all the way. I wonder if it's related to the little hitches happening on Xbox Series X.

Trend continues.
Well Hitman 3 Well and truly put an end to this so called trend by actually having a meaningful difference. This is litterly the same game on both, as has been the case on 99% of games so far. The fanboys have been quick to claim victory with the smallest of differences, its pretty sad actually.

The proof is that if you download the file you can take it on the expandable storage and just play it on Series S, like I did not ten minutes ago.
Keep on digging that hole for yourself with your made up nonsense.

th Xbox version doesn’t have two files. Either the devs haven’t compressed it because they couldn’t be bothered or the Xbox ssd isn’t good enough for it.

Aidah

Obviously these threads and videos aren't really about picking which version to play, but if you're one of the 5 people who has both consoles, have never played this game, and is interested in playing it, then PS5 is a clear choice. Runs a little bit better, has Dualsense support, file size is apparently much smaller, and it's not even going to cost you anything extra if you already have PS+. Xbox version on the other hand offers no advantages.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Heard similar rumors. Must be true. Considering how powerful the VRR magical powers can be in the right hand, I don't doubt it.

Jealousy is a terrible thing, maybe Sony will sort some VRR for you right after they sort the no expandable next gen storage and coil whine, fingers crossed eh.

Obviously these threads and videos aren't really about picking which version to play, but if you're one of the 5 people who has both consoles, have never played this game, and is interested in playing it, then PS5 is the obvious choice. Runs a little bit better, has Dualsense support, file size is apparently much smaller, and it's not even going to cost you anything extra if you already have PS+. Xbox version on the other had offers no advantages.

To quote a smart man ‘it has vrr Xbox therefore has the best version’

Md Ray

I dont know why they think the PS5 drops are GPU related when the Xbox drops happen in combat sections. I saw the framerate dip to 53 fps in combat on the xsx. how is that a stutter and not a gpu related framedrop?
Xbox has both GPU related drops + stutter. During combat on Xbox at 9:00, the fps dips to ~58fps due to GPU-bound followed by a stutter the next second which drags the frame-rate down even further to 53fps (pay attention to the frame-time graph at this moment).

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Keep on digging that hole for yourself with your made up nonsense.

th Xbox version doesn’t have two files. Either the devs haven’t compressed it because they couldn’t be bothered or the Xbox ssd isn’t good enough for it.

You really are stupid. The file runs on both machines, you don't know how much the Series S version files take up only Remedy does.

You really are stupid. The file runs on both machines, you don't know how much the Series S version files take up only Remedy does.
The only thick person here is you. You’re literally making stuff up to make excuses why one game takes up less space.

You keep back peddling on your garbage so now you resort to list wars.

Larger ssd space, expandable storage.
Shame you can’t use 12tf and eats monsters for breakfast since the tower of power isn’t out performing (again).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
First it was a flip in the slider to scale to Series S... now it is a entry different version lol
I think that's what they meant with Smart Delivery. Have both versions all downloaded, installed, and ready.

So in cross-gen games, a game would have Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, all versions downloaded and installed on every console. Real Smart Big Brain Move.

Phil Spencer be like:

Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends

Riky

$MSFT
The only thick person here is you. You’re literally making stuff up to make excuses why one game takes up less space.

You keep back peddling on your garbage so now you resort to list wars.

Larger ssd space, expandable storage.
Shame you can’t use 12tf and eats monsters for breakfast since the tower of power isn’t out performing (again).

You really are triggered 🤣

It isn't made up, the same file runs on both machines.

DJ12

It runs on both machines, only Remedy know how much space the Series S files take up, you certainly don't 😂
Series s uses the same settings at a lower resolution, therefore its the same files in use.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not being serious rather than assume you're actually this dumb.

Mr Moose

Ask Remedy.
I don't need to, there are no 2 versions for other games, why would this one be any different?
Let's use an Ubisoft game as an example:

Technical Specs​

In order to install Immortals Fenyx Rising, players will need to ensure they have the following free space on their respective platforms:

• PC: 30 GB
  • Xbox: 25 GB
  • PlayStation: 25 GB
  • Nintendo Switch: 15 GB
Notice the sizes? There is no 2 versions for Xbox, otherwise it wouldn't be the same size as the PS5 version (from disc) it would be much larger.

DJ12

It always helps, which is why I'm playing the smoothest version of every next gen game, every time 😎
Apart from this obviously as vrr don't work on the drops in this game according to yourself or at all in rt mode.
I don't need to, there are no 2 versions for other games, why would this one be any different?
Let's use an Ubisoft game as an example:

Technical Specs​

In order to install Immortals Fenyx Rising, players will need to ensure they have the following free space on their respective platforms:

• PC: 30 GB
  • Xbox: 25 GB
  • PlayStation: 25 GB
  • Nintendo Switch: 15 GB
Notice the sizes? There is no 2 versions for Xbox, otherwise it wouldn't be the same size as the PS5 version (from disc) it would be much larger.
Also check the patch notes on vahalla. Always considerably smaller on one of the consoles. Originally I thought it was because the downgrades for parity weren't as drastic as the updates needed the other side, but I guess it's becoming apparent there's something else at work.

Mr Moose

"On Xbox Series X it's 81.9GB for optimised Forza and 71.9GB for optimised Gears, and for the optimised versions on Xbox Series S, it's 71.4GB for Forza and 55.12GB for Gears"
BC games. How big are they on One S and One X?

BbMajor7th

Well Hitman 3 Well and truly put an end to this so called trend by actually having a meaningful difference. This is litterly the same game on both, as has been the case on 99% of games so far. The fanboys have been quick to claim victory with the smallest of differences, its pretty sad actually.

I think there's actually a certain amount of schadenfreude involved. Based on spec reveals, there was a lot of assumption going around that the Series X would walk away with a visible margin in the majority of third party games. MS themselves were placing a lot of emphasis on hardware superiority in their marketing and that only stoked these expectations. The fact that, so far, the Series X has been either mostly on par, and even a little behind in some cases, isn't what people were expecting. People who were brow beaten over teraflops last summer are perhaps understandably a little smug to see relative parity, while those that did the brow beating are apt to be defensive. I honestly think it would be completely different if the pre-amble hadn't placed so much emphasis on hardware specs.

Top Bottom