• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: The Crew Motorfest - PS5/Series X/S Tech Review- A Great Series Return - But Only 30FPS on Series S

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

As the series' third outing The Crew Motorfest hands in a solid 60fps experience on PS5 and Series X consoles. The open world design is in the same mould as Forza Horizon, and translates well to each. However the result on the 4TF Series S console isn't up to the same standard, where all gameplay is fixed at 30fps - with issues in frame pacing and tearing to boot. Tom investigates the quality of each version.

- Lack of indirect shading etc causes cars to look detached from the world.

Resolution:
- PS5/SX have 2 modes, Resolution = 30 FPS. Performance = 60 FPS.
- Performance Dynamic 1440p to 1152p.
- Resolution: Dynamic 2160p with very rare drops from below it.
- Reconstruction used to reach target resolution using FSR2.
- Performance mode for some things like trees and flags has slightly lesser LoD and shadows.
- Otherwise most settings are identical.
- PS5/SX have a 'practical mirror image' with the same resolution and visual setup.

- Series S only has one 30 FPS mode at launch (adams note: in the pre-release beta Series S had a good 60 FPS mode, this might be reinstated later)
- Settings equivalent to Performance mod on PS5/SX with the same resolution. Dynamic 1440p to 1152, but tends to hang at its native resolution mostly.

Performance:
- PS5 performance in races 60 FPS for vast stretches but can drop to mid 50s, but the drops are not too glaring.
- More regular drops and likely streaming hitching when traversing greater world going from event to event.
- Series X has less drops with only one two drops where PS5 has some stretches.
- SX uses adaptive V-Sync which can cause brief tearing on top of the screen.

- Resolution mode: PS5 30 FPS in races with proper frame pacing, world map has uneven frame pacing, V-sync engaged.
- SX has uneven frame pacing in 30 FPS with the same adaptive V-sync.
- 60 FPS mode is the 'easy opt out' here.

- Series S has tearing, uneven frame pacing and no performance mode to fall back on.
- DF notes that the beta version ran at 60 FPS and they're not sure why the final only has a 30 FPS mode.

Last edited:

adamsapple

For reference this video compared the Beta to the final and while it's not a 100% locked 60, it is still in the 60s range about 96~% of the time in his clips.

Which makes is extremely bizarre why the Series S's 60 FPS was taken out of the final game. Lower resolution aside, it ran really good.

Someone fucked up with the Gold code.

Last edited:

acm2000

For reference this video compared the Beta to the final and while it's not a 100% locked 60, it is still in the 60s range about 96~% of the time in his clips.

Which makes is extremely bizarre why the Series S's 60 FPS was taken out of the final game. Lower resolution aside, it ran really good.

Someone fucked up with the Gold code.

true made up fact: jim ryan paid them to remove it

Elysium44

Banned
I tried the demo on Series S and it was terrible, not just the 30fps but it was very uneven frame pacing so I just deleted it after a few minutes.

Lysandros

Seem to be pretty evenly matched between XSX-PS5 (what a surprise) based on the summary. Another case of full Vsync vs adaptive Vsync situation to be added to the list by the way.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I tried the demo on Series S and it was terrible, not just the 30fps but it was very uneven frame pacing so I just deleted it after a few minutes.

See the video in my second post, someone really fucked up on Series S. The beta had a very good 60 FPS mode.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Game is pushing incredible draw distances and insane amount of foliage. Im surprised it runs at 60 fps at all. It is very heavy on my PC and rightfully so. It might not look as good as Forza Horizon 5 but its doing some fancy things with the engine. play the off road events motorostorm pacific rift fans!

Lysandros

Okay after watching the video the state of 30 FPS/4K mode on XSX/XSS seem to be pretty unacceptable, a total stutter and tearing fest.

adamsapple

30 FPS better on PS5
60 FPS better on SX

Whichever mode is one's preferred. I, personally, think the 60 FPS mode is more important for a racer. Others may disagree.

King Dazzar

I tried the demo on PS5 in performance mode and thought it looked pretty ropey. No where near the visual quality of either Forza Horizon 4 or 5. Uninstalled, not for me.

adamsapple

I'm actually quite surprised how good it looks on XSX/PS5 even in perf mode. Have both the crew games - and although they're not forza horizon good - they're still pretty enjoyable open world arcade racers so I'll probably pick this one up once I see a good discount on the physical game.

This game wears its inspirations very brazenly on its sleeves, but doesn't come close to it. Maybe the next entry will be a genuine FH competitor.

Top Bottom