• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"DEATHLOOP" |OT| Down the rabbit hole, everyone's a winner

tommib

I somehow made it all the way through the day without dying. I had some VERY close calls though. Sometimes had no lives left and very low health.
Any tips? I’ve died on my way back 3 times already. I think I need to drop my combo of nexus and shift.

ebevan91

Any tips? I’ve died on my way back 3 times already. I think I need to drop my combo of nexus and shift.

I pretty much used Nexus and Shift the entire game. When I find an area that looks hard to get through, I just link a few guys together and hit them with the nail gun. Eventually I would just sprint/shift from the tunnel to the objective lol. I'd lose the enemies that spotted me and they'd stop looking for me. I only used a loud gun when I got caught and had to fight.

tommib

I pretty much used Nexus and Shift the entire game. When I find an area that looks hard to get through, I just link a few guys together and hit them with the nail gun. Eventually I would just sprint/shift from the tunnel to the objective lol. I'd lose the enemies that spotted me and they'd stop looking for me. I only used a loud gun when I got caught and had to fight.
Will try being silent tomorrow. I’m a shotgun nut so I go very loud everywhere. Probably not the best for the wolf party. 💀

ebevan91

Will try being silent tomorrow. I’m a shotgun nut so I go very loud everywhere. Probably not the best for the wolf party. 💀

For that I actually did go loud by sniping from the rooftop. Linked a bunch of guys together with the upgraded nexus and killed like 10 at once in the main room. Then picked off others before searching the mansion for the targets.

Finally wrapped up Deathloop including all side quests and collectibles.

Positives
-Superb and silky smooth gameplay, variety of weapons, and supernatural abilities.
-Intriguing story premise
-Intrigued by the nonlinear storytelling.
-Fantastic dialogue writing, dialogue delivery by Colt and Juliana voice actors.
-One of the best implementations of haptic feedback, adaptive triggers.
-stellar audio design and a fantastic soundtrack.

Neutral
-Needs player to be very very attentive, bring up the touchpad menu to read a lot of sheets of info on what where, and when to progress in the game. This game might not be for some casual/ADHD players.
-Game has zero hand-holding. Though I’m all for minimal hand-holding in games, so much of the game isn’t explained easily/clearly to the player.
-wtf of an ending. Missed the opportunity for exploring a few important characters.

Negatives
-Way too many progression hindering bugs as I pulled up the touchpad to read the case story files. The game would glitch leaving me no choice but to restart the loop by restarting the game app.
-Having to take the player back to the main menu to sync with the server when we finish a section and then giving the player access to load the next section or time of day feels archaic.

I’d give the game an 8.5/10 and definitely recommend it for Arkane fans.

Disclaimer: This is my first ever experiencing of an Arkane Game.

Thank you for suggesting to post it here tommib tommib

Last edited:

M.W.

Positives
-Superb and silky smooth gameplay, variety of weapons, and supernatural abilities.
-Fantastic dialogue writing, dialogue delivery by Colt and Juliana voice actors.

Neutral
-Needs player to be very very attentive, bring up the touchpad menu to read a lot of sheets of info on what where, and when to progress in the game. This game might not be for some casual/ADHD players.
-Game has zero hand-holding. Though I’m all for minimal hand-holding in games, so much of the game isn’t explained easily/clearly to the player.
-wtf of an ending. Missed the opportunity for exploring a few important characters.

Negatives
-Way too many progression hindering bugs as I pulled up the touchpad to read the case story files. The game would glitch leaving me no choice but to restart the loop by restarting the game app.
-Having to take the player back to the main menu to sync with the server when we finish a section and then giving the player access to load the next section or time of day feels archaic.

First thing you say is silky smooth gameplay...lol, i'm out.

He hates the game. Engage at your own peril.

Not liking a game is fine, people will have their reasons for not liking the game. For me, the first 5-7 hours had me clueless on what needs to be done and where I need to go. The more I started paying attention to the clues, files, and what not I started to get a grip on things in the game. The next 20 hours were superb. The only thing that frustrated me way more than the first 5-7 hours of the game was the insane amount of progression hindering bugs that I'd run into.

tommib

Not liking a game is fine, people will have their reasons for not liking the game. For me, the first 5-7 hours had me clueless on what needs to be done and where I need to go. The more I started paying attention to the clues, files, and what not I started to get a grip on things in the game. The next 20 hours were superb. The only thing that frustrated me way more than the first 5-7 hours of the game was the insane amount of progression hindering bugs that I'd run into.
Totally. The tutorial goes for far too long and I wonder if there was a better way to explain the complex structure of the game. Game director said on an interview that they considered the From Software approach of not explaining anything and let people find out. I think that would’ve been a disaster since even with the tutorial you take your time to understand the loop structure and how the different daytimes affect chasing the leads.

I’m on the end game and the game is all you could ask for in terms of fluid gameplay and level exploration. I do hate the logging into server after finishing a run. I’ve said before, there are too many stops and starts to make it a perfect game.

Last edited:

Positives

Neutral

Negatives

The one thing i will say about the game is a felt they left alot of hooks for an sequel or add-on as there are some character's that are touched on (without getting into spoilers)
but are never explored in the main game...i suspect we will probably see this next year when it comes to gamepass as Arkane has made some awesome addons to their existing games
Death to the outsider is a masterpiece of changing things up

SJRB

Gold Member

Positives

Neutral

Negatives

I'm not sure how you can say the game has zero handholding when there's a 4-hour tutorial and a seemingly endless barrage of menu prompts in between day sections. There is SO much the game wants to tell you it is overwhelming.

If any, this is one of the most frontloaded, tutorial-heavy games I've maybe ever played.

I agree with the rest of the review though. That server sync after every section is insanely bad.

Totally. The tutorial goes for far too long and I wonder if there was a better way to explain the complex structure of the game. Game director said on an interview that they considered the From Software approach of not explaining anything and let people find out. I think that would’ve been a disaster since even with the tutorial you take your time to understand the loop structure and how the different daytimes affect chasing the leads.

I’m on the end game and the game is all you could ask for in terms of fluid gameplay and level exploration. I do hate the logging into server after finishing a run. I’ve said before, there are too many stops and starts to make it a perfect game.
100% agreed

Beat it the other day and I loved it.

Pros
+My first Arkane game. Now I can see why so many people love Prey and the Dishonored series.
+Environments are so much fun to explore at different times of day to see what was switched up.
+The enemies are IDIOTS...but it's explained why that is in the story. I feel like they integrated a reason for some of the bad AI behavior into the world itself. Thought that was funny.
+I've been waiting for time loop games to finally become popular, and we're here at last.
+Legendary weapons that transform are so dope. The dual pistols and that shotgun I used the whole game along with a silenced pistol. More of that please.

Cons
-I felt as though it was easy to get way too powerful way too quickly. Stealth felt like a bore once enemies with rare drops appear in the wild, and any normal gun can become a powerhouse. It also took away from sidequests like "What's in this safe that needs a crank?" Or "What's behind this door with three combinations?" Usually just guns that are weaker than the ones I found while finding the combinations. Anything purple should not have been dropped or found in the wild by anyone. Maybe Julianna could've dropped 1-2 instead. I think they were going for a randomized loot thing, but I'd prefer less and more quality than more and useless by the end.
-I was hoping for a bit more Majora's Mask-isms to exist. The whole "guys digging a hole, come back later!" Leads to jack shit. More manipulation from morning/noon should've affected afternoon/evening more. Scenarios like, "What if I kill Fia then meet up with Charlie?" that could result in more purple upgrades/guns or something. I know they did this somewhat with Frank, but i just wish there was more in the world overall.

Lastly, I'm hoping there's DLC that shuffles everything around more. Give more backstory as to who the Visionaries are, who they were before the loop, their relationship with Colt, etc. Maybe be able to kill all Visionaries in one loop but in many different ways. That could add plenty of replay value just by shuffling around characters. Explain it away with quantum theory or something, I'm not picky.

Last edited:

tommib

Finished!

So, I didn’t shoot Juliana. Was that the good ending? They both seemed entertained after that. :) Dialogue between those two is a major highlight of the game.

Fools idol

Banned
So I just finished the game and immediately ran through again to collect some straggler trophies.

For those of you who have completed the game, the plot thickens, as it seems some have discovered some weird easter egg / secrets hidden deep in this game that may suggest a story connection with dishonred, which is pretty cool.

It has legs too. Apparently if you mess around with Egor's experiment in certain ways you can start to see visual anomolies popping up all over the world, and for a cherry on top, some early leaks of the game information directly references a timeline progression from The Outsider spinoff game.

Death of the Outsider to the Horizon project -> Aeon project), here's some photos btw, this isn't bs.

From what I have read elsewhere (need to play myself to confirm) there may also be a 4th hidden ending if you do some things in a certain way that changes Egor's experiment. I expect this kind of thing is to set up DLC and or a sequel at some point, but hey its cool to speculate huh.

Is the campaign story long? Does it follow a mission format?

Yep, it follows mission format, but the missions are intertwined between the 4 sections of black reef where you get to explore across 4 different time of day conditions. For instance, to get a specific code to unlock a room, you'd have explored section A in morning, here the game will further ask you to explore section D in the evening or vice versa to finally get the code to finish a mission.

Mossybrew

I think the game overstays its welcome a bit, I'm close to the end, I think I have two more "quests" to finish up to get everyone where they need to be, but I'm already feeling boredom set in. Had all the slab upgrades for a while now, haven't seen a new trinket in ages, just kinda getting bored of these levels at this point. At the point where I should be pushing through to finally finish this thing I find myself playing Kena instead.

Luipadre

Thanks, Returnal has some "exploration"? I like exploration, I'm a Souls-Borne fan and I like not only the difficulty but the exploration aspects of those games.

Yes it has. You explore different "rooms" all the time with random elements. Also the combat is addicting as hell and super tight in returnal and the atmosphere/music is amazing aswell. You cant go wrong with that game

GHG

Thanks, Returnal has some "exploration"? I like exploration, I'm a Souls-Borne fan and I like not only the difficulty but the exploration aspects of those games.

If you like exploration get Deathloop. It's miles ahead in that aspect.

Fools idol

Banned
just gonna say it - replaying dishonored and it's waaaaaaaaay better than this. I mean I enjoyed the shit out of Deathloop but Dishonored IS Arkanes best.

Dr. Suchong

So I just finished the game and immediately ran through again to collect some straggler trophies.

For those of you who have completed the game, the plot thickens, as it seems some have discovered some weird easter egg / secrets hidden deep in this game that may suggest a story connection with dishonred, which is pretty cool.

It has legs too. Apparently if you mess around with Egor's experiment in certain ways you can start to see visual anomolies popping up all over the world, and for a cherry on top, some early leaks of the game information directly references a timeline progression from The Outsider spinoff game.

Death of the Outsider to the Horizon project -> Aeon project), here's some photos btw, this isn't bs.

From what I have read elsewhere (need to play myself to confirm) there may also be a 4th hidden ending if you do some things in a certain way that changes Egor's experiment. I expect this kind of thing is to set up DLC and or a sequel at some point, but hey its cool to speculate huh.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing 😊👍
Finished it tonight but looking forward to exploring the stages more and mopping up the trophies.

Mossybrew

After 10 hours of this game - ready to call it my GOTY. After 15, deleted it off my hard drive out of sheer boredom, add it to the list of games I loved at first but then never finished because they couldn't sustain my interest.

Mossybrew OUT.

EDIT those hour playtimes are complete guesses, I have no concept of how long I played this game.

Last edited:

GHG

just gonna say it - replaying dishonored and it's waaaaaaaaay better than this. I mean I enjoyed the shit out of Deathloop but Dishonored IS Arkanes best.

Prey is my personal favourite but yeh, both of those games are better than Deathloop.

All of my gripes with Deathloop come from them streamlining the immersive sim formula too much and for that reason it annoys me that it reviewed better. The last thing we need is for yet another niche genre to be dumbed down.

Did they patch this game up to be good yet?

Here's some advice, patch yourself out of the thread.

Last edited:
Spoilers for the mission

The party is easy if you know who Aleksis is. Kill the first 3 people in Updaam with Nexus, then go into the first building on the left, and hug the cliff wall all the way around to Dorsey Manor using Shift. Go up on the roof, at the spot where you hear party guests talking about "chocolate beer". Egor and Wenjei can be linked with Nexus and insta-headshot. (Use nail gun so you don't aggro the party). Then drop down under the roof, and there's a doorway that leads to the ceiling of the room where Aleksis is located. Shift behind the big scoreboard, and there's a button that will drop the person on stage into a meat grinder. Alexsis is the guy talking about raising pharmaceutical prices. Simply hit the button when he's on stage, and you'll have all 3 down. Shift back the way you came, and there will be no enemies there to stop you. Takes less than 5 minutes using the slabs you're already using.

After 10 hours of this game - ready to call it my GOTY. After 15, deleted it off my hard drive out of sheer boredom, add it to the list of games I loved at first but then never finished because they couldn't sustain my interest.

Mossybrew OUT.

EDIT those hour playtimes are complete guesses, I have no concept of how long I played this game.
And this is why I think it's extremely important for a reviewer to actually finish a game before posting their review. I can't count how many games I have played where my opinion changed drastically by continuing to play to the end.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Jonathan Ferguson, a weapons expert and Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries, breaks down the weaponry of Deathloop, including a pair of pistols that transform into a submachine gun, a shotgun with 2 magazines, and Colt’s trusty sidearm, the Limp-10.

In the latest video in the Firearm Expert Reacts series, Jonathan Ferguson--a weapons expert and Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries--breaks down the guns of Deathloop and compares them to their real-life counterparts.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Got the Plat :)

Honestly loved this game. It was no way a 10, but yeah, Arkane make good shit. Trophy was fun too.

D72-B52-E6-6299-4-FB0-8-BA3-AE7-AF8-BCFA64.jpg

saintjules

New update:

DEATHLOOP’S GAME UPDATE 1 NOW AVAILABLE​

OCTOBER 14, 2021

DEATHLOOP’s first major game update is now available on PlayStation 5 and PC. Game Update 1 improves several aspects of the gameplay experience, camera smoothness and NPC behaviors. It also resolves several issues that could cause the game to crash.

• Added HDR calibration screen to UI options
  • Improved performance and stability when ray tracing is turned on
  • Improved NPC pathing and reactions to the player
  • Added an indicator of poor connection quality in the upper right of the screen (resembles a speedometer with an exclamation point)
  • Improved the content of PS5 Activities & Game Help systems
  • Improved vibrations on DualSense controller
  • Improved audio mix quality
  • Fixed laser mines, turrets and fireworks behavior for both Colt and Julianna players
  • Fixed unlock issue with “Oops” and “Deathday Suit” trophies
  • Fixed issue that could cause Colt’s progression to be reset even if player chose ‘no’ on confirmation
  • Fixed crash issue when a player unlocks a feat using Havoc while playing as Julianna
  • Fixed Aleksis Dorsey reactions, making him easier to identify among his party guests
  • Fixed issue that was causing assassinations to glitch sometimes while playing as Julianna
  • Julianna’s actions no longer directly unlock trophies for Colt
  • Julianna players will no longer hear radio conversations meant for only Colt
  • Fixed issue with leaning inconsistency (inputs will no longer be ignored sporadically)

Last edited:

Banned
i sadly don't see
• Fixed absolutely terrible FOV and Controller aiming on PS5

and as long as that isn't in the patch notes, the game will remain unplayable for me on console.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Finally finished it. Can freely say, critics are, no shock here, idiots as always. Opinions don't even matter. Deathloop is factually worse than Prey or Dishonored 2 in level design among other things. Colt and Julie carry the game story and are hilarious at times but the main story and the end was dog shit. 7/10 is what i'd give it at best but 10 out of 10 and "one of the best games ever" shut the fuck up. I know why critics praised it and you know it as well. Giving Prey a 5 or 6 while giving Deathloop a 10 pretty much proves my point.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I loved Dishonored, was looking forward to this. Finally started and I just can't get into it. I'm not sure why. Did it take anyone else a while to get into it? Not sure if I should push on or take a break and come back when I'm more in the mood.

Pretty interesting game, however, runs like garbage and the f*cking aiming is atrocious on controller (is it aim acceleration?). You just realize, for all the flaws, FPSs like COD have spoiled me on weapon handling. Those guys have it down to a science.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I finished this game and it was a solid 7.5/10

What I liked:
1. The banter between Colt and Julianna was hilarious
2. Excellent story and progression.
3. Solid level design, but not Arkane's best by any means.
4. Fairly challenging at times. If you died, you had to restart the entire day. No checkpoints or autosaves.
5. Not a whole lot of handholding.

What I didn't like:
As fun as the game was, it was one of the most frustrating and infuriating experiences I have been in a long time. The game needs many quality of life fixes that shouldn't alter the experience, but remove some of the tediousness.
1. Stealth was at times broken. Enemies could see you from a mile away and they would all converge upon your location no matter how far away you were from the action. This created major Havok at times.
2. The die and restart the loop thing made for a challenge, but it started to get old when the above issues reared their ugly head.
3. Julianna invasions got REALLY aggravating at times. That was a huge part of the game, but I found it created far more frustration than fun, especially towards the end.
4. You are stuck with the loadout you choose at the beginning of the map and can't change it. This was downright infuriating when you accidentally started a level with the wrong loadout. It meant you either had to complete the level with the given loadout or quit the level and progress into another day with the preferred loadout.
5. Enemies would just swarm you if you were spotted and it was insane how many kept appearing.

Some major quality of life fixes I'd like to see in future updates.
1. The ability to switch weapons/powers after you start the level. Have it in the tunnel. maybe even make it a one time thing so you don't have to repeat the loop when you are trying to do a perfect run. Or give players the option to restart the map so they can pick a new loadout. You could exit the game and it would restart the map, but you were still stuck with the same loadout. No reason that can't be fixed.
2. Have the option to turn off Julianna invasions after you complete the main game once. Caused wayy too much frustration when she would appear when you were trying to stealth your way through an area and do some trophy cleanups. On Fia's reactor level this was a whole new level of frustration.

Those two things would alter the experience.

Stuff I'd like to see in a sequel.
1. Have more ways to end the game instead of doing the perfect day. The game had one way to get to the ending. It would be nice to have a game where there were multiple ways to get to the ending.

Top Bottom