• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"DEATHLOOP" |OT| Down the rabbit hole, everyone's a winner

Dr. Suchong

Haven't had much time to play what with Hospital visit and work etc , but god I love shift. Upgraded it 4 times and Managed to get the drop on Charlie in his building by Shifting to a high upstairs window and knifing him. Exactly like Blink in Dishonored obviously, and I adored that power.

Filldo

What's everyone's favourite slab combos?

Mine has to be Shift and Aether right now for stealthier runs, but I am interested in putting more time into Nexus for clearing out rooms in a fast time.
I’m finally getting shift upgraded and I love it cause it’s pure dishonored. Nexus is my favorite though, I have two upgrades I think and have taken out huge groups. Got a string of six or seven guys and hit one with the unscoped sniper rifle thing, I can’t remember the name, but I have explosive rounds so it was glorious. Also had one point where I missed a silent kill on a group of four, unloaded trying to kill one of them and the guy ended up falling off the cliff taking everyone with him. Laughed so hard!

balt1kr1s

With total 35 hours of gameplay, got the platinum.
My first one with rarity below 1%.
From the beginning to first loop broken, played with no guide whatsoever but after that used one and took me about 8 hours to finish them off.(remaining trophies)
Really pleasant one, most of the trophies are proper fun :)

eA6qUaG.jpg

Last edited:

Mossybrew

So having played Julianna up to lvl 21, defending against her as Colt feels a lot more confident, since I know her capabilities and tendencies. 2-1 against invaders tonight so far. Ready to say that this is my GOTY at this point. About my only complaint is a minor one, that trinkets rapidly become redundant well before you finish the game, Im purpled out with exactly what I want and generally dont even need to deconstruct them for residuum.

Last edited:

tommib

I had a real sour run yesterday because of these sections that take your lives and powers away. I had so much fucking residium. Getting Returnal Vietnam flashbacks.

Last edited:

GHG

I had a real sour run yesterday because of these sections that take your lives and powers away. I had so much fucking residium. Getting Returnal Vietnam flashbacks.

The first time that happened to me I was baffled, I didn't realise the extra lifes were from a slab. I thought the game glitched out because I still had 2 extra lifes before one of those pesky turrets took away my slab abilities.

Mossybrew

That classpass thing sucks, there's a way to deactivate it if you get the code, I'd prioritize getting that done.

Last edited:

ebevan91

So having played Julianna up to lvl 21, defending against her as Colt feels a lot more confident, since I know her capabilities and tendencies. 2-1 against invaders tonight so far. Ready to say that this is my GOTY at this point. About my only complaint is a minor one, that trinkets rapidly become redundant well before you finish the game, Im purpled out with exactly what I want and generally dont even need to deconstruct them for residuum.

I just sprint/shift around everywhere now lol. Hardly even shoot anyone if I don't have to.

The first time that happened to me I was baffled, I didn't realise the extra lifes were from a slab. I thought the game glitched out because I still had 2 extra lifes before one of those pesky turrets took away my slab abilities.

Oh yeah I lost a couple good weapons, trinkets, and slab upgrades because of that. I thought "OK I can be a little careless here since I can still die 2 more t- oh."

Hugare

theres a passage by the back, on the rocks, where you can go in without giving away your powers. There are many locked doors inside, but you can hack your way to the target

There will always be another way

Always

Last edited:

GymWolf

Lol same, for a moment i forgot that the 3 lifes are a slabs like the other powers so they get disabled by the nullifier.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We talk to Co-Creative Director Dinga Bakaba about the unique design of Deathloop.
Don't worry, no spoilers.

0:00 - Introducing Deathloop
2:43 - Who was Deathloop Made for?
4:44 - Designing the Opening
7:57 - Objectives & Cognitive Load
10:26 - Visual Design of the 4 Areas
12:55 - The Kick & Scrapped Melee Combat
15:58 - Reacting to Players & Reviews
18:29 - Credits

Dr. Suchong

Turning off markers made me feel like a genius today when I worked out how to materialize a certain invisible object.
If a nitwit like me can fathom things without markers with the greatest of satisfaction, anyone can 😅👍

Dr. Suchong

One thing I just realized today, if you kill an invading Julianna, you get your reprise charges back when you loot her, if she has managed to kill you. Another home advantage for Colt.
I noticed this too. Four deaths were tallied at the end of one of my runs and this was the only conceivable reason I could think of.

Mossybrew

Aether/Ghost/Flicker, purp Renewable and Juiced Up, you can spend a ridiculous amount of time invisible, for me this has been huge in both PvE and PvP.

Certinty

I have no real interest to jump back in now I've completed the story. Going around the same areas and learning what was what and so on was fun for the 10-12 hours the story took me but now it just somewhat feels like a chore. Oh well, I got my enjoyment out of the game.

tommib

The first time is during the tutorial phase so she is controlled by ia (and probably dumbed down for that occasion), the other times is real people who control her.
You can still play offline against the easy AI like the little bitch that I am.

GymWolf

Yeah i'm about to finish the game myself, i think i'm gonna score an 8+.

Level design, world building and player agaency are still 10\10 like any arkane game but the game has some problems and it is overall inferior to dish series or maybe even prey (although i liked loop more than prey).

Curious to see how redfall is gonna shape up with the whole coop thingy...

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Am I still in the tutorial?

Got to the safe at my flat, it was empty then I killed a Julianna, got her ability to teleport forward and ended the day. Only now I’ve lost that ability it’s not in my load out. Do I have to get it again?

Got to the safe at my flat, it was empty then I killed a Julianna, got her ability to teleport forward and ended the day. Only now I’ve lost that ability it’s not in my load out. Do I have to get it again?
Yes. Keep following the leads. You'll eventually have the ability to infuse things and keep them in the next loop.

Last edited:

GymWolf

You really end the tutorial when you get the ability to collect residium and lock equip\slabs etc. in your personal arsenal between loops.

you are not far, maybe another hour of game or so.

Just go directly to the objective without exploring since it's pretty pointless until you get that ability.

SJRB

Gold Member
Good lord the AI in this game is so bad. They are either completely blind and deaf or they eagle-eye you from 500 feet or right through bushes or geometry. And their pathfinding is atrocious.

I hate wonky as fuck AI in stealth games.

I'm still very early on [making my way to my apartment the second time] but I'm not really feeling it. I was sold immediately on both Dishonored games and Prey, but this... I don't know, it might be too weird.

Last edited:

tommib

Still haven’t finished this and getting a bit lost with the end game missions. Need to find these 4 pictograms and I don’t know what they’re suppose to look like. Help?

tommib

One thing I just realized today, if you kill an invading Julianna, you get your reprise charges back when you loot her, if she has managed to kill you. Another home advantage for Colt.
Oh, so that’s why I get extra lives in some runs!

GHG

Good lord the AI in this game is so bad. They are either completely blind and deaf or they eagle-eye you from 500 feet or right through bushes or geometry. And their pathfinding is atrocious.

I hate wonky as fuck AI in stealth games.

I'm still very early on [making my way to my apartment the second time] but I'm not really feeling it. I was sold immediately on both Dishonored games and Prey, but this... I don't know, it might be too weird.

You're still very early on.

Get the residuum ability, do another full day and then see what you think. Once you start getting slabs it takes off IMO.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Still haven’t finished this and getting a bit lost with the end game missions. Need to find these 4 pictograms and I don’t know what they’re suppose to look like. Help?

They’re bright green, dotted about the building on the walls. Just examine every one you find and use the clues.

tommib

Ok, so I think I’m only missing the Devouring of Lambs lead:

n8SqDXj.jpg

Are there different endings? Anything I should be aware of?

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the game and I really like the setting/mood of the game, but I'm having a real hard time playing stealthy (which is always my preferred way to go). Sometimes you can have two enemies next to each other and just pick them off easily without the other one noticing, and sometimes when I think I'm being very sneaky, someone notices me from a distance far away, that I can't possibly anticipate. And as soon as they notice you, ten guys come running and try to gun you down.

Also, I'm very confused by a lot of stuff, game mechanics etc.. but I just got the

shift slab from Charlie

and it seems super useful and fun! So I hope this will help, and that I can get into the game more, because so far it has pretty much felt like a long tutorial where you need to learn some new game mechanic every five minutes.

tommib

I'm enjoying the game and I really like the setting/mood of the game, but I'm having a real hard time playing stealthy (which is always my preferred way to go). Sometimes you can have two enemies next to each other and just pick them off easily without the other one noticing, and sometimes when I think I'm being very sneaky, someone notices me from a distance far away, that I can't possibly anticipate. And as soon as they notice you, ten guys come running and try to gun you down.

Also, I'm very confused by a lot of stuff, game mechanics etc.. but I just got the

shift slab from Charlie

and it seems super useful and fun! So I hope this will help, and that I can get into the game more, because so far it has pretty much felt like a long tutorial where you need to learn some new game mechanic every five minutes.
The tutorial lasts at least 4 hours. It all will fall in place together. If you like the world then stick with it.

Last edited:

tommib

Ok, I'm quite confused with the Enact the plan mission (I've found something that could trick Aleksis into revealing himself). Do I need to stealth through the whole party to the DJ booth? I saw some controller with numbers but I'm lost here.

GymWolf

Finished a couple of days ago.

It's a 7\7,5\8 for me, slighlty inferior to prey and noticeably inferior to dish saga imo, but the level design is still god tier and finding shit\powers are still lot of fun, i didn't cared for the story\characters too much except for colt incredible VA.

VN1X

Banned
So you can only have two slabs equipped at any time. Does this mean in order to get new ones you'd have to first infuse the ones you want to keep and then in a mission when you get a new one, replace the infused one you have, exit the level and infuse the new one before the loop's over?

tommib

So you can only have two slabs equipped at any time. Does this mean in order to get new ones you'd have to first infuse the ones you want to keep and then in a mission when you get a new one, replace the infused one you have, exit the level and infuse the new one before the loop's over?
No lies detected.

tommib

I probably made that sound more complicated than needed but good to know that this is how you're supposed to do things. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Thanks!
Sometimes the game does allow to send new slabs or upgrades directly to the arsenal but I can't tell you why.

Top Bottom