• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"DEATHLOOP" |OT| Down the rabbit hole, everyone's a winner

HotPocket69

Banned

😂😂😂

isiwS9W.png

32hours later, just got the true ending, loved every minute of it. If I were to give it a score it would be a solid 8/10. I haven't read or seen any reviews so I need to check those out to see what exactly compelled some individuals to give it a 10 but ultimately these are all opinions and highly subjective. Dishonored is stronger, Prey is is about even, these are *my* opinions.

The industry needs games like this though, games unafraid to do something completely new and potentially alienating, it's how things move forward, how ideas are sparked and other devs watching are inspired. I wish there were more ways than one to reach the true ending, I wish there were more ways to spend residium (custom outfits, gun camos etc), I wish there were more areas and less repetition. I'm so happy this game exists though, happy to have supported Arkane day 1, might go for the plat.

Oh, and invaders get wrecked every single time they try to touch my loop, good times 😆.

Dr. Suchong

Some of the speedruns on this are going to be insane.
Maybe there could be leaderboards for such a thing, in a update to give the game some legs post completion.

shubik

This game is absolutely special. Is it perfect? hell no! But it has that "one more run" feeling to it. Just like Hades. I honestly don´t know when I was this hooked to a game the last time.

The soundtrack, the art style, the interior design, the reload animation and even the audio transmissions. Everything has an extra level of detail and love to it. The world feels filled to the brim with little hidden extras. I think I´m around 20 hours now and I hope the game keeps on going. Love it. i would describe it as a love child between dishonored and Bioshock

I really am enjoying this one but the multiplayer is such wasted potential. It's always so easy to kill Juliana and difficult the other way around. Saying nothing about the network issues and wait times. Melee, mines and slabs need a rebalance for PvP.
The other major criticism I have is although the loop mechanic is clever and novel there are plenty of times I wish I was playing a series of levels and linear plotline. The puzzles and experimentation that require prior planning and dedicated runs become too arduous for their rewards or payoff.
Some advice for newcomers would be power through with story and don't get attached to your equipment early on... and disregard people saying you should turn off objective markers.

Everyone should be encouraged to eventually give it a go nonetheless.

GymWolf

That feeling the other player must get when you have spent about 40 mins pretending to be a lowly guard in the bunker and he thinks you must of bugged out so he tries to stealth past you to kill the visionary but you backstab his ass from nowhere….I like this game
Yeah the VS mode is fucking hilarious.

I had a guy trolling me for like 30 min because he wasn't even trying to kill me, just shooting close to me, alerting npc, disguising as one of them etc.

balt1kr1s

I really am enjoying this one but the multiplayer is such wasted potential. It's always so easy to kill Juliana and difficult the other way around. Saying nothing about the network issues and wait times. Melee, mines and slabs need a rebalance for PvP.
The other major criticism I have is although the loop mechanic is clever and novel there are plenty of times I wish I was playing a series of levels and linear plotline. The puzzles and experimentation that require prior planning and dedicated runs become too arduous for their rewards or payoff.
Some advice for newcomers would be power through with story and don't get attached to your equipment early on... and disregard people saying you should turn off objective markers.

Everyone should be encouraged to eventually give it a go nonetheless.
If you want to be deadly as Julianna, grab Charlie’s shotgun with trinkets for bigger ammo clip, faster reload and decreased recoil. (It’s a fucking murder machine)Then personal trinket that heals you on melee hits so you can heal yourself between kills.

tommib

I lose at half of my online invasions. I find them quite stressful because I’m normally carrying a lot of residium and I’m about to leave the level. I did play hide an seek with and invader. We were constantly using invisibility until I missed a jump by the ice water. Very embarrassing.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I lose at half of my online invasions. I find them quite stressful because I’m normally carrying a lot of residium and I’m about to leave the level. I did play hide an seek with and invader. We were constantly using invisibility until I missed a jump by the ice water. Very embarrassing.
I've had so many invasion wins from people falling in the ice. It's great seeing the "Julianna is dead" message and then finding the residuum "body" next to a cliff.

SCB3

Into the Endgame now and fuck me Alexis' whole mission chain is a nightmare, just getting to the Party is bad enough, but Juliana seems to just camp there and everytime I tried to just do the thing I needed there, it was chaos, at least its done now, now for the last part

Alebrije

A played most of Arkane games and Deadloop is basically the Prey DLC as a whole game.....

Hope someday they deliver Prey 2 and keep this gameplay style where you have a lot o freedom and approachs.

My only concern with Deadpool was the small island, I mean Prey DLC was on a small area but was just a DLC, on a whole game reptitve areas could become boring

The game is a 7 or 8 not a 10 score, if you played Arkane games before you wont see something breaktakibg just the good old gameplay a little refined.

SCB3

Well, I rolled credits, damned fun game a solid 8 or 9 for me. I accidently
killed Juliana, bloody loose trigger finger at the end
I never played Dishonored but I think I may do, they're on Gamepass so worth a shot, especially if it more of this

The other day some friends were online. 1 was sharing their screen and he was in the beginning still tryna get the hang of things. He had just gotten to the part where he can get invaded by a real Juliana.

We get to a point where he gets invaded and things get super super tense bc he had just gotten the Classpass and was trying to escape to the exit.

It had been a few mins and there was still no trace of Juliana... So he jumped up on a track to view where he has to go to leave until BAM 1 Shot KO

The chat erupts in confusion and laughter to find out my our other friend that was hoppin in and watching had just got to the part where you can invade a game and he was watching my mans screen the whole time plotting his kill 😂 was so damn funny.

tommib

Into the Endgame now and fuck me Alexis' whole mission chain is a nightmare, just getting to the Party is bad enough, but Juliana seems to just camp there and everytime I tried to just do the thing I needed there, it was chaos, at least its done now, now for the last part
I just killed him but not on the endgame and it was quite tough. There’s a health regenerator kind of nearby and that helped. I now have the slab that makes enemies fly.

I’m assuming this sequence gets much harder at the end? There were a lot of wolf masks enemies. I killed them all since I didn’t know who Alexis was.

Anyone going for the platinum after finishing the game? The game is now getting ridiculously addictive.

Phase

Yeah the VS mode is fucking hilarious.

I had a guy trolling me for like 30 min because he wasn't even trying to kill me, just shooting close to me, alerting npc, disguising as one of them etc.
I think you've just given me a reason to buy the game. I'll wait for big discount though.

Last edited:

balt1kr1s

I just killed him but not on the endgame and it was quite tough. There’s a health regenerator kind of nearby and that helped. I now have the slab that makes enemies fly.

I’m assuming this sequence gets much harder at the end? There were a lot of wolf masks enemies. I killed them all since I didn’t know who Alexis was.

Anyone going for the platinum after finishing the game? The game is now getting ridiculously addictive.
Me, finished the game 2 days ago and now going trophy by trophy. 20% left :D

A little tip for Alexis - he is the only one with two golden SMGs - always.

Last edited:

Certinty

Just completed it and had a good time. By far the most addicted I’ve got to a game in a while, three hours felt like an hour.

Story was meh and the AI lacklustre but I thought the only a few maps thing worked really well, made getting to know the area and how to navigate it pretty fun.

Definitely not a game I’ll ever touch again but more than happy I gave it a chance. Can’t say I fully understand the rave reviews but it’s no doubt a good game.

The other day some friends were online. 1 was sharing their screen and he was in the beginning still tryna get the hang of things. He had just gotten to the part where he can get invaded by a real Juliana.

We get to a point where he gets invaded and things get super super tense bc he had just gotten the Classpass and was trying to escape to the exit.

It had been a few mins and there was still no trace of Juliana... So he jumped up on a track to view where he has to go to leave until BAM 1 Shot KO

The chat erupts in confusion and laughter to find out my our other friend that was hoppin in and watching had just got to the part where you can invade a game and he was watching my mans screen the whole time plotting his kill 😂 was so damn funny.

Quick question, is the classpass the thing you get going into
Frank
's place? Have a side mission where a door requires it but I wasn't sure. If its not that just say no please

Played a few days of MP now after beating the game.

I have played a lot of both sides now. And I can say being the invader/Julianna is generally more challenging than defending as Colt. Colt simply has more advantages to his side. Biggest of which is because Colt has 3 lives! But man is it satisfying when you still kill him 3 times in a row!

You get points towards lvl up even from 1 kill. So a full clear is not necessary to keep advancing. But still, the full clear is what we strive for.

If you have patience and don't try to play it as somekind of 1v1 deathmatch game Julianna can be devastating. The amateur move is to try to camp the radio antenna. But the disadvantage to this is MOST Coles expect this. And basically you are going to be a pretty unfair 1v1 in a zone Cole probably knows pretty well.

The technique that works best for me is to ambush from creative places he is not expecting. Either in route to the antenna. Or en route to the Visionary target.

The first kill is usually no problem if you get the jump on him. Its kills 2 and 3 that will be the challenge. And generally it is better to relocate immediately after each kill. Trying to face him head on in the location you just killed him is usually not going to go your way. Because he has a full health bar and knows your location now. Julianna's biggest advantage is suprise. Because this is not Dark Souls. Fights in this game are over in seconds once the gun fight starts.

I generally run into 2 kinds of Cole players. The very stealthy type and the very agressive kitted out for pvp type. And the agressive Cole is usually the more successful one on average. Simply because like I said, they have 3 lives. And they know you don't. And generally thier gear and loadout will be better. Because it is very easy to aquire good trinkets and weapons for Cole via the story mode. While Julianna only earns an handfull of random weapons and trinkets each hard earned level up.

Some interesting things many inexperienced players don't seem to know: Sound does not carry very far at all in multiplayer. It is a MUCH shorter range than you would expect. Cole could be in a full on gun fight at a range somewhere relatively near that you think you should hear and you will hear nothing. Real world physics do not apply here.

So forget about waiting for foot step sounds. Even if he is at full sprint you will NOT hear him until he is VERY close. Like a few meters away.

But the funny thing a lot of players who try to play a stealth Cole don't know is how LOUD Shift is. When you play PvE in the story mode NPCs dont hear Shift. Many Coles have a false sense of security because of this. But the Julianna player hears Shift or any any power usage VERY well. :messenger_smiling_horns: Its like ringing a dinner bell. 90% of the that is how I know a Cole is around because I hear him Shift.

Anyway, killing Cole 3 times is a real challenge for Julianna. It requires a lot of patience, or the Cole player has to be a complete noob. I go in playing as Cole intentionally for PvP now. And if the Julianna is very good, maybe they will kill me once maybe twice if they get lucky. But three times is very unusual. I would have to fuck up pretty badly. A knowledgeable Cole has an overwhelming advantage.

GymWolf

Played a few days of MP now after beating the game.

I have played a lot of both sides now. And I can say being the invader/Julianna is generally more challenging than defending as Colt. Colt simply has more advantages to his side. Biggest of which is because Colt has 3 lives! But man is it satisfying when you still kill him 3 times in a row!

You get points towards lvl up even from 1 kill. So a full clear is not necessary to keep advancing. But still, the full clear is what we strive for.

If you have patience and don't try to play it as somekind of 1v1 deathmatch game Julianna can be devastating. The amateur move is to try to camp the radio antenna. But the disadvantage to this is MOST Coles expect this. And basically you are going to be a pretty unfair 1v1 in a zone Cole probably knows pretty well.

The technique that works best for me is to ambush from creative places he is not expecting. Either in route to the antenna. Or en route to the Visionary target.

The first kill is usually no problem if you get the jump on him. Its kills 2 and 3 that will be the challenge. And generally it is better to relocate immediately after each kill. Trying to face him head on in the location you just killed him is usually not going to go your way. Because he has a full health bar and knows your location now. Julianna's biggest advantage is suprise. Because this is not Dark Souls. Fights in this game are over in seconds once the gun fight starts.

I generally run into 2 kinds of Cole players. The very stealthy type and the very agressive kitted out for pvp type. And the agressive Cole is usually the more successful one on average. Simply because like I said, they have 3 lives. And they know you don't. And generally thier gear and loadout will be better. Because it is very easy to aquire good trinkets and weapons for Cole via the story mode. While Julianna only earns an handfull of random weapons and trinkets each hard earned level up.

Some interesting things many inexperienced players don't seem to know: Sound does not carry very far at all in multiplayer. It is a MUCH shorter range than you would expect. Cole could be in a full on gun fight at a range somewhere relatively near that you think you should hear and you will hear nothing. Real world physics do not apply here.

So forget about waiting for foot step sounds. Even if he is at full sprint you will NOT hear him until he is VERY close. Like a few meters away.

But the funny thing a lot of players who try to play a stealth Cole don't know is how LOUD Shift is. When you play PvE in the story mode NPCs dont hear Shift. Many Coles have a false sense of security because of this. But the Julianna player hears Shift or any any power usage VERY well. :messenger_smiling_horns: Its like ringing a dinner bell. 90% of the that is how I know a Cole is around because I hear him Shift.

Anyway, killing Cole 3 times is a real challenge for Julianna. It requires a lot of patience, or the Cole player has to be a complete noob. I go in playing as Cole intentionally for PvP now. And if the Julianna is very good, maybe they will kill me once maybe twice if they get lucky. But three times is very unusual. I would have to fuck up pretty badly. A knowledgeable Cole has an overwhelming advantage.
Didn't know that deathloop was really an infamous crossover.

DonJorginho

Banned
What's everyone's favourite slab combos?

Mine has to be Shift and Aether right now for stealthier runs, but I am interested in putting more time into Nexus for clearing out rooms in a fast time.

No Way Meme GIF

Why are you advocating for people to blindly speed through the game when that's the worst way to experience it?

What's the rush?
Because I can imagine many people will give up before that get the ability to infuse their gear.
If you explore too much early on, which is a side effect of no map markers, you will feel you have seen 80% of the maps after the first visit. These game worlds do play best when crawled through leisurely.
Take your time after you get to that point but before it's best to follow the story to get invested.

GHG

Because I can imagine many people will give up before that get the ability to infuse their gear.
If you explore too much early on, which is a side effect of no map markers, you will feel you have seen 80% of the maps after the first visit. These game worlds do play best when crawled through leisurely.
Take your time after you get to that point but before it's best to follow the story to get invested.

Ah gotcha, yeh I agree in not exploring at all until you get the infusion ability.

After that though I'd recommend turning off the markers and going exploring to let things uncover themselves more naturally.

Honestly I think the game should default to having markers on during the opening part to make it clear that everything up to acquiring infusion ability is the "tutorial", and then the game should turn the markers off and state it's optional to turn them back on (only if you are completely lost/stuck).

GymWolf

Mine has to be Shift and Aether right now for stealthier runs, but I am interested in putting more time into Nexus for clearing out rooms in a fast time.
Depends on the objective.

If you need to reach secondary routes shift sometimes is needed, the double jump is not enough.

Invisibility and domino is my usual combo because you can explore and kill group of enemies without being seen.

Karnesis and the one that gives you attack boost when i just want to go crazy and kill everyone at loud.

Karnesis is useless until you get the multiple people lift and people turning into to bombs upgrade, much faster to use guns.

Last edited:

SCB3

Depends on the objective.

If you need to reach secondary routes shift sometimes is needed, the double jump is not enough.

Invisibility and domino is my usual combo because you can explore and kill group of enemies without being seen.

Karnesis and the one that gives you attack boost when i just want to go crazy and kill everyone at loud.

Karnesis is useless until you get the multiple people lift and people turning into to bombs upgrade, much faster to use guns.
Tbh outside of Shift and Aether, I never felt a need for the others aside from messing with them or quick runs

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I seriously hope that sales are strong and that Arkane is going to bounce back, from lackluster sales of previous titles. They made the smartest level design.

Sgt.Asher

I'd put it at an

Shift and nexus. Enemies like to group up and nexus is the best for clearing them out. Nexus can also fully heal you when three enemies are linked.

Top Bottom