• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] - Borderlands 3 PS5 vs Xbox Series X: 4K60 and 120fps Modes Tested - Plus Series S Comparisons!

Have to admit i genuinely thought there would be a noticeable difference in Cross platform games between XSX vs PS5, wonder if it really is down to the tools on Xbox simply not being as good (for now) as the ones on Sony's machine but for an extra 2tf I was expecting a bigger difference
~18% difference in either frame rate OR resolution is a best case scenario for the series X.

In the real world they should be about even most of the time, with one or the other taking the lead depending how the system is stressed (over simplified examples: needs TF.. xbox wins... Stress the fillrate.. ps5 wins).

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
What why ps5 looks better and runs the same on 60fps, and if the drop the shadows and veg to xsx levels, then 120fps will also run better, this is not looking good for xsx,

what do non fanboy xbox fans think about this, if i was xbox fan, i would be very upset, we are talking about 12tf vs 10.2tf here, there is a hardware bottleneck somewhere.

Yep this sounds about right to me, and no mention of the better controller.

Parity at the bare min for the ps5 at least which we all know is a disaster from a Microsoft point of view.

Ps5 is the real Deal.

does sound like the Xbox has a serious bottleneck somewhere those extra 2 tflops seem to mean nothing.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
rUBoSLp.png

The 120 fps it's a win for series x this time, i think it's depends of dev and their environment
not so fast.

FZ2tthQ.jpg

Game drops frames like crazy on both machines. You see the same drops on the ps5 that you do on the series x in each scene. a few seconds before this screenshot, the ps5 goes down to the 90s.

Shakka43

Just chiming in to say the haptics and triggers are great on the DualSense but I haven't played COD on the PS5 (which is supposed to be even better in that regard).

With that said, I've been playing in resolution mode and it's been solid.
Is this game a free upgrade to the PS4 version or a new release?

Kuranghi

Kinda bounced off this, I think I put too much time into BL2 (400 hours) and this was too similar. I found some pretty fun legendaries in my 15 or so hours with it and some missions were engaging enough. Maybe I'll give it a go on my PS5 if everyone is saying the haptics are good though.

Riky Riky , I know you're going through the thread using the "Empathy" reaction in a sarcastic way, but it actually makes you seem like a total maddo giving everyone you don't like the "crazy eyes" :messenger_tears_of_joy::

oe63m6gt0xf31.png

I could be wrong and your empathy is completely genuine *snigger*.

BigLee74

What why ps5 looks better and runs the same on 60fps, and if the drop the shadows and veg to xsx levels, then 120fps will also run better, this is not looking good for xsx,

what do non fanboy xbox fans think about this, if i was xbox fan, i would be very upset, we are talking about 12tf vs 9tf here, there is a hardware bottleneck somewhere.

Ban this fucker now for saying 9.

DavidGzz

Sadly they gave series x the win for this one without mentioning dual sense advantage

Cause haptics are overrated af. They are neat and not as neat as the quick resume advantage that they also didn't mention. They can't keep getting away with not mentioning the small differences of each console. *Cries in fanboy*

Remember, even a tie is a XSX loss. 12TF, full RDNA2, etc...

Since I paid the same amount for both consoles you're wrong. Besides DF gave it to XSX. I also like how people are like "Noone has 120hz displays." Again now that XSX takes it, when CoD runs slightly better at 120 you all are proclaiming a win.

Last edited:

asustitan

Banned
There was a fair chunk at the end during the 120fps bit Series X was constantly pulling in a higher framerate that wasn't really mentioned.

Just saying.

Yeh the Series X has Series S grass. but still.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Have to admit i genuinely thought there would be a noticeable difference in Cross platform games between XSX vs PS5, wonder if it really is down to the tools on Xbox simply not being as good (for now) as the ones on Sony's machine but for an extra 2tf I was expecting a bigger difference
You won’t see the difference until games are designed to take advantage of the larger number of CU’s the XSX delivers. This reminds me of the early days of Dual Core CPUs vs Quad Core CPUs, for years the Dual Core CPUs that had higher clocks kicked the ass of Quad Core CPUs that were more expensive but only delivered on synthetic multi-core benchmarks.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How u coping with less graphically fidelity on xsx ? Less plant and lower shadow resolution. How's your whole statement about Xss outperforming ps5 going 😅😅.

Its a rhetorical question. No need for answer haha
the funny thing is that it is proof that the xbox one s is holding back the xbox one x and now the xbox series x. devs are using the same xbox one s settings despite the fact that the x1x and xsx have a far better GPU.

In the future, we will see the series s hold back the x.

Series S comes out of this very well, hopefully it shuts up the naysayers some.

Dynamic 1440p, with the lowest resolution being 1188p, at smooth and solid 60fps.

Meanwhile, One X is 1080p at 60fps but has frequent drops to the 40s.

While PS5/XsX seem equal on the whole, as you'd expect, it's XsS that impresses most.

Sw0pDiller

So wait... Series x actually wins one? Great news for the more expensive system. Still... is this 5fps in 120 mode the 2 tf power difference?

Ps5 still the system to beat I guess. Great game btw and very nice this update is free for all systems. When will the vrr system land on ps5? When the 2.1 standard is finished I guess? Don't have the TV for it though...

Cherrypepsi

This just made me burst out laughing so loud that my flatmate woke up

lol at so many team blue shouting “but the dual sense advantage!?!?”. It’s slightly different rumble, it’s irrelevant.

The Xbox wins this one, accept it and get over it.

Just you wait until the tools finally get better on the playstation!
:messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
the funny thing is that it is proof that the xbox one s is holding back the xbox one x and now the xbox series x. devs are using the same xbox one s settings despite the fact that the x1x and xsx have a far better GPU.

In the future, we will see the series s hold back the x.
And it outperforms the PS5 because of it in game just as X1 did against Pro in this game.

sircaw

Banned
lol at so many team blue shouting “but the dual sense advantage!?!?”. It’s slightly different rumble, it’s irrelevant.

The Xbox wins this one, accept it and get over it.

The dual sense is a massive advantage, you will just have to get used to that from now on.

Even if you don't take that or the fast loading into account, just look at the video above you, i am not sure what is going on with xbox but perhaps you can get on twitter and start asking around why it has less detail, environmental effects, shadows etc.

i mean cod was missing muzzle flashes, is this acceptable for you to be running with worse assets when its meant to be the more powerful machine.

Its another L i am afraid Mr unhappy socks, i feel for ya, again.

Like they said the vast majority of people play at 60 fps mode anyways, and the ps5 is the better version, why would you want to play with less detail and shadows, only you can explain that one.

Kuranghi

I used to be really interested in every comparison DF did but now I don't really gaf because its all 3rd party comparisons. I want them to go back to the PC settings videos soon hopefully.

Did they say they stopped that for any reason?

Top Bottom