• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Assassin's Creed Valhalla: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ Series S Next-Gen Comparison!

giphy.gif

Gotta say I'm very surprised. I'm getting PS5 tommorow (UK) as I already have a decent pc, but I was certain that xbox series x would run multplats significantly better. I even said on a few posts that specs don't lie. Sony did great stuff here and after dissing Cerny in various threads, I apologise. Hats off sir, guess he did know his shit all along.

Can't wait to get my hands on the PS5 Beast tommorow, has been agonising watching all these vids knowing it's out in some territories.

I don't think either party was dishonest with the specifications. The issue was the way people were interpreting the information that they were given. Microsoft was correct to focus on flops for marketing because that's the best way for average gamers to understand which system is more powerful.

Unfortunately for Microsoft there's alot more to performance than just Teraflops. If something goes wrong then sometimes they don't end up being the best way to measure performance in games.

Whether it's the dev tools or the actual design of the hardware something is making Teraflop comparisons look out of place with these two systems.

Romulus

Tools won't give the PS5 2 more TFLOPs and 16 more Compute Units.

Let's look at the past, how many consoles started out winning multiplatform, then suddenly started losing? Even PS3 which is an extreme example could barely muster a small % of multiplatform wins after years of losing and developing better tools for exploiting its "potential." We have about 3-4 years before mid gen refreshes(considering how well the last ones sold), and the only chance XSX has at this point has is to split the difference. Win some, lose some. You will not see huge wins like PS2 vs Xbox or even lesser PS4 vs Xbox one type diffferences. Those days are over, and anything X or PS5 win will mostly be caught up in dynamic resolution or a few frames. All this "most powerful" console stuff is horseshit.

Last edited:

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
People are taking this to much to heart. Yes the PS5 version performs better, that doesn't change much.

We have several example of games running better on PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X. Nobody is saying the PS4 Pro is more powerful...

Skifi28

I wonder how long Xbox dev kits are going to be immature? How long can we grasp on that lifeboat? 6 months? 1 year?

Wait until E3.

People are taking this to much to heart. Yes the PS5 version performs better, that doesn't change much.

We have several example of games running better on PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X. Nobody is saying the PS4 Pro is more powerful...

They may run better in terms of framerate, but usually the X has much higher resolution (sometimes devs were a bit too ambitious) showing the gap in GPU power. In the few games where they are at the same res, I can't imagine a single case where the Pro performs better.

Last edited:

ABnormal

Someone could ask why the ps5 can't stay at 4k and 60fps...what's the missing piece of the puzzle?

Are you serious? Doing stable 4k/60 fps is very simple for these consoles... if you keep rendering comlexity below a certain level.

Developers simply try to push as much as possible, playing around the limits. When a particular game situation goes beyond that limit, something has to be lowered. It's just a developer's choice.

Last edited:

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Wait until E3.

They may run better in terms of framerate, but usually the X has much higher resolution (sometimes devs were a bit too ambitious) showing the gap in GPU power. In the few games where they are at the same res, I can't imagine a single case where the Pro performs better.

Actually the Pro performed better on some japanese games that are often better optimised for the PS4 Pro.

jaysius

Banned
As I said before, Ps4 had a power advantage from Day One
BUT let's not forget how Ps3 suffered for years until Devs got familiarized with the system (and its tools). GTA 5 runs better on ps3, GTA 4 doesn't.

PS3 games not only looked like PURE SHIT but also ran like cats with tinsel hanging out of their assholes.

The PS3 was awful until 2 years into it's life, then it finally had parity with the 360, even then image quality suffered in games that were grainy AF like Red Dead Redemption.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Jesus the 15% wasn't the worst case for Series X, it was the minimum average gap throughout the clip! That's a massive gap in performance.

He is still being dishonest. the clip can be seen here. you can see the xbox framerate stay between 46-48 while the ps5 remains locked with just a couple of drops to 58 and 59. even if you take the lowest ps5 number and the lowest xbox number, the gap is 25% or more for the average through out that clip.

timestamped. 14:04 to 14:23. Xbox starts at 49 then stays at 47-48 for the rest of the 20 second clip dropping to 46 once. PS5 literally drops down to 58 once for a second then goes back to 60 fps locked for the entire 20 second clip. one drop.

And regardless, in the article, there is no mention of average. He wrote 'at its worst' and still mentioned 15%. absolute nonsense. no at its worst, its 46 vs 60 fps. which is a 30% difference.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Its so bizzare, since MS had these console out for a while for some reason i thought this gen their were more prepared and confident but the tools are not matured enough?

aren't they the one taunting about no more generation, etc. they should first focus on how to scale their own games across their home hardware and make it easy to develop

Super disappointed, instead of seeing an advantage of better GPU we are seeing worse performance *facepalm*

I don't know what to believe anymore, i mean number don't lie but at the same time its a stornger hardware and performing worse. Both of this is true lol

Skifi28

Actually the Pro performed better on some japanese games that are often better optimised for the PS4 Pro.

I don't know if you're referring to obscure stuff, I can't think of any well known games with that behavior. Some examples would be nice. Even so, the point still stands 1-2 games don't mean much when talking about the general trend.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Xbox 360 won the first head to heads and maintained that over the course of the gen
PS4 won the first head to heads and maintained that
One X won the first head to heads and maintained that
Reading between the noise the PS5 will likely increase it’s performance more from here. I make this assumption based on the following;

Carney presented the geometry engine as a programmable unit capable of some serious rendering impact. This is a new paradigm, and anything new is not used early on in a tech lifecycle, we are yet to see this implemented.

The SSD is not just a fast loading device in next gen. It is a memory feeding machine. Again detailed by Cerney. Games will need to cut loose their last gen ambitions to exploit this new way of design.

We’ve seen the UE5 demo. This is the future, based on the above components. It won’t just be Ue5 to exploit the techniques, other engines and developers will tap into next gen design in time.

Very early days for ps5.

Yoboman

He is still being dishonest. the clip can be seen here. you can see the xbox framerate stay between 46-48 while the ps5 remains locked with just a couple of drops to 58 and 59. even if you take the lowest ps5 number and the lowest xbox number, the gap is 25% or more for the average through out that clip.

timestamped. 14:04 to 14:23. Xbox starts at 49 then stays at 47-48 for the rest of the 20 second clip dropping to 46 once. PS5 literally drops down to 58 once for a second then goes back to 60 fps locked for the entire 20 second clip. one drop.

And regardless, in the article, there is no mention of average. He wrote 'at its worst' and still mentioned 15%. absolute nonsense. no at its worst, its 46 vs 60 fps. which is a 30% difference.

How long until we get a DF article, "Does framerate really matter?"

Name one game that performs better on ps4 pro on the same resolution. Its clear the xsx has some bottle necks, which probably needs a lot of effort to work around, doubt any devs will bother outside of first party.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Dude, with all the crow xbox fanboys are eating i doubt your will leave anything for the future, those birds are going the way of the dodo
How do you like yours? Extra crispy? After all the stuff Sony had to walk back these last few months, you would think you guys would be a little more cautious than to get hot and heavy with multi-platform cross gen games.

There's a reason MS dev tools are late. They waited at the absolute latest moment to get the best silicon AMD had. When the games start pulling away, they will pull away.

Last edited:

Greggy

I wonder how long Xbox dev kits are going to be immature? How long can we grasp on that lifeboat? 6 months? 1 year?
A year from now, if we still haven't reached the shore, I'm off the boat.
On a serious note, there's plenty of highly performing games on XSX, Valhalla just happens to not be one of them.
Gears 5 is breathtaking and Call of the Sea apparently runs at 4k120 with RT but gosh does this console need some bangers. I really hope to see another Hellblade 2 trailer at the Game awards..

paypay88

Banned
Why the fuck xbox fans trying to find excuses when that should be Microsoft's job. Pathetic tbh .

Seems clear PS5 gonna be clear winner like PS4 in terms of sales and their meme marketing PR just fall down after launch.

Releasing a 500$ console with no games was always absolute joke move. Here play these games you already played hehe now 10 fps more.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Damn, so he confirms that PS5 is using V-Sync, which has an FPS penalty on PS5 in favor of avoiding tearing, yet it's much more stable both resolution and FPS! Without PS5's V-Sync and with unlocked framerates the difference is going to be staggering if it's already 15% average with more than 30% max (as in one point it was running 1440p on XSX and 1720p on PS5, so it's not a clean cut).

Javthusiast

Banned
Sending my Series S back to MediaMarkt as I am still in the 14 day return option period.

Yes GamePass has a lot of games, but so does my psplus and psn backlog that I still have barely touched. EA play is mostly old stuff and I hated how Jedi Fallen Order felt playing anyway.

Unfortunately I already spend 45€ on 12 months xbox live gold which I then converted to 14 months of game pass ultimate for 1€. But my crappy pc will be able to play some old games plus many indies I think, so I will get my moneys worth there.

If I won't be able to snag a ps5 this thursday while refreshing multiple retailer sites like a maniac, then I will use the currently running MediaMarkt offer of a Switch Lite plus Mario 3d All Stars collection for 229€ and enjoy Nintendo exclusives in addition to my old rusty ps4. xD

Why obsess over what is clearly a bug on the Series X? It’s dropping 14FPS after equipping a torch. Clearly something isn’t quite right. Between that, the stuttering cutscene camera and pretty bad tearing I’d say some further work may be in order on the Series version. Still, great to see the PS5 yet again with consistent launch title performance.

paypay88

Banned
Sending my Series S back to MediaMarkt as I am still in the 14 day return option period.

Yes GamePass has a lot of games, but so does my psplus and psn backlog that I still have barely touched. EA play is mostly old stuff and I hated how Jedi Fallen Order felt playing anyway.

Unfortunately I already spend 45€ on 12 months xbox live gold which I then converted to 14 months of game pass ultimate for 1€. But my crappy pc will be able to play some old games plus many indies I think, so I will get my moneys worth there.

If I won't be able to snag a ps5 this thursday while refreshing multiple retailer sites like a maniac, then I will use the currently running MediaMarkt offer of a Switch Lite plus Mario 3d All Stars collection for 229€ and enjoy Nintendo exclusives in addition to my old rusty ps4. xD
Seems good idea if you arent interested in their games. I'm personally sick of Forza halo gears or fable tbh. None of titles evolve and courage to redefine them like gow 2018.

Rather play 10 great games that i will always remember then fodder of zzz pass

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why obsess over what is clearly a bug on the Series X? It’s dropping 14FPS after equipping a torch. Clearly something isn’t quite right. Between that, the stuttering cutscene camera and pretty bad tearing I’d say some further work may be in order on the Series version. Still, great to see the PS5 yet again with consistent launch title performance.
You do know that its stuttering because the resolution is too high? the stuttering is a symptom of not a bug but poor performance.

Also, the PS5 has vsync and the xbox series x doesnt. vsync is usually a hit on the gpu as well. not sure how much.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Its so bizzare, since MS had these console out for a while for some reason i thought this gen their were more prepared and confident but the tools are not matured enough?

aren't they the one taunting about no more generation, etc. they should first focus on how to scale their own games across their home hardware and make it easy to develop

Super disappointed, instead of seeing an advantage of better GPU we are seeing worse performance *facepalm*

I don't know what to believe anymore, i mean number don't lie but at the same time its a stornger hardware and performing worse. Both of this is true lol

MS used great "marketing" to trick gamers, gaming journalists, and YouTubers. They did it before with the "Power of the Cloud" talk. MS does this a lot without backing things up. There was always going to be generations. It's been this way for 30+ years in the console industry. There's nothing that MS can do to stop that.

diffusionx

Gold Member
PS5 gets the obvious win here, which it should not have based on everything we have heard, but I can't wait until we can stop talking about this garbage dump game.

We do, but one of the first One X enhanced games was Shadow of War, which blew away the Pro - higher res, frame rate, used the 12GB of RAM for better textures, etc.

The Series X performance is just not good enough here, as DF even says in the video.

So the loading time difference is just 3 seconds. 23 vs 26 right?

PS5 was supposed to perform 100% better at 13 seconds to be exact.

Is it fair to say that PS5 tools is immature too?
Loading is not all done by the SSD. Those 3 seconds are probably result of

PS5 SSD advantage loading + PS5 CPU doing work - XSX CPU advantage doing work = 3s

Last time I'm posting this:

According to Dirt 5's technical director in this interview 2 days ago, Xbox's SDK/GDK is mostly complete:

David Spingate said:
(Are MS dev tools a bit further behind than Sony's?) I mean I wouldn't say that. That depends on your experience....thinking about tools, everything is coming in a bit hot.

(I am hearing that GDK is basically in its infancy and there is a lot of stuff in on the table?)
It's in its infancy, because it's new, but it's not particurly lacking...

(Like barebones?) It's not barebones, they brought a lot, no, most of the tools over from of SDK in terms of familitary and how it works, in fact stability and speed improved a lot on GDK, but yeah, I am happy with it, if anything there is very little small things I would like, I have weekly meetings with XBOX and my account manager get a lot of feedback from me, I am actually very happy with it.

Timestamped:

This kinda debunks the claim that Series X is behind because the tools are behind Sony's....

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
It's pretty obvious that the issue with the Xbox Series X is that developers haven't had enough time to develop their games on it as they've had with the PlayStation 5 due to its dev kits arriving late. Also, its API probably needs to be updated.

Keep in mind that I don't have an Xbox Series X; I have a PlayStation 5 and a PC. However, I'm not biased.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
MS used great "marketing" to trick gamers, gaming journalists, and YouTubers. They did it before with the "Power of the Cloud" talk. MS does this a lot without backing things up. There was always going to be generations. It's been this way for 30+ years in the console industry. There's nothing that MS can do to stop that.

lol wut? nah generation thing has already gone. All your accessories and games coming forward also old hardwares will still be supported for 2-3 years. And considering those were jaguar CPU thats still nuts. series x and ps5 will easily last even longer. Anyways thats not the part that pissed me off. MS just didn't apply blurring the new and old generation logic to their dev tools. They should have been matured enough for devs to fully take advantage (If tools are to blame)

So both john and richard from DF are lying ?

Maybe not all dev kits are the same. I read about Sony having multiple dev kits so maybe the same happened with Microsoft.

However I don't know if everything is the tools fault. I really doubt Colts claims of a 50% performance lead when the tools get fixed. I honestly never seen anything like that happen before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom