• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Assassin's Creed Valhalla: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ Series S Next-Gen Comparison!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
ZqdbxV5.gif

Ouch.

ethomaz

Banned
Series S bottoming out at around 1080p while running 30fps is disappointing.
Well least you know what you are buying beforehand.... a capped machine.
I believe it did really fine in the comparison...

And it is not 1080p... "1188p to around 1656p".

It is running great in resolution for the hardware specs.
Maybe 900-1080p it can reach 60fps.

Popup

I like the fact that they were joking about the way people wrongly compare graphics settings by using the 'night and day example' and literally the first thing that happens on the forums is for people to wrongly compare graphics settings by using that same example!!

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
You have been spending all your time making this when you could of been watching the video, Then again i totally understand why you don't want to watch it totally, it's bad news bud, really bad news for you. haha

I guess you got to try get your pot shot in, before the flood arrives. "lollipop_disappointed:
Just having some fun friend. And no, I didn't spend nearly any time on that obviously. We already knew what's in the video so it doesn't change anything. It's still way to early to draw any sweeping conclusions, but have your fun and I will have mine.

ikbalCO

Ouch @ series X version. Especially during the torch parts. There aren’t a lot of tearing like in that indoor scene but suprise effect of it really ruined it for me.
And this is a game with heavy xbox marketing deal. 😔
When it comes to PS5 side, all praises belong to Cerny imo.
Obviously he designed a killer architecture that allows developer gain more performance from a lower spec system.

Andodalf

Banned
Clearly something very wrong with how the Xbox preforms here, it's way off the other titles we've seen, however few. I wonder if it is the SDK/APIs, or is something to do with the hardware interacting with this engine. Looks like I'll be buying the PS version of a AC game since liberation, lol.

... and then proceed to make images further demonstrating how the point Digital Foundry was trying to make was lost on them..

Gaf taught me that games can be completely judged by a single zoomed in and cropped frame tho?

Last edited:

Vognerful

I found someone on reddit saying that the performance issues on xbox series x are similar to this on pc. If that is the case, would that be an engine comparability issue?

Nevertheless, the videos I saw online of this game looks beautiful still on xbox but I am still not sure if I should buy it now or wait for sales.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Just seconds before that comparison they say the only differences you'll see is due to time of day. That comparison is just to prove their point.

Okay last post because I see this going on and on and on.. look below at the background grass. its way blurred out. some parts barely show on the ps5 version. Thats a lesser DOF setting. even the parts that have the same brightness or shadow.

HGWIwVU.png

Last edited:

retsof624

I haven’t noticed any crazy frame drops like in this video on the Series X, but I have experienced some heavy tearing in some parts. Overall, for me, the experience has been very smooth

Okay last post because i see htis going on and on and on.. look below at the background grass. its way blurred out. some parts barely show on the ps5 version. Thats a lesser DOF setting. eve the parts that have the same brightness or shadow.

HGWIwVU.png
He said he looked at the file setting and they are identical. Now we have you, an arm chair analyst saying otherwise cause u r upset?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Not sure if it has any bearing on anything, but I am really suprised at XSS, as if there would be something bottlenecking the XSX...

ethomaz

Banned
Okay last post because i see htis going on and on and on.. look below at the background grass. its way blurred out. some parts barely show on the ps5 version. Thats a lesser DOF setting. even the parts that have the same brightness or shadow.

HGWIwVU.png
That is different scene... you can see the shadow of the tree on his head.
In simple terms the time of the day is not the same in both pics... there is more cloud in Xbox version (due the different time of day) too that affect the shadows.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
OOOFF! DOF is less quality on ps5.

edit : its not about the dark vs light there is clearly more banding, more blobbiness in the ps5 screen. thats a lesser DOF setting.

rsuWG12.png

6e32c8c95efdf3df641f1c6eb58e1c01.gif

Since in the first image the background is brighter than her arms it overtakes them, while in the second her arms are brighter than the background so they appear larger.

You understand that in a defocus by definition the brighter portions of the picture override the darker ones, right? That this is literally how a defocus works, right?

I don't have to explain to you how fucking LIGHT works, right?

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
"- Resolution side, looks like SeX and PS5 run both at dynamic 4k with the 1440p as minimum (6:28)
- The max resolution from SeX and PS5 are 4k, but none system archieve by the time or not spotted "

Dynamic 4k.
can't achieve 4k...

Nani?
Dynamic whatever...

I think it dropped 12 frames on Series X because the game wants you to move a little slow? like the video gif on the left you can see Eivor going too close to another npc. So it's probably a specific tool set that Xbox has given to the devs to reduce frames to maintain player movement in the game world without hitting against each other?

Last edited:
XSX and PS5 are both Beasts, but the XSS is clearly not the 'true' next gen system MS sold it as.

Half the frame rate, a fraction of the resolution, yet still with frame drops and noticeably worse effects.

Really hope it never becomes successful. Let the struggle console slowly die off and hopefully developing for it will be dropped as a requirement.

Top Bottom