• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: CONTROL PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S 60 Fps and RT mode

AnotherOne

jurassic park water GIF

Last edited:
Summary please?

In b4 anotherone.gif?
In 60fps mode both drop frames for what they assume are GPU related reasons to low/mid 50s at worse - the footage made it look like PS5 dropped a bit lower but they said it was equal.

XSX has what look like I/O stutters which tank the frame time however and look really noticeable in my view so personally I'd go PS5 if I had to choose.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Going by the video they are pretty much identical. SX has a slight studder issue when text pops up in the center of the screen. They believe it is not hardware related and sent the info to Remedy.

Zimmy68

I have both consoles and PS5 is super dark. Not sure if it is a bug but I got lost finding Ahti at the start and played through that beginning about 10 times.
Luckily, changing the brightness fixes it but would like to see an official fix.

ethomaz

Banned
Summary please?

In b4 anotherone.gif?
Graphics: all same
Color gamma is dark on PS5.
Both have drops to low 50fps in different scenes in 60fps mode.
Series X has a issue with framepace with UI elements and in standard traversal.
Photo Mode allow to unlock the 30fps in RT Mode that shows that both runs way over 30fps but not enough for locked 60fps.

Overall: PS5 has the best experience on consoles.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I have both consoles and PS5 is super dark. Not sure if it is a bug but I got lost finding Ahti at the start and played through that beginning about 10 times.
Luckily, changing the brightness fixes it but would like to see an official fix.
I noticed that too on PS5. The first thing I did after loading the game up was crank the bright up to around 75 because it was hard to see stuff.

Cyborg

- Both are almost identical
- PS5 has lighter image
- Both run realy good in Performance mode
- XSX has a stutter problem so the drops below 60 are more often and more annoying (doesnt seem to be GPU related)
- PS5 has also drops (GPU related) but are less annoying due to refresh rate
- Loading times almost identical
- VRR is helpfull

Amazing experience for both consoles, only fanboys will argue about 1 or 2 frames

ethomaz

Banned
- Both are almost identical
- PS5 has lighter image
- Both run realy good in Performance mode
- XSX has a stutter problem so the drops below 60 are more often and more annoying (doesnt seem to be GPU related)
- PS5 has also drops (GPU related) but are less annoying due to refresh rate
- Loading times almost identical
- VRR is helpfull

Amazing experience for both consoles, only fanboys will argue about 1 or 2 frames
There is a lot of false info in that summary.

- PS5 has a darker image.
- Both drops to mid/low 50fps (GPU related?)
- Series X stutter is when it shows some UI element on screen or/and standard transversal.
- VRR doesn’t fix the stuffer on Series X.

Last edited:
The loading time being the same on PS5 as the Xbox consoles is surely indicative of the good work the decompression hardware is doing as it is a much smaller (presumably more compressed?) version of the game.

Leyasu

Banned
There is a lot of false info in that summary.
No there's not. But until that stuttering is sorted (which I don't think that they will bother to in all honesty), the PS5 is the better version. You see, you can start to forget the pains of Hitman

I can't see them bothering to patch out any bugs now. They had a small team on the port, and won't invest any more money in this I reckon.

BatSu

:messenger_fearful: Series X exhibits some stutter

Remedy itself has already revealed the full specifications of the new versions, which essentially boils down to this: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X run at a native 1440p resolution (with no dynamic resolution scaling) with a temporal upscale to 2160p output. Graphics and performance modes are essentially a toggle for ray tracing support, which adds RT reflections on opaque and glass surfaces. RT locks users to 30fps gaming, while disabling it removes the frame-rate cap, with performance only limited by 60Hz v-sync.

Without giving too much away, it's clear that Control in RT graphics mode has a significant amount of headroom beyond 30fps (but nowhere near 60 for the most part, it's worth stressing), the upshot being that in standard gameplay, both Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 lock to their target frame-rate of 30. The only outlier here is the introduction of improper frame-pacing in very rare scenarios, but otherwise it's nearly faultless. In terms of quality settings and visual features, Series X and PlayStation 5 look like a complete match - with just a small difference in gamma levels.

Beyond this, Series X exhibits some stutter not seen on PS5 - regardless of it being set to graphics or performance modes. It crops up with the arrival of UI elements on screen and in standard traversal, and can be distracting. Our understanding is that Remedy is looking to address this in a future patch, but it's the only blemish in what is otherwise a very polished 30fps experience with some beautiful RT work.

The performance mode meanwhile aims to run Control flat-out at 60 frames per second. By and large, it's an excellent experience regardless of which system you play on, and in terms of sheer playability, it's the best way to enjoy the game. It's also at this point that we can factor in Xbox Series S. It lacks the 30fps RT mode and targets performance only, delivering a 60fps experience at native 900p, with a temporal upscale to 1080p.

ethomaz

Banned
No there's not. But until that stuttering is sorted (which I don't think that they will bother to in all honesty), the PS5 is the better version. You see, you can start to forget the pains of Hitman

I can't see them bothering to patch out any bugs now. They had a small team on the port, and won't invest any more money in this I reckon.
Yes there is a lot and I listed them.
The fact PS5 image is darker and not lighter already tells you a lot without need to read the rest.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Game was really bright on the PS4, the gamma issue is kinda a blessing in disguise.
Happy to hear RT30fps is flawless, it feels it too.
Best wait for a patch to fix the 60fps mode.
But I plan on playing it RT30fps on my first play through anyway as the difference in graphics quality is massive, 60fps is for reruns and it should be fixed then.
Interesting that the Photomode uncaps the RT mode.
PS5/XSX seem to handling the game with ease
Fantastic port it seems

Kazza

Graphics: all same
Color gamma is dark on PS5.
Both have drops to low 50fps in different scenes in 60fps mode.
Series X has a issue with framepace with UI elements and in standard traversal.
Photo Mode allow to unlock the 30fps in RT Mode that shows that both runs way over 30fps but not enough for locked 60fps.

Overall: PS5 has the best experience on consoles.

I see that you conveniently missed out the fact that loading times on the Xbox consoles are faster than PS5. The X is 0.3 milliseconds faster the PS5, and the S is even better, with a massive 0.6 milliseconds advantage. So much for Cerny's secret sauce magical SSD! Quite frankly, this huge gulf in performance should make anyone thinking of getting a PS5 start having second thoughts.

CRE075V.png

ethomaz

Banned
I see that you conveniently missed out the fact that loading times on the Xbox consoles are faster than PS5. The X is 0.3 milliseconds faster the PS5, and the S is even better, with a massive 0.6 milliseconds advantage. So much for Cerny's secret sauce magical SSD! Quite frankly, this huge gulf in performance should make anyone thinking of getting a PS5 start having second thoughts.

CRE075V.png
Wut?

Portugeezer

Why is the loading not faster on PS5? When I see these things I automatically question the quality of the ports (maybe wrong, let me know). Although the original game was already really good visually, so perhaps they didn't tweak with the engine too much.

Both are basically the same besides some random stutter issue on XSX (doesn't seem major).

I remember with PS4/XB1, it was easy to know/see which had more horsepower, not so evident with XSX for some reason.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
DF mentioned on Twitter yesterday that the gamma situation on the PS5 is a bug, and Remedy will be fixing that soon.
Remedy have our money. Fixing the stuttering on the XsX and the gamma problem on the PS5, frame pacing issues on both plus other things seems optimistic. They only had a small team on this port to start with. I am doubtful that they will invest any more into this. I hope that I am wrong though...

Edit: Just had a look on ree, and they are saying that Remedy have already confirmed a patch for the stuttering, gamma and other issues etc... I'll wait a little longer before playing then

Last edited:
Top Bottom